Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby
Off on a bit of a tangent here, but along the same line of collectibles.

This was a trial/sample product issued to select USPS offices back in 1998, was never put on the shelves for sale, and from the best info I can gather it was ordered to be destroyed. I happened to be at present at the right time and place to be given a full set plus 1 duplicate and that's literally all they were ever given.

Never seen them anywhere else, no official history about it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Antifreeze Head posted:

That's a nifty thing, and it seems there is a place you can start digging for some info. It was among some other products mentioned by the Postal Regulatory Commission back in 2002. Here's the full thing: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2002-12-03/html/02-30539.htm and a snippet below (emphasis mine).

It seems to be a rather remarkable coincidence between your username and the very website you should probably snoop around on: https://www.prc.gov

That actually is one of the thing that makes it more complicated. The "First Class Phone Card" thing that existed prior to 1998 and afterwards was their pre-paid phone card thing. A piece of wallet-sized plastic and nothing more.

This thing is basically like a normal postcard, with a great big stamp sticker on the front and calling card info underneath. Never seen anyone else with one, never seen anyone who even knew what the hell it was. Which makes it even more difficult to even attempt to place a value on it :)

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Here's something pretty :)

Meiji 9 (1876) 1 Sen coin with square scales.

And just for kicks:

Old Chinese coins. All of it's Qianlong, with the exception of the bottom-center which is Jia Qing. All of em minted in Beijing by Board of Revenue, apart from the top left (in reverse markings photo) which is Beijing Board of Public Works.

Ran across this stash a few years back, which gramps got when an uncle of his passed. Turns out, this rear end in a top hat ancestor in his early years ran off to Japan and China. Beating me by well over 100 years. And what the hell,

Fucker beat me to that as well :(

So much for being the first in the family to do anything :(

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Xenopus posted:

The tarnish on it can be removed pretty easily, but that's not something I'd recommend unless you know what you're doing. You'd want to do it non-abrasively, like using the method of boiling it in a pan with baking soda (for reacting, not scrubbing) and aluminum foil, or giving it a brief bath in household ammonia.

I'd never do that, you're removing patina and it's not a pricey coin to begin with. I'd never advise cleaning it. Leave it as is.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Alfalfa posted:

How old does a US proof set need to be to really start being worth something valuable?

I've been collecting coins since I was a kid, but have a ton of those as they were Christmas gifts from my grandma every year.

Silver sets and regular sets

Age doesn't determine value as much as rarity and condition do. Common silver's worth scrap + premium and not much more.

canuckanese posted:

I have a 1972 gold dollar, Eisenhower on the front, eagle on the back (hes chillin on the moon). No mark for what mint it's from. I'd have to find it to take a good picture but its in pretty good condition. A little worn but everything is clear and distinguishable.

It's gold plating, it's not plated at the mint and if it was actually rare in any way, the gold plating would bring down the value as it is considered damaged. You got a novelty coin that's worth more than $1 only to someone who doesn't know anything about coins.

Pro-PRC Laowai fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Shere posted:

I was working my retail job today and when counting the drawer I noticed something odd in the pile of Nickels. I thought it was another bit of foreign currency that worked its way in, but instead it turns out it was an incredibly roughed up 1897 Nickel. Somebody must have had it in for Lady Liberty unfortunately because there are about 5 knife point stab marks all around her face. The thing is clearly burned as well but I suspect that would wash off without too much work. The markings on it are all still clear and I don't suspect it's worth anything especially given the condition, I was mostly just in awe at how old it was and that it managed to live in circulation that long. There's no mintmark to my knowledge. Did I stumble upon something pretty cool?

Like a buck or two tops. Might get a few bucks extra to the right buyer. Don't try to clean it up.

• Locked thread