Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

So my grandpa left me these coins:

They're all definitely circulated, probably completely devalued but it'd still be awesome if you could tell me what I've got. Except please don't say anything good about the 1885 :10bux: because I actually lost it on the bus the day he gave them to me :suicide:

Also sorry for the poor image quality, these are photos I took some time ago and I had to use my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Boring Canadian coins? What about the glow-in-the-dark DINOSAUR quarters? Those are cool as a moustache. Also, the 1958 silver dollar has an awesome totem pole on the front.

I got one of those dino quarters and it's awesome. It's the coin that inspired me to start a science/space themed coin collection!

Thanks for the info Ron Don Volante! Can I ask though, I'm trying to understand something. I've seen rolls of coins, pennies and such in collectors' shops and I can't figure out how they're collectable. I mean, they're not necessarily that old, they're just uncirculated. Is that fact alone enough to justify them going for like 5x their face value?

Coin grading and collecting is a bizarre world but I've always found it very interesting and some coins are just gorgeous to look at.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

dino. posted:

TELL ME ABOUT DINO COINS. :)

Oh they're 2 25c coins issued by the Canadian Mint, one in 2012 and one to be issued in 2013 as part of the Prehistoric Creatures series. The 2012 coin was minted in 25,000 pieces and featured a Pachyrhinosaurus Lakustai while the 2013 one features a Quetzalcoatlus and will be issued in 30,000 pieces. Oh, did I mention their skeletons glow in the dark? I didn't? Well they loving do! Even though their metal is pretty cheap (it's a nickel-copper alloy) they sell on ebay for 2-3 times their mint price (29.95CAD).

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Ron Don Volante, since you don't have PMs can you send me your email please? Or just shoot me an email to vasilis.tsatsaris@gmail.co,

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

So uhh, the way this thread has evolved, is this the right place to show off our collections? Even if they consist of not-old, not-American coins?

Thought I'd ask before I post a massive image-heavy post!

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Unless someone wants to make a thread in the hobby section or whatever, I've been posting my collection here.

Yeaaah it's probably best to make a numismatics thread in DIY & Hobbies. I'll see if I can get around to it later, hopefully lots of folks here won't mind me quoting them for the OP.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Can you make it for both numismatics and bullion? I have more of the latter.

Yeah, absolutely. The way things are going I'll probably put it together this weekend, work's been kind of hectic. If you'd like to write a few words and PM me for the OP it'd be appreciated since I'm relatively new to numismatics and I don't trust myself to write something too in-depth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Ok, so I made a thread about all this in the DIY & Hobbies section! The OP is a little :effort: but I did what I could. Any additions to it would be appreciated and I'll try and update it as much as I can. Hope to see you all there!

• Locked thread