Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jesto posted:

I'm sorry. :( It's just a game I'm really interested in that's on Greenlight and wanted to create exposure for on the forums like Starbound, but the Harvest Moon thread didn't seem terribly interested in it and I didn't want to bog them down with videos and screenshots of a non-Harvest Moon game.

Are you signed up for the Stardew newsletter? That should get you a release date precisely when they come out with one. And I'll have a mod edit the thread title here when it actually comes out. :)

You keep doing updates here, I love it. I keep losing this game in the shuffle but when I see this thread I get excited all over again :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Man the new graphics look awesome. Here's hoping they can get to E3, though I'll still be playing if he can't.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jesto posted:

Because you can't please people no matter what you do and no matter what your intentions are.

You put no minorities in your game, people will call you racist.

You put one, you've got the token minority.

You put 3-4~ (10-15% of the town population) and make one of them a prominent dateable character, it's still not enough for some people.

You make your game 25% white, 25% black, 25% hispanic and 25% asian, you're going to unintentionally assign the wrong races to the wrong characters. Hey, this white videogame developer made the homeless guy or the potential alcoholic a black guy and the doctor an overworked asian dude, how racist / stereotypical is that? And by the way, I know you can gay marry any character, but why doesn't your town have any transgendered people in it or as ? Are you transphobic or something? :geno:

If you're a white dude on your first indie project writing anything for minorities you risk pissing someone, somewhere off to the point where it's most likely not worth the headache to write a few minority characters who are absolutely without flaw and won't step on anyone's toes.

But mostly because it derails the thread into pointless social issues bullshit that's a lot less interesting to read about than the game. And I'm sure there's a few threads on the forums devoted entirely to gender / race issues in media in general.

I really want to emptyquote this while I play a fun game about farming.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jesto posted:

People wanted an answer and I gave it in detail. There will be social issues drama literally no matter what the dev does. Something will be either not represented to a degree that some people would like, or unintentionally misrepresented.

I honestly wonder how the Harvest Moon threads don't have to put up with that given the sea of white faces and 100% heterosexual marriage and pregnancy between what look like 8 year olds in every game.

In fact, feel free to spread the love: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3336559

Oh no, I was agreeing with you. I'm happy with how the game looks, but I'm not involved with the social justice movement at all.