Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Oh god help I just bought the game today and I am so stuck...

...in the character creator. So many options, I am paralysed by indecision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I think I've encountered a bug with regards to birthday gifts:
Penny's birthday is Fall 2. On Fall 1 I gave her a present, as normal. On Fall 2 I gave her a gift, she thanked me for remembering her birthday. I can't give her any more on that day (or for the rest of this week) but the Social tab shows I've only given her one this week.

What gives?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Tenebrais posted:

It definitely looks like a bug if it's displaying only one gift given but you can't give her any on fall 3. I assume this is tied to the fact you can always give someone a birthday present even if you've given them 2 gifts that week.

Definitely something fruity going on, I opened the save and had a look and it had me down as having given her 3 gifts that week. Changed the number to 1, gave another gift, life rolled on.

Now newly married and trying to work out what direction to take this farm in.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

MotU posted:

1 leg shorter than the other, another leg got 2 knees, insulation in the saddle

I trust you built the stable right next to the lake, for the softest ground?

Edit: don't put the heater too close to the wall

GotLag fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 23, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Penny did the same thing the day after I married her. I hope she's not pregnant with my lady babies already :ohdear:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Germstore posted:

The fishing in the fall festival minigame is subtly different than regular fishing. In the minigame the fish is hooked when the mouse button is pressed down, everywhere else the fish is hooked when the mouse button is released.

Do you hold down the mouse button when you cast the fishing line? You don't need to.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

There are consequences: since Robin's thus never in the shop you can never buy or upgrade another building or item of furniture

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Well, the bachelor(ette)s you are supposed to marry are all living with their parents or in tiny shacks so it's natural for them to move in with you.

Also I've only been married to Penny for a few days but she goes out to town sometimes.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Options:
☒ Always Show Tool Hit Location

Helps a lot.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The hoe won't let you till the tile you're standing on, even if the square is highlighted.

Khorne posted:

The code for translating mouse/cursor position to world coordinates is pretty buggy in general. It's especially obvious with entities. I mean you can play around it and it behaves consistently so you get used to it while petting animals and stuff. You just give them a shove, and you know you're petting the top one that's really far away and not the close one you're clicking on.

Aim for the feet, that's what works for me.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Jodi's husband is only just back from the wars but all he seems to do is hang around with Haley. Come on man you've not been home a week and already you're loving around.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Zephyrine posted:

Has anyone noticed that on some days. Trees won't drop seeds when cut down?

What's your luck on those days? I haven't looked into it in depth but from some superficial reading luck appears to affect mining yields and probably other things as well.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kruller posted:

Fruit trees only.

And winter forage seeds. Not the biggest money-spinner but a tidy profit (and you can straight-up craft the seeds without any machinery or giving That Fucker any money).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Goddamnit I don't want to name my horse Grover but I can't think of anything else. Waiting for inspiration to strike with the game sitting on the horse name screen.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You know, I didn't even realise Harvey was a romance candidate (I didn't look for the single title and missed it). That moustache made him look like someone's dad.

There's a mod for that!

RicochetD20 posted:

Anyone have any clue on how to fix this? My fonts are screwed up and all of my shadows are green.

Have you verified integrity of the game cache?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I passed out at 2 am just inside my front door, and woke up with all my money and gear but only 50% energy.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Baron posted:

Should I still click all my cows after milking them? The heart pops up when you do, so I wonder if i'm just wasting time clicking them all again.

Also, I can't decide if I should dump all my money into unlocking the vault bundle, or upgrading my tools and poo poo. I'm nearing the end of Winter 1, and I still need to get my gold axe and watering can, but I've also cleared the mines and want to do more stuff!

If you unlock the bus you can visit Emily's lonely cousin in the desert and buy things from her.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Fishvilla posted:

It's worth petting the milk makers because they'll be more likely to produce a 'large' milk to make a gold star cheese from. Keep pettin.

I'd personally go for the backpack > axe > bus for desert. Backpack is a top priority. Axe is helpful and gives you access to the secret forest. Bus/Desert helps you make slightly more money, but overall I dont' think it's as useful as the other two items.

Steel axe gets you to the secret forest. Gold axe chops wood faster.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yeah Shane, how did I know beer was your favourite? I must be a goddamn psychic.

Gazaar posted:

I wish I had a dad that made prison wine

My dad and his family used to make fruit wines, and he makes jams. It's what you did in an era when fruits were only available in season.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Out of idle curiosity, is it impossible to get another single character to 10 stars after you're married? I've been chatting to Leah every day but she's on 9 stars and won't move up to 10, even though regular villagers like Emily and Pam are now 10 stars just from daily chit-chat.

On the other hand maybe it's just gifting that's required? I haven't been giving singles gifts (other than birthdays) since I got scolded for that.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You can harvest anything in the 8 tiles surrounding the one you're on, so as long as you have at least diagonal access, you can get to all of them.

I go to deliver my wife a birthday present and what does her snotty little student say?

I won't. I'll just tell everyone you must have run away.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The vault was the easiest, come on man that's just like one round of cranberries.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
So uh, don't alt-tab out to think of something when the prompt comes up to name your child. You can't click or type anything when you come back, have to task-kill the game, and when you reload it's the morning before and the child never appears.

Welp.

Edit: another user has since reported that you can have another child, but a child that isn't named or a child born on a holiday never appears and you have to do the whole adoption/pregnancy again.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 29, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there any point in opening barn doors in winter? I have a heater, does opening the door counteract that?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ah, that'd be why my cows didn't all produce on a rainy day.

I was just trying to give them a choice :(

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Azazell0 posted:

I've stopped giving gifts for other women after my marriage since I'm afraid it'll anger my wife.

You can give all you like to the non-single ladies.

I chat to everyone in town on my daily run and when I trigger heart events for single ladies my wife doesn't complain but she loves me less.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I bought four cows just before winter, they got to frolic in grass a bit before the winter hit and I had to keep them indoors. I upgraded the barn bought four more cows just after winter started. The baby cows are always sad even though they've got a heater and I keep the feed trough filled with hay from the dispenser. Are they just going to be miserable until spring?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The 1.07 beta is out for opt-in testing on Steam:

ConcernedApe posted:

v1.07 changelog:
  • in-law dialogue... when you marry someone, their parents/relatives dialogues will change slightly to account for the change.
  • fruit trees can't be destroyed by lightning
  • fruit trees produce higher quality fruit as they age. (once per year, up to gold star)
  • fruit tree harvesting now involves shaking the tree to drop the fruit.
  • fixed grammar (e.g. "Eat a egg?") on eating dialogue.
  • hardware mouse cursor option
  • fixed sunflower seed price at joja.
  • NPC's at 10 hearts friendship will no longer decay
  • restored lost sprinkler effects
  • potential weed greenhouse bug fix
  • potential bug fix for an audio engine path problem that prevented the game from starting
  • Game now keeps a backup save file for your character (previous day)
  • Added another digit to the shipping menu money counters.
  • Minor changes/fixes to dialogue.
update at 6:16pm PST March 28th
  • Poppy properly consumed in poppyseed muffin recipe
  • Can no longer "use" trap bobbers (click to make them disappear with strange sound)
  • Spouse stands next to you at the Dance of the Moonlight Jellies
  • Tools left in chests within farm buildings won't count as "missing"
  • dying in mines is less harsh: money lost caps at 5000g, rate of item loss reduced slightly, can't lose rings or a certain very rare weapon.
https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/4c93ns/v107_beta_branch_bugsdiscussion/

Apologies if this has been posted here already, haven't seen it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Azazell0 posted:

I'm missing the Maki roll recipe for the community center. People say it's on the cooking channel, but I missed it, but also that you could buy it from Gus. He doesn't offer it, though, so maybe it's available only on a certain time?
The maki roll recipe is broadcast on 21 summer, year 1. You'll be happy to know that the cooking channel repeats on a two-yearly schedule :suicide:

If you've just missed it (again?) you could use this editor and just pretend you looked it up online or at the library or something.

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: also if they were serving you sashimi in those gulags, you weren't in a gulag, man
I've made sashimi out of some pretty bad fish in this game

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, its the only thing I have that has any value, Selling wood, fiber and stone isn't worth enough to get me the money i need to get seeds. I mean its my own fault for not checking the calander before i planted 40 potatos, using up all my money.

Do trees have seasons? I was looking at them and their costs would suck if you had to spend 4k x Y every season.

Fruit trees just take 28 days to grow the first time, and only produce fruit in their season. The tree itself lives forever*.

* Unless struck by lightning before the next patch

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

twistedmentat posted:

The fact when you leave the mines, it puts your right at the start, no matter how deep you are. One of the best game designs i've seen in forever.

Indeed. Having to backtrack ladders to the last elevator would be such a huge pain in the arse.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Pelican Town is a happy community full of happy people.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Germstore posted:

Maybe the dwarf is actually her father. Maybe dwarfs eat minerals too; they sure like them.

Why do you assume the dwarf is male? Abby is clearly the child of the dwarf and the wizard, who used a memory charm to place her in Pierre and Caroline's home. This is why Abby feels an affinity for the mines and the wizard tower.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The Luau soup's reception is based entirely on gold value of the produce, use something worth more than 200 gold for the best outcome

Deified Data posted:

My first luau I put in a gold pepper and it was just average. Most people aren't just "meh" towards hot peppers. I was taken aback.

I assume making a great soup can factor into your 3-year evaluation?
Evaluation is based on your financial performance (total not cash-in-hand), certain achievements, social standing, and a few game milestones. If you don't perform to expectations you can trigger another evaluation later, no need to give up and restart.

All the gory details

GotLag fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 30, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm in summer of year 2. I'm just waiting for fall to get the apples for my final community center bundle. I've gotten married, caught every kind of fish, and once the new year 2 fall crop is available I'll have shipped everything, including rare stuff like the duck feather, rabbit's foot, and iridium bars, and will have gotten both the monoculture and polyculture achievements. I have 10 heart relationships with 2/3rds of the town.

But I'm not even close to maxing out the museum, despite doing tons of mining and digging every worm tile I see. I even got the pirate perk. Is there some source of artifacts I'm missing or is there just some unfathomable grind required to finish the museum?

Have you been donating minerals (from geodes) to the museum?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You can take the bus to the desert, and unlock the skull dungeon if you've cleared the mine.

Or if you're rich and lazy, take the bus to the desert on a Wednesday and buy a stack of omni geodes for $1k each at the shop

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You only get Bad End for the Luau if you put in something poisonous (negative energy), like sap, pufferfish or red shrooms. A zero-energy item (like most flowers) will just cause disgust.

Does white algae have negative energy, or is it just aggressively mediocre?

Edit: as for artifacts, I reached 6 by the end of summer, year 2 by just digging every worm I saw on my day-to-day work/travel, and opening whatever geodes I'd found on my infrequent mining trips.
I never ignore wormsign.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 30, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you have an Iridium rod, pick up the tackle in inventory and right-click the rod.

Edit: nm, saw that you know how to bait

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you wanna go faster you gotta scream louder

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You desperate for hearts with Pam or something?

She's my mother-in-law, may as well try to get along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I wish I knew what was causing me to be unable to name children. I think it was the chest renaming mod but I'm still waiting on another adoption to play out since I've removed that mod.