Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I recently helped a relative move and they gave me a coin we found at the bottom of a drawer because "it might be worth something." I know poo poo all about any of this, so any information regarding its value would be greatly appreciated.

Date - 1912
Denomination - 10 Dollars
Mintmark - S
Condition - Not too terribly scuffed or scratched as far as I can tell.

I snapped some bad phone shots if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

DominusDeus posted:

Provided it's authentic, around the $900-$950 range, maybe more if we can get good clear images. Those contain 0.48375 troy ounces of gold. At the current spot, it has about $565.50 worth of gold in it.

[edit] Probably less on the price. Here's one on eBay with a BIN of $882: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1912-S-10-Indian-Eagle-NGC-AU-55-/351334997837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cd329f4d

That's...significantly more than I was expecting. I suppose now I'll have to go through the trouble of figuring out how to sell it.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Al Harrington posted:

I question its authenticity

Should I look for some local coin place to get it appraised then?

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
The official word from the coin dealer I saw this morning is: not counterfeit, just well worn. He seemed surprised and said they usually are more pristine, but he threw out a quote of ~500 so I guess it's legit. I'm still not particularly looking forward to dealing with eBay or some such thing.

• Locked thread