Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I've only recently picked up this game. I'm more than halfway done with Spring so far, and I've been accumulating funds and not really worrying about anything fancy right now. The game can only barely run on my bad computer, and I even had to use workarounds to get it to run at all due to the nature of the built-in graphics card. But issues aside, I'm glad I went through the trouble of getting it. Hopefully it comes out on Mac soon so I can play it on my good computer instead.

Everyone talking about their end-game setups is a little intimidating. I'm just taking things slowly. But I'm also being efficient. I got hella Salmonberries and I'm using them to work through the whole day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yaws posted:

Fun game but I keep getting exhausted early in the day. Can you just rest and keep working somehow? Or does your stamina increase after awhile?

There are things you can do without spending energy. Looking for foraged goods in the wilderness, for example, or using your scythe to cut any kind of grass. Or just exploring the town, talking to people, giving them gifts... The only way to get back your energy in the early part is to eat something, and there isn't too much available.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

...oh, THAT'S how you get Refined Quartz...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Coming up on my first Fall. What should I do? Just keep my Corn going and plant hella Pumpkins too?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Well I guess these 150 hops I made on your guys's suggestion are gonna sit still for a while. I have so little in the way of non-Pine trees in my farm it's ludicrous. Got at least triple the pine cones in my storage compared to the other things too. Oh well, crops themselves are still pretty good in Fall huh?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I currently have 45+ corn, 16 eggplants, 16 pumpkins, like 30+ cranberries, and mixed and wild seeds in the corners. About half of it is what I have to water. I use weak sprinklers for the wild seeds, quality for the normal plants. I might make more sprinklers later, but right now I feel like just stockpiling the Gold and Iron bars I get. I have an Iron Axe and Pickaxe, and an upgraded house, but no farm buildings except a trio of Silos. Probably going to be setting up animals throughout the season and seeing what happens. Only did one week so far.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

A Spider Covets posted:

Yea you can. Before I set up my orchard I used the trees down by the ranch, all three kinds can be found on that part of the map.

Maybe I'll do that. I usually just felled them since they get replanted immediately without my input.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I got over 400 blackberries while they were growing on bushes in the Fall. Am I doing it right?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I got a 97 in the fair and it was my first year. I think using the pink cake my Mom sent me helped. Surely nobody knows I didn't make it myself...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Jintor posted:

thanks

i've been searching for the basket for so long. it's winter. linus never got to collect his blackberries

I only ever found it because I noticed there were blackberries growing in the bushes in that area when I saw it from the path north of your farm, so I went to collect them and then whoops, basket get.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

RatHat posted:

I guess purple mushrooms are the bottleneck for making life potions huh? They're really rare in the mushroom cave too.

I have a lot of purple mushrooms, but only 2 Morels. There's probably a stupidly easy way to get them that I don't know about.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

RatHat posted:

Whoever put on the wiki that Sea/Super Cucumbers are catchable during Winter is full of poo poo.

I got a few Sea Cucumbers in the last few days of Winter just today. :shrug:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

My stack of 350+ Blackberries is just food I eat for energy and occasional gifts to people that appreciate them, like Elliot. I couldn't imagine using them for cash money.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

I keep hearing people talk about as if Year 3 was the last year, so I was worried.

But holy poo poo, I filled a field with potatoes, and the day they would mature, it turned into summer and now I have no money. And forage in summer seems way rarer, I was finding lots of leeks, horseradish and salmonberries during spring, but I've found one berry so far. The area just south of your farm is the forage area right?

Looking at the current seeds available, I assume blueberries are the best to go with?

Oh what level of tool do you need to deal with the large rocks and stumps? I was hoping copper would be enough, but nope. Though I think copper means I spend less energy doing tasks.

Copper Axe is good for stumps, but you need Iron for logs. Copper Pick is only good for big rocks in the mines, the big rocks on your farm need Iron. If a meteor ever falls on the farm, you need a Gold Pickaxe to break it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

Insect Head Sword is just op for the part of the mines I was at. I was able to blaze down the level 4 in 2 days.

Where is linus's basket? Everything i can find says its on the road near the bus.

For the fall festival, do I want to take gold star crops, or should i take finished goods? I haven't gotten any that had a star by them so far.

Follow the path to the left of the bus. I know, but yeah.

Fall festival takes into account value of items, quality of items, and variety of items. Make sure to put a good bit of things there.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are strawberries worse than potatoes? I realize you don't get proper access to them in Spring 1, but long-term I would imagine they're an upgrade.

Strawberries are hella good. Probably on par with potatoes, only better due to multiple harvests. They very occasionally give you two per bush. Can't take advantage of them unless you have a greenhouse or bought them in advance for next Spring, though.

In terms of hours spent, I'm approaching 50. I bought it a few weeks ago and play for 4 days to a week in-game each time I do. I skip out on playing it on busy days, but I usually get to it at least 5 times a week. Still fun. Need to at least get to the grading thing before I can consider stopping, but I'd like to get a 100% collection before I do. I realize fishing is a pain in the butt though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

Weird, its been a full week and only my pine trees have produced anything in that time.

That's because it takes a week or so for Oaks and Maples to produce. Pine trees go much faster, like three days.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Also, quick question. What's my best first use of Iridium? The Pickaxe or the Iridium Band for combat purposes?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Re: skills, I have every skill at 10 besides Fishing, which is at 5. I'm gonna set up more Crab Pots soon, since I picked that having almost completely neglected normal fishing for the longest time. Oh well.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Then... fix the bus. If you don't know how, it's the Vault Bundle.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Iridium Band + Burglar Ring in the Skull Cavern got me plenty of Iridium from slimes alone earlier, by the way. Now I can have the pickaxe, too. I feel like it's more fun to challenge myself to climb down floors rather than crafting oodles of staircases, but that's just me.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I like Maru because she feels guilty regarding her hobby and her family, which is so me.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

Has anyone beaten her? everyone I know who plays says she always wins the egg hunt, even if the player follows her around and ninja's the eggs before she can get them. I think she's laying them.

I've beaten Abigail both times I've participated. Following the characters is not the way to go, just get as many eggs as possible. If you win you get a Straw Hat, or 1000g if you already have it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

techknight posted:

Hrm, I wonder what the effect was then.. Maybe it was supposed to produce a giant crop but because it was a group of hops nothing happened?

The fairy will immediately make any crops you have that aren't ready to produce ready to produce. I had one stop by on the first night after I had planted some spring Strawberries and that made up for the whole thing with getting Strawberries late.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I tend to prefer sheep because I don't have to attempt to cut them to know that they are/aren't ready to be cut up. Plus if I can just consolidate everything into wool then I can make a crapton of cloth.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I never even noticed that falling through a shaft hurts you.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Finally started Second Year Fall. I have a good chunk of money. Planting a wide variety of things to fill out my collection. I've also been putting all the Common Mushrooms from the cave to use and started out with tons of Wild Fall Seeds that I'm breaking in my few Iridium Sprinklers with. Stuff's going smoothly. Also trying to find the perfect time to propose to Maru, hmm...

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I just want to set personal bests for no-staircase runs. (I also want a Prismatic Shard.)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Kill mummies with a burglar ring.

I'm trying :(

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Wait wait wait...I just googled this, this changes? All of mine say that my mind is filled with thoughts of nudity

It depends on what you put as your "favorite thing" at the beginning, if you're being serious.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The witch finally visited me. I've only had one coop for a while so I guess the chances weren't that high, but at least I won't be screwed out of having the Void Egg in my Collection. And I can make Krobus love me.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Finally got a Prismatic Shard, and thus Galaxy Sword! That's one of the "bucket list" things I wanted to do with the game before I put it down for a while, intentionally this time.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

dovetaile posted:

I just foraged 320 salmonberries for no real reason. (Foraging is the best. I don't know why Linus is always complaining.) And then my husband brought me an obsidian he found while 'walking' in the caves. Sebastian :3:

I like the cobblestone paths but they look their best in winter.

I have just under 700 Blackberries. I love these things.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

limp_cheese posted:

That's what I thought too until I started growing wild winter crops on my farm. It turned out to be one of my most profitable seasons.

My final wild yield on Winter Year 2 got me almost 50,000 from all the winter crops. That's after converting absolutely none of them to seeds because why bother. (And saving Crocuses for gifts.)

I'm almost at the end of Year 2. I really want to stop playing this game once I get graded so I can focus on a few other things. I've worked so hard... let me live for a while.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

No, sir.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Well, I got a perfect rating from Grandpa! I guess that's that. I was totally expecting to not do perfectly.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

You could break down the community center at any time before it's complete, right? Once you have an absurd amount of money, couldn't you just pay the 5000 to get the warehouse, complete what you need to complete, get the achievement, and then quit your game without saving?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Ignimbrite posted:

Maru's a good wife. She still does her own things and occasionally gives me free bombs :3:

My Maru's holding out.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Is there anyone here that was using Wine to run Stardew Valley on their Mac, and have now switched over to running it through Steam normally since the Mac port was put up? My save game doesn't seem to be there and I'm wondering how I can recover it.

EDIT: Resolved the issue, though I did lose a bit of progress: from Spring 2 Year 3 to Winter 8 Year 2. Nothing I can't do again though. Much better than losing eeeeeverything. For those of you coming back to it, make sure you look at your SV Wineskin and find the save file before installing Stardew Valley, or you might lose everything.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Can someone give me a quick run-down on any new things I can do in v1.1 without having completed the Community Center yet? Fish are annoying but I'm about to be in Spring Year 3 again, so I can try more.