Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is this update out on Switch yet or is it still PC only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy gently caress I just realized save games are cross compatible from mobile to PC :psypop::psypop::psypop:

This was like the one thing holding me back from getting back into this, I had about a 10 hour save on mobile that I played recently and a ~40 hour save on PC from years ago. I didn't want to completely start over but didn't want to play the super late game save either. This rules.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any sort of mod out there that lets me pin recipes? Something that would allow me to for example mark the 100 stone needed to build a silo that I could check back at the farm because I'm too dumb to remember what I wanted to make by the time I get home.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GotLag posted:

I cannot thank enough the person in this thread who suggested Seasonal Villager Outfits.

It adds so much more variety to the game than I was expecting.

This is cool, thanks for the heads up. Some of the portraits are so-so but it does make the seasons feel more distinct.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TIL you can build chests outside of your farm! :eng101:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I find fishing in this game extremely tedious and is always the last thing that ends up unfinished in the community center. I know there's mods to make it easier but it just feels like cheating at that point.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does the mini game get easier as you level up in some way? I'm not sure if I ever got past level 3 or so but if the bar expands while leveling up that might convince me to spend more time doing it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Qubee posted:

Depending on your fishing level and fishing rod, the green catchment area increases in size. I believe fish also stop behaving as erratically the higher your fishing level.

drat, I didn't know this. Yeah that might get me to go grind out some levels in that case.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Seems to me that almost everyone likes Mayo so I'm just handing out fistfuls of mayonnaise all over town, at least in year one :shrug:

Is there a difference when giving different star value items? I always assumed gifts always filled the same amount of hearts as others in the same category no matter the quality but it sounds like maybe that's not the case?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Well son of a bitch that might explain some things.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Saint Freak posted:

And the River Farm is...not great.

I went with the River Farm in my current game because the previous game I played always had me lagging behind with the fish community goals and yeah I am not having the greatest time with it with pretty much no benefit as far as catching fish is concerned anyway. I have space for crops and have a coop and barn now on the main patch of land but I'm not sure what I'll be doing with the other space. I think eventually I might just move my crops to the other smaller patches of land and leave the animals on the main one but I haven't gotten that far yet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh that's good to know that the pan is poo poo, I got it and haven't really paid attention to it but I also haven't seen any sparklies in the water so meh. An automated collector of sorts would be nice to check on every now and then and have a couple gold ore or something but there's so much better ways at getting ore much faster that it seemed useless to me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm bummed because just before the end of year 1 I had ~30K and bought a shitton of wood/stone to do a farmhouse upgrade (for MY WIFE) and the first coop upgrade too, but I wish I would've bought more when the price was so cheap. I didn't know the cost went up at the start of the second year or I would've bought way more of the stuff :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo I didn't even consider putting bombs in the slingshot lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ultima66 posted:

I found the Golden Scythe, which is new to me. Do people actually use it regularly? Because for me I use a Galaxy Sword for everything I would use Scythe for except for the really specific plants you have to Scythe. Also kind of weird to have that dungeon that just has the Golden Scythe and nothing else interesting in it.

I was also trying to figure out the point of the golden scythe. The regular scythe cuts stuff just fine :shrug:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FistEnergy posted:

I've tried a few crab pots and came away thoroughly unimpressed. Are they actually usable?

I made like 10 of them and would bait them every day and turn the glasses/CD's into quartz. I think I made about 25 quartz bars over a season or two and haven't baited them since.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Saxophone posted:

I did it. I installed mods. Not many. One for elevators in the skull caverns and another to give me tons of useful info like scarecrow ranges, time left on things on mouseover, whether I pet my drat chicken or not, etc.

Already amazing.

I'm using that second one you mentioned and it's really great to have and doesn't feel too cheaty. I just got to the Skull Cave last night and am thinking about getting that elevator one too because gently caress spending thousands of stone to descend a couple levels in that thing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

twistedmentat posted:

How do you get a Rabbit Foot? I know from a rabbit, but when I've seen them, i have no idea what to do. Do i have the kill the bunny?

You can own rabbits with the level 3 coop, pretty sure you get it somehow that way. I just got one so I dunno if I have to kill one of those or if they just drop them like the duck feathers.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Neon Noodle posted:

Is there any way to learn what gifts people like other than trial and error or just looking it up in the Wiki?

Eventually you get the ability to uncover secret notes in the world, some of those notes have gift lists for people that tell you what they love. Other than that it's trial-and-error and go by the response you get from them for that gift or look it up on the wiki.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I kinda hoped mead would make honey more profitable but it doesn't look like it changes at all when turning honey into mead. Honey in general seems kinda not worth it? Even when surrounded by blue bells one jar of honey gets me 200 gold I think it is after a couple of days.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Leah's 14 heart event is really cute and the reveal made me actually laugh out loud. Proudly hanged that thing on my wall directly behind the bed.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My god bombing an entire forest down is incredibly satisfying.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Poque posted:

I don't think this is accurate - I've only heard about PC/Mobile and that seems to be uncorroborated as far as I can tell

PC/Mobile cross save is absolutely possible, I took my save from mobile onto PC and have played there since. Worked without a problem by dropping the files in the right folder. I'm not sure if Switch/PC would work, EDIT: some googling tells me it does not work. Mobile to PC or PC to Mobile only from what I can tell.

Transferring from mobile with no mods to PC with mods worked perfectly fine. I'm not sure how it would be vice versa if you're going from a modded PC save and putting it on mobile. I feel like the modded stuff would just disappear but I haven't tried it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I never played this co-op before, if we're modding do we both just need the same mods or are some only for the host?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mederlock posted:

I don't know the technically correct answer, but when my wife and I played using the internet, I just installed the exact same mods (and mod versions) on both host and client and it just worked, so :shrug:

Thanks!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This might be a stupid question but is there something like a dedicated server for this that I could run and friends could play on regardless of whether I'm on at the time? I found this Multiplayer Docker thing that sounds like maybe the closest I'll get to that where it auto-starts I guess an instance of the game when my friends connect to it. This probably doesn't exist because something like this wouldn't really work in SDV but figured I'd ask if it's been done before.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Started playing this co-op last night and really digging some of the mod suggestions that I went with. I like the fish one that shows the fish in the water, feels non-cheaty like the skip minigame mod might but helps a lot.

I didn't realize when starting a co-op map that selecting 2 as the number of houses would build 2 including the standard cabin. Am I able to delete one of those houses since it's just going to be two of us playing?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Alxprit posted:

Robin should be able to destroy buildings as part of her services, I think?

I thought so too I just wasn't sure if it was considered a special building or something like that and hadn't had a chance to check last night. I'll look later, it'd be nice to clear up that space.

The new farm layout is great, it's neat starting with a couple chickens.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

God this game is hard to peel away from once you get going. Loving the mods so far, haven't even really started with Automation yet but simple poo poo like the F1 to lookup anything mod is fantastic. Convenient Inventory with the deposit to nearby feature is great, NPC map locations is great, Visible Fish is great... just a bunch of little things that really improve the experience without feeling overly cheaty.

Got a co-op farm going with a friend but I might have to start a solo game to play on my own time :f5:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Been real fun playing co-op with my friend because we both realized that I always prioritized farming upgrades and leveling to make more money and left fishing/combat till I had everything else done and he always did the bare minimum in the farm to support his fishing and cave diving. So we both naturally started doing what the other guy wasn't doing, pretty funny.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ohhyeah posted:

Just learning now that your pet has a water bowl? It’s funny what tips you pick up because I’ve known about the pulsing community center icon for a while.

Lmao I actually also just realized that you can put water in the water bowl for the first time this playthrough.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is it quicker to rush ducks to get the last piece needed to unlock the cheese press if I already have a regular coop/barn? I just got cows making milk and was trying to figure out if I should just upgrade to a lvl 3 barn for wool/goat milk or upgrade the coop for duck eggs and the barn once for sheep wool.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thank you, Ducks it is!

Also want to give a shout out to the pause time mod, it's useful when playing co-op and I need to go take care of something but don't want to inconvenience my friend. I did have to adjust the settings to make it not auto-pause all the time, by default it pauses time if anyone opens the menu or is in a cutscene but since it's just the two of us I set it so we both have to be in a menu for it to auto pause. Then I have the button to manually pause if I have to go do something irl so he can dick around without worrying about me not being back before it forces us to the next day.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I installed that one last night and it's super helpful for those icons alone.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is CJB Cheats Menu the easiest way for a friend to change their chosen skill without having to pay the $10k in game to do it?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

God, Automate is great. Been getting more comfortable with how it works and it's nice for stuff like the mushroom cave where I can set up paths to count as "conveyors" and have it all auto collect to a chest on the side. Making mayo/cheese money like crazy now because it's so easy to dump everything in a chest and come back to it full of products.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah. That's why it's cheating.

You're not wrong and I'm not ignorant to the fact that it will break open the economy when I really get going but it feels less cheaty (and more fun) than just using cheats to give myself money, plus I've already played through this game a number of times only to sorta fizzle out halfway through so I'm enjoying being able to focus elsewhere like cave diving and exploring while my stuff is working away back at home. Some kind of tax per automation set up would not be a bad idea for at least some semblance of balance though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cranappleberry posted:

do you use the pipes mods? and if so, how do you like them?

after I beat everything I like to screw around with game-breaking mods.

No I'm just using Automate with the option enabled to turn paths into extenders to connect stuff.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

HopperUK posted:

Love finding shirts buried in the dirt and immediateky wearing them like the goblin I am.

I found a grease stained shirt last night and well I'll never have to wear another shirt again. I look like a proper farmer now!

Also thanks for the heads up about putting hats on your pets. My cat is wearing a beanie now and it's adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Guigui posted:

This youtube sketch about grandpa and his bed made me think of this thread. "Some unknown disease, I don't know-it's not important" is now my headcannon for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPfZMeUqKk4

Lmao, thanks for this. "You don't wanna know.. I'm taking care of it though"