Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

Tiy ‏@Tiyuri
@ConcernedApe Hey Eric, I sent you an email :) I'd love to have a chat with you some time

Tiyrui of Starbound fame seems interested in Stardew Valley. I recall a recent Q&A with Tiyuri where he said he said he wanted to make a Harvest Moon / Rune Factory type game next.

Tiyuri posted:

We’ve not really discussed a next project yet but I’ve wanted to do a multiplayer harvest moon/rune factory style game for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jesto posted:

Big update: Stardew Valley is being published by Chucklefish, which is also developing Starbound. As a result the website is in the process of receiving a major overhaul.

http://stardewvalley.net/

It's being updated bit by bit. The website is looking quite a bit better. :)

Hey! Thought so. Rather excited about the game now that it has this going for it. A one-man operation would have been difficult.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't much care for talent trees in my farming simulators but I'll wait until I get a chance to play before I decide how well it fits in this game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm excited for this but I'm plenty comfortable waiting on it. I feel like the last few Harvest Moon games have burnt me out before I could get a year of gametime in.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jackard posted:

It does sound like an American version of that game where you date disabled girls, except it's their mental health instead of their being deaf or whatever. Not everyone needs to have capital-p Problems to be interesting characters and even reading those descriptions feels a little predatory.

Harvest Moon was the same way, like most Japanese games

Having a varied cast would actually make it more American...

Not if you lived in the country.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
and here are the images:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I found most of the music to be disappointing, having played a lot of Harvest Moon games.

The Goblin music did get me nostalgic about Runescape though. Thought it was nice.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

drunken officeparty posted:

Is there going to be any sort of time limit or win condition or something? One of my least favorite parts of the Harvest Moon series is how you can't just peacefully farm forever and the game will end itself for you.

I'm not sure that's true excluding a few of the older ones and A Wonderful Life. Pretty sure Friends of Mineral Town, Island of Happiness, and A New Beginning went on forever. Not sure about any others because I've only played the four listed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Catts posted:

Why can't I give CA money yet :argh:

I keep throwing money at my screen but no game is popping out.

If it's anything like Chucklefish's other big game then I'll have paid for it and then 8 months later they'll come out with a featureless beta.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Machai posted:

More house upgrades seems like the perfect thing for post-release updates.

If there's one thing I want in this game, it's the most bare bones but technically playable experience. :jerkbag:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't see the problem. Getting tired of half-assed-at-release games because they pushed it out for impatient schmucks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I like Procedural Generation in some games, but in others it gets really old after a point. It's like seeing the exact same lego blocks arranged differently time and time again. Sometimes structured content is the way to go.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Releasing half-tested games is what gets us an unfriendly UI and other weird issues with Harvest Moon games. I'm cool with the polishing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't know why people focus so heavily on a single game that they can't stand it takes time to develop it. Spread out your interest a bit and a game you're looking forward to will come out every month.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't decide which is never gonna come out first, this or Enemy Starfigter. :v:

I like half-assed pieces of crap too because I'm unable to wait for a one-man operation to create a game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just two years, huh?

Kind of wish these farming games would plan for 4-5 years of things to do but I guess developers of this type of game know most players only play a couple seasons.

I only managed a season or two in Story of Seasons and A New Beginning. But only because they needed some quality of life tweaks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah, I'm not advocating time based events. Just that there's so much content to unlock that it takes me a few years to see it all at an average pace.

I don't mind everything not being unlocked in year 1 but I'd prefer things locked behind other limitations other than time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think A Wonderful Life on the Gamecube was the last one to go that route. I kind of liked it actually. After the first year it skipped a year or so of time and advanced storylines. A couple years later it might've done another time skip.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Avocados posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I'm gonna keep my head in the sand and ask my friends to do the same though. This seem like the ultimate chill game.

Yeah. I already plan to unbookmark the thread as soon as I'm playing the game, barring any questions/issues that come up in the first few days.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Now I can add it to my wishlist and forget about it!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'd be satisfied with any decent Harvest Moon like game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm sorry this one-man team is too slow for you.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Then don't play it until multiplayer. :ms:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Harvest Moon has a mobile "full" game coming out around the same time. IOS, Android, and PC.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Yar The Pirate posted:

World's Dawn just released today as a Harvest Moon clone. Anyone have any opinions? It looks kind of generic, but I'm so desperate for a Harvest Moon game I'll play almost anything. Haven't tried Rune Factory so I guess that's an alternative

Seeds of Memories was just released for iOS.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Counterpoint, as a Harvest Moon fan, I didn't enjoy Rune Factory.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Seeds of Memory isn't very good imo.

I think it's fine for :10bux: until Stardew comes out. It's convenient to have on my phone too.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dragongem posted:

like the first one or the entire series

because the series goes from "eh" to "alright" to "great" to "wow this is really amazing"

My experience with 4 is "anime overload" and some of the worst dialogue and story I've seen in a video game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think I still have it sitting around somewhere. I should really just give it away to some goon who really wants it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Seeds of Memories is supposed to be on Android soon if it isn't already. It plays like a light Harvest Moon but I wouldn't say it's missing anything major.

There's a Harvest Moon thread that encompasses all Harvest Moon-like games other than Stardew with this thread.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 29, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Mzbundifund posted:

Man that's a slow walk speed.

Gives you something to upgrade.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Release Date: February 26th

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I think the game looks pretty great on the whole. The guy does good pixel art.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's too bad for Fire Emblem. :smug:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Also, hats off to you guys for keeping this streamed announcement short. I thought I'd have to listen through at least an hour of muddling through the gameplay before the announcement.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

drunken officeparty posted:

Dunno if this is news but CA confirmed it will be $15

It'll be easy to convince people to jump in without waiting for a sale at that price. Solid.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Produced by Chucklefish after a point. But who knows for the rest of it. Might be on the Tarn Adams diet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I doubt it. It hasn't changed anyone's opinion here and I've seen no one throw a bigger fit about Chucklefish than the people on these boards.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The game they're developing isn't as good as people expected.

Not to be confused with this game that they're publishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist