Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I am starting to get into precious metal collecting and obviously turned to coins first. A few years ago my grandma gave me a 1921 Morgan Dollar and last week my mom gave me two pre-1965 Quarters and a pre-1965 Dime. I also have a good 50+ pre-1982 copper Pennies.

None of the silver coins are rare, so they are just worth their silver value. My question is if coin roll hunting is as lucrative as YouTube videos make it seem. I see videos of guys finding a few silver Half Dollars per $500 but is that rare? Or does it matter greatly if there are already people at your bank hunting?

EDIT: I just looked closer at the Morgan and its a 1921-D. :D

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Holy poo poo websites like APMEX and eBay are virtually useless when trying to buy silver. By them time you buy a 1oz American Silver Eagle or a Morgan/Peace Dollar you are spending an extra $10 in profit for the company and shipping. Guess I'll only be coin roll hunting and hitting up tag sales.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

There's a coin store near my house I should check out. There won't be 20 people trying to outbid me and maybe I can haggle them down a little. I know coins have collector value but I just want to start a silver and gold collection and US Mint coins seem more legit than bars minted by private companies.

Also -- Has anyone seen the copper and silver Zombucks? They are neat.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Do you guys collect silver coins for their numismatic value or for the silver content? I'm trying to decide if it'd be better off long term too have a stack of .999 1oz American Silver Eagles or a stack of 90% Morgan/Peace Dollars and/or Barber/Walking Liberty/Franklin Half Dollars.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

True that. I just won a bid last night on a 1922 Peace Dollar for $24.50 shipped. Its a little dinged up but I care about the silver value the most even though the numismatic value is a nice addition. Placed low-ball bids on a roll of Franklin Half Dollars and a lot of 5 Franklins.

I don't really want to collect anything lower than silver quarters so I put my 1951 Roosevelt Dime on eBay for $1.50 shipped.

Here are some cellphone shots of my Morgan Dollar and two Quarters:

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 25, 2013

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just got both of these for $25 each shipped to my door via eBay, but of course I have to pay PayPal fees.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I went to the local coin shop today for the first time. American Silver Eagles were selling for $25. That's pretty much what you can get for one shipped on eBay. Silver is $20/oz this minute. Is $5 too high of a markup for a brick & mortar store?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Hmm that's good to know then. They had ungraded American Silver Eagles of various years for $25 each. I'm trying to decide of I want to collect every year or just buy the newest and shiniest. I know the 2014s come out in January. I think I might try and sell my two silver Quarters and silver Peace Dollar on eBay and use that money to invest in another Silver Eagle or two. My grandma gave me her Morgan Dollar so I wouldn't sell it.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It's a better deal than going into Best Buy and seeing a $2 USB car charger for $35...

Amazon supremacy.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Went back to the coin store today and I traded my banged up silver Peace Dollar and two silver Washington Quarters for a 2012 American Silver Eagle. Told them about the Zombucks silver and copper rounds since they had never heard of them. They also said they would buy my old broken 14K gold necklace, which I'll probably just trade for as many American Silver Eagles as I can.

Heads:

Tails:

My Collection:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Ev posted:

My grandfather passed away recently and before he died, he handed off his collection of coins and paper money to me. I gave it to my dad because that was his wish, but I don't think he thinks it's worth figuring if there's anything valuable there. Not that we want to sell it, but I'm curious.

It's a big collection and I have no idea where to start. There's paper money circa the revolutionary war, maybe some from the confederacy too. Is there a site that lists reputable dealers that would be open to trying to evaluate/assess the collection? I was going to try it myself but it's just too much for me to take on right now with work and the holidays.

There are a few coins that he gave me separately from the rest of the collection and I may post pictures of those here at some point too, they're old gold coins, but that's a different matter form the bulk of the collection.

If you come across any Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars or silver rounds/bars let me know.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

So for Christmas my uncle gave me his entire coin collection from when he was younger. I've sorted through everything but am still cataloging it. He are some pictures so far.

A Matron Head Coronet Cent from from 1817 and a Braided Hair Coronet Cent from 1851.

1941 and 1942 Silver Walking Liberty Half Dollars.

1891 Silver Morgan Dollar.

1923 Silver Peace Dollar.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

EDIT: Does someone who knows more about coins and paper money wanna make a thread so I can stop photo-bombing this thread?

Sorry about the double post but I just took some more pictures.

Ten 1964 90% Silver Kennedy Half Dollars.

Ten 40% Silver Kennedy Half Dollars.

3 Silver Barber Dimes and 1 Silver Mercury Dime.

An 1865 3¢ Nickel.

Going to sell/trade the silver dimes and the 3¢ nickel as I prefer the aesthetics and physical weight of larger coins. How much do you think I could get for all 5 coins? I'd be happy with $20.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 27, 2013

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Went to the coin shop this afternoon and traded in all my junk silver coins except for dollars and half dollars. Combined with an old broken 14K gold necklace I was able to get $141. I picked up 5 American Silver Eagles, a bunch of airtight cases and got the rest back in change. Right now my stack consists of 7 American Silver Eagles (2007-2013), 2 Morgan Dollars, 1 Peace Dollar, 4 Eisenhower Dollars, 3 Walking Liberty Half Dollars, 10 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars and 10 1965-1970 Kennedy Half Dollars.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

BUMP:

Picked up this beauty the other day. They are limited runs so they are more expensive than your typical round, but I love them.

2017 Zombucks Morgue Anne $50 1 oz .999 Fine Silver

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Mescal posted:

So non-silver Eisenhowers are worth face value. But they're not in circulation. Is it possible to buy them in quantity at near face value?

Check out eBay. My local coin shop likes to give back those and other non-precious metal $1 coins in change.

I traded in 10 40% Kennedy halves, some Walking Liberty halves and anything that wasn't .999 bullion or 90% 1964 Kennedy halves for another 10 1964 Kennedy Halves for a complete 20 roll.

I was at my parents' house a few days ago going through my old toy bin when I came across an old broken 14K necklace I had from when I was in elementary school. Took it to my LCS and they gave me $93 for it. Picked up three ASE's - 2006, 2005 and 2004.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Its hard to say. Do you have a microfiber cloth? I would try using one to wipe away and loose excess grime on it. Don't use anything abrasive like a paper towel. Take it to your local coin shop and see what they say. Or take it to eBay and see what the people bid on it. I like to clean my copper pennies with lemon juice and salt but you DO NOT wanna do this with a key date penny.

Post pics after your wipe is down a little with a microfiber cloth.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

If you are into silver and zombies check out the Zombucks line at Provident Metals. I just picked up their 1st design the Walker on eBay. They just released their 3rd design the Zombuff.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Picked this up the other week.

Here is a roll of 1964 90% Kennedy halves.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Looks like a 2 oz .999 silver bullion round.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Picked up a few things... :)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Got this beauty in the mail today:

I think I'm going to put a hold on silver with high premiums for a bit and start buying generic rounds. I also really want a roll of Franklin halves.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My roommate showed me these today. They don't seem to have much resell value on eBay since they are just brass. Still cool nonetheless.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Took a half day at work today so I was able to go to my local coin shop before it closed. Picked up my first 2 ever Franklin halves. By far my favorite 90% numi. Both are 1963's and I plan on completing a roll of 20.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

My LCS charges $9 + tax. The cheapest I can find on eBay are like $11 shipped.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Stopped by my LCS today and picked up another 8 Franklin halves to make a half roll.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Finally completed a pound of copper pennies (3 rolls). I have a habit of looking through all my friends and family's spare change all the time now. While replacing what I take of course.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 24, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Don't you hate when people poke holes in coins for necklaces?

Also is anyone here interested in foreign coins and paper money? I have some coins and cash from Aruba, the Bahamas, Portugal and other random countries that I'm not interested in keeping. If anyone is curious I could snap some pictures of them tomorrow and post them here.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

I'll jump into this.

Received a few dollars of quarters as a tip recently. Five of them range from 1954-1964.

They're not in great shape, so I figure they're worth more as scrap. What's a real world value for them, and the best way to sell them?

Check out this website: http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

It gives you an up to date price on the melt value of silver coins as the price of silver changes throughout the day. Right now they are worth about $3.62 a piece in silver but they sell for higher on eBay (of course you need to factor in fees and shipping). Coin shops will probably only pay you melt value so if you need to throw $18 into your gas tank or something one day stop by one. If not, just store them away and forget about them for a decade. :)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Jimmy James posted:

I like foreign coins since I collect almost exclusively european coins. What type of stuff are we talking about? They'd have to be pretty nice to justify shipping.

I ended up throwing it all up together on eBay starting at 99 cents + shipping.

On that note, I got paid today and since the POS dropped about a dollar in the past couple weeks I was able score another five 1963 Franklin Halves for 50 cents cheaper a piece than last time. Only need 5 more to complete my roll.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Sold.

Anyone up for some trading?

I have two Engelhard Prospectors that were bought from APMEX that I'm looking to trade. The 1982 has the E reverse and the 1985 has the Eagle reverse. I'm looking to trade for five Franklin Half Dollars (preferably all 1963) and $.75 FV in 90% US coinage (your choice) or $12 via PayPal.

They will be shipped in plastic sleeves in a padded envelope via USPS. I will only add tracking if you do as well. Unfortunately I only have access to my cellphone camera so excuse the poor quality photos. I can take additional pictures if needed. PM me with any questions. Thanks!

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 27, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Holy poo poo that's a good deal. I got started stacking this winter so I am super excited to go to tag sales this Spring/Summer.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I have a small Connecticut railroad token that is just collecting dust. First one to PM me their address can have it for free.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 3, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Not a bad score. 5 ounces of government issue silver for $97.74 shipped. APMEX was having a sale on eBay and eBay was kind enough to give me a 15% off coupon as well. Another 3 ASE's and I'll have a full roll. Then I can start stacking some gold. :D

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 3, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I think its just the standard size for dollar coins. The Sacagawea dollar is 26.5mm in diameter as well.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Do you have a picture of it? My LCS sells average circulation non key date Morgans for $25 a pop. Try to avoid eBay if you can since everything is overpriced because of the 13% fees and shipping costs.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Also, be sure to check out Coinflation. They have all the mintage numbers for each coin/year/mint location as well as an estimated price depending on the condition. They also give you an up to date price on the melt value of the coin as the POS and POG fluctuate. I try not to pay more than 16x face for junk silver, but that excludes silver dollars which carry a higher numismatic value compared to lower denomination coins.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 16, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Your Morgan Dollar looks like it's in pretty good condition. The other dollars you are referred to are the Peace Dollars. Being newer they have less numismatic value than the Morgans are are usually a little cheaper. I don't really stack silver dollars but I have a few from my grandma and uncle.

1921-D

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I have no clue about what it'd be worth in terms of grading. I mainly stack coins and bullion for the silver content alone.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I just sold a small amount of foreign coins (not silver or gold) for 99 cents on eBay but the buyer is from Italy and I doubt he's gonna pay the $16 shipping fee. If he backs out you can have them for a dollar + shipping if you're interested. I'll keep you informed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

So apparently they just decided on a new image for the reverse of the American Silver Eagle for either 2015 or 2016. I like the design except for the extra text at the bottom. Justice, Integrity, Service my rear end.

• Locked thread