Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm only on Year 2 Summer of my first game, and I'm really tempted to make a new game once the patch hits even though I'm not even close to finished with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
How tedious would an all-animals focused farm be? Keep farming to a minimum and instead have multiple barns and lots of animal products.

Pigs are expensive (16,000 G each!) and don't produce anything in winter, but they can produce truffles every day of spring, summer and fall. Truffle oil sells for 850 G - 1275 G, and that's before the Artisan bonus kicks in. Plus truffles technically count as foraged items, so the double harvest and guaranteed gold quality skills both apply.

Of course, the investment to get to that point is huge: A Deluxe Barn, Farming Level 8, etc., plus enough grass to keep all your animals fed through the winter...

Stardew Valley isn't all about money, but could focusing on animals be fun?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thanks for the comments. Maybe I'll take a stab at it sometime. I'm still working on my first game (Year 2 Summer) and just unlocked the Skull Cavern. I feel like I've got a lot to do still!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

To get Strawberry seeds don't forget about the seed maker. If you were able to get the greenhouse by winter you can turn a few strawberries into more than enough seeds come spring.

That's my plan right now. My greenhouse is a few ancient seeds, starfruits and strawberries.

Coolguye posted:

for which year?

year 1, you need to go heavy into crops to pump your farming level up. you are not going to get rich doing that, so your only real goals should be raising enough money to buy all the seeds you need on Summer 1 and pumping your farming to at least 6 for Quality Sprinklers. you do this by planting as much as humanly possible, which basically means tons of parsnips and slowly switching over to potatoes as the season goes on. you don't need to go TOO hard to hit farming 6 but you do need to be hitting it every day.

for year 2, you can likely take the season off and not miss too much. if you have strawberries left over, sure, plant them, but it doesn't make sense to buy a ton of them to plant a year from now; you're going to need that money to buy more hops and blueberries in summer.

Why hops? Just for making pale ale?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dorkopotamis posted:

"Just" for making pale ale? JUST for making pale ale?

Get a load of the balls on this guy.

"Just" for making pale ale!? Yeah, buddy! Just for making pale ale!

Paul.Power posted:

They're pretty good in that hop plants produce every day once they're grown and pale ale only takes two days in a keg, so there's a nice turnaround time on them.

I hadn't realized Pale Ale is worth 12x the base price of Hops :v: I need more kegs...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Alright, more newbie questions: What should I do with my first 5 bars of iridium? Make an iridium band? Upgrade my pickax?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'll upgrade my pickax then. Anything that makes Skull Mine easier is appreciated.
I don't really a pressing need for iridium sprinklers at the moment, I don't plan to expand my farming operation soon and I have the few that I need for my greenhouse.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

rotinaj posted:

If you have earned a heart event but not seen it, the next time you fulfill the timing for that scene, it will go off. If you need to go to the spa at 8 PM for something and miss a day, the next time you go to the spa at 8, the event will go off. If you missed Leah's 2 heart for some reason and it's at her place, and are up to her 4 heart event at the pub or whatever, the next time you go to her place, the 2 heart event will go off.

You can have events stack -- I somehow missed never went to the beach at the right time to see Alex's 2 heart. When I reached 8 (?) hearts with him, I got to see his 2-heart and his 8-heart back-to-back just by entering the Ocean twice. It was actually pretty jarring and kind of funny.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Am I right in thinking you can't get any friendship hearts with the Dwarf if you can't talk to him? I still haven't found Dwarf Scroll I, and it's really frustrating!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Great :( His birthday just passed, too.

ShoulderDaemon posted:

I think they're really sensitive to how deep you are. I always wind up finding II, III, and IV relatively deep in the mines, but then I have to go back to levels 5-10 for what seems like ages to get I. About half the time a slime drops it, and half the time I get it from digging up soil. I think the lowest I've ever seen I was around level 15, which really sucks because I typically blow past those levels really quickly in order to get to the more profitable levels below.

The wiki says it's in levels 1 - 120 (the whole mine!). I guess I'll focus on the first few levels then. Thanks.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ShoulderDaemon posted:

Could be confirmation bias on my part, but I hope it works for you.

I found one at level 7 just now in a patch of dirt! Could be confirmation bias still.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Lobster Harmonica posted:

is the rune factory series really worth checking out? I always figured I would have heard more about it

LordHippoman is doing an LP of RF1: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766459

Apparently RF1 and RF2 are pretty awful, but 3 and 4 are really good. I've never played them though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Look, if I got 4 giant mushrooms without any sort of planning and with less than a third of my farm forested still, you'll be fine once Fall hits.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Cythereal posted:

If you marry him, the state of his room suggests that either therapy isn't going well for him, or that he just has a long way to go. :(

Granted, every character I was interested in romancing was an option from the get-go. I like the new heart content with Shane, but not as a love interest.

There's at least one mod that fixes that, thankfully.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh. :(

I'm not interested in marrying him, but I really, really want to help him get back on his feet. I hope that it just means he has a long way to go, instead of him getting a bad therapist that isn't working for him.

fake edit: Did some googling, going with mushrooms. They're more consistent and apparently you can get your own fruit, so!

I definitely liked the mushrooms, since free reds and purples are nice, but I had been planning on making an orchard from the start so I had no need for bats. Fruit trees take a while to pay for themselves, if that matters to you. (It shouldn't.)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
A quick note about guarantying a day upgrade the watering can. Every season has a perfect day for upgrading your watering can: the 27th. It's pointless to water your crops on the 28th, and you can pick your upgraded watering can just in time for planting crops on the 1st of the next season.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I'm pretty sure two of those trees aren't going to grow quickly (or at all?) due to being too close to the stumps. The 8 tiles around the sapling must be completely clear.

Looks like a pretty cool setup overall!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

So it shows the heart events out of order....? I saw the six heart event, but not the four heart one.

It can happen. I saw Alex's 8 heart and 2 heart events back-to-back, in that order.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The Oasis sells them every Wednesday for 1000g.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

I've always wondered about this too, to be honest

e: I think I've said this before but I like Abigail too much to marry her, she needs to get the hell out of Stardew Valley and never look back.

I'm glad I'm not the only who's curious about the Cowboy Wizard.

I feel that way about a lot of the bachelors, they all seem to want to get out of Stardew Valley and I don't want to hold them back.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Once you get him to ~8 hearts, Alex talks about how he's thinking it would be nice to stay in Stardew Valley. And I got the feeling Sam wanted to move out and make it big in music, but I do agree that "he's nowhere near growing up yet."

I forgot Elliot moved to Stardew Valley on purpose though. So really it's just Sebastian (out of all the bachelors) who wants to get out.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Doesn't grass die in winter? You have to feed them by putting hay in the hopper, though the upgraded buildings will do that automatically.

Otherwise, yes they do need access to a patch of grass, it's not enough to just let them out.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Yes, it is meant to be used in combination with this mod:
http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/639/

I have nearly finished my 3rd winter, and I am very ready for spring. I have been very busy I have spent every cent from the profit of the preserve/wine making operation on barn upgrades and Pigs! I am up to 39 pigs now. I moved the Pigs over to their own large area. I have sacrificed some crop space, but I do not need mega crops any more due to my other project Ancient Seeds!

My greenhouse is now 100% Ancient seeds and it is producing a surplus. I can not wait to plant these on the first day of spring, I am up to 160+ surplus ancient seeds :D. I likely won't start actually harvesting Ancient Fruits for profit until fall, until then I will turn the fruits around for more seeds! I have also been investing in Bee Hives, as these are basically eternal crops that I can plant on the grass.

How are you keeping all your pigs fed? 1 silo isn't enough for the whole winter.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The 8 spaces around the tree must be clear while it's growing, but once it's fully grown you can put anything you want right next to it.

As far as I know, plants in the greenhouse will keep growing forever.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I thought the kitchen only pulled from your inventory and the fridge?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Geoff Zahn posted:

Question - if I plant/water rhubarb on Spring 1, will it be ready for harvest the day of the egg festival? Curious if I can fit one harvest of rhubarb in before running strawberries. I know it says it takes 13 days to grow but I didn't know if that includes the day you plant them into account.

In at least one Harvest Moon game, you could successfully plant the next season's crops on the last day of the current season. (e.g. plant rhubarb on the last day of winter and it'll grow successfully.) This worked because the game checked for dead crops in the morning, but it changed the season first. Does this trick work in this game? It only buys you an extra day, and you would have to stockpile seeds all year, but it's still a small advantage.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Rutibex posted:

I could if I had Dwarf Scroll I :negative:

I had a lot of trouble finding a Dwarf Scroll I in my game, too. I suggest running through levels 1 - 20 of the mine and digging up every square of dirt you can.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
A bunch of my friends started playing this game for the first time, and I've started a new farm so I can play along with them. My last save was abandoned months ago, but I'm surprised by how much I remember.

I'm thinking of doing a full orchard farm. A small plot for cash crops and food, a barn and coop tucked away in a corner somewhere, and the rest devoted to fruit trees and fruit processing.

How viable is this? Or, will this be fun? I'm not min maxing, I'm more like roleplaying. Should I stick with one variety of fruit and spend all year turning one season's harvest into wine?

I just really like orchards. :shobon:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll go for it -- it will be a lot of work and will take years to really get the orchard going, but at least I'll have plenty to do. And it's easy enough to have a cash crop farm on the side, along with some ancient fruit wine in the greenhouse.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Poque posted:

Showbiz_Liz here did a really cool bed and breakfast thing.

There's more if you follow the link in the quote, I just cut it for the sake of space.

Oh wow, that's incredible!!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Thor-Stryker posted:

Also note that there is a rare bug where the game thinks you've collected the scroll already. You wont be able to complete the quest for the Dwarf unless you cheat it in, or restart.

I had it happen to me on my first playthrough, was lovely as hell.

You mean you won't get another scroll to drop, or you can't hand it in? I thought all the scrolls could drop multiple times -- scrolls 1 and 3 definitely can.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

I know that friendship level is supposed to stop decaying at 10 hearts, but does it do the same for bachelors/bachelorettes at 8 hearts after you're married? Or do I have to get enough friendship with them that I would be at 10 hearts even though I can't actually get the last two?

I'm asking because I was at 8 with Leah a little while back but now I'm at 7.

Yes, decay stops at 8 hearts for marriageable people. You can also just give them all bouquets and get them up to 10 hearts.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

And yet Leah's friendship decayed :thunk:

Either she wasn't at 8 hearts or the mechanic changed and the wiki hasn't been updated

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Coolguye posted:

yeah i was about to post that info mod but i saw that eonwe already beat me to it

definitely install that one. the controls being ballsack, well, there's not a shitload we can do about that, it's something we all sort of collectively overlook. there are always ways to erase your mistakes (the pick will untill land and destroy/remove most things) but in terms of never making mistakes in the first place, that's an ideal we're just not capable of right now.

Turning on that red indicator square solved 90% of my difficulties with the controls, personally. I don't think that's on by default.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Also, set up scarecrows if your crops are getting eaten. They only affect an 8-tile wide circle, so you'll definitely need more than one. The farm planner that someone linked earlier makes this much easier to visualize.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I thought fences would protect from wolf attacks, but according to the wiki they don't.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think there was also a bug where animals could get trapped outside, too.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
A Prismatic Shard dropped from a bug in on one of the early floors of the mine. :stare:
I've never gotten one before!! Now I've got to figure out what I'm going to do with it...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Is that the rainbow-colored gem? I have a couple, but I’m not sure if they’re the thing you’re talking about. I feel like the one I have has a different name. I had to take my first one to Gunther to get it identified.

After playing 130 hours in three weeks or whatever, I’ve kind of run out of steam. I’ve only played a few hours over the last few days. Without giving anything away, can anyone tell me if there is much more to see?

I have been to the desert. I have not figured out what to do with the weird lock thingy by the train.
I smashed one lock in the mine, but can’t replicate that feat on any other locks.
I have never been married.
I haven’t been past the barrier in the train tunnel.
I haven’t removed the glittering boulder.
I have not seen whatever the bouncer is protecting in the desert.

Are there significant pieces of gameplay hidden behind those things, or is it more of the same now that I have all the money I need?

Prismatic Shard is the square, rainbow colored gem. It sells for a few thousand and is very rare.

Sounds like you burned yourself out, congrats.

Have you completed the community center/joja corp? There's a bunch of stuff locked behind that. Nothing truly game changing, as far as I know, but that's because the core game is simple.

Getting married is cool but if you don't care about the townsfolk then don't bother I guess.
As far as I know you cannot go through either tunnel.
I have no idea what locks you're talking about.

The game becomes even less guided when you've gotten as far as you have. Now it's time to set your own goals. There's a lot you can do that some people will find engaging:
- complete the Adventurer's Guild requests
- become good friends with everyone in town
- complete the achievements, collection tab, catch every fish
- make your farm and house beautiful
- obtain all the special items, like the Obelisks
- see how deep you can go in the mines

Of course, you can always restart with a new idea for a farm. For example, I'm in year 2 of an Orchard run. I grow a handful of crops, but my main focus is planting an orchard and making wine. I'm also courting Elliot and trying to catch all the legendary fish.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The key to making friends with the townsfolk is giving them one of their favorite items on their birthday. There are certain items everyone loves, and a lot of items everyone likes. Give them something they love (or even just like) on their birthday and you'll get a huge boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

These sheds are made for keggin

I know deluxe barns are actually more space efficient than sheds, but I have standards! Barns are for animals and sheds are for kegs.

My orchard farm is coming along nicely, though I realized I need 189 kegs to process all the fruit into wine in a timely manner.