Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I know this thread trends towards US currency, but thought I'd ask anyways:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_money

Mine:

I got them semi-by-accident while buying a lot of used books, they were neatly wrapped inside one of the boxes. While it'd be fantastic if fate just handed me some 2400 year old coins, I'm assuming these are some of the many copies made for souvenirs (esp during/immediately after WWII, which would easily explain them ending up here in VA). But I figured no harm in asking, if anyone can even take a look at that bronze itself and immediately judge for me "nice paperweight" or "holy shitballs woman you got Zhou dynasty poo poo there". I need rent and would hate to let these go for a song if they're in any way valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

AuntBuck posted:

Likely fakes, though still an interesting item. This page has a photo of the genuine article. Yours has very similar characters, but you can see on the example the characters are stamped, not raised, and look much more primitive:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67107

Haha, yep, I actually already read that thread (I got the info about WWII souvenirs from the 3rd post down :blush:). Just figured I get a second/nth opinion, y'never know*. The stamped vs. raised thing is a great point though, thanks!

*I once worked at a charity thrift store. We got donated a hokey, amateur-looking painting that turned out to be worth $4000 once somebody finally figured out the signature. After that, we couldn't put any art on the floor without a good googlin'. Never hurts to check anything out, no matter how unlikely imho.

edit:

Uncle Jam posted:

According to that page the common real deals only go for about $50 anyway. China probably has an endless supply of really old things floating around.

Eh, I asked the coin dealer at my market his opinion, and he said if it was legit, then closer to the $200-400 range. Same for that thread AuntBuck posted, which was $400+. :shrug: (Not knockin' yer post, just reminded me of some advice I got from SA couple years ago when selling a rare comic book: "it's worth what's it's worth to someone")

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 9, 2014

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

AuntBuck posted:

They're so rare in the US, that's gonna make pricing difficult anyway. It's gotta be worth something as a WWII souvenir. Do you have a scan of the other side? Just out of curiosity.

Sure thing! On closer inspection, it looks like a mirror image of the characters on the obverse. Genuine articles seem to have differing patterns on the sides, so that'd make it all the more likely that the A/T thread on Chinese language has correctly translated the old school characters on the box as "ancient Chinese coin paperweight". :(

Ah well, still a neat item for my shop. Thanks for everyone's replies!

Reverse:

(and for side-by-side comparing, here's the obverse again:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

On a visit to my parents last week, my dad gave me the foreign and oddity coins from his/his father's collection. Still sorting thru 'em (nothing's mounted), there's a weird bit of everything from 1937 swastika-festooned pfennigs to Missouri sales tax coins. Anyone need a whole roll of 1944 farthings, or parking tokens for various cities in Pennsylvania? :catstare:

Anyways, this guy's got me stumped:

A free Homestead, PA Chamber of Commerce parking token for the numisgoon who IDs this! :P

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thank you! :tipshat: (and I was serious on that offer; PM me with your address and I'll send you a coin for your collection if you're interested)

Edit: heck, while I'm scanning and slapping these up on Imgur, I'll put 'em here for y'all, too. Nothing too special, but maybe interesting for the coin enthusiasts itt.

Tokens:

Old school Francs/centimes:

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 2, 2014

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jimmy James posted:

As a Californian, I think that Los Angeles railway token is fun. A cool little piece of LA history.

Yeah, I have a soft spot for transit tokens myself, so I love those. That's kinda how I actually came into this collection; I mentioned buying a Newport News token at the flea market, and my dad said "oh I have a bunch of old tokens and coins, lemme get those out of the basement for you". Score!

Here's the aforementioned German coins:

edit: crap, I know, I always forget to flip at least one coin in all these group pics

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 2, 2014

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

How do y'all ship coins that you're selling? I just sold a Canadian large cent on eBay and got hit on shipping. Didn't think a tiny padded envelope would cost $2.32, but I guess USPS considers padded envelopes a "package" even though it was a 3x5" envelope that weighs less than an ounce. :argh: Is it acceptable to mail coins in regular envelopes as long as they're in cardboard holders, so I can charge letter rate vs package rate?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jimmy James posted:

lots of awesome info

Thank you! I have a collection that I'm trying to sell off, and this will be very handy. :tipshat:

(On that note, if anyone is big into non-US coins or exonumia, I got that in spades for sale. And I really need gas money to go see my dying mom 500 miles away (I swear to :toxx:, I am not making that part up; I will post the gas station and hospital parking receipts from VA and NY if need be), so if there's anything y'all itt are hunting for, please PM me)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Al Harrington posted:

are any of the non US coins pre say 1700?

Nah, they're pre-WWII, a few 19th century, for the most part. My crown jewel, so to speak, is this gold Ottoman Empire coin from 1865, like this fella:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turkey-Otto...=item233954344f

Am I better off trying to sell something like this on eBay, or a local dealer? I can't afford to get it graded, the whole point of me selling it off is to get :20bux: x n to fill my Kia's tank.

quote:

and to ship coins I do [advice]

I thank you as well for the shipping advice!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thanks guys! Also, I sometimes totally forget about SA-Mart :doh:, thanks for the reminder the. Scanning more stuff and working on that post now.

Here's a nifty oddity. Tl;dr is, commemorative coin, plated in Alaska gold, acceptable as currency only in Alaska until 12 noon Thursday, Dec 31st 1959.

Click for massive:

So, would one consider that exonumia, even if it was accepted as legal tender for some time?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

E/N time in the coin thread, of all places...

So in one of my last posts here, I mentioned that my mom was dying of the fuckin' cancer. Well, mom died May 15th. I went up to NY a couple weeks ago to help my sister clean out mom's house. Going through her bookcase I found out, to my surprise, that she'd been collecting the state quarters in a binder. No idea mom had an interest in that, go mom. :cheers:

She was only missing the 2008 Oklahoma. I've been checking every single quarter that comes across my hands since, but no joy.

Figure other numisgoons are like me and compulsively check the dates on their coins before handing them to the guy at 7-11 or throwing them in their piggy bank. If one of y'all has or finds an Oklahoma in good shape, I will gladly pay you shipping + $1. It doesn't have to be super pretty, I just want mom's binder complete.

Y'all have been super helpful in this thread with my questions, so I thought I'd check here first. I'd rather pay someone itt $1 for a quarter than Random Person On eBay. :)

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 13, 2014

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

:3: Thanks to the goons who offered me their quarters via PMs! I'll be sure to post the completed binder once that Oklahoma space is filled in. I was very close to mom, so it's been hard going thru all her stuff, divvying it up with my sister, etc. And knowing mom, it probably bugged her that she was just one quarter shy before getting too sick to do anything. This has been so kind of y'all, it's like the goon equivalent of bringing over a casserole to the mourning family. Sincere thanks. (And as goon the has posted upthread, I will eventually give you something nice in return!)

On a cheerier note, check out this swank 1924 .5 silver Peruvian Sol my dad gave me on that last trip to NY:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

So who wants to see a goonette's bald beaver? :haw:

No, really, that's what they're called, apparently.
http://nwcoin.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_961_893&products_id=10288

I got a jar of Canadian change from the 60's thru 90's from a friend who'd moved from northern upstate NY, where Canuckistan currency is often passed along as "eh, good enough" when it comes to change. This thread taught me that Canadian dimes and quarters minted pre-1968 have some silver, so I was picking through them and found this guy. While a 5 cent, the shape's a little different from modern 5 cent pieces, so I looked it up and... yeah. Bald Beaver.

As long as we're talkin' Canadian coins: I have a 1929 5 cent, and it appears to have two variants, "near" and "far" rim. I've been studying pics and can't tell the drat difference. Any help?

Mine:

And here's what's supposed to show the difference (scroll down a bit for their comparison):
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php?coin=5-cents-1929&years=5...

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I have a ton of Canadian change from a relative who lived in upstate NY, where Canadian coins used to be passable currency for small purchases. (When I was a kid in the 80's you gave your Canadian change to the lunch ladies for your 9 cent carton of chocolate milk :corsair:). He gave them to me when he found out I collect coins. I already picked out the somewhat valuable ones, and now I'm left with this jar of coins. I'm rear end-broke and want to turn them in for whatever they're worth in good ol' 'Murrican dollars. Where do I go for this? Google's suggesting hotels and such when I search for "currency exchange [my city]", but I'd guess they're talking about bigger amounts than a couple Mason jars full of small change.

For that matter... since Canada eliminated the penny, are those worth ANYthing now beyond raw metal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

If it's not a derail go back to photography chat: someone once mentioned ITT that photographing coins was preferable to slapping them on a scanner. Why is that? I really suck at taking pics. And it's just so much easier to put coins on the scanner, boop, they're instantly on my pc for any tweaking necessary.

As an example, here's the last pic I posted, done on my scanner:

How would using a camera improve that? Any tips on photo'ing coins would be appreciated! FWIW the camera is a Fuji S4300.

• Locked thread