Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
My great-grandfather gave me some old coins from around the civil war era. I've always wondered if they're anything special.

I have the following pennies:
1861, wear typical of coins I'd see in circulation but everything visible
1858, barely visible, eagle instead of indian on the front
1859, extremely worn
1882, 7 punched in the front, much thinner than the earlier ones
1858, pitting on the back, well worn
Three too worn to determine year, one with a cross stamped on it.
I didn't see a mint mark on any of these. Do you know where I would look?

There is a 2 cent coin from 1864, extremely worn with a 64 stamped into the middle of the seal.

He also included some non-American coins that I don't recognize. How valuable is defunct currency like communist era Eastern european, pre-Euro western european, or old Hong Kong money? Any time I had a relative go overseas I've always asked them to bring me some pocket change back so I have a bunch of old international coins and bills sitting around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread