Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Bunk Rogers posted:

Hitting Blue Duck Tavern this weekend. Any recommendations?

I was there like 3 weeks ago. The blood orange sorbet, glazed veal shortbreads, and bone marrow were pretty good. My brussel sprouts were burnt to the point that it negatively affected the rest of my meal (I could taste them until midway through my dessert). My date returned her sweet potato custard twice since it was too salty (it was) and didn't finish her rissoto for to the same reason. I did get a free glass of wine and they sent out free vanilla ice cream/blood orange sorbet with our apple pie, which was good but not nearly as good as people make it out to be in reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Stopped by Rasika West End yesterday before a show and we ordered off their Pre-Theatre menu, MY GIRLFRIEND has a garlic allergy and they were able to accommodate her allergy (she mentioned the Dal Dhungaree was a bit too plain, but then again it was missing delicious delicious garlic). The Palak Chaat is still my favorite dish of theirs and we were stuffed by the end of the 2nd course. We lost track of time so we skipped dessert so we wouldn't be late to the show and they told us to come back after for it and we did since they had already charged us for it.

Overall it was a pretty excellent meal and I kind of forgot how much food they serve you, so if we go to eat here again we'll probably just do two courses since we were both stuffed even after the 2 1/2 hours the play lasted.

Red Hen is pretty great, MY GF lives in Bloomingdale so she's eaten there a few more times than me and says their pastas are extremely consistent.

We're doing Barmini next week. Has anyone gone? If so, any recommendations (everyone mentions the Veruka Salt)?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

the_chavi posted:

Oh, and I finally went to Red Hen in Bloomingdale. Love at first nom.

Yes! They ended up closing early yesterday since the power went out on that block.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I stopped by the Petworth Citizen last night and had both the Kill Bill Vol 2 and the Smoked Old Fashioned and they're both pretty yummy.

Taking the lady to drinks at Barmini on Sat night. Hopefully they'll not be out of pineapple juice so I can order their Zombie cocktail.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

sneakymango posted:

I'm going to DC for the first time for a convention and am looking for the best meal I can get. I have emails into minibar and Sushi Taro. Seasonal Pantry looks interesting but a little douchey -- there are a lot of places like that in Seattle and some of them are more theater than substance. I know that sounds backwards with minibar on my list, but I'm looking to have entirely new experiences a la El Bulli (where I've not eaten) or Bocuse, Ducasse, or Georges Blanc (where I have), not just "the best 24-hour short ribs with local pygmy carrots you've ever had" etc. The night I have free is next saturday but there's only one of me. Where else should I look?

Komi or Little Serow (but you'd probable wait in line for 3 hours at Little Serow on a Saturday).

I did minibar with the ladyfriend last year for our birthdays (they're within a week of each others) and the food was interesting but I can't say I was actually full after eating there even after the 24 or however many "courses" we had. It was definitely more of an experience than anything else and we're glad we did it but I don't think we'll spring for it again. They were super accomadating to her eating restrictions though (vegeterian with a garlic allergy) and we got cocktails at barmini (which I love) next door after the meal.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Went to Crane and Turtle in Petworth last night. Think Japanese food but with lots and lots of butter. Stand-out dishes were a tempura matsutake and the chocolate cake with salted caramel (probably the best dessert I've eaten at a restaurant in years). The tables are a bit too close to each other, and service could have been a little more attentive at times, but worth a visit IMO, and not particularly expensive ($100/person for four courses, including wine).

The cake was pretty good and we sat at the counter so it was fun to see the cooks work. My gf was really into the roasted butternut squash but didn't care for her main that much (the vegetarian dish). I personally found the food a bit plain except for the bits of wasabi or chorizo.

I found my copy of my Minibar menu from last year and thought it would be fun to see the differences between the menu Wroughtirony posted. I remember the couple next to us was especially fun to watch since the lady wouldn't eat anything and guy was all positive about the food and really into the experience. Poor guy. Sorry for the lovely picture.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I was going to say Crystal City Restaurant for dinner... and a show.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
China Chilcano was pretty drat good. I ended up doing the Restaurant Week menu while my date had a few dishes that the manager checked on with the chef since she’s a special case (vegetarian with a garlic allergy whattup). The food is definitely a fusion between Chinese, Japanese and Peruvian cuisine, I think the most Peruvian dish I had was the ceviche which was pretty great. Lady friend started with fried plantain chips with a sweet potato/rocoto sauce (which had garlic so she couldn’t eat it), she had veggie dumplings (she used the remaining sauce as dip for the plaintains) and a salad. I also had a pork belly steam bun sandwich which was super delicious and had the Aeropuerto which is basically fried rice with 20 different veggies (it has the cutest baby carrots and there are also veggies shaped like planes so you can recreate 9/11 using your chopsticks and drink glasses!). For dessert I had a condensed milk custard with passion fruit and the lady had a pretty cool dessert from the regular menu, it was a fried cookie on top of chocolate with fried plantain and some really weird ice cream. It was yummy.

My favorite part of the night was watching a couple come in and try to walk-in without a reservation, told they could have a seat by the bar (it was full) and then try to sit on the table next to us only to have the hostess tell them that that table was not in fact by the bar. What makes people think that they can just go and sit at an empty table?

The atmosphere is interesting since there's like 4 different sections to the restaurant and they have their own theme. There were giant red lights on the ceiling and a giant red swirl kept reflecting off my glasses so that was a bit annoying. There was also a giant painted lady face on the wall, which took me a while to notice since I was seated right by the chin.

Overall a pretty great meal with two cocktails for about $65 each. It was a rare instance where the Restaurant Week pricing paid off since my food would have added up to around $50 by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

foutre posted:

Hi -- I was wondering if anyone has reccomendations for good places to go for Valentines Day that won't be completely booked up.

Although I'm open to any sort of food, if they have really good biscuits and/or rare steaks that would be great.
Just start waiting at Rose's Luxury at 12PM so you can get an 11PM seating imo.

Here's a handy guide. http://brightestyoungthings.com/articles/the-best-restaurants-in-dc-that-dont-take-reservations-2015.htm

• Locked thread