Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I've recently started going through a box of coins my mother had collected. She basically took anything that seemed old or unusual and put it in a box for many years. Before her death, she volunteered with the elderly and she told me that some of them had given her their old coins. I've been a casual collector for years, much like her, keeping anything old. I'm finding things in her collection that are surprising me because I think they are more valuable than she thought.

Here are a couple that jumped out:

1794 Cent. At first I thought that this was a copy, but it really seems real. It's hard to photograph it in a way that really shows the color, but it's your standard penny brown with a little luster on the edges. I never even handled an 18th century US coin before.

Also, a Five Dollar gold coin. The first gold I've actually owned.

Any ideas as to the values? Should I get the cent professionally graded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Thanks for all the info. I'm slowly going through the coins and photographing the ones that seem interesting to me. This is the only other 18th century coin I've found so far. It seems pretty worn but I think half cents are less common than cents, maybe.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Ron Don Volante posted:

What's the edge of the coin like? Is it smooth, are there ridges or indentations, or are there letters on it? There are 3 major edge varieties for that particular half-cent, and their values differ tremendously.

The edge is smooth. It doesn't look like there were letters or ridges that have worn away.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Thanks, photography is my main passion so I've got good equipment and experience to take nice shots. I sell things on ebay regularly and, you are right, good photos will boost the price.

That said, I'm not in a rush to sell the coins. I want to make sure anything I have that is really valuable is cared for and stored securely at this point. I will probably post more questions in the near future.

Thanks again!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Ron Don Volante posted:

That's a 1794 large cent, Head of 1793 variety, in what I would probably call choice-VF condition (30+ on a 70 point grading scale). The color looks nice and I don't see any problems, which is rare for early large cents. The market's pretty thin so estimating a value is difficult but you're probably looking at the $500-1000 range. At that price, getting it professionally graded starts to make sense (grading is relatively expensive) and will boost the price. PCGS, NGC, or IGC are the ones you should consider.

Follow up time. I took the cent to a local coin shop that has a good reputation among collectors. They were pretty excited about it and asked me to leave it with them (with a receipt) so the owner could take a look at it. They called me back the next day and said the owner recommended getting it graded. They would send it for grading and then make me an offer when it comes back. If I sell to them, they pay for the grading. If I keep it, I just have to pay that fee, so that's what I did.

About a week later they said it had been graded but they hadn't gotten it back yet. The owner offered $1200 for it. I asked what the actual grade was and the guy I talked to said he didn't know but would find out if I wanted to know. I told him I would wait until I see it in the slab to decide anything. Turns out it was graded as XF40 and they upped their offer to $1700. They say it's the head of 1794 variety and from what I can see, that goes for around $5000. I know the coin shops have to make some money but.... I declined to sell it.

So, my question is, can I really expect to get $4500 - $5000 on the market from a collector or am I just doing some wishful thinking?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I've never sold anything on eBay worth more than a few hundred dollars. I fear the auction and Paypal fees would be killer, not to mention how eBay can totally screw over sellers sometimes. I'll look into that Heritage site, I don't personally know any collectors who would buy this coin from me.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

How much is a 1943 steel cent worth? I got it in change at the 7-11 and immediately recognized it when I was turning out my pockets later that day. Recognized it in the sense that I said to myself "Is that a dime?" and "Wasn't there a one-cent coin minted during WW2 that was made of steel?" It has no mint mark and is in okay condition. I'm not looking to sell it, just curious.

Probably about 20 to 50 cents for a circulated steelie like that, if you could find a buyer. Even in mint condition I think they go for less than $20. So many people saved them back then that they are not even remotely hard for a collector to obtain.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Maybe it's just me not being fully awake yet, but I find it really amusing that currency itself is subject to capital gains tax.
I never tried spending a large cent as currency, but I imagine the standard clueless cashier wouldn't even accept it as a penny. :downs:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

If I want a poor condition 1968 quarter I'll just hit up the change machine at the car wash.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

It is worth face value pretty much. Those things never circulated much so anybody who wants a nice example can get one easily. Supply and demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

It seems like there is enough demand for a bullion thread. Or maybe there are just not enough numismatists for this topic.

• Locked thread