Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What is the best map? I'm regretting my choice of hill-top farm, as the mining nodes respawn far too slow to be of any real use, and the river and cliffs split up the terrain too much in my opinion. But I find the default map terribly boring. I'm considering restarting with the forest farm, or the beach farm, or maybe the wilderness farm. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

webmeister posted:

Visit Robin's shop, hit Construct Farm Building, then click the little paintbrush icon. You can only paint fully upgraded buildings (deluxe barn/coop, big shed), along with your house and the stable.
edit; misread

For content - I've been painting my buildings pale orange, with a slightly darker orange trim and a dark purple roof. Like here:

These screenshots are so cool for inspiration. I know this is "simply" goon created, but is there a site where I can look up other people's farms? I'm really struggling with the hillside farm, and thinking about jumping ship to another map.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
My first pond was super cucumbers, and I got at least 5 iridium bars worth of ore out of it before year 2 was over.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What about the new animals for your barn you can get on the island, better than pigs or cows?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wildtortilla posted:

I have two deluxe coops now. My original has 5 chickens, 3 ducks, and 3 rabbits. The new one is empty. I'm definitely not investing more in rabbits. Between those three and one sheep I am swimming in wool at the rate I use it.

I'm torn between more chickens and more ducks, and I'm leaning toward chickens for more daily eggs. Despite mayo selling for less than duck mayo, it sells for more than half the value of.duck mayo, meaning if I can sell two mayos for every one duck mayo, I'm going to earn more money. Is my early morning logic sound on this?

Ducks are better if you like less clicks. Only need to process half as many eggs as with chickens, and actually less when they drop duck feathers, which admittedly sell for less than the duck mayo (unless you're not artisan for some reason).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How do I take those cool screenshots of my farm?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Freaksaus posted:

All I need to finish my completion is a bunch of radioactive ores and bars for crafting and shipping, but I'm just not getting the drat quest that would let me mine for them. Come on Qi :(

Also, what ring setup is everyone using now that we can combine them? I am usually running with a Burglar/Iridum Band and Slime RIng/Iridium Band combo, but I might as wel make some others.

I think Burglar/Iridium is a staple, but some people really like the coffee drop ring, because a few trips to the mines will give you so much coffee that you will never have to produce it yourself, freeing up your greenhouse and co. for better money making plants.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think I broke my game. After using the rain totem once, it has rained for 6 of the last 7 days...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TurnipFritter posted:

I finally did it. I finally got the Gold Clock and achieved Perfection, and all it took was four ingame years, three keg sheds, and a separate farm map where I could grow Ancient Fruit year round.

This looks really nice, but I find it very helpful to have signs on your fish ponds which display the kind of fish it contains.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The worst part is that there's no skip button for when you have to sit through the dialogue while Lewis congratulates some dumb other people for finding more eggs/catching more fish.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I really appreciate that I'm not under any kind of pressure. I raced to get the greenhouse up before Winter 1, but after that, I'm just doing what I want without stressing out about missing something. That said, duel romance quests could work if the time limit was generous enough to make the world more lively, and the town evolving more would be quite nice.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cakesmith handyman posted:

It would be neat if you could choose to help couples get together, having things like talking Seb into leaving be a heart/conversation choice event would be another idea, not tied to time.

Yeah, these would be cool. It's already neat that you can build Pam a real house, more opportunities to improve villager's lives would be great. Like, you directly caused Shane's unemployment, why not construct him a chicken breeding farm he so clearly would enjoy?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 7, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, workers enjoying their free time instead of being always on call when the 1% need something done. This inconvenience to the rich is clearly intolerable!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TorakFade posted:

I've got this recently in the hopes of playing some co-op with my wife, being trying a practice run to familiarize with the game and hoo boy do I feel overwhelmed.

It's spring, day 20 of 1st year and I feel I'm barely keeping afloat. I planted the initial free parsnips + a bunch of potatoes I bought with my starting money for quick cash, but it seems all the money from new harvests goes entirely into new seeds to plant; after that first harvest I went with potatoes and cauliflowers and I just got my second potato harvest, which I promptly sold to buy the backpack because I was utterly tired of going back to the nearest chest to drop off stuff. I have like 15 cauliflowers maturing now, they'll be ready a couple days before the end of the season, and the third potato harvest is almost there so finally I'll have some more money ... which I guess I should save in order to buy seeds for summer :v: every possible upgrade to my farm or extra buildings like the coop seem to be way out of my league for now.

I went to the mines, powered through until level 35, stocked up on copper and a bit of iron and built myself a furnace... now I have enough copper to upgrade a couple more tools (already did the axe) and 2 iron bars. I just unlocked sprinklers, is it worth blowing my early iron on them? With just 4 tiles watered they seem something for later when I'll have spare iron bars honestly, I can't make them in bulk yet and the "time savings" of not watering 8 tiles seem negligible at best.

I'm terrible at fishing and that might partially account for my financial problems, I caught maybe 3 fishes in 2 whole days spent fishing. I hope it gets better when I skill up because otherwise I'm going to abandon it completely.

Any early game tips? What tools should I upgrade first, and what should I be focusing on next? I know I can just keep on playing the easy and relaxed way and there's no time limits to speak of, but I'd like to manage to at least build a chicken coop before year 2 drat it, and possibly be able to feed them with homegrown hay or I'll be poor again in no time

One thing that really helped me with fishing was using the training rod. The more you level up your fishing skill, the bigger the green "catch" zone will be, making it easier to not let fish get away. The training rod treats your fishing skill as level 5 at all times, with the trade off that you can only catch the most basic fish. But it still helps leveling up the skill, and you will get a feel for the behavior of the individual fish, making it easier to catch them, or even get a perfect catch (the fish icon never leaves the green zone, which yields 2.5 times the fishing experience and one quality level up for the fish).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ILL Machina posted:

"Copy img url" with the i prefix to get an embed

The gently caress that's dark

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

She can't pick them up because her elbow is so sore!

I don't think rubbing a coconut on your sore elbow will make things better!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Breath of Fire 3 had the best fishing mini-game of all time, but Stardew Valley's is also really good.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hellioning posted:

I like how the chocolate shop is in the middle of town. Makes you less isolated from the people.

I thought that one part in the trailer where the NPC asks "how is it living in a big town" was a deliberate contrast to the rural SDV environment. And since I'm a big city kid myself, I really appreciate this.

I'm quite excited for the game, I wonder when it will be released. Second half of the next year probably?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
But can I still be gay in My Time at Portia?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I want to play this game so bad, I will accept this as a huge Christmas surprise, CA!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mazz posted:

Here’s hoping this is everything graveyard keeper wasnt

What's wrong with Graveyard Keeper?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's definitely a big shift in focus, away from farming, which seems to be missing entirely as far as I can tell, towards crafting in this big city setting. And combat apparently will be (one of?) the main way(s) to gather ingredients. It's very obviously not Stardew Valley 2, but that's not a bad thing imho.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

So, all my previous experience with the game was when I was living with my folks and sharing a steam account with my sister. I finally picked this up for myself as a Christmas gift. I don't think I've seen any of Emily's events after she was made a romance option.

The woman touched by prophecy dreams of the new farmer and events to come. A woman with an insatiable appetite for salmonberries who lives in the only farm in town. Rainbows burn through the heavens, foretelling the coming of The Gay.

This is very Stardew :gaysper:

Do we have any hints of other characters that you can interact with in Haunted Chocolatier?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

The octopi in my fish pond are now issuing demands.

Better fulfill them, who knows what the octopi will do if you don't comply...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Silver Falcon posted:

(Being gay is not an option in that game, unlike RF5.)

Alright, I just lost all interest in the game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Are there any real news apart from that one twitter post by Tynan?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I do like the idea of a Rimworld/Stardew Valley crossover.

And yeah, sorry to Eric the Mauve, I confused CA and Tynan there :negative:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

webmeister posted:

Didn't see this posted, but there's a few new screenshots of Haunted Chocolatier:

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1709377096802566338

Whole lotta recycled Stardew assets in there

That's true. The bushes stand out a lot. But these might very well be placeholder assets. And even if not, some asset reuse should be expected. It doesn't really bother me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

hopeandjoy posted:

Bad news about the contents of SV’s your favorite game's Nexus page my dude.

Fake edit: This game has a player avatar and several characters your avatar can date, there was basically no chance for it not to get creepy mods after it became successful.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Do we know what the new farm type will be?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Great change already, I'm excited for both the new stuff the patch brings, as well as the QoL changes we will get.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm extremely excited for a new farm, the beach farm was such a breath of fresh air.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
nooooo I like our current title :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can you grow your own blue grass?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I was too poor to buy any of the books the bookseller offers, but are like the movement speed increases permanent?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Smoking fish takes coal which you might not have a lot of early game. But it's still very good, yes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Am I crazy, or does the game no longer penalize you for going to sleep after midnight? I'm playing unmodded, and I seem to recall that you used to wake up with less energy if you went to bed after midnight. But even when I'm going to bed really late, I always start with full energy the next day.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leal posted:

Ready for the new year :toot:

Looks great! I'm just surprised you have any green grass left, I've eradicated it on my farm and now I have as much grass as you, but all blue. Which not only gives more hearts when animals eat them, it also has a higher chance to yield hay.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm playing co-op with my wife and she's playing for the first time. She picked the beach farm, which is fine, but man oh man, I wanted meadowlands. I have that in my new single player restart, but I wanted it there, too. Ah well.

There are blue grass starting packs, but according to the wiki they're hidden behind some Qi shenanigans, which is a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The decision is permanent, right? I went for mushrooms, but I came to the realization that fruit bats are better, too.