Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

it seems weird to me, with the type of people who would enjoy this kind of game. i dunno who would immediately say LET'S RAZE THE COMMUNITY CENTER gently caress YEAH

I loving hate everyone in this town, so yeah, that's how I'm doing it.

I pay Joja money, they kick out more townies, they buy my produce. It's going to be me and the homeless guy, all the way to the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Where the hell are the grapes? I see bushes with purple in them during Summer, but interacting with them does nothing.

e: Also how do you use fishing tackle? Just have it in your inventory?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

LordSloth posted:

I restarted after realizing I accidentally went cat instead of dog and I rushed fishing too hard, unlocked the better rod by day five. Just after the egg festival, and I need to decide for my level 5 profession: Fisher (Fish worth 25% more) and Trapper (resources required to craft crab pots reduced). I haven't even tried using a crab pot yet, which should I take? Also, do I get to take the second one at level 10?

Here's how I thought it out.

Crab Pots are fairly cheap to make anyway, just asking 40 wood/2 iron. And by the time you want more then 1-2 Crab Pots, you should have so much wood/iron anyway, it won't matter.

Some fish though are preeeeety good to sell, and later on, you'll have fishing days, where you basically just don't want to go into the mine/deal with your farm, so it's a quick/free income boost. Also it applies to the coral/sea things on the beach, which are EASY loving MONEY, so again, free income.

During the Summer, if you go to the beach biweekly with that perk, you can easily make 10kish a week just off grabbing the corals. It's great.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

GodFish posted:

You have to plant tree seeds in untilled earth, this was messing me up for a month as well.

I got the Joja scene with either no or one heart on Pierre, so I think that was just an event event.

There's a scene where the Joja guy hands out 50% coupons, and another where he threatens Pierre. The 50% coupon one is just flavor. The threatening one is a heart scene.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Tequila Sunrise posted:

It's funny how anal people are about starting over/getting everything right the first time. I'm just trying to imagine people playing HM64 with basically no internet guides at the time, and everyone just loving everything up and never knowing what we missed.

There is also literally no reason to restart.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Sooooo, sold all my melons/flowers during the Summer, or used them as gifts.

First day of Fall, look at the calendar to notice Penny's birthday is tomorrow, and all I have is an inventory full of fish and rocks. She doesn't really like either.

Any ideas on what to get her? Does she like/love any of the Fall flowers? Could I buy her a created meal from the Saloon? Need ideas!

Also according to the reddit romance works by getting a person up to 6/8 stars. At this point you can give them a bouquet, which turns it from a friendship to a romance. At 10 stars you can marry them. However they also mentioned you can give away multiple bouquets, and be romancing most of the town at the same time before you actually choose who you want to marry. Does anything change after you give someone a bouquet? Like does the tone of the conversations change or anything? Seems odd that you can be casually romancing the entire town and nobody would care.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Mushrooms are the only right answer.

Like fruit is great money sure, but you can eventually get trees for that poo poo.

Mushrooms? You have a very rare chance of finding them in the caves/forest, or a slightly better chance of finding them in the desert after you've spent $45k getting the bus going.

Considering the "endgame" for this game seems to revolve around having a massive farm/just having so much money you can buy you minerals off Clint, having to scrounge the entire forest/mines/desert in the hopes you can find mushrooms seems real dumb.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Are crop grow times inconsistent? I picked my strawberries for the second time, but only half of them were pickable.

I water obsessively, to the point of having no friends.

Yes. The time offered is an average. One of my melons finished growing in 7 days for example.

inthesto posted:

Wait gently caress where do I get clay

Hoe the ground. Apparently your entire field is clay, and you'll get tons of clay as you go.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'd be curious if you even can get a dance at the first Flower Festival.

You need 4 hearts to get a dance accept ( and apparently all are bugged so if they are married to you it doesn't count as having enough hearts, they'll have the no thank you line! ).

Of the potential romances, only Haley has a birthday in Spring. Her favorites however are ungettable in Spring, so you can't? get her to 4 stars by the festival. I wonder if you brought her a Daffodil on her birthday if it'd be enough to boost her to 4 hearts.

Of the remaining romances, only Harvey ( Coffee ), Abigail ( Amethyst ), and Leah ( Salad ) have favorites you can actually get/make in Spring alone.

Since the Mines open on Friday, and gifts reset on Sunday, you should be able to get Abigail 2 Amethyst each week until the Festival, but you'd have to go to the Mines that Friday, and then gift her that Friday/Saturday. Getting the 8 Amethysts/Coffee/Salads should be doable even with the starting budget without hurting the farm too much, though you'd be losing out on personal growth. You'd also probably need to gift on the 22nd/23rd before the Festival to get that last heart.

That seems uh, fairly restrictive in a really odd way! At 2 favorites per heart, with the way favorites are set up, you are basically locked into Harvey/Abigail/Leah if you want to have a first dance. And you basically need to either get really lucky with your gifts to know what their favorites are, or be wiki crawling. And you need to realize to not gift Abigail until Fri/Sat on the first week to get those double Amethysts, AND to realize you need to gift on the 22nd/23rd before the Festival as well.

And I'm not even sure if that's actually enough, since a goon earlier in the thread said he was giving Leah salads every week and only had her at 3 hearts by the Festival. Unless maybe he didn't do double salads every single week.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

So is it possible to get a single to gain 10 hearts without giving them the flowers?

I want to sample a bit of everyone before settling down.

Romance is set to 3 stages.

1-6 is friendship. You can also do 6-10 friendship if you want.

After 6, you can buy them some flowers. This sets the relationship as "romantic" and the context of some of the dialogues change. Noooobody seems to care though if you are romancing the entire town, at least not that I've seen so far.

At 10, you can choose to marry someone. This removes the single flag from everyone, sets that person to move into your farm, and causes you to become monogamous.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I have Artisan, it applies to everything. I've been mathematically calculating my farms sales from the start, and it added a 50% boost to all crafted sales, including animal based products.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Coolguye posted:

so basically even if ranching worked, tiller would still be better because artisan is basically a game over i win skill

Yes.

So far as far as I can tell, the only sane level ups are

Tiller > Artisan
Geologist > ???
Gatherer > Botanist ( Botanist doesn't just apply to things you pick up, it applies to anything the game views as a forage item. Which includes a few Artisan goods oddly enough according to my sale boosts after getting Artisan! ).
Fisher > Angler ( SOME FISH ARE ALSO CONSIDERED FORAGED/ARTISAN. THIS ALL STACKS. I SOLD A FISH FOR OVER 5000 G'S. gently caress THE WORLD ECONOMY )
Scout > Desperado ( who cares about 10% increased damage when you have a 50% increased chance to crit, and crits are instant kills. )

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Coolguye posted:

yeah from a math perspective the first choice in fighting is a non-issue

crits are double damage unless i'm mistaken, so 10% chance increased crit is 1.00 * .1 = .1 => 10% increased damage (over time). which is exactly the same as warrior. warrior is more reliable but mathematically the difference is pointless so the real question is what does it imply for level 10

And then you get Desperado, which means if you crit at all, it just instantly kills the target.

So mathematically everything goes out the window!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

"Someone was throwing rocks at my tent last night. I had to wait it out."

Also like, someone robs you if you fall unconscious? Who the gently caress robbed you. There are 28 people in this town, and I know all of them.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Penny's 10 star scene is uh. Probably the most provocative of all the romance 10 stars I've seen so far!

Like I wasn't expecting that from the person who spent so much time being shy/self conscious. She really wants out of that trailer.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 2, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

What does the half finished building foundation right near the farmcave end up becoming

It's the Greenhouse presumably.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I'm still worrying that Penny's static dialogue is a bug, because it sounds really weird if ConcernedApe just... didn't write dialogue for one of the NPCs. And a marriage candidate at that. Leah is offering me to huddle up under a quilt and Abigail wants to share a hot cup of cocoa but Penny just tells me "I've lived in Pelican Town my entire life" and "If you find a rare artifact take it to Gunther at the library" and we're at 8 hearts now. I wanted to marry Penny but I'm not sure I could live with a JRPG NPC.

Does anyone know if it's a known issue or is there a place to file a report?

It's not a bug, it's when you talk to her ( I assume ).

NPCs live in two different spaces. Work, and not work. When at work they have canned dialogue throughout to explain what they are doing, which is why a lot of people are getting similar issues with Harvey. Even if he's outside his clinic wandering down to the Saloon, the game still counts him at "work", so it'll have him say something about how he runs the only clinic, he's the doctor, etc etc.

For Penny, she's at "work" whenever she's with those two kids, and she only has two different states to account for you, unmarried or married. Once you marry her she gets new lines about her job, etc etc.

Does she still have those lines when she's chilling up by the community center/alone in the library/in her room? If so, you might have an odd bug. I have her at 10 stars, and she talks about wanting her own place/apologizing for her mothers behavior/really wanting kids/asking if she can help out on the farm/semi joking about how pervy she was in the 10 star event.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 2, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

DropsySufferer posted:

What happens when you buy the Costco err Jojo membership? Does the warehouse do anything? I don't want to mess around with my own save to find out.
I'm guessing it would basically ruin your game because it would close off all the community center quests.

You have to pay between 40k-60k per for the benefits you'd have gotten through the community center.

It lacks the Friendship + upgrade, so it's all the mechanical ones only.

At the start of year 3, your grandpa ghost shows up and tells you off for selling out, and some people say it ends the game. I don't believe them, but I do believe you get called out on it by your grandpa.

It's basically a bad call all around, because the only hard community center bundle to get is the Bulletin Board, and Joja doesn't have an equivalent. Everything else just takes time, and is fairly easy to get done by the end of y1/y2 if you pay attention/plan for them.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kor posted:

Yeah this is about the only thing I don't like so far. The day definitely feels like it goes by too fast, especially combined with the energy bar. I'm only in Y1 Summer though, so maybe things'll get better once I've gotten some Stardrops and access to the not-poo poo sprinklers. Like I'd really love to dive more into fishing but between farming, spelunking, and getting relationships up I've only had the time to get my Fishing up to level 1. I don't even want to get started on livestock because that just seems like even more of a timesink and, compared to farming and foraging, not even one that'll be all that profitable at this point. Gonna have to sooner or later though if just for the cooking ingredients...

That's basically the biggest issue.

Like the curve is basically Spring is a bit rough, Summer is easier, Fall is easier, Winter is super easy ( no farming ), etc etc.

As you go, you get better and better sprinklers, slave labor in the form of your wife/children, a horse/minecarts to move you across the map, the ability to control the rain, etc etc. And as you go, you have less and less things you need to do.

Like if you keep at clearing your land, you should have it totally cleared by late Summer/Fall. And then that's an entire task just kind of gone. If you visit the Mine on rainy days, by the time Winter hits and you can't farm anymore, you should be close enough to the end you can fully clear it without much issue by the end of the month. Once you get the second bag upgrade/some fishing experience under your belt, it's really easy to just go catch a few fish while you wait for stores to open/people to leave their homes, especially once you have a sprinkler system covering all your crops so you don't need to water them by hand.

The entire arc of the game isn't making money, it's about coming up with more and more solutions to the time problems, so you can eventually just laze through most of your days, figuring out the games inner workings/puzzles while your farm produces money.

I can get removing/slowing the timer dramatically, especially if you were looking for a more Simsy style farm manager, where the world is your oyster, and you came here to make pretty looking farms. But a lot of the game parts of the game are designed around time management, and if you remove it, you can easily put yourself in a situation where you breeze through all of the games content before you even hit it's "ending", and then just have to idle for 2-3 months to get the rest of the way there. ( It doesn't actually end, don't worry, you just get graded. )

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Silentplanet posted:

Paid for a Joja membership on a new play through and now I don't have to do the quality crops bundle. I am pretty happy about this.

On the other hand, now you can never get the 100% rep gain increase, and the 3 free hearts with everyone.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
FYI Corn doesn't die across Summer to Fall. If you plant it first day of Summer on some SpeedGro, it'll actually outsell both the Melon and Pumpkin by about 50%.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Diogines posted:

I want to upgrade my watering can, without loosing time to work on crops. If I upgrade it I will lose it for a few days, right?

Is there any way to avoid loosing days of time on my crops? Will upgrading it on the last day of the season work?

You have three options.

- Watch the weather channel for a rainy day. When the next day will be rainy, water your crops, then bring the can to be upgraded that day. He'll have it ready for you on the third day, so you can just go pick it up then water.

- Wait till Winter for all your Watering Can upgrades, since you don't farm in Winter.

- Sprinkers! Or alternatively who cares. Nothing will die unless you don't water it for 2-3 days, it just won't grow. Big stuff like Melons/Pumpkins will still be within the window where you can plant two cycles of them in the month, and all regrowable plants are set to end 2-3 days before the end of the month anyway. You actually won't lose anything by skipping a day.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I wish there was a way to rearrange the museum. I didn't realize there would be multiple bones, so now the skeleton looks a bit dumb.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Princey posted:

You can though? While you're placing donations you can rearrange things.

WHAT.

Even stuff I already placed?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ramadu posted:

So what do I do in the winter? just mine and fish and go back to bed at 7am to make winter pass faster?

Winter was what I was talking about when I said those slow down time mods could make the game have some pacing issues.

I couldn't imagine what you'd do if you didn't have the mines/forest to still clear when Winter came around. Watch a lot of Queen of Sauce and sleep I guess.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Archenteron posted:

Forester really needs to be changed so people actually want to pick it. Chop trees/saplings faster, get some % more wood, I don't know, but "Sell wood for 3g instead of 2g" is not it.

The problem is it's still bad.

Gatherer is insane. In a single run of the southern map you can easily get 100+ fruits thanks to the doubling effect. Especially stuff like Blackberries or Salmonberries which grow on the plants. ( I have close to 2 thousand Blackberries from getting to Fall 2. Preserves vs Wine? Who the gently caress cares, I'd need a billion goddamn kegs to even hit the point my fruit stores are getting hurt. )

If you have Artisan, at that point you've won. You have so much fruit you can make jams/jellies/booze for years without ever having to stop. Your holdback isn't fruit, it's more kegs.

The upgrades from Forester also aren't very good. A chance to get Hardwood from normal trees? Cool I guess, but at level 10 Forager you have access to the Forest, which means you have access to Hardwood in bulk. 25% better Syrup sales? Who the gently caress cares, they sell for 100/250ish with no variation. And it still pales compared to the insane buff from Artisan, which also covers all jellies/wines/jams you'll be making. ( and those jams/jellies/wines actually have variation depending on the fruit used/quality of the fruit! Unlike tree sap which is always the same price, you can easily make some hilariously expensive jams/wines even before Artisan. )

A lot of the skill trees are just bad really. Miner is....kind of useless outside of Iridium, and leads to finding more coal ( useless, just go genocide the soots ), or 25% better sales of metal bars ( why would you ever sell metal bars, you have transmute. ). Meanwhile Geologist leads to Excavator, which means not just a chance to find more omni geodes, but also more omni geodes per break. I can regularly leave a dungeon/quarry run with 50+ omni geodes now, which somewhat breaks the rare materials market, and even gives me a decent chunk of Iridium stuff.

Or how about the Rancher path for Farming, which only gives you a 10% boost to animal product sales, and leads to two talents that apparently don't even work! And if they did, they still couldn't compare to Tiller/Artisan.

Or how in Fighting, you can get 20% increased damage for filling out the fighting tree......or get yourself to 80% chance to crit thanks to Desperado/crit rings, and every time you crit something it just instantly dies.

Hell, why not include the Bat/Mushroom thing! As I said, you can easily have hundreds of fruits already just by Gatherer. Meanwhile I've fully cleared both dungeons, and in the process saw.....4 mushrooms. All Red, not a single Purple. Meanwhile my Mushroom cave is giving me 1-2 Purples a month, and 5+ Reds/Chants. Great for all those Mushroom recipes/health potions that instantly bring me back to full health/energy.

The balance across the board with the ingame choices is....poor.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 3, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Khorne posted:

The foraged berries, except crystal fruit, sell for nothing as wine because it's a multiplier.

Forester's perk is useless, yeah. I agree. The tier2 ones aren't useless though. It would maybe better if hard wood sold for a lot more than it does currently. Then forester's perk could actually be a perk.

My wine isn't selling for as much as it could be if I was using better fruit, but it is making me decent money. I wouldn't say the foraged berries sell for nothing as wine.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Kor posted:

Bouquets unlock at 8 hearts, and anything above 8 the game treats as a dating/romantic relationship when it comes to the single villagers. So, yes.

Not quite, you can break it with the free hearts from the Community Center at least.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How do gates actually work?

I placed iron wall around like so

xxxxx
x x
x
x
x x
xxxxx

And tried to put two gates in the empty space. Both appear as just a large log though, and right clicking them does nothing.

What gives?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Someone Awful! posted:

You put gates on top of walls, not in absence of them

Oh, well that'd explain it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
According to the code, hearts have two properties.

There is the gift hearts, and talking hearts.

If you talk to someone every day of a week, they'll gain 1 heart. If you don't continue to talk to them, they will lose this heart.

If you give someone a gift, they will gain a heart/up to 3 hearts. As far as I can tell, these hearts will never degrade ( I've been 10 hearting all the romances because why not, nobody seems to care, and haven't gifted over half of them for 2-3 seasons now. All still at 10. Yet the few times I talked to them every day for a week/got that heart, it'd go away by the end of the next week/it wouldn't count for the r10 event. ).

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Why is it that I can't ship equipment and only sell it to the guild? I can understand like the smith not caring for anything but gems and general store only caring about crops, but why can't I also be a fashion designer of equipment or rings, Lewis? You take literal junk items and tree seeds but not old swords and boots?

Presumably the same reason you can't put tools in the box. If you had your actual best boots/weapon in your inventory, and didn't pay attention/threw them in a box, you'd be hosed.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The zoom is so good, oh my loving god. At 1920x1080 with full zoom, going outside my house shows me everything to the edge of the greenhouse down to the bottom of the small lake.

I walked into the bus area, and could instantly see whether Pam was there or not.

I was able to see Leah more then the complimentary once a week, because I can see huge chunks of the town now! When I hear the door opening noise, it's no longer leaving me curious as to whats going on, I can see the people moving about.

Gamechanger.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

AG3 posted:

This might be a given seeing as it's been standard Harvest Moon stuff, but you DO get heart points for each day you talk to someone, not just giving them gifts twice a week. You can spot this if you pay attention to the order people appear in on the social tab. If you have two people with roughly similar affection, if you talk to the bottom one they'll often climb on the list, and occasionally it might be just the extra push you need to get an extra heart, even if you already gave them both two gifts earlier in the week.

I wouldn't bother trying to talk to everyone every single day just for the minor boost in affection, that would be a waste of valuable time, but if you're trying to get along with a specific person talking to them every day will speed up the process a little.

I'm not sure you can get anyone but Haley for the first flower dance even with that though, seeing as the boost from giving her a birthday present is more or less mandatory.

You can get Haley ( birthday plus daffodil every week ). Harvey ( coffee at 300g a pop, so you basically sacrifice your entire first Spring/Summer worth of farming for him.... ), Abigail ( you need to get an Amethyst on the first Friday the Mines open, and then another on that Saturday, and get her two Amethysts a week, including two on the week of the Festival ), and Leah ( Salads at 200-300g a pop every week, so like Harvey you basically sacrifice your farm to get a dance. ).

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone see any nonromanceable villager heart events yet? I have Linus, the Mayor, and George at 5, and havent seen anything yetm

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Digirat posted:

Abigail got more eggs than me and I'm going to kill her why does an adult like her care about this stupid kids festival stupid piece of poo poo I hate eggs

Abigail and Maru are supposed to be 18-20. It makes sense she cares about the egg hunt, she's still basically a teenager.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

MuffinMan posted:

Think that was the original plan but CA never followed through. That's why a lot of them seem paired off all the time.

That honestly makes the Maru/Harvey stuff even more creepy in some way?

Like Maru is the youngest character. Sebastian mentions he was 5-6 when she was born, and he's early/mid 20's, which makes Maru 18-20. That fits with her dad saying she deserves to go to college, not be stuck with some farmer in nowheresville.

Harvey spent 8 years getting his degree, and is supposed to be the late 20's/early 30's guy.

Why is there an implied romance between a late 20s/30+ish year old guy and a 18 year old teenager. Last I checked, even in rural farming communities that's a bit messed up.

Like I thought that CA just didn't think it through very well, and when he was making the pairings said "Ah yes, the two science people will stand near each other. Perfect". But if there was actually supposed to be something there? Uhhhhh.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
How much Iridium Ore do you get from the meteor anyway?

I have three of the drat things on my farm right now that I've been ignoring because I don't feel like upgrading my pickaxe for 3 measly ore per meteor.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

You should be upgrading your pickaxe anyway :colbert:

No seriously, a Copper Pickaxe takes two swings to break just one rock after 40F. That's probably, what, 3-5 with no upgrades? Get them and fish for a day and a half, they're really nice.

At Steel it takes 2 hits to clear all the rocks I've found in both Mines, 3 for gems. It's not a big deal with how much energy I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

AG3 posted:

Still can't get Abigail's 10 heart event to trigger, and I'm starting to fear it's permanently bugged or something.

Is it raining and or not winter.