Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What's the complete cost in time/money/resources to build a deluxe coop or barn from scratch? I don't have enough plots to grow poo poo on and I'm wondering if I could afford to move my animals somewhere less in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I started a new game when I found out there'd been a 1.2 patch and took a while to realize it wasn't anything at all like 1.1 in terms of gameplay changes.

I've got the hilltop farm, which definitely has my favorite layout of any of the farms. The little quarry gives you a handful of copper ores and geodes before you can access the mines and then is largely pointless, but you've got loads of cozy little nooks and crannies for bees or trees or cattle to graze by the riverbank. :3:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There’s a mine behind the carpenter’s shop which either just unlocked or is about to unlock. It’ll get you started on the crafting system, which gives you a lot of tools for making farming easier and more profitable.

The farm cave has a function, but you’ll get a cutscene for when it becomes available, so don’t worry about it until then.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's similar. Chickens can eat grass on their own, or you can buy Feed from Marnie's ranch to tide them over on rainy or grassless days. Once you have a silo, cutting grass with the scythe will produce Feed, which can be withdrawn from a stash inside the coop.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The first upgrade lets you cook food and marry people, and the second upgrade lets you have kids. You don't really need to upgrade your house until you have access to a fair amount of recipes and ingredients (or are close to marrying someone), but why wouldn't you upgrade it when you can afford to? It's where you start and end every day, and you get to put more furniture and decorations in it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Rabbit's Foot is the best overall gift item in the game, since it gets quality stars and everyone except Penny loves it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The TV gives you a tutorial on Mondays and Thursdays, and a cooking recipe on Wednesdays and Sundays. The Wednesday recipe is just a re-run of a previous episode, which can help you catch up if you missed a Sunday.

You'll exhaust pretty easy early on, but you can boost your energy by eating food. You can find stuff like leeks and spring onions growing in the wilds, which can be sold or eaten for a boost of energy.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I just buy Iridium sprinklers every week from Krobus and slowly phase out my ol' quality sprinklers. It's not the most efficient way, but it's chill and lets me earn them by doing farm stuff.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The best ring set is a magnet ring paired with another magnet ring.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You'll have to synch up stuff manually, since plants advance a step every day, and things like kegs and cheese presses are on a fixed timer.

There is some time fuckery where an hour counts as 100 minutes for things that are on the outdoor area of your farm when you're asleep, while it's 60 minutes while you're awake and for anything that's indoors. Did that ever get patched?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Do plants' refruiting cycle necessarily line up with their first cycle, though? I know Ancient Fruit would because all of its steps happen in increments of 7, but I'm not sure that goes for all the other plants.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

IcePhoenix posted:

Siets and I have discovered the joys of wild seeds in our multiplayer game as we decided to grow them in the winter to help our foraging exp and are realizing how much money we're going to be able to get from them at the end of the season.

Now I'm wondering how viable it would be to do a no farming run where the only thing you actually grow on your farm are foragables. I think the hard part would be lack of sprinklers, since I'm not sure there's any way to get them outside of the iridium from Krob every friday.

Sprinklers and wild seeds are kind of a hassle, since they aren't treated as crops and you'll lose a decent chunk of tilled tiles every harvest. You'll need to invest in your watering can either way if you're gonna go down that road.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Abigail eating rocks is just a joke from one of her gift quotes being "hey, how did you know I was hungry? This looks delicious!" and liking getting gems and quartz as a gift.

My waifu preferences would be Leah, Sebastian and Penny. Leah is the only woman who clearly reads as an adult, not just for not living with her parents, but also generally having her life figured out and a backstory of cutting ties with toxic people from her past. Sebastian is a nicely layered character, since on the surface he acts cool and aloof but is a total dork, only for you to learn that he's actually cool and a total sweetheart. Penny is pretty straightforward; her goal in life is to meet someone with whom she can start a loving family, and that is exactly what the game lets you do for her.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'd be down for a matchmaker update if it involved more than the spring dance partners hooking up. I mean, Abigail and Sebastian have a thing, and Harvey has a creepy crush on Maru, but the other couples are friends at best. Leah and Elliot's entire relationship is dancing once a year and standing next to each other at festivals. It should let you hook up Emily and Leah, or give Shane a loving life partner who's a doctor that takes care of him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eric the Mauve posted:

Alex and Haley are a super natural football-captain-and-cheerleader couple, I mean they'll divorce at like 24 but it makes perfect sense that they'd be together. Harvey/Maru never struck me as creepy at all, at least once you realize Harvey is way younger than his mustache makes you assume. (Like the early game presentation makes you think Sebastian is Pelican Town's resident goon, but no it's actually Harvey.)

I mean, Alex and Haley isn't weird in any way, and they're clearly at least friends, but I don't think that there's any dialogue that implies that either is actually interested in the other. Harvey/Maru is more creepy in the sense that the guy has no social life and is pining for the girl who works under him, but even if we're being generous he's still a man in his mid--20s wanting to hook up with a teenager. Maru clearly not being into him also doesn't help.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 5, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Skippy McPants posted:

In its defense, it is in early access and Stardew Valley wasn't much of a looker either during the earlier parts of development,

That still has a cute retro charm about it, which is still far preferable to the Newgrounds Flash Game look that other one has going on. The concept is neat and the world needs more casual farming simulators, though, so I'm looking forward to the release build of that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always put stepping stone tiles under my sprinklers and scarecrows.

E: You also don't have to plant all your crops on day 1, nor fertilize everything. Quality doesn't matter for anything you're gonna process in a keg or preserves jar, and some crops (like cranberries) mostly produce normal quality yields regardless of fertilizer and skill level.

It'd probably be pretty neat to map out your planting schedule so everything on your farm can be harvested on the 28th.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 6, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Quality eggs actually don't affect mayonnaise! Any small egg produces normal mayonnaise, while any large egg produces gold star mayonnaise. Same deal with cow/goat milk and their respective cheeses.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think that whole sequence is active in your quest journal. It's far too vague to give you any idea of what to do, but it's a good indicator that there is something you can do.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have the game on both Switch and PC, and it's frustrating to know that I could roll up a beach farm and get started right now, when the slated release date for the version that I can play chilling on the couch and also handheld will drop any day now. Get on with it, Nintendo!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm sitting in hundreds of berries, hops, and veggies. I'm assuming while I only have ~30 jars and ~10 kegs I should just sell silver and gold quality crops because new crops accumulate faster than I can turn my base level crops into artisan goods?

Are you going to spend the money you'd make? Sell that poo poo. Even if it did cost you a bit down the road (it won't, there's always more crops), you can get things you need/want now instead of later.

E: If you have a pile of strawberries and haven't already bought a batch of seeds to plant on spring 1, it's worth tossing those into a seed maker. For everything else, having the money to buy more seeds is a better bet than sitting on it.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 1, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can have pet slimes. What else does it need to be? They're not the most profitable, but if you're min-maxing, you'd just have six barns full of pigs or no animals and a vast field of ancient fruit and some keg sheds or whatever single thing has the highest RoI.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The game doesn’t let you plant fruit trees in places they can’t grow any more, and you even get a morning notification if they’ve stopped growing due to spreading weeds or debris.

E: on the farm, at least. Assuming the former also goes for the greenhouse.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Or buy a huge pile of bombs and tear through the mines/skull cave for a slightly cheaper and more interactive source of stone.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There is also a legitimate route through the game that involves tearing down the community center, even though I bet most players never bother going through the heartless capitalist route. With infinite dev time, sure, spice it up, but any content patches are better off focusing on universally available stuff.

E: missed an actual dev post somehow! You guys have done fantastic work so far. I haven't actually played version 1.5 yet; waiting for the Switch patch, but I am real stoked to play through again with the beach farm and remixed bundles.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 5, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Are the console patch drops ever announced ahead of time? 1.4 seems to have dropped for the Switch on a monday, so fingats crossed!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The game has like three science nerds with roughly one personality between them, and most of that is Demetrius being a kinda lovely dude or Demetrius being awkward.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Fertilizer in the greenhouse is removed every time the seasons change. You can do that, but you have to reapply the speed-gro on the first day of each season.

E: Never mind, the above posters are correct. Speed-gro only affects the first harvest.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 9, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
According to the wiki, fertilizer will remain in the greenhouse if its crop can grow outdoors in that season. So starfruit planted in the spring will carry their fertilizer over through the summer but will lose it on the first of fall, and ancient fruit will carry their fertilizer until winter, as I understand it.

This may have been changed in 1.5 or there may be additional rules at play; if your fertilizer is still around by winter 1st, the wiki is definitely off.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I just keep a stack of gold star cheese in my inventory; it gets bigger every day as I go about my daily farm business, and I never have to think about it. For spelunkin' I go with lucky lunches if I have them, and eel meals if not. I finally found my last mineral and got a piece of magic rock candy from Gunther; I think my next skull cavern run will be the one where I finally breach floor 100.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Torrannor posted:

These screenshots are so cool for inspiration. I know this is "simply" goon created, but is there a site where I can look up other people's farms? I'm really struggling with the hillside farm, and thinking about jumping ship to another map.

I actually think the hillside farm is the aesthetically most pleasing. I never got far enough to actually make a pretty farm there, but it comes pre-segmented.

IIRC I had

-Sheds and processing stuff on the hilltop with the farmhouse.
-Animals in the valley south of the river, will all the coops and barns right by the north bridge/grampa shrine
-Straight roads connecting the farmhouse and the three map exits, and crops stuffed in every crevice off the beaten path
-Fruit trees and flowers and bees on the little hill south of the farmhouse
-A tapper orchard covering the approach to the little home quarry

I can't build the gorgeous infrastructure goons do, but it had a nice rustic organic feel.

E: Also is anyone else getting a bug where a bunch of footprints for placing stuff are notably off? I had Robin build a silo and she put it several tiles away from the spot I pointed at. The grid for placing stuff in the museum is similarly shifted, as is the exclamation mark when I hook a fish. On the Switch, trying to work out how to fish a screenshot out of there.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 12, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yes.

I dunno how; I'm only one month into my 1.5 game, but I noticed the wiki has an article for a mushroom tree sapling.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Welp, managed to finish the community center by winter 13, which I think is my personal record. A couple of the remixed bundles were a hassle (I almost didn't scrape together 5 fiddlehead ferns), but the sticking point turned out to be a rabbit's foot, which I think has been my last contribution once before. I should get a letter from Willy within a couple days, right?

Torrannor posted:

My first pond was super cucumbers, and I got at least 5 iridium bars worth of ore out of it before year 2 was over.

Wait, super cucumbers give out iridium? That's pretty neat, but my pond has been stuck at five of them because they want a dried starfish and I have not been able to find one of those. Do they show up anywhere other than digging on the beach? I've been to it multiple times a week and found only clay and lost books. I also need one for my rainbow trout pond and probably the pond I'm building for sturgeon about now.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Most of the Qi quests are bogus, but I can recommend the "dangerous mines" one. If you beat it you get a button to enable the danger mines permanently, and the danger mines are pretty great.

Also I used the Qi gems to buy the biggest aquarium and now my living room is full of squid. :3:

E: Not that the quest is particularly chill; I ended up converting a chunk of my stone stash to staircases to make the final stretch.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My main ish right now is that I'm having a hard time making time to really dive into the volcano dungeon, because I can make time to go there in the morning maybe once a week between having to attend festivals/give birthday presents to villagers/pet my animals/smooch my goth husband. I know there's good loot in there!

I also have no idea where to find the walnut "inside hard, gold thing."

E: Haven't seen the Qi Fruit quest yet, but it sounds like the proper kind of goofy.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just had a marriage chat with Sebastian where he said he didn't really like living in a basement, and realized that Robin is kind of a poo poo mom. She built their house herself, and she can add six rooms to the farmhouse in a week no problem, but building an above ground room for her son, as though he is an actual part of the family? Who the gently caress has the time for that?

E: He even said it while hanging in the upstairs mancave I'd set up for him specifically, which was a nice touch.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 20, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Torrannor posted:

How do I take those cool screenshots of my farm?

There's a screenshot button in the options menu that takes a picture of the entire map you're on.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've got iridium/burglar and crabshell/aquamarine. Dunno if it's optimal, but I also picked desperado and the aquamarine forge upgrades to my galaxy hammer and approximately a quarter of my swings are instant kills.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It turns out that bee houses can't make fancy honies from flowers in garden pots. Which I guess makes sense from a balance perspective, but puts a real damper on my scheme to put bees everywhere that isn't the farm on western ginger island map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I finally got the Qi Fruit quest and it appears to be literally impossible. How the heck am I supposed to grow 500 of these in 14 days? That means I have 9 days to procure 500 beans, even assuming I cleared out all my farm space.

Is this one of those seasonal quests that I'd have 28 days to do if he felt like posting it on monday the first, or am I supposed to scrounge up like a hundred beans on the first day?