Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Picked Stardew Valley up on PC and am curious if there are strong opinions on if it's easier to controller or kb+m it? I played Graveyard Keeper with controller, but that game is generally forgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I should play this again. Don't think I got into year 2 yet, too easy to end in weird choice paralysis.

Anyone got a quick and dirty guide to not going "poo poo, I should have had this ready for this season" when chasing community bundles? Like I seem to recall you want the iron axe in summer?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Harvest Moon and Rune Factory are the obvious ones, but mostly on portables (maybe Animal Crossing too?)

Maybe try Slime Rancher?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

WarpedNaba posted:

'ere, whatever happened to Atomikrops?

It's on the Epic Store. Maybe in Early Access, but playable with content and stuff, have seen it on youtube.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I mean, bags of guaranteed money to finish the project is the main reason why games go to Epic. Not like, retire money, but not go bankrupt money.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Blue orbs come from a bunch of places. Early on, study body parts and stuff. Check the beforeiplay page for useful info. http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Graveyard_Keeper
Also making Stone Grave Fences, and Hemp Rope will get you some.

If you need to get the graveyard up to be let in then : Take lovely bodies out of the graves and dump them, repair the stuff. Take the blood and fat out of a fresh corpse, if it's then positive skulls go put it in a grave and put it's skulls worth of decorations on (take wasted decorations off lesser graves). It's it's negative rip everything off. For a while after it might be worth cremating corpses instead, though that's a lot of wood.

The hill is the path north on a screen between your place and the wheat field. At somepoint after advancing things it'll be open.

EDIT : Also at this point 9 hours left on the Humble Monthly with Portia if someone cares.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 6, 2019

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm not a preacher of Graveyard Keeper. It's an odd duck, and I am glad I took the advice of "Just look up alchemy" and wikidived a lot of stuff because yeah. Mostly remember while the day of the week matters, there's no timelimit to anything, and crops won't rot on the vine, etcetc. I guess bodies do decay, but you can always just cremate them.

EDIT : And meanwhile at somepoint I need to get back to Stardew, but I get weirdly anxious about am I doing well enough at the bundles. Oddly I don't really give a toss about earning money other than it's required for doing most other things? Though it'd be nice to be able to afford a kitchen and cook. Also probably behind on talking to people and making friends but that feels acceptable.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 6, 2019

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It may be weird or shallow, but I was kind of sad when I realised Robin was married. Only like picking video game love interest sad. But still.

EDIT : 'You can't actually date the dwarven scout in DA:I' sad is my new metric.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Saxophone posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo I was literally popping in to ask if trees grew on the beach.

So uh, how does the bomb affect how much wood you get? I thought a higher Axe quality got you more? I could be mistaken.

From a quick wiki dive, better axes take fewer swings, better axe skill costs less energy per.

There is a foraging special skill that gives you more wood per tree, but it should apply regardless. EDIT : Luck can also apply.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Is it worth it to do the 3x3 giant crops? Tempted to for fun anyway but.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Suddenly I want to be able to buy a cart and sell stuff in town to people. Maybe hire someone or have a spouse run it while you do your farminishing.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I recall hearing the wheel game got it's odds rebalance from their old skewing? Can anyone confirm/deny?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
CA did say not to expect anything too big or crazy from his current projects, IIRC. Still interested to see what comes out.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Other than lacking mod support, people seem pretty thumbs up about the mobile versions. Don't know if that's Tablet or Phone though.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Breathedge is russian comedy Subnautica in space (maybe still earlyaccess though)

Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2 are both pretty fun, if quest-driven.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I've played through Graveyard Keeper twice. And... enjoyed myself? But not in clear and unambiguous ways that make me want to suggest it.

EDIT : For context, I was not in work during those times, and mostly fell into a hole of spending a lot of hours.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also note : The bar is rubber and will bounce if it hits the bottom at speed (and the top?). For what I recall anyway.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Gotta admit, that's a good goof.

And having recently played Subnautica, Stardew is polished as gently caress in comparison. haha. EDIT : 2d vs 3d covers a lot of visual jank issues, mind.

Also don't know how well the Switch port runs.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Having not 'finished' a game of Stardew before (or even fully completed the community centre) I'm oddly tempted to play on remixed and no 1 year guarantee, so I can play slow and sloppy and feel less bad about it. :D

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Beach + Remixed Community Centre + No 1 Year Guarantee for an explicitly no rush run sounds nice to try.

Of course, whether you need to mod the fishing is personal taste.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
A quick wiki dive suggests it is after repairing the community centre (no word of if Joja route does/can).

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'm way too bad/unoptimal to lower the profits, but it's a great option to put in I feel.

As said earlier, I remixed CC without guarantee and took the beach to try and break brainweasels about trying for a year 1 as well as try more non-crop things (because without sprinklers.. ouch). Works for me so far. But not rolling in cash, haha.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
There are also rewards for killing enough of certain types of enemies. Notably killing enough insects gives you a nice sword upgrade for free. Otherwise I'd guess mostly how deep you've gone will affect the store inventory, but I haven't checked.

Fakeedit : Beaten to it by BrainMeats

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
They are fixed unless you remix them at game start (1.5 and later) IIRC.

After a point you'll really want to upgrade your pick with Clint and/or use bombs.

There's various energy options, lots of forage around, salmon berry season can be a good time to dive. And bugmeat steaks are now a thing. (Or mash your tree seeds into granola bars.) Or even... eat your crops. Heresy I know.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
This is where I feel like there's a joke along the lines of #WhenRobin , but I also worry the internet has already made that horrible and creepy (and don't want to check)

A shame there's a mechanic reward behind marriage. Can Krobus give you a Stardrop too?

@Bakanogami : The stardew valley wiki is pretty good at most things, and/or the steam guides probably have something like that. Or go remixed community centre as an excuse for getting it wrong. :D

EDIT : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1269852282 From googling stardew valley bundles by season.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
In 1.5 you can also play original community centre, and tick a box so the travelling cart is guaranteed to sell you a red cabbage seed (in time to grow it?) allowing a year 1 complete.

Don't know if the savegame analyzer for the cart still works how it used to if you want to super geek out.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Not AFAIK, which is a shame. The time scaling option in Portia is really nice (especially if you are bad at navigating.)

On a similar note, a rival does sound cool. Higgins in Portia is both a motivation to do the core loop, and a way of knowing when you are 'doing well' and can afford to slack off and chat with people more.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

webmeister posted:

Yeah it's mid-summer, year 1 - I'm still a fair way from the greenhouse and garden pots! Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of stuff villagers always ask for once the season has passed? Separate from the Help Wanted requests, I mean

EDIT : Warning of various :siren: spoilers :siren: because it's a list of quests.

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Quests#List_of_Story_Quests

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If you have enough of a thing, you usually can mix and match quality now. I know for Fodder bundle I put in 3 gold, 3 silver then 4 base wheat. But I did need them all in my inventory at the time I think.

I was weak and used the stardew analyser to see if I could buy L.Goat Milk for my animal bundle even though I'm mostly trying not to stress, just so I have something to farm over winter. Now I just have to hope I remember to stash at least one ancient fruit before winter.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

KKKLIP ART posted:

I wanted to use an iridium fish I was lucky enough to get for the quality fish bundle and it wouldn't take it, it would only take gold.

That is weird, I put in iridum fish just fine, which the update notes suggests in intentional. Bug report if you can.

EDIT : The Bundle remix can remix some entire bundles and some individual entries in bundles. The wiki has a bunch of stuff but may not be complete. The bundle are still pretty authored, I feel? If you tick year 1 guarantee some people were report that like, the Legendary fish bundle (which I'm glad I didn't get ouch) can be down to like, half as big.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It's not wacky Ice Trap Mania OoT randomizer level remixing, for better or worse.

Does make me wonder if it's easier to mod in something like that now?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
There is a item recovery box in.. the adventurer's guild? Expensive though and only records the stuff you lost in your last death.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Trip update : Almost did a year 1 community bundle. In spring 3 y2 and just waiting on one more apple *shakes fist at fruit bats* and a beet because I was bad at managing my money, could have gotten the bus open sooner.

Sadly my collection brain also kicked back in and I tried to catch the spring Legendary fish. Which seemed nearly impossible even if the tackle to reduce the bar drop when not reeling in, and then when I exited to title and retried the day, it didn't show at all for the next couple of retries (each only the length of one Dish of the Sea buff, because I'm still fishing 9 base).

Should probably dig up most of my greenhouse and rationalize it a bit. Some re-harvest ables, some space for growing cooking stuff, and a bunch of ancient and star fruit.

Need to actually both talk to villagers more and take more time to read what they say, lol. And find somewhere to put a post-it note to remind me this is meant to be my Chill Sands playthrough and not worry about completionist poo poo (but still want the CC for post-game stuff).

EDIT : Also 50/50 on if I want to move the greenhouse somewhere better, but almost prefer it on the set it and forget it island.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 4, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Psion posted:

Suddenly I need to know how you buy a phone.

Some of the decorations Robin sells have uses. Like additional fridges, or a calendar in your house (and the phone which is partially for checking what is open and what is being sold?)

A popular mod is Chests Anywhere, though I don't know if it is MP compatible, but that lets you.. access your chests from anywhere.

And yeah, return sceptre just being a Teleport Stone from Graveyard Keeper would be choice.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I still find it oddly hilarious that Joja is MORE EXPENSIVE for the PC. Unless you buy the membership then it's as expensive as Pierre.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Clearly we need a Yes Man route where you start your OWN store, hire someone to run it, pay the townsfolk to do the repairs that are needed. Running Pierre and Morris out of business optional.

Other, much more silly ideas : Get Maru to make Clint a robo-wife. Reveal Emily to be an alien. Have a post-apocalyse AU.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If the Junimo fix it you will see a scene when you sleep that night. But that's when you finish all bundles in a room. You get a little present immediately though (click/select the gift box to open it if that's not clear) for each bundle.

EDIT : Robin asking for hardwood is a special order than can come up. Fair warning : Most orders require you to gather the things while the order is accepted, like the smaller gathering quests. So maybe plant some mahogany. Also if the wizard asks you to hunt a special slime, it will only turn up with the special order active and seems to be able to turn up anywhere in mines or skull caves.

Also special orders will reappear if you fail them, so you don't need to stress too much. Most have seasonal variants. (Though... I had Evelyn ask for 12 leeks.. that was.. a strain. @_@ )

Tylana fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 6, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Rakeris posted:

I got the 12 leak one as well, and I looked for them every day and was worried I wasn't going to get them, didn't get the last 2 till like 2 days before the quest expired. Definitely the hardest one so far or most time consuming at least.

I put so many horseradishes into seedmakers and even visited the desert trader and turned summer seeds into spring seeds. Then two days after I beat it on like Spring 21, a bunch appeared as forage. lol. OTOH, was kind of nice to mostly abandon my farm and just explore around.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Haven't seen any bundle that crazy. Is that a new possible friendship bundle? The wiki has been up and down like a yoyo, sadly. Fruit bats will help quite a bit but.

Yeah, if I was trying for year 1 I'd be tempted to restart at that. I guess how quickly you unlock new rooms to see what they need is pretty variable.

There's also a possible Children's bundle which wants 3 of 10 salmonberries,1icecream,1cookie,1strange doll

Tylana fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Bats deliver a fair bit of fruit, but it's very RNGy. They also don't care about seasons which can be nice.

Anyway, sympathies on that. Seems like something I'd totally consider using cheatmod to fix.

I guess if using remixed bundles, (and caring about time/efficency) pushing getting like 3 bundles cleared asap is very important.

EDIT :

eke out posted:

yeah this feels like a bug, I started the quest with 60 hardwood, collected 20, and while i can turn in the stack of 80 (completing that objective) i can't complete the quest because I didn't collect all 80 after receiving the quest

It is maybe bad design, it is not a bug. One quest step is "Gather 80 Hardwood." in the journal just like all the quests on pierre's board like "Catch 4 x fish, and you get to keep them." or "Clint want to look at 40 copper ore." I was quite upset when I spent a week gathering Bug Meat, but hadn't picked up the order in case I coldn't fill it. Haha

If you fail the order, you can get the stuff back from Lewis' lost and found. So, yeah. In general, it is handy to have a mahogany grove ready from when you need hardwood (tree fertilizer is powerful)

EDITEDIT : Polite feedback to ConcernedApe seems like a good action to take.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 6, 2021