Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoG
Jul 13, 2004

peter banana posted:

it was pretty tone deaf, considering some guy just shot a bunch of people because women wouldn't gently caress him and he felt entitled to that. Like, the biggest issue facing women right now isn't "the fact that we don't demand our own recognition" it's "will some man kill me because I said I wouldn't sleep with him?"

You really think that one incident is indicative of social structure at large?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

peter banana posted:

as a woman: YES

Well, to paraphrase a wise person, if you want to engage with a culture of ideas, you have to accept that your views will be challenged. People are going to disagree with you and maybe you should listen to their objections instead of whining about the fact that others are making objections.

tldr: great thread. Keep it up.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

peter banana posted:

This is the worst and dumbest derail that ever happened so I'd like it to stop but: what are you even talking about?

Where did I whine about your objections?
You didn't whine about my objection, you whined about JR's opposing viewpoint, confusingly enough, by asking him not to whine about opposing viewpoints (which he hadn't done in the first place).

quote:

You asked me if my experiences indicated a larger problem with misogyny in society.
I didn't ask you any part of that. I asked if that one shooting was germane to a purely philosophical, if dumb, consideration of matriarchy vs patriarchy.

My point is this: John made some ridiculous argument at which you could have just rolled your eyes, as the rest of us did, as one does with much of his rambling philosophizing. Instead you cried, "too soon!" (ie, "It was pretty tone-deaf, considering..."). For that alone, gently caress you. Now you're willfully misinterpreting everything in the most volatile way possible, so that you can bring up dumb tumblr hashtags.

Thanks for accusing me of denying that you'd been raped, though. (?!) That's not terroristic rhetoric at all.

• Locked thread