Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I really dig the style of simple 3d spaceships with nice quality effects more than I thought when I saw the screenshots. It looks great in motion.

And capital ship wreckage should be in every space game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

timn posted:

While the idea for the lead indicator is cool in theory, I think it will be frustrating to use in practice.

Notice how the location of the indicator relative to your cross-hair floats around. You have to mentally manage three variables at once now: the direction of your ship, the position of the enemy on the screen, and the position of the lead indicator on the screen. You're steering your ship to try to nudge this floating green circle on top of the enemy, rather than just pointing your cross-hairs at a moving lead indicator. It seems backwards because it's adding an unnecessary layer of abstraction to whole thing.
Uhhh, just play Diaspora.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Or learn to fly real life fighter jets.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Give me the modern fighter jet gun pipper aiming system over the old space sim lead dot aim point system any day!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
"A disabled capital ship shoots down a volley of incoming torpedoes while fighters duke it out."

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

If I didn't know what thread I was in I would've sworn that was from Homeworld 2. This is gonna be awesome.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh man this looks amazing. :fap: I love colorful space.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I love the triangle lens flare - such a small detail but also indicative of how different the game is from ordinary stuff. I can't remember the last time I saw a game with triangular lens flares. Maybe never.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If you could choose primary/secondary fleet trim colors like in Galactic Civilization II, well, that would be pretty awesome. I'd love for this game to depend more on generated rather than pre-rendered textures.

I'm just going to project every little thing I've ever wanted a space shooter to be onto this pre-alpha game if that's ok.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Those graphics really do look a lot better in motion than in the screenshots. I thought it looked terrible until I watched a video. I still don't actually like the art style, but the game itself looks interesting and I'l be able to overlook the graphics if they pull it off.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I've never marked out for a game this hard in my life until now. Strategy, mixed with space simming, and aping the Homeworld 2 artstyle? I'm in love.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

He should kickstart this, and put it on the WiiU.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bushisms.txt posted:

I would back the poo poo out of this game. It's like someone mashed together all the classic games that I've been wanting updates of into one sweet, sweet pile. Especially with those lead reticules. They look so... satisfying to use somehow.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Also, messing around with the Oculus Rift dev kit that he received:

He says: I made a hack/jam build to see how the Rift will fare. Mixed feelings so far, but keeping at it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Another sexy gif, but what is an occulus rift?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Another sexy gif, but what is an occulus rift?

Oculus Rift is a VR headset for playing compatible games on. I only know this because one of my friends is pumped as hell for it. I find it less impressive, but what do I know.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh my god its like a randomly generated (with all the advantages and disadvantages that entails) FS2 campaign. I need this now.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Why hello there Enemy Starfighter, is it possible for you to keep looking better every time I see you? Yes? Okay great.

From this tweet:

quote:

Hunting down bombers as nukes explode in the distance. Evaluating APeterson's Spacescape http://alexcpeterson.com/spacescape

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I want this now. :fap:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That looks great, though I kinda preferred the OrangeSpace.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That looks great, though I kinda preferred the OrangeSpace.
Good news - "there will definitely be a variety of skyboxes" so yes, orange is still in.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

All the colours of the rainbow! :allears:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This is how the tactical map works right now:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I am really impressed with how the little monitor in the dashboard looks.

The huge exploding capital ship posted a page or two back looks amazing on the dashboard mini-comp.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Sweet robot jesus (still miss the orange skybox)

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
This looks amazing.
The game I keep forgetting that I want someone to make.

I have fond memories of playing the hell out of Tie Fighter, and the flight, map, radar, and shield balancing aspects all remind me of that game.

Side note, one cool feature Tie Fighter had was the ability to record replays of missions. When it worked (it was a little buggy), you could playback missions, but with some amount of camera control, so you could watch all the dogfights in third person and I think there might have been an action cam (memory is hazy on this one). It was actually really awesome. Were there any other space sim games that did something similar?

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
I hope this dude adds something like replays/action shots. He seems to have a certain amount of cinematic flair, I mean look at those awesome flak explosions :allears:

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

bushisms.txt posted:

Same but on the OUYA instead.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I love that with modern technology it's feasible for a talented and dedicated person to create a game like this all on their own. I'm loving the polygonal aesthetic. A good example of taking advantage of your limitations. Lots of games set in space end up looking like rear end because their ships are overdesigned and poorly textured (like the example on the first page).

Regarding Kickstarter, he's apparently been considering the option

The dev's youtube comment, 2 months ago posted:

Thanks! I have been considering [Kickstarter], mainly to commission a kickass artist. But there are no plans to do so now.

e:Don't know about the name, though.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 23, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
psh Enemy Starfighter is a great name. I wonder if he'll adopt my suggested subtitle (Freespace + Flotilla) or whether he'll chicken out because of some bullshit excuse like "intellectual property laws." As for hiring an artist, I hope he doesn't - everything we've seen so far has been amazing and unless he manages to earn a zillion dollars and hires the Homeworld artists, I'd rather he stick with his own art.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

TychoCelchuuu posted:

How the flying gently caress does this game look so good

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Clearly this game needs to be called Fleet and Flotilla.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

mirarant posted:

Clearly this game needs to be called Fleet and Flotilla.

"Fleet Flotilla's Baadassssss Song"

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Hot drat, I just learned about this game today, and I gotta say it looks pretty awesome from that early prototype video, I'll be following this with great interest.

I personally like the simplistic art design, yeah we've seen beautiful spaceship simulators, but the basic aesthetic gives me such strong Homeworld vibes I hope they stay.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Honestly, the art design is starting to grow on me the more I see it in motion. It's just not one that shows well in still screenshots.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Honestly, the art design is starting to grow on me the more I see it in motion. It's just not one that shows well in still screenshots.

It needs motion to really bring it to life. I didn't think much of the screenshots I saw until I saw all the gifs littered about in this thread. Really excited for this now.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I need this game in my life, holy poo poo! :flashfap:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Enemy Starfighter is a great name.
Surely I'm not the only one that thinks of Last Starfighter every time I see the name. I hope the game has Death Blossom.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Those gifs. Those glorious gifs. :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

(via Greg Brown's twitter)

• Locked thread