Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
So how come you can hook up with Krobus but not Sandy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Has anyone done a run where they marry and then divorce everyone before finally living with Krobus in mutual Citizen Kane-esque exile on your winery?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I think the biggest weakness in this game compared to its rivals is the lack of new dialogue from villagers. It feels like they all have 5 lines outside of their special scenes. They all say identical things at the year two holidays. Stuff like Rune Factory will go a year without a repeated line.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It took me until late into year 2 to realize that food stacks with drinks. For ideal mining you should bring a stack of spicy eel or lucky lunch and a stack of triple shot espresso.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I feel like Leah might not be that functional. She definitely is an adult unlike most of the options, but she ran away from the city (a place with an art scene) to do her art in the middle of nowhere without any realistic plan for things like not dying from starvation and exposure. She doesn't even have a plan to sell it online unless you bring it up. She lives in a shack in the woods and eats berries. She was dependent on a wealthy ex before and if you romance her then you become her new sugar-daddy / sugar-mama, supporting her with your highly profitable winery so she can keep making GBS threads out abstract sculptures without buyers.

She has expensive tastes too. She likes poo poo off the ground because it appeals to her aesthetic beliefs but what she really wants is wine and truffles.

Her ex wasn't wrong, just an rear end in a top hat.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Chill life pro-tip:

There is absolutely no reason to worry about anything in this game.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I made a special adventuring box so I could drop off my poo poo and get to adventuring within seconds of getting up.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
A large supply of explosives or a pile of cash

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Bring a thick stack of healing and buffing meals and some stacks of stairs, then dive deep in the skull caverns.

Edit: explosives too! Lots of explosives. Suckers use pickaxes.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It would be cool if the kids had little personality flags that are some combination of randomized, spouse dependent, and conversation triggered.

Like your daughter will say art things sometimes (Leah is spouse), she's really into cows (random), and she has a deep hated for Pierre (you told her Pierre is a villain).

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yes?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I think Leah is the most popular spouse, even though people really like Krobus.

1. She's a cheap date. She likes things you find on the floor and loves things you'll want to produce in mass anyway

2. She's an adult and reads as an adult

3. Her life goals (being an artist and not worrying about money) align with yours (making a ton of money and having a lady in your house who fusses with art in the corner).

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Khanstant posted:

The keg thing is really weird. Seems like the quality of what is put into wine is given high importance IRL. Aging is important too, but is aging enough to make good wine from lovely grapes?

Folks seem to have missed the "IRL" here. Yeah, in real life it depends on the product. People care about which grapes were used to make the wine, but they don't give a poo poo about the potatoes used to make the vodka.

If it makes you feel any better, 'quality' seems to be mostly appearance, not taste. You can assume that everything you grow is really high quality organic produce when it comes to things like how well the soil is prepared and how ripe it is, but like a lot of the food we grow, some of it does not match the ideal appearance we have in our head for the thing so it won't sell in a super market.

The quality of keg stuff doesn't matter because no one selects their wine grapes based on how shiny and full they look like they would at a market stand. You just throw the batch in there even if it's misshapen, and if the harvest is good overall it will make good wine.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I thought starfruit wine had a better ROI than ancient fruit jam?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I just looked that up... What kind of spaghetti code makes you poo poo out iridium sprinklers whenever someone says [645]

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Quick napkin math

322 x 30 x 4 = 38640
1491 x 20 x 3 = 89460

Pigs are still worth more than twice as much per year as cows. They're more of a headache though and their products are less useful outside of sale price.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Started a new beach farm and decided to go JoJo. I'm only at the start of Summer 1. Some thoughts:

1. JoJo is very freeing and the price of the greenhouse is really affordable. I'll buy it before winter 1.

2. I decided to do a lot of honey so I could just water single flowers on the sand. At endgame I'll put in retaining fertilizer. But it seems going hard on honey really means grinding the mines. First you need a bunch of copper for tappers and then iron for the bee houses and a ton of coal. So I've been doing that a lot and still only have 4 bee houses right now.

3. I'd planned to take advantage of the ocean farm by getting a ton of crab pots, but haven't yet. Fishing is opposed to mining when it comes to how you spend the afternoon and your spare energy. Crab pots also overlap with bee houses. As more money comes in I may start buying them.

4. So far I'm running without mods but may get automate to handle the crab pots when they annoy me. That doesn't need a fresh save, right?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The Wizard wanted a prismatic slime so I went to the caves every day for a week and still didn't find it.

I ended up building the greenhouse in the middle of Fall 1. By Spring 2 I've gone down to skull 100 and have 30+ iridium bars in storage. I pumped a ton of money into pigs and I'm working on my second maximized honey array.

I'm going to max out my house before building the boat. Right now the main bottleneck to both is hardwood, so I'm working on a forest of the stuff with tree fertilizer.

Last time I went with Leah, now I'm playing the field. So far Haley is still the worst. I like Penny, she knows what she wants out of life.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I just realized I should sell my pigs at the start of each winter and buy a new set 10 days before Spring.

You make a profit on the sale price, pig hearts don't matter, and you don't have to feed them for 20 unproductive days.

Sorry piggies, you're ham.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Trade them for hay on Monday

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I won't say I like Clint.

I don't even respect him.

But I don't hate him.

I hate Lewis.

In addition to new event dialogue this game could use some more mobility in the lives of the villagers. Some people should leave town or hook up if you don't marry them

In one Harvest Moon game I played you were racing rival romance events.

I'm still cool with Clint never making a move, but Sebastian should move out of his parent's basement after five years.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Now that we have deluxe retaining soil and garden pots you can turn any inside location into a greenhouse.

Given the TARDIS nature of sheds, does it make sense to replace all growing land with them?

Enter the new farm design: the JoJo Food Production Facility. Nothing but lines of sheds and other farm buildings.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I filled the southeast room with enough coffee to sustain my 3 cappuccino a day habit and a few corn plants for lucky lunches.

Profit crops are for the greenhouse and the island.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I also always wear a burglar ring and have picked up like 10 of the bats for fertilizer and I haven't run the volcano very much.

My rings right now are:

Iridium/ Burglar
Crab / Phoenix

Just finished the quest to reach 100 in the skull cavern without any food or drink. I only had 50 stairs so it was pretty narrow. The Phoenix ring gave me enough health to finish. I don't think it's possible without abusing stairs.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The hilltop farm is the only option that would allow for somewhat conventional play. Seedmaker, honey, and kegs/preserves require mine resources.

You can plant wild seeds and then use a seedmaker on the better products, eventually even set up a conventional sprinkler system.

I think the best option for the other maps is just to set up an enormous tree farm and sell wood. Your axe sucks and you can't cook but you can eat field snacks, so it's matter of time each day to chop wood.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Sam does it but only because Haley tells him to.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Fertilizer is fine if you didn't buy it and you're planning to sell the produce straight instead of process it. Basic fertilizer is just sap, quality is just sap and trash fish.

It shouldn't be a big deal to you, but quality fertilizing melons and pumpkins is likely a good idea, and speedgrowing outside berries is a good idea too.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Seedmaker is for Ancient Fruit, Qi seeds, and strawberries

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Best cask value per day goes:
1. Starfruit Wine
2. Ancient Fruit Wine
3. Goat Cheese
4. Cheese
5. Other Wines

Cheese has a faster return though, so you can put that money to use. Depends on if you're saving for super expensive stuff like the clock or if you want to reinvest that money.

Ideal process is grow enough starfruit for three caskings in the summer, turn that to wine, then cask that wine for your other seasons. Takes a year for that to fully pay off though, so it's more of a year 3+ thing. Year 1/2 if you have casks I'd put cheese in them.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Warmachine posted:

Look at all you scrubs who don't have pressure nozzles to do 4 on the perimeter and only 1 in the plantable zone. Git gud :smug:

Sprinklers inside? Like a scrub??? Use deluxe retaining soil.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I just want people to say and do new things for each holiday for the first three years. Also date-able Sandy.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Abigail is fine, she just wants to go fight slimes in the mine.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Lewis needs to make Marnie an honest woman and until he does he's an rear end in a top hat. She wants them to be a couple and his excuse is it might endanger his mayor job but that's total bullshit.

Also he doesn't turn the tax money into community improvements, he spends it on a gold statue and waits for a philanthropist with a successful winery/apiary/jam business to invest in the infrastructure the village desperately needs.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I just bomb the volcano. It seems to have a lot more rock than the other mines.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Luck + Speed is best for the skull mine but I just use pepper poppers for day to day and crab cakes in the danger mines.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
You can both use the horse but only one at a time. If your friend takes your horse to visit the beach, you're walking to the mountains.

If you each want your own horse you need to build more stables.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It's a Qi gem item, so an end game convenience.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

blackguy32 posted:

I wish this game had a quick start option for experimenting with different stuff. I don't want to deal with the community center stuff after doing it twice.

It's called JoJo Mart

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
For iridium deep dive the skull mines:

1. Get a stack of +luck or +speed food. +Luck is better.

2. Get a stack of healing food with 0 buffs, or the healing potions.

3. Get a stack of bombs. I prefer mega-bombs bought in bulk from the dwarf and you can craft them from ingredients you likely have a bunch of. I don't like to craft normal bombs because I have better uses for coal.

4. Make a few staircases. The stone cost is steep so I don't lean on them a lot even when I'm going 100+.

5. Get a desert and farm teleport totem.

6. Ideally you will have good equipment like an iridium pickaxe and a galaxy sword but that isn't really a requirement.

7. Teleport to the desert first thing after the tv tells you it's a high luck day.

Bomb away, jump down holes. Don't stop to mine anything but iridium. Stair skip dinosaur and infestation levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Iridium and burglar are both good. Phoenix will help if you play a bit sloppy or can't eat.

The most important thing is to bring a fat stack of healing. The only thing that can kill you then are hungry ghosts. Status immunity is really for them.