Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Those are some pretty awesome looking atmospheric pictures. The bus in the rainy woods and the lakeside fishing picture especially. Snow's 'reflective' light too. :allears:

When's the game due, and if you say sometime 2013 things will be right cross with you mister/miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

A release date. Chop-chop.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Jesto posted:

Anyhow, Stardew Valley being greenlit is amazing either way. :) If it makes a big enough splash, Natsume might just take notice and start porting Harvest Moon games to PC.

They can stay on consoles for all I care; let folk like these have the under supplied PC share. :colbert:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Wanna plant them turnips in four days. God drat I've been waiting a long time for this one.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Jesto posted:

The release date is in 2 days, and my PayPal account is kind of low at the moment so I won't be able to get the game at launch. One of you would be able to do thread upkeep better than me with info / pics / video. :)

Check your private messages, paisan.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Manyorcas posted:

Game unlocks in less than an hour.

Let's plant some loving anime turnips.

This guy or gal has the right idea. Plant turnips, get paid.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

what if stardew valley is okay

This game will be perfect in everyway and if you insult it's honor I will fight you with my Hanzo - Damascus alloyed steel scythe.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I think I found my waifu.

Although I may not have a choice in the matter. :lsd:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

Pam is in the trailer on the town-side of the river, I believe.

Pam frequents the saloon most days.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Anyone know where the gently caress can I find leeks? I know it's from foraging but I can only find onions.

I've seen leeks at the bus stop screen, and the area around the carpenter / mine entrance.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

Nthing' the issue with bait on the Rod. There's no real explanation on how to do this.

The bamboo rod cannot use bait if you're using that one, you have to get the upgrade (supposedly judging by the wiki) to use bait.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Pigbottom posted:

how do you get a fiberglass rod?

It's either timed in days, based on fishing skill or both. I got mail letting me know he had a new fishing rod for sale.

Edit: KHORNEEEEE :argh:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Eopia posted:

So how does one unlock the mines? It's blocked off by a huge pile of rocks for me and I want to get more stuff.

It unlocked after a few days for me, there will be a letter in the mail letting you know.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

You level up skills by, what, using the associated tools?

There's farming, mining, foraging, fishing and combat. They're all exercised by doing actions, e.g. Fishing raises fishing, smashing rocks for mining, planting crops for farming, chopping lumber for foraging, smashing jerks with your sword for combat, and so on.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Monowhatever posted:

the fiberglass fishing rod(its the 2nd one) is wonderful first day with it and I already paid it back in full

Where did you fish up Tilapia, Red Mullet, and Tuna?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Wallet posted:

For anyone who's having fish problems, they're season, weather, and time of day dependent (beyond just night/day). I posted the data from the game's files on the wiki's talk page here.

A sincere thank you for posting this. This game has one of the least tedious fishing mechanics I've ever seen in a game.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Same with pike.

Pike outta the Wizard/Rancher screen pond in summer is $$$. Five foot long monsters, all day, all crammed to the gills in a tiny pond.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

By the time you fish enough to get the Iridium rod you're so good at the minigame it feels like cheating.

I used this to make a cheat sheet for the Fish Tank bundles. I think there's still some inaccuracy between all the info we have. I caught a Walleye at 11pm, but the dump said 12. Also, I have not personally done any crab pot stuff yet, so that might be totally wrong. I'll update it and repost if anyone finds anything wrong.

I definitely caught Catfish in summer in the secret forest pond.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Twitch posted:

Is there any way to move a chest I have placed in my house? I hadn't really figured out the placement controls when I put it down, and now it's kinda stuck there in the middle of the room.

Have you tried to empty it (I'm assuming) and smash it with your pick? Do reply, I haven't tried it myself and I'd like to know the answer.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

A word of caution: stones will occasionally "fall off" stone walls onto adjacent tiles. This can include crops.

A good thing to know before you put your ancient seeds there :sigh:

I was wondering where that rock came from. thank you. Now I gotta remake the god drat fence.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

inthesto posted:

I'm not the only one who plays through the first month to figure out where everything is and how to min/max my economy, and then restarts with that knowledge, right?

I kinda did the same. Also bring your hoe with you 24/7 unless you are expressly just fishing, mining, loving around on the farm or upgrading the hoe. Those little three wriggling worm tiles have some good stuff in them.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

inthesto posted:

What do these tiles look like?

The worms themselves always spawn in dirt/sand, come in a trio, black/dark brown, and animate themselves in an alternating slack/stiff.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 29, 2016

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

I just hit summer and all my crops turned brown. Is there no salvaging anything or am I going to have to salt the earth

also what season can I plant trees (maple seeds)?

Wilted plants need to be removed, no salvaging available. Maple trees (and pine and whatever the other one is) can be planted whenever, just have a care where you swing your tools around, you can cut down the nascent sapling in one stroke.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Zoe posted:

How much of a threat are crows btw? Planting extensive fields for the first time, and the amount of scarecrows I've been putting up is a little silly.

Crows, much like in reallife, are assholes and will eat the poo poo out of your crops, plant, and trellis. Scarecrows save you money in the long run.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Will the museum accept duplicate donations? I'm worried I'm throwing away money by not selling things because I didn't realize I had already donated one of them before

A certain NPC, available when you get a steel pick, can accept some specific category of museum artifacts as good gifts. Otherwise I've just been selling the non-gemstones.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

inthesto posted:

I'm sorry for all these really dumb questions but... How do I apply bait to my fishing rod?

You need to have a fiberglass or iridium rod to attach bait by left clicking the bait, then right clicking the rod as mentioned above me.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Aquarium bundle completed courtesy of the smuggler. Jellopops danced and farted around that boulder in front of the boulders next to the mine. When next you enter that map, Fisherman gives you a copper pan, and demonstrates where you can pan for ore.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Alaan posted:

Can you drag chickens outside at all and if so how does one manage that?

Not sure if this is what you're asking; if you click on the little shutter to the right of the door, you can let the chickens out and they'll go back in when it's nighttime. I would recommend building a pen before doing so to keep them corralled.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

tolaziforname posted:

Where/when can I catch a red snapper? The wikis say ocean / day / summer/fall/winter, but I have tried all three ocean docks, the shallows, and all three rods at all three times of day and I just can't seem to find them.

In my experience, if you can catch red mullets then you can catch red snappers. For what it's worth, I caught all of mine to date off the docks in front of Willy's shop. My reference chart says 6AM - 7PM for catching. Also they're a rather uncommon catch; RNG may just be making GBS threads on you.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

edit: more importantly why are you carrying around so many bars

You can't tell him/her how to live his/her life, GEEZ LOUISE.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Neveth posted:

Anybody know how long the preserves pot takes to make something? (mostly what I'm asking is how many of these do I need to be profitable?)

It takes a few days, I haven't kept track, however I want to say it's at least 3 days. If you're trying to get in good with Harvey, one pot will give him enough pickled jars for one week of gifting, barely.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

StrangeAeon posted:

Ugh. Okay, is there a list somewhere of what needs to be obtained or held onto from Spring?

Like what, gifts? Bundle parts?

Have a gander at this link for gifts:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UE6NHxsvv5BRLVJDyk4jUzBeiVgvepInF_TEcyY5IDA/pubhtml

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Freakbox posted:

Okay, so a dozen or so pages ago people were discussing relationship attrition- have we discovered if that's really a thing yet? I love the game but it's s major pain if I have to talk to the jackass townies every single day. :gonk:

The town being big, sprawling, and realistic is both a blessing and a curse. So many places to run....:pusheen:

If there is attrition, then it's very slow to the point where it's not noticeable. You'll be fine; don't give bad/awful gifts and don't pull a Linus near people.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

LemonAIDS posted:

No cat. What are you doing. Move, it's late and i need to sleep :( he won't move haha

Much like in real life, you'll just need to move the bed around the cat while taking care not to disturb cat for fear of reprisal.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Where the fack is Harvey?

I've seen Harvey hang out at the saloon sometimes at night. He also stares at the river, south of the graveyard. He also could be in George, Evelyn and Alex's house doing a house call on George.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

inthesto posted:

Or do baby chickens not need to be fed?

Each chick will eat a square of hay I think every two days.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Met posted:

Can anyone confirm the Angler Fish is in the River next to the Joja Store in Autumn? It seems like a weird place to find and Angler fish.

Yep, that's where I caught it.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is it ok to be selling minerals after I've donated them to the museum? I have leftover stuff from geodes like granite, nekoite etc, but I haven't unlocked all of the community center rooms so I have no idea if I'll need it in future.

You can gift them to the Wizard, the minerals, and he should accept them as a good, not great, gift. Since his great gifts are relatively easy to get by getting to the lower reaches of the mines, I'd just sell the minerals.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

I'm gonna quote this for later just in case I forget and it's not up on the wiki yet. What's the 'try-hard' optimal path for each? I took Rancher on the advice of this thread and I took Forager over Forester which seemed like a no-brainer at level 5.

The +50% chance from Pirate feels multiplicative rather than additive. While it *is* a noticeable increase, especially on lucky days and the chest tackle, it's chests so you're liable to get one bait, or two emeralds and a diamond. I'd just go with angler if you went the non-crab pot talent for a solid income increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

I am the only one who is slowly being driven insane by that loving dog's barking? :argh: Lesson learned here cats for life.

The cat exchanges incessant barking for incessant sleeping with occasional periods of movement to look adorable, meow, and collapse in exhaustion because of how much sleep they had.

Much like a real cat.

I'm more worried that the chickens are lulling me into a false sense of security. I don't trust those beady little eyes.