Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

If multiplayer is vaguely playable I'll be buying at least 3 copies. I've been wanting a farming game with MP for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

[quote="" post="452428957"]
2. Closed Beta (December)

3. Finish Multiplayer (December - ???)
[/quote]

Ahahahaha :roflolmao: That's cute. That's only going to work if those question marks are actually a date; like 2016. Even if getting anything to synchronize properly across the internet wasn't a pain in the rear end he's going to have his hands full resolving beta feedback.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Release Date: Coming soon :smith:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

My main reason to get this is for multiplayer; so that's a pretty unfortunate decision. I'm still going to be eagerly awaiting its release but won't be picking it up until it gets MP.

Given that, does anyone know of any other harvest moon like games with MP?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

it's an unfortunate decision to launch the game once the single player is finished? does it somehow hurt you that people who are interested in the single player version are going to play it before you or something?

No. If that's how I came across than I must seem like a jerk and I'm sorry.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Jesto posted:

I want the Harvest Moon experience without all the anime.

Anyone willing to go in for a 40-pack with me on founding an Amish community irl? I'm okay with Ohio but Pennsylvania is also an option.

I'll take a piece of that action.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Can you have kids after getting married?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Has anyone managed to get an Amethyst on the first Friday to give to Abigail? I've been trying all evening without success.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

How well does keeping your barns close to your house work? Since long term that's what you're going to be visiting every day and not your crop circles. Does something like this seem reasonable? Is there any reason not to stuff your silos in a distant corner of the farm and ignore them?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Abigail just won my heart. :swoon:

LibbyM posted:

I know this isn't a harvest moon megathread but: I never actually played any of the rune factory games. Is the first one still worth playing, or is it one of those things where you should just skip to the second or third game?
I definitely think the first harvest moon is still worth playing so, it could be like that.

Skip to 3. The first one isn't bad, but 3 and 4 just have so many quality of life improvements.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

For the people who like eating salmonberries; if you don't cut down all the trees on your farm you can get lots of tree seeds to make trail snacks.

Every day there's a random chance that a tree will drop a seed nearby. It only takes 2 energy to go around and whack the seeds with your hoe to pick the seed up. In exchange for 6 energy to collect the three seeds you need you can make a trail snack that gives back 45 energy. I've been going around every morning clearing out all the underbrush so there's more space for seeds to drop in and I'm making 3-4 trail snacks a day. I've got a big stack of 20 of them put together before salmonberries start showing up and energy is no longer an issue for me.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone know what to delete to see Haley's second heart event? I think I just got her 4 heart event when entering her house in the morning instead of the 2 heart event. Helped her open a jar

Supremezero posted:

So if you get a skill level that gives you an increase to the sell value of a thing, and on the same day that you get the level up, you ship the thing, does the thing get the increase? Or do you have to wait til the next day?

I haven't tested but I'd expect the value to increase. You pick the skill before shipping value is shown.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 12, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Man, those first few weeks are pretty rough but now that I know my way around town things are smoothing out. Now that I've got a coop and plenty of crops in the ground I feel like I've got spare time to fool around and try to learn how to fish. Game is feeling much more chill these last few days before summer.

I think this game would be a million times more relaxing if you could save during the day. Only saving when you sleep makes things a lot more risky and thus stressful.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Once you've got the first house upgrade you can start cooking stuff, and cooked foods give back a crapton of energy and other benefits.

Once you've got the 10k for the house saved up you'll have found other ways to get energy back. Especially since trees cost thousands so you can either have fruit the first year or a kitchen.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I'll uhhh, I'll just show myself out then :yikes:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I just spent more than 10,000 gold on 61 corn seeds. Please send help.

Also Caroline doesn't like mayonaisse. The witch!

LLSix fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 13, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Tollymain posted:

when (okay if) this game gets an extensive writing overhaul mod it has the potential to go from good to great. the writing as it stands now is weirdly ambitious (some dark stuff in there) but also hamhanded as gently caress

I've been enjoying the writing. The villagers all have reasons to be standing where they are and that reason usually makes a good bit of sense. Penny spending her days "reading" outside, even in the rain, is especially touching. Likewise, several of the marriage candidates have personalities I would likely enjoy in real life. Usually in games like this its a struggle to find even one bachelorette/bachelor who isn't awful. In Stardew Valley, even the annoying personalities are well founded - I'm looking at you Alex and Haley.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

RatHat posted:

Are regular sprinklers worth it? They seem pretty awful.

I use them to fill in areas of scarecrow coverage that quality sprinklers can't cover efficiently.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Let food have quality stars based on the quality of ingredients, make quality food sell for significantly more than regular food.

Also, add more smithing recipes - weapons, rings, fancy furniture, whatever. Let the player forge absurdly opulent jewel-encrusted thrones and stuff to sell for a considerable amount (or just turn the farmhouse into a gilded palace).

e: might as well let players use fabric, bars, gems, and other goods to make a variety of hats, too. Make villagers wear gifted hats if they like them. Let the player fill the entire town with opulent hats. Krobus in a pretty flower bonnet. Linus in a golden crown. The wizard in a fancy cowboy hat perched on top of his existing wizard cowboy hat.

Rune factory 4 let's you do this. It's also an excellent game in general.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I hated the fishing mechanic at first but now I really like it. I think part of the reason some people don't make it over the first hump is that the ocean is a relatively difficult fishing area but its also the first one most people will try because its where you get your fishing pole.

Fishing is one of my favorite parts of the game and one of the most relaxing aspects. There's a real sense of accomplishment and progress. I enjoyed finding for myself which areas were good to fish at for my skill level without the game telling me I must have x skill level to fish at different areas. The fishing skill increases feel like they make a huge difference in how easy it is to catch fish and they're the skill I most look forward to seeing has increased when I sleep. This also makes the trout soup useful enough to justify spending gold on. As I get better I'm able to move from location to location to catch higher value fish that match my increasing skill level both IC and as a player which provides the fantastic sense of accomplishment. I'm actually looking forward to getting good enough to be able to consistently catch fish in the ocean.

I usually dislike fishing mini-games so I'm really surprised by how much I enjoy this one. As far as I'm concerned CA hit the nail on the head here. The only thing that could be improved is a slightly better tutorial. Even just Wiley suggesting the easiest place to fish to you when you get your rod would do a lot.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

How do I use sprinklers? Am I suppose to just lay them down and have them work? Mine don't water anything.

The ground will be watered the next day. You have to leave them out overnight.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Orgophlax posted:

If I'm going to get 1 of these games for 3DS, which should I go for?

Rune Factory 4 is the best one. Rune Factory 3 is still good, but will be hard to play after 4 since 4 added some quality of life features. Story of Seasons is an okay compromise if you don't like anime/combat.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

So I just learned that if you wait until 4pm to go to the Luau it is already over; even though you don't get back to your farm until 10 pm :(

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Is this guy still doing all the development lone wolf style, or has he finally put a team together now that he is at least a hundred thousand-aire.
Because if he can do this on his own I'd like to see the game he makes with a proper team.

Working with a team is much harder than solo. It is very hard to get even a small number of people to care moderately about their work. Some days I spend half my time explaining for the hundredth time how to write UI code so the edges actually line up instead of being 3 pixels off. Forget getting them to do something actually complex like event flags that don't cause a million bugs. My poor coworker across the hall spent two hours this afternoon explaining to someone why he wasn't allowed to check in code that wouldn't even build.

Managing a team is also a completely different skill set then writing code.

If he does take on a team I'll certainly watch his next game with high hopes though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Poil posted:

I think I've decided to go for Abigail over Penny. While Penny is a pleasant person, likes reading and acts more like an adult Abigail is more fun and attractive, plays the flute :3:, loves rain, hangs around graveyards, doesn't suffer from depression and brings much nicer in-laws (who won't turn their daughter's old room into a brewery or distillery). :smith:

I think you're giving Pam too much credit. Penny is amazingly well adjusted for her current home life. I wonder if Pam used to be less useless.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

The first flowers of spring. :unsmith:

It's beautiful.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If that was my house I'd just install a dang door to the outside.

Their business is struggling already and have you seen the prices Robin charges?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

You can give bouquets to all the villagers, right?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mazz posted:

Last day of fall and I timed most of my crops right so I figured I'd dump yet another farm screen on you guys. Abi of course is inside playing with that loving hamster.

That's a nice looking farm. Very orderly orchard.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

You also don't have to fill your greenhouse with ancient fruit and cranberries you know.

Using the greenhouse primarily for ancient fruit seems like a waste to me. They last through 3 of the 4 seasons outside too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Or Morris. Seems like a Morris thing to do. Run the bum out of town for not buying from JojaMart.

Edit: speaking of Morris; does he go to any of the town festivals? Even the wizard comes to at least one.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Genius.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

toanoradian posted:

Do I have to grow the maple, oak and pine trees myself to tap them or can I use the wild trees on my farm?

You can use the wild ones on your farm.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Has anyone tried tapping the trees in town that you can't cut down?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Note that watering your crops does not increase your farming skill.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Artificer posted:

So I just picked up this game, if I wanted to be ultra loving tryhard and go for Stardew Hero or whatever the goal is in under 2 years, what do I need to know? Is it a tightly wound schedule sort of thing or can I chill and gently caress around and not have a set plan going into it and still be ok?

Chilling and loving around is the best. Plant a ton of parsnips your first spring to make sure you get 5 gold ones, and also plant an apple tree ASAP otherwise you'll end up waiting until year 2 to get some cool stuff.

I played super try-hard and got everything lined up by mid-fall my first year and now I don't have much left to do.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

GotLag posted:

Why do I enjoy Pierre's tears so much?

On the other hand, a 3d sequel wouldn't be running on 1996 hardware.

Oh man, a VR Stardew Valley would be so awesome.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Supremezero posted:

It's been checked, and the formula's actually been found. There's a lot of things in the formula you can influence (for whatever weird reason; they're variables like days played, time of day, and location of the seed maker), but none of them are skills (or luck). Past the formula it's just pseudo-random.

Those things are probably included to make the results more random. We've got access to better sources of random noise to seed random number generators now, but those are plenty good for this application and would all have been fast and easy for CA to access.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Does the game automatically patch? I'm not seeing an update option anywhere.

Steam updates all games by default. No fuss, no mess. Welcome to the future.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Germstore posted:

Anyone else find the desire for multiplayer a little strange? It seems pretty solidly a single player experience.

Me and my wife currently have separate pixel farms and are married to different pixel people. We would love to be able to work on the same pixel farm together.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Artificer posted:

Not quite done with Summer yet! Gonna keep gold diving and see what I can get!

Any tips for finding dwarf scrolls 1 and 4 though?

The dwarf scrolls in particular tend to show up around certain mine levels. I got all my scroll 1s in levels 10 & 11, the range is wider than that, but it's easy to how out all the dirt in those first few levels after 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

It's been awhile since I played this and I'm thinking of giving it a new go around. What are some good mods for a second playthrough?