Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Halah posted:

I have quite a handful of coins; I should get off my rear end and take pictures, if for no other reason than insurance. Only a few bills but they are some of my favorites. I don't expect them to be worth sweet gently caress all but the portraits of a much younger Queen are cool.

The first 3 are worth face value in this condition. Your 1954's are the "modified portrait" common notes, had they been "devil's face" they'd be worth a little something, let's say $15-$30 USD each in that grade. What happened was when the notes came out in '54 some people felt they could see a demonic face in QEII's hair behind her ear, you can google this to see how silly it actually is... anyway there was enough of an outcry to change it and in '56 the modified portrait notes started coming out of which there are tons more as the "problem" was fixed early.

The '86 is only worth more than face if the prefix letters before the serial number are ARX,the serial is of course on the other side so it's worth looking, that's the only noteworthy one with the Crow-Bouey signatures.

Al Harrington fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Al Harrington posted:

The '86 is only worth more than face if the prefix letters before the serial number are ARX,the serial is of course on the other side so it's worth looking, that's the only noteworthy one with the Crow-Bouey signatures.

ARZ :argh:

Thanks for the info, though.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I posted in here a while back about this coin, but now I am looking to sell it. I was going to take it to a coin shop that I have dealt with before in town that seems honest and has good reviews online.

http://www.ngccoin.com/priceguide/Series-Detail.aspx?MVDetailID=33

What would be a reasonable offer? It is encased in a plastic case and uncirculated.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
So my MIL has decided she wants to buy gold...

In the chance that I can't talk her out of it, what's the best way to buy actual physical gold and not get horribly ripped of doing it?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Big name bullion dealers like APMEX, JM Bullion, Modern Coin Mart, Silvertowne, and Provident Metals for starters.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
It seems like there is enough demand for a bullion thread. Or maybe there are just not enough numismatists for this topic.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Someone should just make a precious metals thread so it covers both. My stack is about 50/50 anyways, if you count 90% as semi-numis.

Stopped by my LCS today and picked up the only 1oz Engelhard bar they had for $4 over spot. They also had a sealed Engelhard 10oz bar and a loose roll of 1oz Engelhard Prospectors, which was cool.

I also got this awesome 1930 Standing Liberty Quarter for my dad's birthday this weekend. 1930 is the year my grandpa was born in.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 17, 2014

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Big name bullion dealers like APMEX, JM Bullion, Modern Coin Mart, Silvertowne, and Provident Metals for starters.

Yeah. Start with that and look for cheaper stuff locally. Sometimes ebay can yield good results, but I probably would shy away from that until you get a little more familiar with what you are looking for.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Working on a British monarch set. What I've got so far:

http://imgur.com/a/mYzYs

I'll eventually get better photos.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Fun! How far back are you going?

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
As far back as I can reasonably afford. In a week or two I should be back to Queen Anne.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I have an 1852 gold dollar. Can you give me an estimate from cell phone pictures or do I need to use a better camera?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

No clue, but that's a beautiful coin.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

GWBBQ posted:

I have an 1852 gold dollar. Can you give me an estimate from cell phone pictures or do I need to use a better camera?

Hard to tell from the cell phone pictures if it's been cleaned or not, but it has Mint State details at least. From the pictures, I could comfortably appraise it at $200-250. If it's problem-free (i.e. not cleaned/damaged) and Mint State, $300+

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Picked up this for my little bro's Christmas present. I hope he doesn't sell it right away.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ron Don Volante posted:

Hard to tell from the cell phone pictures if it's been cleaned or not, but it has Mint State details at least. From the pictures, I could comfortably appraise it at $200-250. If it's problem-free (i.e. not cleaned/damaged) and Mint State, $300+
I don't think it was ever cleaned based on the condition of everything else in the box with it, is it worth sending out to be graded?

ColonelKlink
Apr 17, 2002

Is eBay a good source for coin value, specifically Morgan Dollars? I have a number of Carson Cities, but two, what I though were Key Dates: A 1903-O in VF-EF condition and a 1895-S in VG condition.

Are they worth less than they used to be, or have I always had an overinflated idea of how much they were worth?

Also, do people collect stamps anymore or did all of the Philatelists die out? Should I trade all of mine in for mid '80s baseball cards and Beanie Babies?

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

ColonelKlink posted:

Is eBay a good source for coin value, specifically Morgan Dollars? I have a number of Carson Cities, but two, what I though were Key Dates: A 1903-O in VF-EF condition and a 1895-S in VG condition.

Are they worth less than they used to be, or have I always had an overinflated idea of how much they were worth?

Also, do people collect stamps anymore or did all of the Philatelists die out? Should I trade all of mine in for mid '80s baseball cards and Beanie Babies?

completed ebay auctions are a good barometer when the listing is coherent and the pictures are not rear end

those two are indeed key dates, as you're calling them word grades and in between word grades I'm guessing they aren't slabbed, these will sell for full value in a heatbeat in a NGC or preferably PCGS slab as it's probably the most collected series, I started with them and moved on to paper money

there's a dark joke where it's said the average age of a philateslist is six feet under, people collect them, groups exist, dealers exist, there's an American Philatelic Society you can google and it lists 600 members and people have sites, it's not something terribly popular and it's not something I'm really familiar with

there was a guy I can't remember his name now but he has a site and he's big into this stuff and also things related to stamps (revenue imprinted paper, like the precursor money orders, etc, I bought a Postal Note (precursor to the money order) on my hometown for $1,500 some years back so all this stuff is worth money to someone still) I can get you his name after the holiday as after I left my old employer a letter came there from him to me it was a flyer for a convention or something and it says at the top "Dear Philatelist" and they thought that was hilarious and I do too really so its hanging on a wall there

I'd look through that dealer listing and see if there's someone local to you, if you have old material like 1800s I'd say it's still worth something, the parent company of PCGS coins Collectors Universe still to my knowledge has another company PSE slabbing stamps so it isnt' entirely dead just not much if any new blood collecting the stuff

*edit* figured it out, it's ericjackson.com

Al Harrington fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 24, 2014

ColonelKlink
Apr 17, 2002

Al Harrington posted:

*edit* figured it out, it's ericjackson.com

Thanks! I used to be really into numismatics, but not since I was younger, I only recently looked through my collection. (I remember when gold was $400/oz.!) I think it'd be a good idea to have them graded, as well as a large 1850's Vatican Scudo (Scvdo?) that I have that looks to be uncirculated.

Thanks for the information about stamps, I have a significantly large collection that I inherited, but have very little education in. It'd be good to know I can get some of the older ones graded if that is an option!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Instagram filters are cool.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006
I'm rolling about 75$ worth of Canadian pennies and I found this http://imgur.com/1vN2P2k

Essentially its a silver colored 1965 Canadian penny, its pictured next to a regular 1965 Canadian penny. Is this worth anything? And if not, what is it? The small letters are the same on both.. KG.

Are there any Canadian pennies between 1940 and 1977 worth looking out for besides?

E: it just occurred to me that maybe someone just hosed with this penny, but doesn't hurt to ask

dahkren fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 30, 2014

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

looks like someone removed the copper layer with chemicals

there appear to be some valuable varieties contained within that date range, see here:

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php

Al Harrington fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 30, 2014

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Im not an expert by a long shot but I enjoy imperial roman coinage so can help identify, translate the legend and roughly value those if anyone wants help and the thread doesn't mind.

A clear picture of the legend (writing) particularly the obverse (heads side) its the best help in coin identification.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

DominusDeus posted:

Working on a British monarch set. What I've got so far:

http://imgur.com/a/mYzYs

I'll eventually get better photos.

Updated the album, added four new pieces. I now have from Queen Elizabeth II to Queen Anne. Need to re-take a couple pictures with my new lens, but that can wait a bit.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Weekly silver purchase.

Silver Dollar coin palm.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

DominusDeus posted:

Updated the album, added four new pieces. I now have from Queen Elizabeth II to Queen Anne. Need to re-take a couple pictures with my new lens, but that can wait a bit.

great images! two guys have put together this website to share coin images and use it as hosting and to show off your collection etc.

I don't have anything to do with the site other than that I'm slowly adding my ancient collection to it (I'm on there as NiceCurrency), it's worth checking out and adding your stuff

https://collectivecoin.com/

Al Harrington fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 12, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

That sounds pretty cool. All of my stuff is more or less catalogged on Instagram but I'll have to check this out.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Al Harrington posted:

great images! two guys have put together this website to share coin images and use it as hosting and to show off your collection etc.

I don't have anything to do with the site other than that I'm slowly adding my ancient collection to it (I'm on there as NiceCurrency), it's worth checking out and adding your stuff

https://collectivecoin.com/

Thanks, I'll give that site a look at.

Any idea on the value of this 1696 William III Crown? http://imgur.com/a/cOjVX

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just made a profile and started to catalog all my stuff.

https://collectivecoin.com/folks/FarMoreBadass/profile

Beautiful.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 16, 2015

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
That's gorgeous. If only it were 1oz.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

WTF have I got here?

It reads Б.Ж. НИКОЛАИ 11 ИМПЕРАТОРЪ (B.J. Nicolai II EMPEROR)
И САМОДЕРЖЕЦЪ ВСЕРОСС?(I have no clue what this last word is, I am guessing it is an abbreviation for "All Russias")

The back reads "5 Rubles, 1901 year"

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 16, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

DominusDeus posted:

That's gorgeous. If only it were 1oz.

They make them in 1oz bars and 1oz rounds as well. In fact I just copped one on eBay a minute ago. High premium but gently caress it.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 16, 2015

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
Holy crap!
My grandfather who passed away almost 15 years ago was a big collector. I thought he just collected stamps and some precious metals. But, when my mother found out about my addiction to buying roman denarii she bequeathed me his US coin collection and I'm still having an orgasm over this. I still have to catalog it, and I'll post it all here when I'm done but this is loving amazing.

From a bigass 1852 penny, all the way through bi-centenial quarters (i know aren't valuable) and eisenhower dollars with everything in between. I've got a pile of indian head pennies, and even a 1857 eagle penny! mercury dimes, V nickels, steel pennies out the rear end, buffalo nickels, pre-64 dimes and quarters, wheat pennies and even two super tiny civil war coins I don't even know wtf they are (just has a star of david design obverse and united states of america printed in the legend)

I am so loving excited, I can't wait to figure out what all this is and share it with everyone!!

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Very cool! It sounds like you have a couple of civil war tokens there, not something I'm really familiar with but if you're enjoying everything else they should be fun to find out about. I'm pretty sure I sold you a roman republic denarius some months back on here :)

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

SeaWolf posted:

Holy crap!
My grandfather who passed away almost 15 years ago was a big collector. I thought he just collected stamps and some precious metals. But, when my mother found out about my addiction to buying roman denarii she bequeathed me his US coin collection and I'm still having an orgasm over this. I still have to catalog it, and I'll post it all here when I'm done but this is loving amazing.

From a bigass 1852 penny, all the way through bi-centenial quarters (i know aren't valuable) and eisenhower dollars with everything in between. I've got a pile of indian head pennies, and even a 1857 eagle penny! mercury dimes, V nickels, steel pennies out the rear end, buffalo nickels, pre-64 dimes and quarters, wheat pennies and even two super tiny civil war coins I don't even know wtf they are (just has a star of david design obverse and united states of america printed in the legend)

I am so loving excited, I can't wait to figure out what all this is and share it with everyone!!

It sounds like those super tiny civil war coins could be silver 3 cent coins. They're pretty cool and can be pretty valuable.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004

Keldoclock posted:

WTF have I got here?

It reads Б.Ж. НИКОЛАИ 11 ИМПЕРАТОРЪ (B.J. Nicolai II EMPEROR)
И САМОДЕРЖЕЦЪ ВСЕРОСС?(I have no clue what this last word is, I am guessing it is an abbreviation for "All Russias")

The back reads "5 Rubles, 1901 year"

It's a 1901 Russian 5 Ruble coin! You said it yourself! It has 0.1245 ounces of gold, but it's worth more than it's bullion value. It's gold value puts it somewhere between 150-160 dollars, but it's actually worth somewhere in the 200-225 dollar range. It's circulated so you don't have to worry about babying it. You can hold it in your hands and what not, but resist biting it.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Jimmy James posted:

It sounds like those super tiny civil war coins could be silver 3 cent coins. They're pretty cool and can be pretty valuable.

Cool!!! Out of everything I've looked at that's probably the single most valuable coin by far even in its current condition. Unfortunately it's decently worn, and even more unfortunately a wee bit bent :( But still valuable I'm sure.
Also found an 1834 British 1 1/2 pence. And that's got a punch through it probably to string it around a chain so that definitely knocks the value but still a cool piece.

Gonna photograph and post them all when I have some time when I'm not stupid busy, so probably this weekend!

Didn't think I cared this much about US currency but I'm as excited as I'd be every time I pick up a new ancient coin.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

If you come across any Morgan or Peace Dollars or Engelhard bars in your grandpa's collection that you wanna sell PM me.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Jimmy James posted:

It's a 1901 Russian 5 Ruble coin! You said it yourself! It has 0.1245 ounces of gold, but it's worth more than it's bullion value. It's gold value puts it somewhere between 150-160 dollars, but it's actually worth somewhere in the 200-225 dollar range. It's circulated so you don't have to worry about babying it. You can hold it in your hands and what not, but resist biting it.

Dope! Thank you.

:ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

All the $17-$20 Peace Dollars and Morgan Dollars on eBay seem to have disappeared. The premiums must have gone up along with the POS.

• Locked thread