Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Anyone know if there's a way to save the wiki for offline use? I've got a long plane flight coming up and I still rely on the wiki an embarrassing amount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Wanderer posted:

If you don't ever talk to your spouse, your reputation with them goes down fast.

Pro tip: this also works in game

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I know what would make this game even better! Much shittier art, but designed by ME

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

100 hours perfecting your farm, 1300 trying to beat journey of the prairie king :argh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Crab pot sashimi turned Abigail from a nerdy loner into the mother of my children

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

How come everyone hates Clint?

Hits too close to home :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

My first playthrough I never had a good relationship with Clint because the entire first season or so I kept trying to open geodes by giving them to him, rather than the shop dialogue. Clint loving hates geodes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I played this game for an embarassingly long time before I realised the kitchen fridge counts as a storage chest

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Just be careful what you put inside. When you're cooking the game will automatically pull from your fridge so if there's a food item you don't want to accidentally cook it's best to keep it elsewhere.

I think, like everyone else, I learned this the hard way!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Fishing sucks to start off with, and imo it never gets that great. You can get foods that buff your fishing skill (which makes the catching window larger), so maybe try those. You can also upgrade the fishing pole and use the bobber and lure to help too.

Even failed attempts raise your fishing xp, so eventually you’ll level up a few times and it’ll be less painful.

If you need specific items for the community centre, try the travelling merchant too. She often sells random things that you might need.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I think the thing with the shorts quest is that if you think of it like an RPG quest that needs to be solved Now (and to be fair, most of the early quests are designed to be done fairly quickly), then it's going to be confusing since there's not really a hint about where they might be. But if you take the long term view and think about who Lewis hangs around with and talks to a lot, you'll figure it out.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Coolguye posted:

yeah the main use for fishing is if you find the minigame fun - beyond that, crab pots that give you low-effort way to make sashimi and a small but consistent flow of trash to recycle into useful stuff. that's the biggest utilitarian argument you can make for the entire system, it certainly is not money (especially in multiplayer where time doesn't freeze while you're fishing) and it certainly is not resources to repurpose.

Almost everyone in town likes Sashimi as well, so keeping a big stack on hand is great for gifting. Nothing says "be my girlfriend" like a bunch of snail sushi that's been in your backpack for weeks :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I had one cow get stuck outside for like two entire seasons. No matter what, it just wouldn't go back inside. It definitely had valid paths back to the doors - no walls or gates, but every day it just refused to return to the barn. It kept getting in the way of things so I eventually just deleted it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just proposed to Leah and … that’s it? Welp I guess I’m married now.

Nope.

The actual wedding is in a few days, after which she will move in to the farmhouse

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm having problems finding Krobus. I know I've found him before, but I thought I did it by having a key to the sewer. Can somebody give me a vague hint as to where I should be looking? I don't want to just look it up on the Wiki,, but a nudge would be a help.

Yes, someone gives you a key. It’s a reward for finding a certain number of something.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Just lol if you don’t have a spare coop filled in entirely with rabbits just because they look cute

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Coolguye posted:

*steps into a barn of rabbits, feet slowly consuming the floors. rabbits are losing feet at an alarming rate attempting to hop over the discarded feet. alpha rabbits have begun guarding the feeder, forcing others off with powerful kicks that occasionally break off their feet*

*a very ancestor voice* soon you will know the tragic extent of my failings........

Imagine four rabbits at the edge of a cliff

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Maybe they ran for public office and didn’t want their 10-year history of edgy jokes getting dug up

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

I'm a little surprised Concerned Ape hasn't sent a cease-and-desist to Gleaner Heights. That looks slightly more involved than the Untitled Goose Game wannabes that were plaguing the Apple Store, but not by much.

Wow I've always wondered what SV would be like with shittier art and even worse writing

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

GoldStandardConure posted:

there are no wrong answers, but the correct answer is potatoes

mainly because i just like potatoes ok

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

I did not realise you could upgrade the mine, is that the little cave thing to the left of my farm house? I chose the River farm to start because I like water. :3:

Nah, that’s the cave. The mine is in the top right of the map, you don’t really upgrade it but as you progress deeper you get upgraded materials.

quote:

Is there a way to move structures I've placed? I plopped down a forge but would rather move it

Just hit it with your pickaxe and it should pop into your inventory. Buildings you need to go back to Jodi and ask her to build another one (then the option appears)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Got to my first winter, got to the bottom of the mine. I have stockpiled some crops but am not sure whether to just cash them in or hang on to them: it feels like whenever I cash them in I get a quest asking for one of them immediately afterwards.

Hang on to a handful of each crop and sell the rest. Usually if you need something it’s not going to be more than 5-10. I’d also suggest thinking ahead and building a bunch of chests to hold each type of good (fruits, vegetables, equipment etc).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Amazing. He’s even adding a “screenshot entire farm” button :love:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Dr.Smasher posted:

Taking his daughter as your wife.

Uhh about that

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

It doesn't. I just ended up collapsing at 2am at the foot of the bed and my wife watched me in shame.

Turn your monitor on

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Mazz posted:

1.4 is good

Got figure how to 1-up my last farm:

How could you block off grandpa's shrine like that you monster

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wasn't that patched out in like 1.2?

It definitely still worked in 1.3, on PC at least.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I've heard of a beech forest but this is ridiculous

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Leal posted:

Now how can I make friends :arghfist: :saddowns: :arghfist:

Sashimi

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Imagine giving anything aside from the cold shoulder to Haley, yeesh

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Fall in Year 3, though I haven't played much since the 1.4 update came out. 1.5 barns of pigs, a few cows and goats, 2 coops of chickens, and a full greenhouse of ancient fruit.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Covering up grandpa’s shrine should be a game-over offence imo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Dr.Smasher posted:

Because it's summer and The Sun Can Bend an Orange Sky is better, IMO.

Agreed, that’s my favourite on the entire soundtrack though all of it is great.

I seem to remember reading once that CA was a musician originally, or studied music or something? So working on the soundtrack was his way of relaxing. I also seem to recall that he wrote and recorded way more music than actually made it into the game - like 2-3x more.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

:sickos:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

codo27 posted:

Do the fiscally responsible thing and buy a Surface Pro exclusively for Stardew Valley

:shrug:
It’s better than the Switch version

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

E-flat posted:

(^this one has a heavier path towards the bottom right and the paths 'connecting' to the stairs at the top and to the westmost garden)

(^this one doesn't and hence is smaller)

why are you ignoring grandpa's shrine you monster

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

There is the goon updated: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Stardew_valley

Not sure how up to date it is though?

This all seems like pretty reasonable advice for a new player.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

LLSix posted:

What about ancient fruit? I figure if anyone knows it is probably you.

Ancient fruit goes in the greenhouse and nowhere else imo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Try and focus on getting your relationship up with Linus early on as well. It's not too tricky, and at three hearts he'll send you a recipe which makes gifting for other people much easier.

But as others have said, just chill out and enjoy it and do whatever you want. There's not really a right or wrong way to play Stardew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The best music is Dance of the Moonlight Jellies. I don't know why it's so perfect for encapsulating the end of summer, but it is