Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Why are my animals grumpy? It's winter, I have heaters and a silo full of hay, and I patted them yesterday and most if not all other days so far this season

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Poil posted:

Is their door closed? It needs to be during winter.

Nope, left the hatch open. Fixed that and it made them happy.

Daztek posted:

Do you have a deluxe barn? If not are you feeding them by placing a hay from the hopper onto the feeding bench?

No deluxe barn and no I wasn't using the feeding bench, I thought they ate it straight out of the hopper. Explains why the silo was still full several days into winter. I've started doing that now too. Thank you both!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Are there any circumstances where buying fertilizer from Pierre is worth it? I just ran some numbers and if I've done it right it looks marginal at best.

At level 10 farming, with tiller for 10% increased crop prices, 100 unfertilized pumpkins sell for on average 41800, or 83600 for two harvests. With lvl 1 fertilizer they sell for 46288, 92576 for two harvests. 100 fertilizer from Pierre costs 10000 and in this example only increases your sales by 8976 for a net loss of 1024. Maybe with the 10% faster crop growth perk you could squeeze in a harvest of Bok Choy or something and turn that into a slight profit but even then it's marginal and there's also the time spent dumping the fertilizer on your fields to take into account. Level 2 fertilizer was much the same, two harvests of 100 pumpkins get a 13376 increase in sales at a cost of 15000 for 100 fertilizer.

Does it get any better if you're using faster-growing crops and doing several harvests?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

e: also i guess something like corn over two seasons would be pretty good. you get the chance for quality increase a number of times

i think the crops you plant once and harvest multiple times only get the benefit of fertilizer on the first harvest? might be wrong on that one though

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

LLSix posted:

You can make your own fertilizer. The basic one you can make with just sap is really nice because you probably have multiple stacks of sap lying around from all the trees you chopped to get wood for buildings, beehives and kegs.

Yeah I've been doing this but blew through 900 sap this season and still had more planting to do so I ran the numbers to see if it was worth buying more

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

maltesh posted:

Growth accelerators only count for the time to first harvest, Quality improvers and Water Retainers work until the patch is no longer tilled.

This isn't what the wiki says.

quote:

Most fertilizers have limited effect on multiple-harvest crops [...] Basic and Quality Fertilizers affect only the first berry from each harvest

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

oooh okay yeah that makes sense my bad

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Grundulum posted:

I don’t even know how many hours I’ve spent playing Stardew Valley, nor how many times I’ve read that exact line from the wiki, but that interpretation never occurred to me. Today I learned something for whenever I finally get a chance to go back and play!

thank you for making me feel a little less dumb :v:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

but what about anime tiddies and their lack of cons

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Weird that you guys calling that "surprisingly dark for Stardew" have never leveled Shane up

also: wait, there's a mountain summit?

e: oh it's a post-perfection thing

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 22, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I did that to get to the bottom of the Skull Caverns and I still got my reward(s). Suck it, Qi!

you definitely did not get to the bottom of the skull caverns

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

oh thank god

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

YOU CAN MOVE THE GREENHOUSE!?

gently caress me I always assumed it was fixed

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Unintentionally, I have become history's greatest monster

My dog is trapped by the stable, the bin, and the trees. It's actually really convenient because now he's always right next to his bowl and I can give him his morning pat at the same time I fill it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Daztek posted:

That's just distracting from the real crime, which is that top right sprinkler!

if i moved it down a row there would still be just as many wasted tiles. it's not my fault the tillable area isn't a perfect rectangle!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Cranappleberry posted:

the actual, for real, crime in that image is the stable is on the wrong side of the house so the roofs are not aligned properly. shame shame shame

so if i'm going into town or the bus stop you want me to go left first then right? get the gently caress out of here with that inefficiency

e: even if i'm going down through the field to my barn and coop like usual, the door is closer to the right side of the house

e2: i'm also moving the greenhouse to where you'd have me put the stable as soon as it's unlocked. so i'd have to run all the way past the stable first! so many reasons you're wrong

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 4, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

you guys want crimes? i'll give you god drat crimes

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Zesty posted:

An idea for form & function from a former playthrough.

not sure what the idea i'm supposed to see is, but i do note your couch blocking the direct path from your bed to your tv :hmmno:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Zesty posted:

Sorry, from now on I'll try not to suggest any complicated megaprojects for you.

i wasn't trying to seriously be a dick, just jokingly be a dick about the tv efficiency. i don't actually care how efficient your house is and it does look nice. it's not like i don't care about aesthetics at all, they're just a distant second to efficiency for me personally and people are giving me all kinds of non-serious poo poo for it so i was playing along. but i honestly don't know what the idea i'm supposed to be looking at is because you just posted a busy screenshot with no explanation

best i got is the coffee on either side of the bed which is pretty good, you got the speed boost handy whichever way you're going. but that's off centre of the pic so idk if that's what you want me to see

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 5, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

It is insane to poopoo others for cheating in single player. Namaste.

good thing nobody is doing that then!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

what the gently caress is the point of a cow decal if i can't even put it on the wall of my barn

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Well that was a successful day. Got married, hit 100 in the skull mine, and fixed the boat. Lewis missed out on a birthday present though.

Actually the boat was the day before but I guess the marriage cutscene pushes the boat cutscene back a day.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't build the stable at all. :twisted:

Clearly suboptimal; without a stable you have no horse, and without a horse you can't wear a tophat and ride a horse also wearing a tophat

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Sloober posted:

that's some monstrous sprinkler placement there chief

we’ve been over this. i could move the whole column down a row, but then i’d just have three tiles of coverage wasted on the bottom row instead, and additionally i’d have wonky lines of sprinklers. not sure what you want me to do? :shrug:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

GotLag posted:

gently caress that stupid loving cave puzzle

I just did it in 2-3 minutes by abusing the fact that it gets slower each time you fail. Just fail the first round on purpose a few times and it's pretty easy

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm sure it's gathered more conveniently somewhere, but if you look them up on the wiki, it's attached to each character's rank 14 heart event.

Off the top of my head, Alex installs a TV for the guys in the Saloon, Abigail erects a grave in the Backwoods, Leah paints a painting that Marnie puts up in her room (and also you get a painting you can hang up), Penny will redecorate your bedroom with several pieces of unique furniture, Sebastian adopts a frog that lives in his room, and Emily gives you a unique outfit. I think the others are just events.

Emily also put carpet down in one of the rooms in my game. I'd taken out the wall between that and the main room, which I'd also carpeted. Now I have a hideous mixture of two different carpets with a patch of default floorboards in the gap between them where the wall used to be. Not sure if that's unique to her or a general spouse event.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I thought I was being clever finally remembering to give Clint something to upgrade on a Tuesday, so it would be ready for pickup on Thursday and not when he was closed on Friday. Turned out Thursday was a festival day :doh:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I saw an old post on reddit where some guy got a perfect catch of every fish in the game. Said it took him 5 years of game time. Then he got mad that CA was adding the quality bobber because it “devalued his achievement” lmao

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Worth having one for the legendary fish if nothing else

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Trilobite posted:

Now I feel weird because I can never bear to sell the legendary fish; I end up keeping them forever. (And sometimes using them in a grange display, because Pierre must suffer.)

Well if it helps, Qi's catch the alternative legendary fish quest is repeatable, and they're worth just as much

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Snake Vertebrae sucks rear end to get. Its the last one we need for the Ginger Island completion, but the dig spots are so rare.

Meanwhile I just need the ribs. They did drop for me once, except my inventory was full and they fell in the river :negative:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

This exact thing happened to me once and ever since, my inventory is effectively 35 items not 36. I never ever let it get all the way full.

If I try that what will happen is the bone fragments will get sucked into my one inventory space and the ribs will fall in the river again. I’m making sure I have a full row free

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

MehrTentakelnBitte posted:

Vegetables exist for Recipes and otherwise not growing

I don't have enough kegs and jars to keep up with my greenhouse full of ancient fruit and pomegranates yet, let alone processing anything grown outdoors. I have a whole bunch of tillable sprinklered land outside and it's very little work to plant and harvest a couple of crops of caulis/melons/pumpkins per season and they still sell for a significant amount of cash unprocessed

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not Enough Kegs is a solvable problem with stacks of acorns and tree fertilizer. Plant an oak forest by the bathhouse, in the quarry, and on the beach, if your farm's out of room. (Eventually you'll have enough oak resin and then will replace it with a keg forest.)

I mean obviously that's kind of extreme minmaxing but if you're trying to fill out all the cheevos including the ones that require you make a hundred mil, that's how you do it without it taking 45 years.

Yeah I'm working on it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Man, reaching skull mine floor 200 is hard

I was a little late starting (just after 7am I think) but I had max daily luck, the luck charm, the statue blessing for extra ladders and shafts, ample bombs, and one magic rock candy until it ran out and spicy eel after that, and still only got to 163. Probably spent a little too long hoovering up iridium ore instead of running straight to the next level. I did come back with a haul of 415 iridium ore and 4 prismatic shards though

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Can anyone see what I'm missing from my museum collection? The collections pages for artifacts and minerals are both full but Gunther won't cough up his stardrop and the achievement won't fire

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Thank you! No idea why it's in my collections page with the full description, I thought you had to donate it to get that?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

GotLag posted:

It's always been possible to drop stuff by picking up a stack in your inventory screen and clicking outside your inventory

Except it would usually just bounce straight back in again unless the slot was filled very quickly. He fixed that in 1.6 too though, with the cool down on picking stuff back up.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Anyone else experiencing a bug where on loading the game, trying to click anything on your toolbar just activates whatever's in the first slot? Changing area by leaving the farmhouse fixes it but it's still annoying when I just want to smash my coffee and tend to whatever machines in the house finished their job in the night but instead I'm just standing next to the coffee machine waving my sword around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That's actually how you win; if you look it up on the wiki, you need to submit good quality items but from like 9 different categories, of which only 6 are used for this festival. So a random smattering of stuff is way better than putting 9 iridium star fruits and veggies.

yeah not to rain on anyone's parade but if you look up the mechanics it's very easy to win the fair. there's a lot of stuff on the wiki about how to get a perfect score but you don't need anywhere near that to win. if you just cover the different categories and make sure a few of your items are gold star or better you're probably set