Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

1400 hours in the game, and I never found out about candles.

Oh my days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

You mean to tell me that simply emptying crab pots raises fishing skill? :stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Zesty posted:

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1179119938499305472

Chucklefish can continue to gently caress right the hell off.

Someone explain this to me, please.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Saxophone posted:

This got lost in Portia chat and I would like to know as well.

All I saw about it was really good and intriguing, and the installation wasn't a hassle at all, but there was a game-breaking bug for me that kept dumping me in the large river that is south of your farm upon returning TO your farm. The patch notes said that this issue was fixed in the very patch I was playing, so that was pretty much the end of me trying it out.

I'll absolutely try another run at it after my current 1.4 run

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

What really amazes me is how 1.4 has turned me away from making some straight-up money choices in favor of the chill choice, like taking trapper over fisher, or not going with pure money crops, and instead making neat little culture patches, or not going 100% mine-diving on a rainy day with decent luck, but instead swinging for a couple of ore-goals and then finishing up some other day-goals above ground.

The only thing I'm still occasionally looking up is gifts, because I can never remember the "majority-likes" or "majority-neutrals" with the exception of stuff like Linus liking horse-radish (because I always bee-lined for sashimi with him), Haley liking Daffodils (for some reason), Emily liking amethysts, and everyone liking sashimi, of course.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Poque posted:

drat, that Hardwood perk is actually pretty decent, especially with the ability to respec now.

The whaaaaa :aaa:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

What's with the new occasional purple and brown levels in the regular mines below level 100?

They seem to be like the normal infested levels, but with new monsters. Anything else to them?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I have 280 hours in this dumb game of ours and just now found out you can sell unused weapons, armor, rings at the adventurer's guild :cripes:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Uhhhhhh...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

302 hours played in this game, and I just got my first giant crop despite trying several times for one, even letting fully matured crops in perfect iridium-sprinkled squares sit for several days.

Now, day twelve of Spring, year two, and bam.

I also skimped out on finishing my little jazz-honey-factory by not finishing the corners with more bee hives and removing the sprinkler, so of course I accidentally harvested the grown jazz in the middle :negative:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

What's the best way to "farm" seaweed? I made the mistake of eating most of what I fished early on to replenish my energy bar when fishing, and didn't realize I would need it for fish ponds later.

I'm thinking of taking the bamboo pole out and fishing without tackle. Does the distance of my cast just affect the quality of the fish caught, or also the probability of catching non-trash items?

/edit:
Also, I'm on Spring 16, year two, and still cannot talk to the Dwarf on account of not having found the fourth Dwarf scroll. I've now spent four full days spelunking in the lower levels of the mines, still no joy.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 21, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Okay, something's wrong.

When I went 10 days without rain in Spring year 2, I thought that was a bit of an aberration. But I made it to Spring 20 with not just no rain, but "clear and sunny" forecasts every single drat day. I'd never thought I'd be so happy to finally see rain.

Time to put a ring on it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

51 hours played on 1.4

16 more hours, and Stardew Valley will officially overtake Skyrim as my most played game on Steam. 1.4 is fun. And seeing as I just learned there's some more endgame-type content after finishing the community center in the summer, I think I might easily tag on 30-40 more hours.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Man, the RATM Finsbury concert does not go well with SDV, but damnit, I'm going to make it work

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

And I just discovered you can place sprinklers indoors, but they won't water your indoor-pots automatically. RIP my zero-effort cactus cultivation. :(

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there a good mod for telling me if I have anything that's needed for Community Center? Sure, the button's there but my memory is poo poo even after a few seconds sometimes.

iirc, at least since patch 1.4, your little community center button in the inventory will flash when you hover over an item that you can still deposit in a bundle.

I hope this has only been the case since 1.4, because holy poo poo if I spent 230 hours in this game not knowing that before.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

What do the buffs to farming and mining really do, anyway? I've only occasionally used fishing buffs to grab legendary fish, and food with luck buffs for the skull cavern, but does farming affect the quality of what you're harvesting, and does mining...reduce your required hits for nodes, or something?
I don't think I've ever looked that up on the wiki, and I'm trying to stay off the wiki as much as possible for 1.4.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Uh...do you guys not feel like you're overshooting the spirit of the game just a wee bit with your guides there?

I have 300+ hours in this game (which isn't even a lot by community standards, I gather), and the most fun I have in this game is through not minmaxing anything, and just having fun.

There are some select gems of knowledge I wish I had had after my first playthrough to not have to wait to, like year 3 to achieve a goal like the community center, so maybe just focus on those little beginner "mistakes" instead of handing out the max-profit-advice right off the bat?

I'm assuming we're getting a healthy influx of new players with 1.4, so why not share the advice that helps them have the same first-time experience most of us had when we started out in this game?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Nope. Dude said he wanted to be a billionaire. This is why I asked about goals before I said anything, because I knew someone would have this exact objection.

Yeah, I missed that part entirely, my bad on that. It's all good, Christmas spirit went wild on my altruistic side or something ;)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I kinda never considered getting some readily-available forage-item like blackberries or produce/fruit into larger quantities of food items to sustain me and usually stick to mass-quantities of salmonberries for the first half of year one, and then switch to sashimi once I get the recipe.
There wasn't ever any specific "reasoning" behind it, I simply never convert anything I don't grow or find myself, so running to Pierre's for additional ingredients never occurred to me. I guess the fact that producing sugar required me to sacrifice a significant amount of space in my greenhouse for beets, but now I'm thinking I can just cram in a seasonal mass-load of ingredient-planting to warehouse stuff for multiple recipes over the rest of the year.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Boy howdy, Journey of the Prairie King is kicking my rear end. Good heap of nostalgia of when I was 12 years old and raged on console games.
I'm gonna have to look up some strategies on how to beat this dumb little game.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Our take on this game certainly has shifted somewhat over the last couple of years :stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Coolguye posted:

if you're referring to that haley take not really nobody ever liked haley

Oh no, I didn't actually mean your comment specifically, my bad.

I'm just getting the feeling that the general consensus seems to be that one needs to work towards a goal in this game, and that there are various ways to min-max the way the game is played.
And that was never really an issue for me in this game, it was basically always "Day at the Spa - The Game"

I've been lurking in this thread since my first playthrough in early 2018, but my impression is that there's been a shift from "lol just do whatever, enjoy" to "here's what you need to do" over the last year. I'm assuming the release of 1.4 added to that a bit, to be fair.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

It's all good, y'all.

I'm about 90 hours into my third playthrough and trying to see how far I can take this before work kicks off again next Wednesday.

I've only made it to the 80s of the skull cavern on the fourth try so far, but on the one hand, it's given me a ton of iridium ore, and on the other hand, I just realized there's some more endgame content that I wasn't aware before.

And now I'm really excited.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The scorpion carp is a massive rear end in a top hat.

That is all.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

366 hours played, and I just had the game freeze up and crash on me for the first time ever.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Quick PSA: If you intend to change the type of fish in your pond, fish it empty FIRST, and THEN click the empty pond button.

You can figure out how I found this out.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's a 2 hearts with Caroline and go into her newly added back room thing

I'm glad to hear that the room was just added in 1.4, because I initially punched myself in the nads thinking I had missed it in the first 240 hours of playing the game. I'm assuming access to Marnie's backroom barn is also new in 1.4? (please tell me it is, because I don't want to go back to nad-punching)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Guess who learned about the quarry mine for the first time on Summer 23, Year 3

:cripes:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I have three runs so far, first one vanilla, second one that I modded a bit much and then burned out on end of year 2.

Third one was 1.4 only with lookup anything, seasonal outfits, harvest-with-scythe and a mod increasing walking speed by 10%

Longest run so far, put the game down halfway through year four, completed every achievement with the exception of the arcade games and Joja Mart.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

webmeister posted:

Ancient fruit goes in the greenhouse and nowhere else imo

That is definitely not the case, I'm pretty sure it grows outside for two seasons (or was it 3?) Starting spring or summer.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Came to post that I'm going to turn myself in to the authorities tomorrow, because I realized I hosed up clicking the remixed bundles / mines and guaranteed year one community center completion, and will absolutely look for a mod to gift myself a red cabbage tomorrow. Apparently, I started a token-game with those options enabled after updating to 1.5 to see if the mods worked, but then started ANOTHER fresh game for my no-poo poo playthrough, and forgot to enable the options. :(

Ancillary question, since I just had a bit of confusion regarding the new special order quests and looked one up on the wiki, and glanced at some of the other special orders. Am I seeing this correctly, there's a quest for the Wizard that gives you a RECIPE for an obelisk that you can link to any other obelisk for teleportation purposes?
That seems SUPER broken, no? Or are you limited to just two placed obelisks?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I carefully googled some first steps for ginger island, trying to not spoil myself, and all three guides/"walkthroughs" that I found pretty much give away characters, buildings, opportunities and whatnot.

What's a brief, mostly-spoiler-free strategy to really find out about all the new stuff by yourself? I've given the kid's parrot in the eastern hut a golden walnut, and dug up three more walnuts that, do I just continue looking for/digging up walnuts for each of the locked locations (i.e. the turtle in the west atm), and then continue on like that, or is there some obvious additional thing that I'm missing?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coralisland/coral-island-reimagining-the-farm-sim-game?ref=discovery

new Indie Farm Game Kickstarter that folks here may or may not be interested in? I guess we'll see how it shakes it between now and Q4 2022 or later.

Holy :lol:

I mean, they can say "re-imagined" and "based on classics" all they want, but that is just straight-up SDV

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Rick_Hunter posted:

You do know there were farm sims before Stardew, right?

I do.

Have you watched their trailer?

/edit: To clarify, I'm not saying "HOW DARE THEY?", I'm just saying I watched the trailer and my immediate impression was "well, this certainly goes above & beyond 'hommage' in a non-subtle way".

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 1, 2021

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Got the Island Ingredients special order from whatshername, and sure enough, it's for 100 pineapples, and not for the other two ingredients I already have more than 100 in stock of.
I only have 3 pineapple bushes ready in my greenhouse, and maybe 5 pineapples lying around in chests to convert to seeds, but with 14 days growth, 7 days for recurring yield, and only 27 days to complete the order...uh, I guess I'm gonna have to pass.

:negative:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Tylana posted:

Great news! Just like other kinds of orders you also have to HARVEST 100 of the thing. Though I guess if you had 100 in a chest you could make 100 seeds pretty reliably.

When I did it it was Ginger. @_@ And don't ask me about the leek gathering one.

EDIT : Actually great news, the quests roll around again, so nothing is permanently lost, and maybe the next time it'll be taro root or whatever.

I unfortunately only have 100+ of taro tuber and ginger, but only 5 pineapples. Turned those into 12 seeds, but even with deluxe speed-gro, I wouldn't be able to make that goal.
But hey, if it comes around again, I'll just grab it next time when I have like 18 bushes already done and can turn the accumulated pinapples into enough seeds to meet the required harvest goal.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh my dear lord, this cannot possibly ship internationally soon enough.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I just installed UI Info Suite (I think on a recommendation further up the thread), and it's really nifty, definitely something I'll consider for the next drat marathon run in this dumb game of ours.

One thing though, the sprinkler overlay is off by a couple of squares and kinda "floats" around, not sticking to the grid even if the position of the irrigated squares were off.
I assumed it may have had something to do with running SDV on a 4K display (like almost every other problem in other games), but googling around doesn't yield any results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Is the owl statue supposed to be rare? I somehow got two by Fall year 1...and it does nothing as far as I can tell?