Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Christ I forgot how addicting this game was. I've now lost almost entire back-to-back evenings on it.

What's the best early game source of energy/health to plow through the mines? The level 2 foraging snacks? I just hit deep enough where I'm getting constantly green misted and murdered by homing bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sweet, thanks all. I'll go round and slam all the salmonberry bushes before spring ends.

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Foraging snacks -> berries -> sashimi

Try befriending Linus early to get sashimi recipe: any fish for a good food item. Also requires kitchen upgrade tho.

I do wish cooking wasn't locked behind the first house upgrade, 10,000g is a lot starting out when most of your money needs to be re-invested in crops. Even something as simple as you get a hot plate in the first house that makes really rudimentary stuff like pancakes or grilled veggies and the fancier recipes are locked behind upgrading and getting a kitchen would be so much better.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

A single scene with Sam when you get to three hearts with him. It can only be accessed before the first winter because it's about whether Kent is coming back from the war or not and the beach is too cold to play at in the winter.

Huh, I never knew that. Kinda lame but I see why it had to be done that way.

Of course I learn about this the day after I just hit day one of Winter. :negative:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If there's not already a mod where you can depose Lewis as mayor then the community has been slacking.

Lewis is a good character and a way better mayor then that fat clown-looking chucklefuck from the HM games.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I didn't even know the Vita still existed, let alone still have games being released for it.

Seriously though, tweet @ConcernedApe or bring it up in the official Discord server (you can find a link here) and see if you can get an official response. It may be a quick patch fix.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Reverend Dr posted:

I still get pretty regular crashes in the steam version.

Going for 100%, get an artifact drop that can't be fished, game crashed.

It feels really bad because it just ruins the chill nature of the game.

I play the game with like +10 mods running and haven't had a single crash since coming back to it. That said I'm not running the beta.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah if you have surplus you should always be taking product out of the keg as soon as it's done so you can put something else in. The only time it makes sense from a money perspective to let keg items age into higher quality is if you have nothing else to put in the keg.

This wiki article breaks down the ROI for keg goods and even if you have the artisan perk it's less efficient to let products age in pretty much all instances.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

andrew smash posted:

It never makes sense to leave items in a keg because they don’t age in kegs. Conversely once you put something in a cask you should just leave it as the gold gain per day is linear up to gold level (it slows for the gold -> iridium aging process but you have to pickaxe the cask up to get it to drop the item early which is too much bother for me, personally, so I just ignore it until it’s done)

Edit: rechecked the values and there’s never a reason to open a cask early money-wise, the silver and gold tiers are twice as fast but the price gain is half as much as gold->iridium so it’s a wash

:downs: You are right and I have no idea what I'm talking about. The last time I played casks weren't a thing and I think I just automatically translated cask -> keg in my head.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean this is the game where apparently you can now turn your child into a dove, divorce your spouse, then erase their memory of it all and re-court them, all via dark magic to eternally torment a small rural village, so it's not as if there were consequences before the change.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Clever but honestly once I'm about half-way through Year 2 and officially pulling down so much money I have nothing left to do with I go buy hundreds of grass starter and reseed as needed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Truffles produce an insane amount of money and pigs can dig up multiples a day. Even with their inability to produce during winter because they won't go outside you make the investment on a pig back pretty fast and then some.

IIRC Goats and Ducks actually produce less money overall than Cows/Chickens even in the most ideal conditions, but I could be wrong.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
While I don't plan to produce on quite that scale thank you for pointing out the automation mod. Filling/emptying kegs/casks is the goddamn worst and just being able to dump stuff into a chest will be a huge QoL improvement.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Funnily enough my current video game loop is:
1. Play factorio until I hit a design snag and/or get burned out
2. Play stardew to relax and think up how to proceed while chill farming.
3. Go back to Factorio once I've figured out what I want to do next.
4. Rinse, repeat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think this sort of thing should be in the vanilla game, BUT it starts empty, and fills out with info as your player experiences things. Like, you give a gift to someone, and they love it, and you put that in there. That way, you kind of use it as a reminder, but you're sort of building your own in-game wiki.

Maybe some sort of end-game-ish bonus is having a junimo fill out a ton of info. Or do it in steps, like having the option to find out literally everything about one person, or find out everything about one type of crop/item.

Poque posted:

that'd rule, esp. if you could carry it forward to a new game.

This is more more or less exactly how Game Dev Tycoon handles its information on good genre/platform/audience/game type combos and it works pretty great. Agree it would be incredibly obnoxious to code though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tin Tim posted:

Can you find a rainbowshard in the normal mine?

The skull cavern is really awful to play and I don't ever wanna go back there

You can, it's just super rare. Once you've reached the bottom of the regular mines they have a 0.05% (1-in-2000) chance of dropping off any monster.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

chairface posted:

Kent, the PTSD-addled ex-POW, mails you bombs.

I mean he's gotta get them out of the house somehow.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I gifted him homemade sashimi once and he's all "This is what they fed us in the prison camps!" :qq:

I wanna know what country employs sushi chefs to feed the POW's.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

andrew smash posted:

If you can force your way through Haley's early demeanor she is actually one of the best friend/romance stories

Yeah I'm waifu-ing Haley in my current multiplayer game after basically never saying more than two words to her in any of my previous games, and she's really grown on me. Certainly way better than Penny's "oh white knight please save me from my miserable trailer trash existence!" crap from my last game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Coolguye posted:

leah's my homegirl personally. she honestly wants to be in the valley and has her own thing going on. it just so happens to pair pretty perfectly with your thing, and she's pretty and smart besides.

FWIW Harvey is also a top tier husbando, for a lot of the same reasons.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Goddamn why did I pick the river farm, there's no loving space for anything.

In Y2 Spring and after spending all of Y1 Winter trying to come up with a way to make it look both pretty and functional, I've settled on just functional for another year so I can rack up a ton of money, then make it pretty from Y3 onward.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I would like an ending where you drive both Pierre and Joja out of town.

No Gods, No Masters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Eh, the travling vendor alleviates the worst of the bundle grind. I pretty much always end up getting my rabbits foot from her long before I have the deluxe coop.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Casu Marzu posted:

Just found out that apparently some people speed run Stardew Valley. I guess anything can be a speed run, but that's kinda crazy.

No joke I'd watch an AGDQ run of Stardew

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What's the best RoI item to place in casks? Wine seems like a bad deal since iridium wine takes two months to hit iridium and is only worth 2x the base price, but regular wine only takes seven days to crank out which means two regular wines (14 days) brings the same profit as one fully aged wine (56 days). x4 the time spent before shipping for only x2 profit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:getin:

Fabulousity posted:

I watched a speed run done a while back with the goal being to reach 1 million gold. It involved the player sleeping over and over trying to get to the Halloween celebration so they could use a bug to clone the golden pumpkin and then dump dozens of them into the shipping box. While interesting if you're familiar with the game I think in a GDQ environment it wouldn't be remotely compelling. Maybe a goal other than make x money would make for a better experience. Race to the mines level 100? Skull cave? With version 1.4 maybe a race to become besties with Krobus?

Yeah I was thinking either mines, or 100% bundle completion. Both would be super RNG dependent of course since if the traveling cart gives you enough early items you can steamroll the bundles.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cliff is just wanderer who crushes on Ann because she works at the inn he's staying at and he sees her a lot. He also leaves the town in Y1 Winter unless you set him up with a gig at the winery, it has nothing to do with Ann.

I've had an itch to go back and play FoMT again even though it's kind of a mess and lacking in pretty much all of the QoL improvements stardew has.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TurnipFritter posted:

also purchase Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town, coming exclusively to Nintendo Switch at some point this year that is to be determined.

Oh hey they remade it, neat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I wish when animals came out of the barn/co-op they came out more gradually, picked more random directions to go in, and didn't immediately eat the first patch of grass but would "graze" for a bit before consuming one. It's a dumb nitpick but I hate how all your animals come out in one massive clipping blob, and all devour a huge section of grass at once.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I want to set Abigail up as the Wizard's apprentice. I don't even care if all the hints that she's his illegitimate child are real or not. Abigail is unsatisfied with her boring rear end normal life and wants to do some crazy mystical poo poo, and the Wizard keeps complaining to me every time I go over to shove void essence in his face that he needs an apprentice, let's loving go you two.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^^^ My Time at Potria did a pretty good job at being Stardew but weird imo: you're more an engineer than a farmer but it has the same vibe and general gameplay loop, and the post-apocalyptic setting is neat. It's also really satisfying to actually see the projects you take go up around the map and improve life not only for you, but also the townsfolk.

My Y2 goal in pretty much every game once I've got my legs under me is to amass enough seed stock that I never have to buy another thing from Pierre for the rest of the game. Have fun stocking seeds to sell to nobody dickhead!

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 22, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking DLC where you make people's lives better, can I please get one where you dunk Lewis' head in a toilet and give him swirlies while repeating over and over that he's a moron and should just loving propose to Marnie, and when I finally let him up for air he agrees and does just that?

Thanks in advance CA.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Nobody in town likes Pierre. Even his wife and daughter just sort of tolerate him. Like some days you'll find Caroline hanging out by the community garden and if you talk to her the first thing she says is "You know, I'm just going to focus on trying to think positive today." Clint is just kind of a sad sack in a similar vein to Shane, albeit with far less of an excuse for being so. If the town could collectively pin a crime on anybody, it'd be Pierre.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In that case it would absolutely be Linus.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Coolguye posted:

i would rather betray the whole town than have the town betray linus

:hai:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only part about fishing I don't like is the legendary fish because catching them has nothing to do with skill and everything to do with getting good RNG on their more rapid movements. Sometimes they zip around so fast and so constantly it is completely impossible to catch them even if you're a fishing god, other times they're about as hard to catch as a Tuna. Just keep casting until you get lucky is boring and tedious.

Otherwise fishing is fine.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This is also a world where you learn to speak to bears by drinking some dank juice given to you by a wizard, and you can heal the wounds you took from fighting flying serpents and ghosts in the mines by slamming pizzas down your mouth.

For all we know holistic medicine actually works in Stardew.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I always pick the mushroom cave because once you get fruit trees up and running the fruit bats are kinda superfluous, meanwhile gently caress trying to hunt for the mushroom floor in the mines.

You get common shrooms 90% of the time but usually the cave gives enough variety to make 2-3 life elixirs a month and they're not bad in a pinch.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I complete the community center at my own pace because I play the game to relax, not be a tryhard :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Excelzior posted:

It's weird how this game has its community backwards where the casuals just can't help but poo poo all over anyone trying to actively accomplish goals

You mean how its community are forward thinking.

People who tryhard a game that's meant to be casual relaxing fun are the weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

LLSix posted:

Iridium truffles are worth more than truffle oil.

Not if you have the artisan perk.