Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Those new screenshots look great, I especially like how the snowy one looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Avocados posted:

Have they said much else about combat? I really dont care about it one way or the other. I've enjoyed plenty of similar games that featured no combat, but all I've seen so far are swords and slimes.

I think that's all that's been shown so far but I haven't been following super closely. I saw a stream and combat pretty much looked like stabbing the square in front of you with a knife, nothing exciting at the time.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

Imma go out on a limb here and say he meant the map sprites, but even those have more pixels and are more vibrant.

Something feels really off on the art style, though. I'm not sure how. I feels like the angle of perspective is all over the place, maybe?

Yeah I agree it's a bit weird, the background stuff is a 3/4 perspective and the sprites look more like a side-on/platformer kinda view.

im a girl btw fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 28, 2014

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

YOURFRIEND posted:

I mean you can self publish on Steam. That is the point of Steam. This game would get greenlighted almost immediately. Press is easy to come by with a niche title like this, people who enjoy the subgenre will spread it via word of mouth and you just write up a little blurb and send a demo to every gaming website. All of the websites of games they publish are identical, it's just a template and if you are adept enough to singlehandedly code and do all your art for a game then I imagine making a website can't be that much of a hurdle. Even hiring someone to whip up a less lovely site would cost less than 10% of your sales.

I think it's probably easy to underestimate how difficult that stuff can be. Reviewers are going to pay more attention to a game they are sent by the company that already made a super successful game (Starbound) than some unknown developer. A website might not be a lot of effort compared to coding a game but it's something with no real return that's taking up game coding time.

I've been following this game for a really long time and noticed a huge spike in interest after it was linked from the Starbound website. I think you're right and it would have been greenlit without Chucklefish being involved but their involvement has given a huge publicity boost. And really if it ends up making say a million dollars, and I'd be surprised if it doesn't, $900,000 is still a lot of money for one guy for 2-3 years work.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I loaded up my game after the patch and all my quests in my journal are gone (like meet 28 people, build a scarecrow etc)

Anyone had the same thing and does it matter? Just wondering if I should start again since I'm only ~7 days in