Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

fivre posted:

Sub $100, something attractive. Probably not gold in that case, it should be something I can lose without breaking the bank. Guessing there's no database where you can filter down by diameter, material, weight, and such :spergin: parameters?

Specifically, if I wanted to get this Gogol coin, where would I go looking? Is it easier to just drive up to my local coin dealer and ask them to find it for me?

That Gogol coin is probably going to be tough to find, it only had a mintage of 5000. I tried searching for it on Ebay and the closest I saw was this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUSSIA-2-ROUBLES-1994-Silver-PF-NICKOLAI-GOGOL-WRITER-/320966899520
That one had a mintage of 250,000 and was selling for $30, so I imagine if you did find the Gogol coin you want it will be a lot more expensive. I would set up an Ebay saved search for "gogol 2009" in the coins category just in case it shows up. Other than that, you'd probably need to find someone that specializes in Russian coins to see if they can get it. Buying foreign medals/commemoratives like this is tough since you usually can't just order them from the foreign mint's site.

For coins similar to a silver dollar in size and <$100, you could look at pre-decimal British crowns with cool St. George slaying the dragon reverse, or old Japanese 1 yen coins(ebay doesn't have a separate category for them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Uncle Jam posted:

Speaking of really worn down coins, is there an accepted way of getting the detail off of worn coins? Like stereoscopic microscope, laser scan, to identify details?

If a coin is in that bad of condition, even knowing the details isn't going to make it worth much. For my own coins I just try pencil rubbings, or using a flashlight at different angles to try to highlight details I wouldn't otherwise see. I've heard of people using acid to bring out dates on buffalo nickels, but that's only because dateless buffalos are basically worthless so even a cleaned nickel is worth more than it was before.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Jimmy James posted:

Where is the best place to buy coins? Ebay is convenient, but you can't always see/feel what you are buying. I have gone to some estate sales the past few weeks and bought some coins for 10-20% below price guide values (but it seems like nobody is actually paying for what price guides recommend). Local coin shops seem to be pricey. Has anyone really tried out buying stuff at auction?

If you can find a coin show that's probably the best way, going to a big show like the Long Beach Coin Show is pretty awesome because there are tons of vendors covering the whole range of coins. Modern, ancient, US, foreign, you can find just about anything. Also since there's so many vendors in one place you can easily comparison shop to see how much things should sell for.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

The Crooked Warden posted:

The official word from the coin dealer I saw this morning is: not counterfeit, just well worn. He seemed surprised and said they usually are more pristine, but he threw out a quote of ~500 so I guess it's legit. I'm still not particularly looking forward to dealing with eBay or some such thing.

If you're near a reasonably large city there's probably a coin show sometime during the year, that way you can see a bunch of dealers all at once. For the shows I've been to in Norcal and Socal the entrance fee is usually only a few dollars, even less if you print out a coupon from their site. Well worth it when you're trying to sell something worth hundreds of dollars.

• Locked thread