Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
My incomplete (due to lack of $$) Dansco 7070 album:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Ron Don Volante posted:

Yeah completing a type set can be a pretty substantial investment, especially with the pre-Morgan silver dollars. Looks like you've got a good start though. Thanks for including both the obverse and reverse, I took my best stab at grading them and giving a rough valuation.

Thanks for going through all that. The peace dollar is one of the first coins I ever got, and it was payment to my grandmother for a dozen eggs durring the Great Depression (my grandparents on my dads side were born in 1894 and 1913, dad was born in 1959 (my grandfathers "last squirt" was apparently the joke) and died last November. And I was born late 1981). Or so my dad always said. The 1859 IHC is another of the firsts. It was the only "surviver" of my dad and his parents house that burnt (before I was born).

I used to have an ANACS Trade Dollar, but had to sell it several years ago. Wish I hadn't. I've yet to get a replacement, as it was the only one I had. I've also yet to own a 20 cent piece. :(

I plan on getting some small coin stands this payday, setting up my light box, and taking some much better photos of my better coins, plus stuff not in my Dansco, including a couple large sized notes, and a 1499 dated 2 stuiver. A dated coin from a time when Columbus was still alive is awesome. About the same feeling I get from that 1798 cent in regards to Washington. I want another 18th century US coin, but drat those are expensive.

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 6, 2013

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I've inherited a bunch of coins that seem to be nothing more than proof sets and commemorative coins that appear to be worth little. I did find five rolls of what look like uncirculated quarters and I wanted to see if anyone thought they were worth more than face value.

It's 65, 66, 67, 79 & 80.

The 1979 one appears to have been struck through a piece of wire.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Rusty Shackelford posted:

What does that mean?

http://coins.about.com/od/coinsglossarys/g/Struck-Through.htm

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Working on a British monarch set. What I've got so far:

http://imgur.com/a/mYzYs

I'll eventually get better photos.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
As far back as I can reasonably afford. In a week or two I should be back to Queen Anne.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

DominusDeus posted:

Working on a British monarch set. What I've got so far:

http://imgur.com/a/mYzYs

I'll eventually get better photos.

Updated the album, added four new pieces. I now have from Queen Elizabeth II to Queen Anne. Need to re-take a couple pictures with my new lens, but that can wait a bit.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008

Al Harrington posted:

great images! two guys have put together this website to share coin images and use it as hosting and to show off your collection etc.

I don't have anything to do with the site other than that I'm slowly adding my ancient collection to it (I'm on there as NiceCurrency), it's worth checking out and adding your stuff

https://collectivecoin.com/

Thanks, I'll give that site a look at.

Any idea on the value of this 1696 William III Crown? http://imgur.com/a/cOjVX

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
That's gorgeous. If only it were 1oz.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
So, I've been a bit busy... Some new stuff:

Currency:

National Currency, The Charleston National Bank, Charleston WV
Twenty Dollars, Charter 3236, Series of 1929, B000404A (Error: binary serial not found)
Obverse | Reverse

Gold Certificate, Ten Dollars
Series of 1928, A55270286A
PCGS Fine 15
Obverse | Reverse

Silver Certificate, North African Emergency Issue
Ten Dollars, Series of 1934 A, B07687256A
Obverse | Reverse

United States Note, Two Dollars
Series of 1928 D, D11183006A
Obverse | Reverse

Silver Certificate, One Dollar
Series of 1899, M34423955A
PCGS Fine 15
Obverse | Reverse

Silver Certificate, One Dollar
Series of 1923, V57211311D
Obverse | Reverse

United States Note, One Dollar
Series of 1928, A01303969A
Obverse | Reverse

Silver Certificate, Hawaii Emergency Issue
One Dollar, Series of 1935 A, S48255587C
Obverse | Reverse

The rest of my notes can be seen here.

Coins/bullion:

20 Francs, France, 1906

20 Francs, Belgium, 1870

20 Francs, Switzerland, 1927

Rest of the coins/bullion (all silver) are here.

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 7, 2015

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Couple more ounces of silver:

My photography "setup" is a Nikon D7000 with an 85mm Nikon macro lens, a light ring, a piece of white cardboard (inside of a snack cake box...) set on my laptop, and small coin easel, and hand-held (I don't have a copy stand... yet). No editing has been done to any of my images aside from cropping. I generally use ISO 100 or 125, 1/60 or 1/80 of a second exposure, and f-20.

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 7, 2015

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Provided it's authentic, around the $900-$950 range, maybe more if we can get good clear images. Those contain 0.48375 troy ounces of gold. At the current spot, it has about $565.50 worth of gold in it.

[edit] Probably less on the price. Here's one on eBay with a BIN of $882: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1912-S-10-Indian-Eagle-NGC-AU-55-/351334997837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cd329f4d

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 7, 2015

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
You'll probably get a bit more for it by selling it online than a coin shop. First step is better photos. Even with a current smartphone, you can get decent pictures. Did this with my iPhone 5S.

DominusDeus fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
I don't think Google Wallet has fees. And there are at least two subreddits on reddit (yeah, yeah, reddit) that are specifically for selling coins and precious metals: /r/pmsforsale and /r/coins4sale

• Locked thread