Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
My word, that was something. I could read you guys riffing like that all day! Though I do hope you mix up the format a bit more in the future, this was the perfect way to tackle that film. Good lord!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Yes, they reviewed Zombie 90: Extreme Pestilence!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
HAHAHA!! The dub on this is great. I don't even want to watch the movie, just have the dub of this playing in the background.

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

My word, that was something. I could read you guys riffing like that all day! Though I do hope you mix up the format a bit more in the future, this was the perfect way to tackle that film. Good lord!

Much appreciated! And yeah that's the general idea - at this point we're mostly just trying to take it on a movie-by-movie basis, and we've got a lot of other stuff to play around with still so we're not planning on locking down any one permanent style in the foreseeable future.

dog nougat posted:

HAHAHA!! The dub on this is great. I don't even want to watch the movie, just have the dub of this playing in the background.

I'm really hoping somebody makes an insane music mix out of this as soon as possible (hint hint).

Speaking of which if anybody figures out who did the dubbing for this movie tell him to get in touch with us immediately because there is some serious work to be done.

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

With just about 24 hours left before this week's review goes up we thought it might be fun to share a few of our favorite Netflix reviews for Ghost Cat to set the mood:

HorriBilly posted:

i think that this movie is going to be popular and great. well forget you all that said it was going to be horribily frekin not great.

Borat, Age 10 posted:

ghost CAT IS Really good movie about a dead cat who does good for his dead mama. good movie [, is nice,] i like margert

Romeo Girl 5=11=13 posted:

I don't see how anyone could not like this movie. So what if it's predictable, it's alot better than the stupid movies they make now adays with the stupid twist endings. At least this one has a happy ending. Why do people wanna watch movies where it ends tragically????? No wonder the suicide rate is so high now adays. Movies are suppose to be entertaining and give you a happy escape, not make you depressed. Anyway, sorry got off subject. This movie is a cute tale about a wonderful cat named Margaret and how she helps bring justice into the lives of those around her. And I remember Micheal Ontkean from the 70's show I think it was called Rookies or something. Anyway, this is a good story for people of all ages!!!! Romeo Girl 5=11=13

Some Idiot posted:

It all starts, when 15 year old Natalie moves into a, dead, woman's house, but, what Natalie doesn't know is that the owner's beloved cat died a couple days after her's, and that now, see tile, the cat is a ghost!!! This is a movie that is fun for the hole family!!! Hope you enjoy!!!

Movie Witch posted:

It's said that cats live in 2 worlds. It's why they are the most common familiars for those who practice Wicca be it among a coven or as a sole practitioner. B/c they are of 2 world, they can easily pass back & forth along the realm until their work is done or that of their handler or human pet. In this case, an elderly woman passes away and her cat follows her in death but returns in a ghost form to facilitate assistance in helping the people closest to the cat's human pet/handler. Unlike what other reviews claim, this Ghost Cat does have a prominent part in the film - actually one of the most important parts... It's as if those who wrote the reviews claiming the title Ghost Cat along with the creature in general were of no substance in the film but they are totally wrong or they were not watching the film I did. This Ghost Cat stayed extremely busy throughout the film... It's a wonderful young adult film. No gore; no guts or blood; however, there is a lot of what others may call coincidences. Sometimes you have to suspect the normal and understand the abnormal even if it comes from the other plane of existence.

A Crazy Person posted:

I give this movie a B. I give the cat Margaret AKA "Baretta" a A++ just because it is hard to control a cat…. The B is because the movie is miss named, it should have been "Angel Cat"..not "Ghost Cat".. The title is miss leading. This movie should be seen by all young people. It shows a compassionate aspect of respect for all animals…and not to mention the “Angel Cat” who saves the day.. I found this to be very cute and worth the watch once you understand it is not a thriller about a nasty/killer cat…. I did enjoy a young “Juno”…. Check this movie out…from a crazy cat lady…I really do believe that angels can help us and come in many forms…and a cat is not that far from reality….PURRRRR

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Ghost Cat

So the ghost cat doesn't talk? Not even to other animals nor to the audience? What's the point then?

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Onomarchus posted:

Ghost Cat

So the ghost cat doesn't talk? Not even to other animals nor to the audience? What's the point then?

No see that would just be crazy because cats can't talk and if the cat did anything other than nodding out on the mantlepiece like a Trainspotting extra it would overstimulate the children.

Plus I guess they realized that if the cat communicated through anything more useful than staring at stuff prosaically/leaving ghost-steamers in the litterbox it would've been harder to stretch the "suspense" out for 90-minutes.

Hydrogen
May 12, 2001

Keep It Unreal
Fresh from the salt mines of Fistula VIII or some such, this week we're gritting our teeth and enduring the final entry in the Recon saga! Here's a little taste of things to come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaUk_Rl5AcA

If there's one thing that clip proves, it's that Recon 2023 is terrible. But if there are two things it proves, the second is that the flame wipe is the most underappreciated of all transitions.

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Hydrogen posted:

Fresh from the salt mines of Fistula VIII or some such, this week we're gritting our teeth and enduring the final entry in the Recon saga! Here's a little taste of things to come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaUk_Rl5AcA

If there's one thing that clip proves, it's that Recon 2023 is terrible. But if there are two things it proves, the second is that the flame wipe is the most underappreciated of all transitions.

If God wanted any other wipes to be used then he shouldn't have invented the fire wipe.

Oh, speaking of God and there not being one, I discovered accidentally while we were writing this last one that Powder was remade by Bollywood in 2006 as Alag: He Is Different.... He Is Alone.... Just thought I'd put that out there, because I'm not carrying that poo poo around alone.

Edit: Silly me, how could I forget to include the (probably?) Official Trailer, Feat. Some German Guy Talking!?

Trillaphon fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 10, 2013

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I managed to get a friend with a Nexflix account to scroll up A Talking Cat!?!

I wasn't aware you could make a movie out of greater than 50% b-roll, stock footage and monounsaturated grain byproduct, but there it is. There's a lake in that motherfucker that has more screen time than the cat. My favorite part was the end when the cast is looking for the cat's collar in the woods that are simultaneously somewhere deep the pacific northwest's wilderness and within visible range of the mom's Malibu home. Also, my favorite part was the end because that's when it was over.

Epitome of Macho
Jan 9, 2006
Insert title text here.
I just saw VGHS and I've got to say, you didn't lay into the acting as much as you could have. Granted, there was a lot of bad acting to pick from, and both BrianD and the Law were great examples of it, but Ted Wong (Johnny Wong? I don't know anymore) is bad enough to be considered a crime against humanity.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm not a fan of that show or anything, but this one felt like it was kind of reaching. The clips you linked seemed like pretty standard comedy fare to me, there wasn't anything really egregious about them.

Hydrogen
May 12, 2001

Keep It Unreal

Epitome of Macho posted:

I just saw VGHS and I've got to say, you didn't lay into the acting as much as you could have. Granted, there was a lot of bad acting to pick from, and both BrianD and the Law were great examples of it, but Ted Wong (Johnny Wong? I don't know anymore) is bad enough to be considered a crime against humanity.

You're right about this, we sort of got focused into a sort of burning hatred tunnel-vision with BrianD, because he's consistently on-screen and consistently painful (truly, he is destined to become the Shia LeBeouf of acting.) But there were some moments from the side characters, particularly the Wongs' brother-brother-father-son interactions which are at least as weird to watch as they probably were to act out.

Android Blues posted:

I'm not a fan of that show or anything, but this one felt like it was kind of reaching. The clips you linked seemed like pretty standard comedy fare to me, there wasn't anything really egregious about them.

We went back and forth on the clips in this one, and looking back I have to agree with you that we didn't pick the most egregious examples of bad acting/groan-worthy jokes/BrianD loving up, etc. (except for the "roflcopter" clip.) But trust me when I say it wasn't a reach for us to review this movie. If you don't believe us, feel free to go watch it for yourself, but don't say we didn't warn you.

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, in retrospect I think that's definitely a fair point, and I can see how some things got lost in translation here - especially in the editing process, which turned out to be kind of a mess for this one for a lot of reasons. We actually originally had a more detailed character roster and a bunch of other stuff that we had to pare down because it was just too unwieldy for a review this size, but it's hard to say how it would've turned out if we'd gone a different way.

Either way though, thanks for the feedback, it's always appreciated and we do actually try to fold as much of it as we can into how we approach these every week, good or bad.

Exree
Oct 7, 2000
Ignore.

Exree fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 1, 2013

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Exree posted:

I'm the writer/director of the SA movie of the week this week, Nor'easter. There's a thread about it going on in CD:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560737

But I'll also discuss it here if people have a chance to check it out and want to ask questions. It's available now on iTunes, Amazon, VUDU, cable On Demand, and other platforms.

Here's the review:

http://www.somethingawful.com/current-movie-reviews/wolverine-ripd/5/

Pssssssssst... wrong thread. You want to be over here.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Trillaphon posted:

Either way though, thanks for the feedback, it's always appreciated and we do actually try to fold as much of it as we can into how we approach these every week, good or bad.

The creators posted here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486575

Pretty much everyone but the non-writing cast has an account and is responding to your review

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

The creators posted here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486575

Pretty much everyone but the non-writing cast has an account and is responding to your review

Yeah, thanks for posting this, somebody pointed it out to us a few days ago and I'd been meaning to mention it at some point in case other people were curious. There's certainly been an interesting range of reactions from this one - it's pretty weird to see so many of the people directly involved in making it posting about it here (we had no idea so many of them were goons) but it's always cool to see this stuff getting read/talked about in places where it otherwise might not've. A few of them even seemed to like it so :smugbird:

Sadly this week's movie won't be nearly as controversial, but it does involve the guy who directed Troll 2, the lead Beefcake from that infamous classic Space Mutiny, and the director of the somewhat less infamous Shocking Dark.

Spoiler alert: it got a robot

e: and a bird

Exree posted:

Ignore.

Trillaphon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 4, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Trillaphon posted:

Yeah, thanks for posting this, somebody pointed it out to us a few days ago and I'd been meaning to mention it at some point in case other people were curious. There's certainly been an interesting range of reactions from this one - it's pretty weird to see so many of the people directly involved in making it posting about it here (we had no idea so many of them were goons) but it's always cool to see this stuff getting read/talked about in places where it otherwise might not've. A few of them even seemed to like it so :smugbird:
Yeah I feel obligated to mention I actually know those guys personally not that anyone was clamoring for transparency on my part. I actually met Freddie through SA way back in the day before youtube even, he's been around.

Trillaphon posted:

e: and a bird

Oh man is it that Predator knockoff Robowar with the Space Mutiny guy in it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onbkXlzzywU

:allears: I feel like we should make this one a book club style viewing

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Oh man is it that Predator knockoff Robowar with the Space Mutiny guy in it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onbkXlzzywU

:allears: I feel like we should make this one a book club style viewing

Oh it sure is - I actually feel that way about a lot of these, and this one just so happens to be available on youtube in case anyone wants to join us in Club Robowar!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Trillaphon posted:

Oh it sure is - I actually feel that way about a lot of these, and this one just so happens to be available on youtube in case anyone wants to join us in Club Robowar!

We once watched ROTOR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJV3qFsaozE at a goon's place. It's probably even worse.

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

We once watched ROTOR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJV3qFsaozE at a goon's place. It's probably even worse.

Okay who gave you our top secret crappy movie list? God almighty (or whatever blood-eating heathen death lord presides over 1980s sci-fi) couldn't keep us from doing R.O.T.O.R. We won't rest until we've been cited in the Critical Reception section of every single horrible Terminator/Robocop/Predator ripoff's wiki as evidence that "critical responses to the movie(s) have been predominantly negative."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Trillaphon posted:

Okay who gave you our top secret crappy movie list? God almighty (or whatever blood-eating heathen death lord presides over 1980s sci-fi) couldn't keep us from doing R.O.T.O.R. We won't rest until we've been cited in the Critical Reception section of every single horrible Terminator/Robocop/Predator ripoff's wiki as evidence that "critical responses to the movie(s) have been predominantly negative."

It's worth watching ROTOR for this scene alone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHZQnpK_mgY

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
You may also remember Ray Wise as President Michael Dugan in Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnd0qg4I_MM

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Command Ant posted:

You may also remember Ray Wise as President Michael Dugan in Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnd0qg4I_MM

Oh god my brain

Hydrogen
May 12, 2001

Keep It Unreal

Who's ready for a racial/religious allegory, sudden-onset male pregnancy, and Dennis Quaid's luxurious hobo beard?

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Hydrogen posted:

Who's ready for a racial/religious allegory, sudden-onset male pregnancy, and Dennis Quaid's luxurious hobo beard?

A little puzzled by this movie being here. Everything else I've seen reviewed is embarrassing poo poo that most people haven't heard of. This movie had a real director and cast, actual script, budget, special effects etc.

I grew up with this movie and like it so maybe I'm biased. :shrug:

Hydrogen
May 12, 2001

Keep It Unreal

meat gnome posted:

A little puzzled by this movie being here. Everything else I've seen reviewed is embarrassing poo poo that most people haven't heard of. This movie had a real director and cast, actual script, budget, special effects etc.

I grew up with this movie and like it so maybe I'm biased. :shrug:

As we admitted in the review, Enemy Mine doesn't really fit in with our usual fare, but it's just such a bizarre spectacle of a movie that we couldn't resist. It's the weirdness more than anything that put it into our crosshairs.

That being said, there are little things we could nitpick. Like the scene where Davidge and Jerry literally go from awake and screaming at each other to asleep holding each others' throats in about a minute. Or the whole time-wasting plot arc at the end where Davidge has to be killed by the space miners, resurrected, come back to miners' ship with no extra preparation and then saves his lizard-frog foster child.

Short answer: someone coming to this movie fresh as an adult is probably going to be less forgiving about the little details. But anyone will probably have a blast watching it. We despise most of the films we review with a burning passion but we've always had a soft spot for Enemy Mine.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
One thing that's really interesting about "Enemy Mine" is that it was a hot script for a couple of years, with studios thinking it could be a "Star Wars"-sized hit. Terry Gilliam was offered to direct it shortly after he did "Time Bandits", and shocked 20th Century Fox by not only turning it down, but also saying that he was interested in making his own films. By the way, the trailer, which gives away just about the entire movie, uses Philip Glass' score from "Mishima".

For a better version of essentially the same plot set-up, watch "Hell in the Pacific", with Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune. Please note that at no point does Toshiro Mifune become pregnant.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Robert Denby posted:

One thing that's really interesting about "Enemy Mine" is that it was a hot script for a couple of years, with studios thinking it could be a "Star Wars"-sized hit. Terry Gilliam was offered to direct it shortly after he did "Time Bandits", and shocked 20th Century Fox by not only turning it down, but also saying that he was interested in making his own films. By the way, the trailer, which gives away just about the entire movie, uses Philip Glass' score from "Mishima".

For a better version of essentially the same plot set-up, watch "Hell in the Pacific", with Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune. Please note that at no point does Toshiro Mifune become pregnant.

Interesting. I wonder how bizarre it would have been with a Terry Gilliam hand behind it. I absolutely loved Twelve Monkeys and Time Bandits.

I haven't seen Hell in the Pacific, I'll have to check that out. To the best of my knowledge, Louis Gossett Jr. can actually spontaneously become pregnant in real life, which is why he was cast in this role.

D_13
Dec 27, 2005
Watched Enemy Mine for the first time recently and really did enjoy the first half, right up till Davidge dies then it goes downhill fast. It is quiet bizarre, Quaids facial range is fantastic though

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Have you done an animated film yet? I've got a suggestion. Yesterday I learned of an animated movie called Foodfight!. A trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uROQ9nplxIY

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Robert Denby posted:

One thing that's really interesting about "Enemy Mine" is that it was a hot script for a couple of years, with studios thinking it could be a "Star Wars"-sized hit. Terry Gilliam was offered to direct it shortly after he did "Time Bandits", and shocked 20th Century Fox by not only turning it down, but also saying that he was interested in making his own films.

Man, if Terry Gilliam had done this one I think heads would've actually been exploding in the aisles. Personally I'm kind of glad he ended up making Brazil instead though.

Robert Denby posted:

Oh, so Lee Marvin gets pregnant then? I'm pretty sure that either Lee Marvin or Toshiro Mifune getting pregnant would instantly transform any movie they ever made into the greatest comedy of all time.

D_13 posted:

Watched Enemy Mine for the first time recently and really did enjoy the first half, right up till Davidge dies then it goes downhill fast. It is quiet bizarre, Quaids facial range is fantastic though

It's certainly entertaining any way you slice it, and kind of hard to stop watching once you've started - the weirdness is a big part of that (and why we decided to do it), as is Dennis Quaid's face. There are times in that movie where it seems like he seriously must be having a contest with himself to see if he can cover every human emotion in 30 seconds or less.

meat gnome posted:

To the best of my knowledge, Louis Gossett Jr. can actually spontaneously become pregnant in real life, which is why he was cast in this role.

We can neither confirm nor deny this but off the record it's 100% true I've seen him do it it's amazing

Onomarchus posted:

Have you done an animated film yet? I've got a suggestion. Yesterday I learned of an animated movie called Foodfight!. A trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uROQ9nplxIY

Have I told you recently that I hate you Onomarchus? Now that you mention it I don't think we've covered anything you could call animated yet, although one of the movies we've currently got in the works is half-animated. That trailer sure is a god drat disaster though, and even though you're obviously just trying to exploit our weakness for titles with punctuation in them, I'll go ahead and add it to the list of requests/suggestions to look into.

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

I remember reading the original short story version of Enemy Mine (in 1979 oh god I am getting old) and really liking it. When I heard there was going to be a movie I knew that the whole pregnancy bit wouldn't come across well. I didn't hate the film but it could have been so much more. Now that I know about the possible Gilliam one I want to go back in time and have that be made instead.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Trillaphon posted:

That trailer sure is a god drat disaster though
Oh, dude, the trailer shows off the good parts

Edit: it also needs stating that the "bad guys" are a store brand called Brand X that are a direct Nazi analogue, the Charlie Sheen character is Casablanca's Rick and the moral of the story is I-am-not-making GBS threads-you that children should support major brands over generic brands because colorful packaging and mascots make products fun and give them souls (unlike generic brands, which are literally Hitler)

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 24, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

DoombatINC posted:

Oh, dude, the trailer shows off the good parts

Good parts, as in some of the trailer animation is more finished than the final product.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I like to imagine you guys watched ROTOR because of the write-up I did in PYF back in February. It's my favorite bad film ever. Thank you for hopefully bringing it to more people's attention.

Justice served. C.O.D.

Hydrogen
May 12, 2001

Keep It Unreal

Little Mac posted:

I like to imagine you guys watched ROTOR because of the write-up I did in PYF back in February. It's my favorite bad film ever. Thank you for hopefully bringing it to more people's attention.

Justice served. C.O.D.

You, sir, have excellent taste in terrible movies. ROTOR has actually been on our radar since before we noticed the PYF thread, but we're glad you've been out there informing people of the glorious insanity too.

Our movie-rating scale isn't exactly calibrated to scientific pinpoint precision, but if there's one thing that's sacred it's a perfect -50 score, and we knew halfway through watching ROTOR that it would join that elite category. There's just a certain aura of catastrophe around a -50 movie that makes it impossible to turn away from. Pretty much every scene has to be seen to be believed, that's why we went so video-heavy this week.

Everyone should see ROTOR, preferably with a few friends and a couple of drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ahahaha you guys chose ROTOR, all because of me :allears:

Also I'm kinda sad I never finished Arena. Mostly because goons ruin Netflix nights

• Locked thread