Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing this game for several years and couldn't see the point of making clothes because (afaik) you can't sell them and you'd need a million chests to store them if you made them all. Just discovered this week that you can actually put your clothes, shoes and rings into a dresser. Um. Well, hell.

Anyway. I'm not seeing anything on Nexus to simply recolor the silo. There are mods to change the building to a stack of bales or a big metal monstrosity, but is there a mod anywhere to just recolor the vanilla silo? It's great that you can recolor your house and buildings, but it sucks that you've still got bright red silos stuck around the place and can't do anything with them. I'd even settle for a single recolor that made them grey brick and grey roof, they'd stick out less. (I just hope there isn't already a way to do in game that I've been oblivious to, like the dressers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Hey, thread, I just got the greenhouse on Winter 1, Year 1! First time I've gotten it in Year 1. This is so cool, I've already got 7 ancient fruit planted, an apricot and an apple sapling, what should I plant for profit until my ancient fruit empire expands?

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I was going to have a coffee bush or two, but didn't think of peppers, will have to include. i want to keep a 2x2, maybe 2x3, patch for growing blue jazz, as I have a sea cucumber to start a lucky lunch fish pond. Probably going to put in the cranberries, less hassle than starfruit. And tea plants in pots around the edges just for looks.

edit: I could alao just grow the blue jazz in planters, duh.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

The scramble for Year 1 Greenhouse is really what Stardew is all about imo.

Yeah, I'm very chuffed that first winter isn't going to be that awful slog of trying to get good profits out of fishing, mining and winter seeds, while trying not to lose momentum in the frozen doldrums. You can keep feeding the kegs and jars all winter but it's not very interesting.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

If 1.6 doesn't come before December 6th, I kinda hope it comes after Christmas, because the new DSP content patch is dropping next Wednesday

Right after Christmas would be perfect, I've got a week and half vacation scheduled.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I bought it on PC and XBox, plus a copy for my sister who gave up very early when she couldn't figure out you need to go to bed.

Hoping for a desert farm, with very little water cluttering up the place. I never did like that lake in the middle of the basic farm.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Solumin posted:

I'm definitely starting a new one, because I haven't played in years and this is the kind of game that I can't pick back up if I lose my place, so to speak.

I really want to go all-in on jams and jellies and wines. Grow a few patches of fruits, and have a big orchard take up the rest of the farm. Maybe not even have any animals, tho that will make the community center harder.

Randomize community center bundles and put in the right random seed and you won't get the animal products bundle in the CC. I've got a couple of numbers, if you want.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Stardew Valley: Legalized Gayo and Also Plants

Solumin posted:

Actually yeah, that would be great! I was worried I'd have to rely on the traveling cart. Thanks!

Cool! I actually have three, now I look at my note. These will give you no animal products bundle, but remember to randomize CC bundles, too.

Filox fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 18, 2024

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Unclouded posted:

FYI if you go beach the supply crates give better drops the more upgrades your house has (it caps before the cellar).

I did not know this, I may have to give the beach another shot. I mean, after I've played the new farm for awhile.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Wake up, Ape, I need to download this :f5: before I have to go to work :ohdear:

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
At this point, I'd settle for the full patch notes. Gotta go to work, it'd give me something to read while goofing off.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
New crops!!!

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Radia posted:

yeah if anyone has recs for stardew mod managers i'd love 'em. soundslike there's stardrop and..?

Mod organizer 2 works fine for Stardew.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Holy Yoba. Left for work when the update wasn't out yet, just got home and 1.6.1 is already up on Steam. Concerned Ape is the Champiiion of devs.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Carrots should be worth more than parsnips. Parsnips are stinky nasty roots. Carrots actually taste good.

I don'tthink I'll ever play Meadowlands again. I hate starting without the gift seeds and I don't like being saddled with animals first year.

The chickens are Goldie and Cocoa.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Dress pants. lol

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
On Spring 17, I found a rainbow and a pot of gold by the new waterfall near Hat Mouse house, got 200g. Edit: oh poo poo I also got a leprechaun hat from it.

Neat.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Garden pot won’t show up from Evelyn till you unlock the greenhouse. Always plant an early ancient seed unless your in fall, it won’t grow in time.

Even when you have garden pots, you can't plant ancient seeds in them. "Her roots grow too deep, she wouldn't be happy in that."

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I've got my few function mods back, but I'm uncertain about all those Elle's Animals packs I like. None of them have been updated yet, so I guess I'm stuck with vanilla horse and ugly hogs.

I married in one save, chose Elliot, never did the kids thing. I'm thinking about doing it again, will probably be Elliot or Leah. They both have a grip on where they are and what they want, and go ahead and do it. The rest of them just seem like kids, or are Shane.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Let me date Gus

Gus is cool. Or Gil. If I'm going to gay marry, it might as well be the guy with the rocking chair based lifestyle I admire.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

Elle's packs are updated! Or rereleased perhaps. I'm using them!

Are you using the "Cuter" packs? I'm hoping for the ones offered for Alternate Textures will get updated, as I like them better.

This bunch,
https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/3168
https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/10039

I restarted on the standard farm and as I do in first spring, I cut all the grass to let the weeds and trees proliferate, so I can start my fiber stockpile and live on field snacks from all the dropped tree seeds. Then I just got to my first green rain. My whole farm turned into a moss heap. I got 399 moss, six of those weird green seeds and 23 of the mixed flower seeds. And four or five hundred fiber.

That was after redoing to day, because I got all caught up in moss gathering and missed checking what the villagers were up to at the saloon, so I had to do over, lol.

Filox fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 23, 2024

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Don't miss the trout derby, it's fun and I did all right with just the bamboo rod.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress me. Raisins. I don't care if it's profitable, I'm going to grow grapes every year now.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Radiation Cow posted:

Randomly generated. I got eggplants, and went lol no

I think I'd be thrilled to get eggplants. The seeds are cheap, mature in five days without fertilizer, and they're repeaters. Plant fifty of the cheap little suckers with speed grow or deluxe speed grow, you're done in less than ten days.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This is going to be such a cool thing to forget to do in 3 seasons

Write it on the back of your hand. Or just try to remember you have to go pick all the salmon berries for some reason; that's how I found it.

Loving the new deal in the quarry. There are boulders with black spots that give coal. And the next day, I found one of the swirly blue boulders there that gave me a prismatic shard.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I’m darting between this and a replay of psychonauts & psychonauts 2 right now and I have a full time job. This solution might require me to have Stardew St Patrick’s Day Spring 17 on my hand for a full month

So get it tattooed, that way it won't wash off.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
These mystery boxes sure are something. I just took 13 boxes to Clint and among other things, got a pearl and a golden pumpkin. Then I walked out, hit up Clint's trashcan and got the Trash Catalogue. Which is not related to the boxes, but was still cool.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I only have the dresser in my single player meadowland farm; my wife's beach farm didn't come with one. Is it supposed to?

The new Meadowlands farm is the only one that comes with a dresser, on the others you'll have to buy one.

To get leeks for Evelyn, plant wild seeds and cross your fingers.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Why does a bear want maple syrup and not honey? This counters everything I know about bears

Maybe it learned the joys of maple syrup from eating trash pancakes.

The desert festival is great, but there's so much to do in a day, it feels like you have to set your rear end on fire to get it all in. The chef is hilarious and a little creepy (let me cook for you so I don't have to kill you vibes), Emily's booth is fun and the only question I got wrong was how many steps. But gently caress scorpion carp.

Can you get the green rain only once per summer, or is there a chance for more?

Has anyone told Concerned Ape that it's a bad idea to smoke food with coal? Video game logic, yeah yeah, but I've burned coal for heating. It's nothing like charcoal, and the idea of smoking food with it is gross and wrong. Sure, there were coal stoves, but the coal was in the firebox, the smoke went up the chimney and only the heat came in contact with food/cooking pans, not the smoke. Either there's some hosed up anatomy in Stardew world that lets people digest coal smoked fish, or coal must be an entirely different thing than in reality. Or CA has never smelled coal smoke in his life.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm sure its just a game mechanic taking priority over realism. There needed to be a cost associated with smoking fish so it costs one coal, that's the only thing that made sense.

I'm sure that coal smoked fish is pretty gross, but considering these fish have been sitting in a chest in my living room past year, along with some bug meat, 3 pairs of shoes, a spring onion, and like a bunch of wallpaper, does it really matter?

Yes, of course it's for game function, but it still sounds horrible, even worse than old onions and bug meat. Probably because I have personal experience with coal smoke.

Son of Rodney posted:

I think I've been playing too much stardew the last few days I woke up dreaming of an ingame painting featuring three fish called 'menage á trout' ...

If your dream painting were in the game, I'd buy it just for the name.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone gotten more than one green rain in a summer?

Though I suspect it's a once-per-year thing.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Grundulum posted:

It bothers me more than it should that the dehydrator requires just over one day to complete its thing, so I can’t check at the same time each day. But checking every other day dramatically slashes how frequently I get dried fruit out of it. Darn it, ConcernedApe, make the duration 1590 minutes, not 1750!

You can move the dehydrator. You can slap it down right next to your bed, along with five others, so you'll see them twice every day.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have a Raccoon hat. I feel like I just won the game.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I got to the year two spirit eve, very cool and fun with the new design. It was nice to see George and Evelyn there, too. Was disappointed I still couldn't pester the Wizard on spirit's eve.

I've started picking up trinkets in the mines. I was on the lower levels, hunting slimes to get the last 130 or so for the ring when the quiver dropped. It was hilarious, I was just walking around while my invisible bow killed everything with death ray arrows. Try it between levels 1 and 20, no effort slime slaughter, lol

I just picked up a frog trinket? Had to go home, as it was almost 2 am, but I can't wait to try it later.

A pet is worth 12 points, watering is worth 6. If you pet and water your cat/dog every day, you can get to full hearts roughly 1.5 times faster, depending on how little it rains (when rain fills the bowl, it probably doesn't count for points.)

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

My dog gave me a stick last night and I thought I must have imagined it, but as a max-heart thing that's frickin adorable. I petted him and he gave me a driftwood :3:

My cat gives me fish most days. It's no wonder I can't catch anything but trash in the farm ponds, puss has been busy de-stocking.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else met Fizz yet?

I loaded up my old year seven save, the first farm I ever started, where i hadn't gotten perfection. I soon got a shady offer from Mr.Fizz from Joja Special Services. I'm wondering if it's legit or a trap. But that's all new.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TurnipFritter posted:

It's legit. I mean technically you are obtaining a forged document but there's no penalty or trick or hidden drawback.

Thanks. Though I'll skip it, I think. But it'd be funny if Qi busted you for fraud.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Gave me a start and a good laugh when I came out the door.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Is it bad if I'm on year four and I've never seen Sam's winter outfit until now because I never talk to him? Because honestly I just never talk to him, lol.

You didn't miss anything, because the villagers didn't have winter outfits until 1.6 came out a couple weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Farm planning is my weakness. I'm waiting for winter in my old year eight farm, when I can tear up the sprinkler array and move everything, trying to make the farm look nice and be efficient. I'm glad it's the four corners farm, because there's a place where you can put the house up against a straight cliff, so there's no lost space behind it. Greenhouse will probably go in the original house location.

Fish farm is in the lower left quadrant, along with one of each fruit tree; that'll all stay there. I'm thinking of putting the barn and coops in the upper right quarter, where grandpa's altar is, and putting the sheds and tapper orchard in the lower right.

The mill goes in the middle, with some crops in front of it. Don't know where the put the obelisks and the huge gaudy golden clock. Maybe I can hide it behind the silos.

I dunno. It'll probably still look slapped together.