Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just bought this game based on all the hype and a strange craving for this sort of game yesterday. I also freaked out when the game loaded up and said Chucklefish and immediately regretted my decision until I learned they were just the publisher and it's actually a complete, really fun game despite that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Does that game actually remember which silos have hay in them? Like, if I have one silo, and I fill it up, then mid winter I build a second silo, then tear the first one down, will I still have hay or no?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Curse you Pam! You chose the absolute worst day to be too hungover to drive the bus. All my summer plans undone.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The White Dragon posted:

What? That's really a thing that can happen?

Apparently she's scripted to not work the day after the flower dance. The last Thursday of Spring. The last chance I have to get deluxe speed-gro at half price before summer. All my budgeting and planning counted on that 80g/ea speed gro. I have a huge stack of pale ale Pam, but I hope you enjoy sobriety!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't say CS 7.

I'll look into those forums, thanks.

Wow, where did you even find that? It's what, 15, 16 years old?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Zephyrine posted:

The complete exclusion of meat as a product also produces some interesting results. Like what a pig would be doing on a farm if not for meat.

But it's probably better for the tone of the game to keep it that way.

Truffles, obviously, just like in real life.

And I will hear no more on the subject.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Not watering crops won't kill them, just delay growth. I think it's lightning that randomly kills the occasional crop.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I wouldn't mind like a challenge mode or something, where the crop prices are more randomized and can change, either through random events or by you flooding the marketing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

CJacobs posted:

I have little knowledge of the game so far but after reading this I am concerned about your interpretation of Lewis' blossoming relationship with Marnie

That's not half as upsetting as the "FOR GIRLS ONLY: I need a [random vegetable] you know what it's for..." quest.

God drat Haley, a loving artichoke?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

TurnipFritter posted:

It... could be worse.

:stonk::fh:

Haley will be pleased. Well Jesus Christ I hope so.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hated fishing at first because it was hard, but really just stick with it for a few minutes and it gets easier. Also any kind of +fishing food really helps early on. The legendary fish will still take your pole away and gently caress you with it, but they are legendary so, you know.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Zephyrine posted:

Mac users can't wear regular people clothes?

I thought that was just a myth.

Only black turtlenecks. Anything else requires an emulator.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tender Child Loins posted:

http://thenewinquiry.com/essays/future-games/ (tl;dr: stardew valley = donald trump)

I feel like this guy didn't actually play the game.

I was going to complain about how that website only has a smartphone mode, but it's actually not. The column of content is just really narrow while the rest of the site isn't because gently caress you, probably. I had to stop a few paragraphs in, I was beginning to strain my eyes from all the rolling.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Dienes posted:

I just got to 8 hearts with Elliott and have been invited to a book reading. However, when I get there at the time specified, the door is locked, I'm guessing for the Ice Festival. Am I going to miss the cut-scene, or will it play tomorrow?

I felt awful when I suddenly remembered that poor Abigail has been waiting for me to meet her in her room for like a week, and when I finally did show up it was Wednesday and I couldn't get in. I am the worst at booty call.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The fishing minigame is interesting because unlike most minigames there really is a learning curve. It's hard as balls at first, but if you stick with it a bit, it really does get a lot easier.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Collateral Damage posted:

Does anyone actually use the slingshot? I find it super awkward to use, and the damage even with expensive ammunition is really lackluster.

I tried once during a festival. Otherwise no.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Holy poo poo you people are embarrassing. How you can get into such a pedantic slap fight over the proper way to play Stardew Valley of all possible games. Stardew Valley. Take a step back and just look at yourselves.

And don't bother with that 'oh we can't discuss a video game in the video game thread then?' poo poo either. Act like human beings for once.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Can you just leave barns/coops open all the time? I thought the animals didn't like that, and I've always closed the doors. In the morning I'll go into the barn/coop for my daily petting and feeding and whatever, and let them out afterwards to frolic fence free.

Also what does the heater actually do? I've gone through two winters without one and everyone stays happy and productive.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
When animals produce a large item there's a chance they won't produce the next day.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
"Plant until you have to spend the entire day and all your energy watering" goes beyond trolling to just plain vindictive.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I guess my actual advice to someone just starting out is to do your best to stay away from wikis and guides for as long as you can, because it's much more rewarding to figure poo poo out on your own, despite the guides being really tempting. And you can't really gently caress anything up so don't worry about doing it wrong.

Except being friends with Clint. gently caress that guy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Clint is the Eeyore of Pelican Town, and closing at 4pm is really loving irritating.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Also, you can upgrade my watering can and still process geodes and sell me ore you oaf.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It took me several days of grumpy chickens to realize you have go to the little hay feeder thing in the coop and get some hay, and spread it out on the table looking dealie in the back, otherwise they don't eat.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The White Dragon posted:

lol if you think that was netflix, it was probably a vhs of true lies

lol if you even notice if the tv is on when you netflix and chill with Penny.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

karma_coma posted:

I work 45ish hours a week or so and I just found this game and I have totally ignored my GF and I have like 48 hrs in this game what the gently caress man

Just give her some sashimi and a jar of mayo and you're good until next week!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jsor posted:

My favorite requests are still Haley's. "GIRLS ONLY! I need an <x>. You know what it's for."

The best part about this is it's completely random. A loving eggplant Haley, Jesus Christ.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Two 5x5 iridium sprinkler squares right next to each other works for giant crops.

Also, the new thread title really deserves some love.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Add me to the list of people who picked up this game again to have one wholesome thing in the endless sea of OH GOD WAT NOW that is life. I haven't played it much since release, its certainly still nice and relaxing. I'm trying not to min-max too hard, and just enjoy myself.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Can someone clarify, since I don't have the materials to try it and the greyed out buttons aren't clear. If you want a big barn do you have the option of building a big barn from scratch or upgrading a normal barn into a big barn, or are you required to have a barn already and upgrade that into a big barn? It seems like the former but that doesn't make a lot of sense which makes me think its the latter.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Right, thanks.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wait pets have water dishes?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I can't decide who I want to marry in my game, but Sebastian is the worst. Leave your room you mayo and jam and wine hating picky gently caress! Even the dwarf likes me more than you do, and I can't even speak his language yet.

Edit: Posted from my bedroom, that I've barely left in like a week.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is there any sort of general good mods guide? This seems like the kind of game where the modding community is a bit of a minefield of terrible and I'm not eager to just dive in myself look up all the top mods.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
How exactly does the Quarry work? Is it better to let it build up before clearing it out? The wiki doesn't say anything about that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I really think that something like that would be reflected in the wiki by now.

Are you sure that letting rocks build up results in better quality stuff spawning, or are you just seeing 50 new rocks at once instead of 3 or 4 so you are more likely to have a few good ones in there?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Man, quality levels are a lot more trouble than they are worth, it seems like most of the time it just makes several of an item take up 3x the inventory space, or its preventing me from turning in stacks. And then they end up not mattering most of the time because its all processed into artisanal poo poo. I wish there was a way to drop quality levels of stuff in your inventory. Just bruise that silver tomato up a bit or something so it stacks with the rest.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

vuk83 posted:

PSA regards to fishing early game.
Buy the starter rod at willy's, it makes your bar 1,5 times wider.
The catch :smug:
You can't catch upgraded quality fish, but for spamming to level its great.

By upgraded quality fish do you mean that all the fish I catch with that think will all stack correctly instead of having normal/silver/gold/iridium stacks for every type of fish? Because that alone would make it worth it for catching trash fish.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

maltesh posted:

I think Emily actually wound up sending me Cloth in the mail before I was able to get a rabbit going.

Question: The Wiki implies that the stuff dropped by the Train will still be there if the player isn't present, but gets there before the turn of the day.

I've only started playing the game in the last couple weeks, but I've never found anything a train dropped if I didn't get there while the train was still passing through. Is the wiki describing the way Trains worked in an earlier version, or is it wrong, or am I?

I've checked the train 3 or 4 times in 1.4, usually while it was still running, and I have seen the train drop exactly zero items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm more bothered by the bathhouse than the train really. The train can just be a thing that exists for no real reason other than to exist, but the bathhouse is teasingly close to being a really helpful mechanic but isn't.