Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'll have to keep an eye on this one. I hope it does things differently from Harvest Moon. While it's a great series, HM has these weird things that it always holds on to that holds it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

elzie posted:

Stardew Valley has officially been Greenlit! It was chosen in the latest batch of six.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/announcements/detail/1569781302750532884

I did a little fistpump when I first read the news. I was gonna buy the game regardless, but now this is going to make it a lot more convenient for me. Beyond that, this is going to allow the game to be so much more successful for the developer.

Funso Banjo posted:

Does steam really add that much to a game that you would pass over a game like this (only serious Harvest Moon type game on our platform) if it didn't have Steam support? I do find the attitude that Steam is a requirement for a game to be good an odd one, and I struggle to understand it. Especially for these super-indie, one/two man developers, who need our support, and they need it even more if they were unlucky enough not to get greenlit.

Steam has become the digital gaming store for PC. This appears to be even more true for indie titles, as discovered by this expose from Joystiq.

quote:

To Incredipede developer Colin Northway, any platform's success lay in its content discovery capabilities, and this was why Steam held the No. 1 spot.

"Why do people want to be on Steam?" He asks, unprompted. "Not because their distribution tools are great – although they are – it's because so many players use Steam as a content discovery platform. What game am I going to buy today? Let's check the Steam sales."

For me, 98% of my PC game collection is now on Steam. I'll consider rebuying a game (when it is on sale) on Steam so I can have that convenience. It's the ease of having everything in one place, the speed in which I can redownload games, and the awesome sales. I also love Humble Bundle, and a big reason for that is that I get Steam codes whenever possible!

Revol fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 17, 2013

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
You know what would be really awesome for this game? Make it moddable, with player-made NPCs. Then you could create your own dateable NPCs, with full scripted cutscenes. Sure, you'd have really weird crap like Ponies, but good could come of it as well.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

LordSloth posted:

With all this talk of strange mods, all I can imagine is Harvest Cthulhu, but more likely is Twilight Factory, or 50 shades of Crossing.

There is a sick part of me that wants to add the Twilight characters to the game. I think it would be pretty fun trying to date Bella and putting up with her poo poo.

(Shut up my mom is a big Twilight fan so I have absorbed a lot of it through her)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

drunken officeparty posted:

He said on the stream that it would be out "this year" but who knows v:shobon:v

He's been saying this for a few months I believe.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Jesto posted:

Would be really, really nice if the game isn't given to a bunch of Twitch streamers before release, but that seems standard these days. :sigh:

We just won't watch the streamers, then. But getting this in the hands of the streamers will help the game sell, so I think it'd be a good thing.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Met posted:

I think A Wonderful Life on the Gamecube was the last one to go that route. I kind of liked it actually. After the first year it skipped a year or so of time and advanced storylines. A couple years later it might've done another time skip.

The last Rune Factory kinda does this. It had several time skips. I believe when you get married, you skipped a year. And then when you have a kid, you skip several so that it goes straight to early childhood. The game I just recently played, I was on my second Fall season, but it was year 7.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Yar The Pirate posted:

I'm so desperate for a Harvest Moon game I'll play almost anything. Haven't tried Rune Factory so I guess that's an alternative

Uh, dude. There is your answer.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Gamerofthegame posted:

Wow, Stardew dev loving hosed up big time on the release date.

That's when the next Fire Emblem comes out in the US, complete with it's two expansion packs and total 70-80~ price. Yeah, the vocal fanbases for harvest moon and fire emblem totally don't match up closely, no sir.

Still, it's coming out!

What would this matter? These two games are in my top five of most anticipated releases for the year. I was going to buy them both. I'd buy them both months apart, or a week apart, or in this case, at the same time. Money is not a concern, was already planning on these purchases. Plus, I'm pleasantly surprised that CA is looking at a $10-15 dollar price point. This game seems like it could easily command $20.

Has there been any word on modding capability? While watching the trailer, the question of how far the game could be modified crossed my mind.Hopefully it is like Starbound. The thing that triggered it for me was seeing animal interaction. I was thinking about with Harvest Moon games, not only do you need to "talk" to your animals to get that heart response, but you also have your other actions like harvest or brushing. But isn't that redundant? I was wondering if CA will have it so that other actions used on animals will also count as towards accomplishing the basic "talk" as well... and if not, if that could be easily modded in.

edit: Reading his recent history on Reddit, I see this has already been answered.

quote:

The game is somewhat moddable right out of the box, but there's definitely some more I could do to make it mod-friendly. It's something I'm interested in doing, but also not a top priority for the launch. I'm also supportive of modding and will do whatever I can to help. I'm actually very interested to play any mods that people make. I've been playing Stardew Valley for years, so I'm really looking forward to being surprised with some new content!

Revol fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 30, 2016

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Babe Magnet posted:

How "Animal Crossing" is this game? I saw interior decorating but a lot of games have that. Is there a heavy focus on interacting with and building friendships with an ever-changing roster of villagers with different personalities that will sometimes give you small errands or host parties and poo poo?

I just really want to play more animal crossing, the harvest moon stuff is nice too I guess

From what Concerned Ape said on Reddit recently:

"Trailer was a bit unclear. I see that you can place furniture in your house, but do you also make the floor plan, manually building rooms, or is the layout and expansion of your house predetermined?"

"It's predetermined, but you can purchase house upgrades from the local carpenter. There's also wallpapers and flooring options in addition to furniture."

I guess it all comes down to how many options you've given there. But I'd think that this would be something that is modable from launch, given that he's said that you can already add things like events. I'd think adding new items would be just as possible.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
ConcernedApe has also said that he doesn't want people preordering his game.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Cicadas! posted:

This is smart, considering what happened to Starbound.

Erm, it's kinda the same? When we talk pre-order, we're talking about paying money for something before you receive anything. You know, like how you pre-order a AAA game and wait for it to unlock on release day.

But like Starbound, Stardew Valley will be released incomplete. Not quite the same, as SV is essentially finished as a single player game, but the promised multiplayer capability will be completed later.

CA doesn't want you to pay for Stardew Valley until he is able to give you something to play in return. At the same time, he didn't want to release an incomplete early access. I really like what he's going with now, though. He's got SP finished, and honestly, that was all I planned to use this game for.

Supernorn posted:

Come on guys, I'm right here and everything.

:negative:

For what it's worth, I've put 192 hours into your game, and I'm playing it now while I wait for games to come out starting next week. While progress has been slower than I would like, they're getting everything right; Starbound has been improved from when I last played it last year, and the previews being posted on the website in the last few weeks look fantastic. I in no way regret my purchase, and would plan to support the developers again for their next game, if it is something that interests me.

I totally agree, don't need to drag SB into this thread, but it was brought up, and I wanted to vent, but I sure as hell don't want to do it in its own thread. Moving on now. So super pumped for Stardew Valley, as well as the future of Starbound!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I was happy to see that SDV was the top selling game on Steam today. I've always been sure that this game would be a hit, but then I was afraid that SUPERHOT might steal some thunder. (It is the most innovative shooter I've played in years.) I'm thinking that it's high price is slowing it down, though. Its campaign is only a few hours long. But Stardew is going to get a lot more mileage out of its $15 price.

JerikTelorian posted:

What should I be doing outside of farming? Foraging seems like it can be a good way to get stuff, but I don't really see a lot out there to forage -- a few spring onions in that area south of the farm, but most of the terrain is just trees and bushes. If I chop down these random trees and bushes, will people get pissed with me? Will it all regrow? Can I dig around out there or is that going to ruin the landscape?

I'm not too sure how far foraging works, I would like an answer on that too. But as far as what else to do...

* Socialize - Don't be a hermit. If you don't have a social life, you're not going to get far in this game, probably even more so that Harvest Moon.

* Mining - It unlocks early in the game, and you need to mine to be able to upgrade your tools and so on.

* Fishing - Can be used to supplement your income, probably more so than foraging.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shirec posted:

I'm super bad at fishing. Like 50% success rate. Is anyone else using a mouse and keyboard having problems or do I just need to get good?

I use keyboard/mouse, and I fail maybe one out of five times. I think it hits the mark of being difficult, but not too difficult. Usually fishing minigames are stupid easy, or stupid impossible. That said, I've only done basic fishing with the beginner pole and nothing else.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

gently caress I hate fatigue systems in video games.

I get what you're saying, many games have overly harsh fatigue systems. But without it, a game like this becomes broken. After playing four days, so far it feels right. Like Joestar says, you're really only supposed to clear out the area you need, or to gather the wood/stone/etc you need. It is something to be whittled away day by day.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Why would you ever not choose the cat

Is there a way to choose what color cat because I have a black cat in real life so that is the color I want And because somebody asked earlier I will be naming my cat Kitty because my cat in real life is named Kitty because she's my first cat and I have no experience in naming cats

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Lord Lambeth posted:

Goddamn the pixel graphics in this game are fantastic.

It's good. Wouldn't say fantastic. Maybe fantastic for a guy whose skill isn't in pixel graphics.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Manyorcas posted:

I'll eat my firstborn chick if those statues around town and the wilderness don't end up teleporting you around when you progress in the story enough.

That's what I assume they are for, too, though I am not sure why they all have different color gems.

Eryxias posted:

So I'm on day 21, but the wiki says you get the pet at day 12?
do I need to do something specific to start that process or what's up?

I got my cat on the 11th day. I got her the morning after the explosion while I was sleeping.

Arcland posted:

I'm enjoying the game but I think I might wait a couple days or a week in the hopes of the movement speed being increased a bit. It's really a turnoff.

Don't hold your breath. I can't find it, but I think I remember reading something about how ConcernedApe put a lot of time into balancing how fast time flows in the game, and how it corresponds to run speed. I forget how it all came together, but I just have this idea that this isn't something that he's going to really evolve on.

I don't think it's that bad. I'd like it to be a little faster, but I'd fear that if he bends on this, he'd take it too far.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

hopeandjoy posted:

When is Marnie actually open because I'm in her shop during opening hours and she's just standing around in her bedroom, not letting me buy chickens.

I imagine there is a sign outside her door, maybe you came during her day off?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Is it worth using the first sprinkler? You either do the super-ugly tesseract, or just do lines. Either way, I'm only getting four crops with each sprinkler. That doesn't seem worthwhile at this point of the game, compared to what it costs. Seems like my iron could be better spent elsewhere. Now, the second sprinkler, that is something I can see myself using.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Just got back from the store to get the new seeds for the first day of Summer. I think I'll try to use five sprinklers to at least alleviate the time and energy all of this will take.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Zoe posted:

So has anyone been heartless enough to get the community center sold to Joja mart yet? How far does that plotline go?

The game's "campaign" storyline has two paths: you can support the community center, or you can support the Joja Corporation. I'm going with the former, but I imagine you are doing essentially the same thing if you do it with Joja.

Zoe posted:

And aw yes just bought a sprinkler that covers 24 blocks, this changes everything.

Where was it sold, from the wagon? How much did it cost? I want to be on the lookout for that, I'd love to get one early.

It says it covers "24 blocks". What does that mean? I assume it is a 5x5 square area, with the sprinkler in the middle?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Your Computer posted:

I wish the game didn't put your cursor in the top left corner during cutscenes/talking/fishing/etc. I have two monitors, so it puts the cursor 1 pixel away from the [X] in whatever window I have on my other screen and I've already closed so much stuff because of this :negative:
Fullscreen does nothing to help this either, as it never constricts the cursor to the game window.

I had this problem too. It is because you have a controller plugged in. Unplugging it resolves the issue.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Met posted:

What's so complicated about opening games through Steam? I've never had any issue with it.

I imagine it is the fact that you need the Steam application running, and some people wouldn't want to have to keep it running when they aren't playing.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm curious how far people are in the game, compared to how much real time they've played. I'm at Summer 21, Year 1 with 16 hours played. I've restarted after dying in the cave twice now. Yeah, it's a cheat, and I'm not one to always cheat out of death penalties, but the loss of cave levels can really kiss my rear end.

IAmTheRad posted:

In Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar, cooked food is stupidly profitable, and since you can only sell stuff once a week for full price, cooking is a great way to make some inexpensive ingredients into massive riches.

Grand Bazaar is my all-time favorite HM game, if we're not including nostalgia factor for the original or 64.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
How do you bring tilled soil back to untilled? I could've swore I was doing it earlier using the pickaxe, but that doesn't work now.

edit: Are most minerals used for crafting, or is it just quartz? I need money, and I've got all these rocks just laying around.

Revol fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 29, 2016

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Gamerofthegame posted:

You can smelt quartz.

Yeah, and refined quartz is used in crafting. Are any other minerals used for crafting, though?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Post your farm!

Instructions here. I'm on a 2560x1440 monitor, so at 4x resolution I only needed two screenshots to piece this together.

Fall 9, Year 1. This season has been slower than I'd like, due to lack of money, but I've atleast have all of my currently planned plots filled at the moment, so the cashflow will come. It is completely covered by 18 mid-grade sprinklers, so I don't have to water anything at the moment. In the bottom right corner I've planted some regular trees for wood. Planning to use the top left corner for animals, so I figure I may as well let the grass continue to grow. My path between the two plots looks a little wonky because I'm not able to un-till a few squares that I messed up on.

Just reached the bottom of the cave.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

busb posted:

given the 8 tile requirements wouldn't the best fruit tree layout actually be: (where 0 is space, x is fruit tree)
code:
O O O O O O O O O
O x O O x O O x O
O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O
O x O O x O O x O 
O O O O O O O O O
because with only a single space you'd have overlap? or does that not actually interfere with fruit spawning or something? That's what i assumed from the wording but my trees haven't grown to fruition yet.

This is how I've been planning my fruit trees, except I'm going to have them offset at bit, like this:

code:
O O O O O O O O O O
O x O O x O O x O O 
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O x O O x O O x O 
O O O O O O O O O O
So that they can be more visible behind each other.

Dilber posted:

It's not on there either.

I've been getting multiple updates today too, I think they are unversioned hotfixes. I suspect he put the diagonal run fix back in, because it seems different now.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think the people who think abigail's old portrait is better are fuckin crazy

Mm hm, her new portrait has a lot more character to it. I prefer Maru's old portrait, though. Her current one just doesn't do anything for me.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
As we all know, we can't grow crops in the winter. (Greenhouse excluded.) This was going to be a problem for me, because I only had around 15K on me once Winter came along. I only had two chickens, and that's kinda it. I didn't have a way to make reliable money beyond crops, and I'd have to choose between:

- having a strong start come Spring, but not doing poo poo during the Winter

- making some smart purchases now, but then find myself unable to start business properly at the end of the year

Then I turned in the winter forage quest early on in the season, thanks to digging up a winter yam. I turned it in, and I got the winter forage seeds. Oh, I could plant forage seeds in the winter like the other seasons? This changed everything. I had 12 quality sprinklers taking care of 96 plots of forage crops all season long... and I held off on shipping it all until the end of the season. I still foraged outside my farm too, but 90% of all I turned in at the end of the season was grown myself. I was expecting to hit 10-15k, get some nice seed money for the start of Spring.

Oh poo poo. I'm starting year 2 with over 40k. The highest I've hit in this game was 20k, before I bought the stable. Spring Year 2 is gonna be the Year of Ramrod Farm.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Spaced God posted:

No but seriously, how the hell do you guys have so much fruit? I'm managing maybe a half dozen of each fruit so far from foraging

It depends on the fruit. Some I only have a couple of, and then I have over 120 blackberries because they are super-plentiful forage mid-fall.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Are artifacts of any use once I send the first one into the museum? I don't imagine they are used in any crafting, and the ones I've sold seem to be completely useless pricewise.

Mega64 posted:

How is modding coming along as far as adding/editing dialogue?

What I want most out of modding in this game is a community-driven project to add more dialogue to the game. I envision a group effort, where anyone can volunteer dialogue for any character, while the project is led by editors who control what gets added to the mod, to make sure dialogue remains in character and appropriate for the story.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Spring 11, Year 2

Just upgraded my house. Once a storm comes, I'll be popping the question to Leah. I plan to move the coop over to the pen next to the stables soon. The empty grid is a plot expansion that I'll need 32 quality sprinklers for, but by the time I'll have the mats for it it'll be close to the end of the season, so that'll wait until summer. My farm is still humble, I haven't gotten into money-making schemes like hops or any other kind of artisan goods.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

dropkickpikachu posted:

Welp;

I envy some of you folks' ability to plan ahead, jeez.

I'll have to create a new coop, move my chickens, and then delete the old one. I was planning ahead; I thought I was clever that I was gonna have one large pen in the upper left corner with coops and barns. Then I realized I'd rather have them next to my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Bad Seafood posted:

How are you people taking these vast overhead screenshots of your farms?

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/484fj1/how_to_zoom_out_with_a_nvidia_graphics_card/

On my 2560x1440 monitor, I've got enough width to where I only need to take one top and one bottom screenshots, and connect them together.