Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour
I had an avocado smoothie at a Vietnamese restaurant in Atlantic City once. It was the most delicious thing I'd ever had: sweet and creamy and tasty and perfect. I'm actually kind of glad I can't get them locally as I'd probably drink at least one a day and I'm sure that wouldn't be good for me.

Speaking of odd Asian drinks, if you have a Lotte store nearby try a Vita-Power. It tastes like liquid Smarties candy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I love a nice cup of masala chai. Please don't call it "chai tea" because "chai" literally means "tea".

As for cold I love a good root beer. Forget IBC or A&W, and don't even mention Barq's (it's not actually root beer). Virgil's is a good solid root beer, but for my money the best root beer you'll ever drink is this badboy right here:

Boylan root beer hearkens back to days of yore with an herby, fruity taste, rather than the vanilla based flavor of inferior modern root beers.

Edit: Other Boylan flavors are excellent, I recommend the ginger ale and especially birch beer. Also the lemon seltzer.

Fake Edit: VVV My god, I have to find that. VVV

TerminalSaint has a new favorite as of 08:51 on Jan 27, 2013

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
People have already touted Reed's ginger brew. But THIS poo poo is where it's at.

Apple pie in a goddamn bottle right here.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

I can definitely get behind the people saying simply 'water', I drink nothing but water, unsweetened hot tea and smoothies, but my water's gotta be on the verge of turning into ice. Cooooold.

Mr Ruxpin
Dec 5, 2004

I submit to you, the greatest drink on this spinning ball of mud. Gifted by the gods themselves to the great people of Scotland, and made from girders...

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

NonTimetisMessor posted:

I submit to you, the greatest drink on this spinning ball of mud. Gifted by the gods themselves to the great people of Scotland, and made from girders...

Also the best ads.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NonTimetisMessor posted:

I heard about this from a thread here, located a place that sells it in San Francisco (a shop with nothing but Scottish imports), purchased a bottle, and enjoyed it. It's too sweet for me to drink on a regular basis, but I did think it was surprisingly good.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I love this stuff for some reason. Can't find it near my college though. :(

EDIT: Gotta agree with the people saying water. Can't be bottled water though, has to be purified tap water or it has a weird plasticky taste.

Portals has a new favorite as of 09:15 on Jan 27, 2013

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Back in spain I used to get this "Irish Green" tea from a shop in my neighborhood. For those of you who don't speak Spanish it's green tea with coffee beans, vanilla, cacao, and bits of lactose/milk for some odd reason according to the actual product description. I dunno about that last bit, but I'm just translating it pretty drat literally. It was this weird favor mix of coffee and tea and it was a real nice, chill taste for the mid mornings. Just exactly what you would want when you want to wake up but not be wired.

Also when I was in Granada one time to do touristy stuff with American friends of my family I walked a street bazaar that was selling spices and teas. I got a tea from there that was a green tea with bits of pomegranate, orange peel, rose petals and mint. They called it the Grenada Special because that's pretty much the most stereotypical favors of Grenada.

For breakfast I liked the Irish Green and for afternoons I loved the Grenada Special while it lasted, as I couldn't find a decent substitute in Seville. I miss those two teas so much, nothing I've had in the USA has yet to compare to them.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

People have already touted Reed's ginger brew. But THIS poo poo is where it's at.

Apple pie in a goddamn bottle right here.

There aren't words to describe how fantastic Reed's Spiced Apple is. As a close second though...

Dang! That's Good Butterscotch Root Beer.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012
Since I'm not much of an alcoholic drinker, I have plenty of choices on what my favorite non-alcoholic drink is, but I'm going to whittle it down to my top three:

1) Cranberry juice: Doesn't matter which brand. It's just a good morning drink (and if I want to take some of the edge off, I can mix it with orange and apple juice to make a Blushing Sunrise).

2) Ginger ale: Canada Dry was my favorite, until I tried an actual homemade ginger ale at a farmer's market in San Francisco. Sure, I still love Canada Dry, but it's more out of obligation. I found a recipe for it online for those who want to try it (it's probably not the same as the one I had): http://homecooking.about.com/od/beveragerecipes/r/blbev7.htm

3) Chocolate milk: For the pure nostalgia factor of it. Drinking it takes me back to when I was a kid, and this was one of the few good things about the public school lunches. Mix a little bit of it with root beer, black coffee, or Dr. Pepper and it doesn't taste half bad.

Penny Paper has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Jan 27, 2013

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Milk is not just milk. The difference between the pasteurized-to-death poo poo that can be stored in room temperature for two years that I've discovered that people elsewhere in the world have to put up with, and a carton of Norwegian lasts-a-week-in-the-fridge milk is like the difference between a glass of cola that has been left out on the counter for two days, and a freshly cracked fridge-cold glass bottle of cola. It's one of the things I miss most when I'm travelling, just plain old cold milk - because the crap they have everywhere else is miserable.

Other favourites are Jamaican ginger beer (or any other properly fiery kind) and Apfelschorle, which is a German soft drink that's blessedly easy to replicate at home - just mix apple juice and carbonated water.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Good thread. I don't drink alcohol anymore, and I've recently cut way back on soda and already started noticing some minor weight loss as a result.

That said, I'm a sucker for root beer and cream soda, especially "good" brands -- glass bottles, cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, etc. Don't get me wrong, A&W and IBC are still great, but I always love trying new ones. I'd love to get my hands on that Dang! butterscotch root beer a few posts above mine, or some maple root beers.

The best root beer I've ever had was a New Orleans brand called Big Shot. I don't believe it's even a "good" or fancy brand, just a cheap local brand that also makes a few fruit-flavored sodas. I haven't had it in a decade, but I'll never forget how good it was, creamy and vanilla-y, almost like a cross between root beer and cream soda. I've searched in vain for a place to order it online, and even started an SA-Mart thread begging New Orleans Goons to ship me some (and I'd pay them cost plus shipping plus something for their trouble), and nobody followed through. If you live there, definitely try it for yourself and let me know if I've built it up too much. I don't think I have, though.

I also love fresh-squeezed lemonade, Southern-style sweet tea with lots of lemon, and strawberry smoothies, but I drink water 98% of the time now.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Jan 27, 2013

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Water

I saw Simply brand Lemonade listed on the last page. I really enjoy Simply Orange Juice due to the fact it's only orange juice, but the lemonade doesn't do it for me. It's too sweet in my opinion. The Limeade on the other hand is great.

For lemonade, I go for Newman's Own Light Lemonade. Just the right amount of tartness to truly remind you that yes, you're drinking lemonade.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I would never have said "Water." till a month ago when I visited Vancouver and tasted the most delicious tap water ever. I didn't even know water could be delicious, but it was so mineral-y, it was almost sweet.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tap water is pretty fuckin neato even when it doesn't taste fantastic (and personally I like the local tap water). I mean pretty much on demand you have access to a source of water that is: free of almost every poison (except some that may give you liver cancer or man tits in thirty years), free of harmful microorganisms, tastes not entirely disgusting, and is cheaper than gasoline. Every morning I get up and I shower in water that people throughout history would have killed my rear end to obtain.

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line

Chiba City Blues posted:

Moxie. It used to be a New England thing, then it whittled itself down to just Maine. My family is in Florida now and a chain of Maine-based supermarkets (Sweetbay) has started to spring up around town, and some of them carry it.
It has a bitter aftertaste. The whole soda itself is an acquired taste. I've given it to a few people down here and they say it tastes like fizzy coffee or fizzy cough syrup.

It's still a New England thing. It's in pretty much every grocery store here in Massachusetts (at least in the Boston area), and it's delicious. I still remember the first time I tried i when I was four, with my parents thinking I wouldn't care for it. They described as carbonated motor oil, which is still how I refer to it.

Bad Roy
Jan 29, 2008

Animals are like humans, always being dicks.
English breakfast tea, no sugar, lots of milk. Why, yes, I am British.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Ice coffee, actually. It's like chocolate milk, but for grown-ups.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I have a few more to add on. All of them Korean.

Aloe juice

Tastes like white grape juice with pulp. Incredibly delicious. I always pack one or two of these whenever I'm on a hike. They can come in other awesome flavors, too, like strawberry, guava, or mango.

Sikhye (식혜/食醯)

A very sweet rice drink. Served cold.

Sujeonggwa (수정과/水正果)

A sweet tea or punch generally made with cinnamon and sweetened with persimmon. Also served cold.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

NonTimetisMessor posted:

Hear, hear.

Fun fact: Irn-Bru outsells Coke in Scotland.

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I would never have said "Water." till a month ago when I visited Vancouver and tasted the most delicious tap water ever. I didn't even know water could be delicious, but it was so mineral-y, it was almost sweet.

I've grown up with that fine brew :) I was in LA recently and uuuggh the water there.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Chocolate milkshake, no question.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Arnold Palmers.

Half iced tea, half lemonade poured over lots and lots of ice.

Jayo
Jul 10, 2007
Nescafé gold blend. I love the stuff but I don't like most other coffees much. That or cherry coke.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Aloe juice

Tastes like white grape juice with pulp. Incredibly delicious. I always pack one or two of these whenever I'm on a hike. They can come in other awesome flavors, too, like strawberry, guava, or mango.

They actually sell numerous brands in the US and they're all pretty amazing. Definitely one of my favorite drinks.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Mango-motherfucking lassi. So good.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Dandelion and Burdock.

I'm not sure if this is a thing outside of Britain. The cheap stuff is vile, but the better ones are gorgeous. The one in the picture has a very nice taste of caramelised sugar.

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.
Passion fruit juice (preferably homemade. Just like grandma used to make!)

Hibiscus iced tea

Guarana Antarctica

Ok, I obviously shouldn't have moved away from the tropics.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Soylent Yellow posted:

Dandelion and Burdock.

I'm not sure if this is a thing outside of Britain. The cheap stuff is vile, but the better ones are gorgeous. The one in the picture has a very nice taste of caramelised sugar.

Fentimans is the only brand of Dandelion & Burdock I've seen in the US:

They also make a lovely and bracingly tart Rose Lemonade

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Mexican Coke. You know, that coke in the glass bottles with the labels in Spanish. They use real sugar in it and it's just so much less lovely tasting. I know it's still absolutely bad for you but it's a nice treat when you can find them, often at taco shops or gas stations in the middle of nowhere.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Frozen Mocah Smoothie from Panera makes me happy.

That or Vanilla coke.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Francostein posted:

Mexican Coke. You know, that coke in the glass bottles with the labels in Spanish. They use real sugar in it and it's just so much less lovely tasting. I know it's still absolutely bad for you but it's a nice treat when you can find them, often at taco shops or gas stations in the middle of nowhere.

I've always found that the nice thing about those real-sugar sodas is that they trigger something in your brain that goes "okay, that's enough." You feel more satiated and as a result drink less of the stuff, and more slowly, than you would have otherwise.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Re: Water

Mine is pumped from a well. Not bad, it but has an odd, slightly soapy taste. Probably something to do with the pipes.

My favorite commercial ginger ale is Schweppes. Canada Dry is fine in a pinch, but tastes weaker.

Reed's Spiced Apple is pretty good (a nice slightly fermented edge), but has very little bite, and goes down way too quickly.

My second all-time favorite drink was (when it was available with real sugar instead of HFCS) Bawls Guarana. Tastes like lightly carbonated Sprite with a misty twist. Awesome bottle...

Third-favorite was Rain from Snapple's "Elements" series. A mild and very refreshing beverage made with agave nectar.

Kalinka

Synthetic Hermit has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Jan 28, 2013

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Third-favorite was Rain from Snapple's "Elements" series. A mild and very refreshing beverage made with agave nectar.

Oh man, I forgot about these, do they still even make them?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Lonely Virgil posted:

Oh man, I forgot about these, do they still even make them?

I don't think so. A real shame.

I also miss the old Fruitopia that was mostly fruit juice instead of just another sugar blast...

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, that's just as worst when Sprite Remixes and Minute Maid's Valencia Orange soda were discontinued. :(

I remember Fire being kinda of spicy, maybe my child brain made it all up because it was called 'fire'.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Francostein posted:

It's actually been asked for enough that more and more distributors are offering it to stores in the States, and probably also so Coke has a product to compete with Pepsi throwback. It's also been available at the supermarkets around here for years (foreign foods aisle).

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Plain old tap water is the best. Bottled water if I have too or need some new bottles to fill from the tap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Synthetic Hermit posted:

My second all-time favorite drink was (when it was available with real sugar instead of HFCS) Bawls Guarana. Tastes like lightly carbonated Sprite with a misty twist. Awesome bottle...

When I was in California, I found Bawls root beer in a similar bottle. Good stuff!

• Locked thread