Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

w0nka posted:

Second is a 1999 New Jersey Quarter with a misprint (missing 'R' in 'CROSSROADS'.) Never sure how misprints affect value. In either case, pretty neat.

Thanks.

It's not missing, it's just quite faint, and so this isn't going to be worth that much. It happens when a bit of debris gets caught in the die, and it's relatively common. It's not the same as a 'misprint' where the die was set up incorrectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
I'm sorry if you already covered this, but what are the basic rules about patina and cleaning up a coin? Is it always best to leave it in whatever condition you find it in? My mom has some old copper coins with the green verdigris on them, and one some the features are slightly obscured by it.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Ron Don Volante posted:

Nine times out of 10, you don't want to clean a coin as that will decrease its value. Most patinas are considered a natural result of the aging process and should be left untouched, as cleaning often causes more problems than it solves. But if you're just keeping the coins for yourself and aren't likely to resell them, there are a couple of gentle cleaning methods you can use on copper coins. One is soaking the coins in olive oil or distilled water (fresh water each day) for a period of days before gently rinsing it off. Another method is to stick the coin inside a potato overnight. Whatever's in the starch (I'm not strong with chemistry) will break down the grime. You may want to try a test coin first though, as the potato method can sometimes turn your coin black instead.

All that being said, I just want to reiterate that cleaning a coin can dramatically lower its value and polishing coins is even worse. But if you are going to do it, those are probably the least harsh methods.

Yeah, I've picked up a lot of coins over time but I don't have any desire to sell them. I mainly just want to see what's under that crud on my mom's coins.

• Locked thread