Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
So I have a question to which the answer is very probably "stop overthinking and just play, you dingus" but I figured I'd ask the thread in its collective farmy wisdom anyway: how do I shrug off FOMO and play this game in a way I don't crash and burn before I get anywhere?

I've started two farms now (debating whether to start over a third time or just dust the cobwebs off my second one since I was making headway with my girl Leah) and I love how much there is to do, but both times that's resulted in eventual burnout. I'll get really into fishing, but then oh poo poo I've been neglecting the mines, but then oh poo poo I haven't fully optimized my farm layout and placement of different machines to produce useful items, but then in all this I have been neglecting my relationships with the townsfolk...and I eventually kinda crash and go play a nice straightforward beat-em-up game for a while.

There's so much content in the game I haven't even gotten to before the more recent expansions. I know there's no real deadline to anything and the game can be enjoyed however people want to play it, but any tips on re-training my brain to actually believe this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
The thing is I do enjoy the poo poo out of it while I'm actually playing! I just checked my Switch and it has me at "100 hours or more" of playtime, so it's definitely not a matter of not having fun. Looking back, both times I kind of tapped out when I was starting to get a lot more resources beyond just going up a tier in equipment and crop quality and worried about making An Optimal Plan, so maybe it's the decision paralysis that's my problem.

Re-visiting one of the existing farms does sound more fun than starting from scratch again. And I did get into Animal Crossing between my last jaunt through SDV and now, so maybe I'll be better at the "no particular goal, you can tear the land up and change it if it's not your vibe" thing this time.

eta:

Tylana posted:

My main suggestion, is to set goals, which makes prioritizing them easier. There is a certain amount of in-game support for this. Focus on the Community Centre first, for instance. By the time that wraps up you are probably either done, or chill enough to have skipped most of the FOMO. Make smaller sub goals. Maybe try having some paper and actually writing them down and crossing them off. How 'expensive' your free time is for you may affect this too though.

Also yeah. Get a big Post-It Note of 'NOTHING IS MISSABLE' and slap it on your monitor/tv/notepad.

I'm on Switch for now so no mods, but this sounds about right. It's the "there's SO MUCH TO DO how will I ever achieve it" that's intimidating so smaller goals would probably help. :unsmith:

effervescible fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 19, 2021

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

effervescible posted:

So I have a question to which the answer is very probably "stop overthinking and just play, you dingus" but I figured I'd ask the thread in its collective farmy wisdom anyway: how do I shrug off FOMO and play this game in a way I don't crash and burn before I get anywhere?

I've started two farms now (debating whether to start over a third time or just dust the cobwebs off my second one since I was making headway with my girl Leah) and I love how much there is to do, but both times that's resulted in eventual burnout. I'll get really into fishing, but then oh poo poo I've been neglecting the mines, but then oh poo poo I haven't fully optimized my farm layout and placement of different machines to produce useful items, but then in all this I have been neglecting my relationships with the townsfolk...and I eventually kinda crash and go play a nice straightforward beat-em-up game for a while.

There's so much content in the game I haven't even gotten to before the more recent expansions. I know there's no real deadline to anything and the game can be enjoyed however people want to play it, but any tips on re-training my brain to actually believe this?

Resurrecting my years-old post to share that I did eventually start a third farm with everyone's advice in mind and now I'm having a good time :unsmith: In retrospect it was the FOMO of not wanting to miss bundle items that were only available in a specific season/hoping to get Ghost Grandpa's approval the first time/there being SO MUCH to do at a time when your capabilities are low. I focused on sub-goals without thinking about what I wasn't doing and that worked for me. Once year two rolled around I realized just how fast the money and resources start snowballing, and I completed the community center for the first time ever! There's a bunch of stuff I'm excited to explore now, and I'm gonna marry Leah once I make some cute wedding clothes, but I actually feel the chill good times with no particular rush.

Thanks goons! Now my biggest SDV problem is all the produce and artisan goods making me really hungry when I don't have that quality of food in my kitchen.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I especially like:

quote:

Two mini fishing festivals:

dynamic dialogues which react to things that happened;

You can now get multiple pets

Bait Maker, which can produce fish-specific baits

Added more secrets & easter eggs.

:perfect:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Avalerion posted:

Anyone take a snapshot of the new farm yet?

Was just about to ask this. I wanna seeeeeee. Everything else can wait until after work but I gotta look at the new land.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Pththya-lyi posted:

Wait I hear the starter chickens have different names in different saves. What the hell that's so cool

Mine are Polka and Dot, and someone on a Discord server I post in has Piccolo and Viola. What did you all get?

Puffy and Huffy :3:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Last night I wanted to swap out my default bed for a cuter bed I got from the ticket machine, but my cat was sleeping on it and the game informed me I could not change a bed currently in use. That's the most realistically cat thing ever, A+ programming.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Yesterday I got engaged to Leah and immediately thereafter Demetrius issued veiled threats about my place in his daughter's future. OK dude.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Linus doesn't deserve that.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Now I'm being forced to consider who else is in attendance.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Am I doomed to have that truffle sitting out forever? I watched a pig dig it up right in front of me and I cannot reach it from any angle.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Grundulum posted:

PC, Switch, or mobile? I believe there are ways to interact on the diagonal in all three systems, albeit possibly very slowly.

Switch. I can interact diagonally just fine on kegs etc. but this stupid thing resists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Cherry bomb took care of it. Thanks y'all! It was just bugging me having it stuck there.