Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I was working my retail job today and when counting the drawer I noticed something odd in the pile of Nickels. I thought it was another bit of foreign currency that worked its way in, but instead it turns out it was an incredibly roughed up 1897 Nickel. Somebody must have had it in for Lady Liberty unfortunately because there are about 5 knife point stab marks all around her face. The thing is clearly burned as well but I suspect that would wash off without too much work. The markings on it are all still clear and I don't suspect it's worth anything especially given the condition, I was mostly just in awe at how old it was and that it managed to live in circulation that long. There's no mintmark to my knowledge. Did I stumble upon something pretty cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Well, speaking of Buffalo nickels, guess what turned up in my store today:

Right is the aforementioned Libery Head, left being the new find. Of course the date is rubbed off which appears to be a design function of the damned things, which I assume torpedoes its value but otherwise I'm pretty happy. Mintmark is hard to see in blurry phone photos, but it's very clearly D under the buffalo.

Maybe I should start a nickel collection! Do you have any suggestions for tastefully displaying coins while also protecting them?

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 21, 2013

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I thought about display options and eventually went a little arts and crafts about it. I went to a local craft store and grabbed a nice (deeply set so there's plenty of room for coins) desktop tri-fold picture frame, a couple sheets of blue foam and some black felt for backing. I used some identical sized but less valuable coins to draw holes on the foam, cut out some snug holes for my coins and now they're sitting pretty nicely on my desk in the frame. Since you can only see one side, this works better if you have two of the same coin so you can do one facing each way. I can take pictures if anyone's interested.

The frame is faced with glass and there shouldn't be anything harmful to the coins in the foam or felt. I'm just guessing here though. They sell double sided frames, but they're generally made to press two sheets of paper together, not enough room for a coin. Plus I feel like scraping glass directly against them is a bad way to go. Mine are just in a nice soft bed with glass in front of it.

demonachizer posted:

I am hoping that someone might have an idea where to look about these.

I have a pair of slightly over half ounce 28 kt gold medallions (over one ounce total from both) from the USSR commemorating the Luna-9 space missions. I will post a picture tomorrow but I am wondering how difficult it will likely be to find any info about them. I have brought them to a couple coin places and they were really interested in buying them but also said they had no idea about their worth etc. so were offering scrap price...

I am thinking that they must have some value beyond scrap to someone interested in space poo poo but maybe not.

I've only just started this coin thing but in my searching I can say that the 'problem' with gold stuff is that gold has shot up so much in value that except in extreme outlier cases most of it doesn't have collectible value that exceeds the melt value. Unfortunately I don't know where you could start with those, but pictures might help match them up to something online.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Here's what I have so far:

There's plenty of room to work with things too, like you could put small labels under each one if you wanted. I just kind of slapped it together as a proof of concept, the spacing is a bit off and the cutting a little sloppy. Though the foam is rather forgiving, especially if you cut small - the coin will just stretch things to where they need to be. I cut out an extra hole for whatever Nickel I get next, I centered the half dollar high in the middle so I could put either a dollar coin or something large-ish down on the bottom. The right side I'm not sure yet. I still have some foreign coins kicking around, but the idea of a :911: USA :911: coin display appeals to me. The foam sheets come in tons of colors and ran like 39 cents per pre-cut sheet, felt was even cheaper. The frame itself was about $8. No glue or tape or anything involved, just need some decent scissors. Also CLEAN THE GLASS before re-assembling everything.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 2, 2013

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

The only thing about the Luna 9 medal I could find on the internet was some obscure forum post:

quote:

These medals were created by Moneti Dvor - literally the Leningrad mint - to commemorate events important in the USSR at the time. These were minted in .900 fine gold and as this piece attests to, is 10 grammes in weight or just less than 1/3 of an ounce. The crazy part of them is that until the 1990's it was impossible for citizens of the then USSR to own these and most people would have never known they were created - because they were only sold to foreigners through Mezhnumizmatika in Moscow. They were sold at ridiculous prices then so sales were not voluminous. Prices on them are literally just about melt value because no real market for them has yet developed, I have bought some similar medals myself for melt because the market is just not there yet for these. But I consider them a diamond in the rough, they were minted in small quantities, not many sold, the remainders were destroyed and collectors in Russia still largely don't know about them.

Who knows how factual that is, but it might help.

edit: Matches up with the information found here. Specifically speaking it's #20 on this poster. So it was part of a series of souvenirs exclusively for visitors.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 3, 2013

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I have to say, that 1896 Morgan Dollar has some really pretty coloring going on. I'd love to see the back of it.

Someone came into my store today and paid for $10 in movies (bad ones, trust me) with Eisenhower Dollars. I and a coworker bought them out of the register at face value, which the owner was more than happy to allow since they're huge and inconvenient on the register report. I'm assuming they're pretty much worth face-value, and they're all 74-78 (I got 4 bicentennials, a '74 and a '78), but man I love the design on the non-bicentennial ones. Space-fascinated America was pretty sweet. I see modern dollar coins all the time (even the presidential series ones that just got sorta discontinued), but it's pretty cool to get a nice hefty old-style dollar coin. Believe it or not, I had never actually seen on in person before.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Are Kennedy halves worth anything more than their silver melt value in barely circulated condition? I got a 1969 (D) today and it's in really nice shape, most of its original luster intact, no blemishes.

(Someone bought Minority Report and paid exact change using it. I don't know either.)

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

codyclarke posted:

I also have hundreds of buffalo nickels, almost all of them without a date, maybe a few with dates.
I love this thread and nickels so I want to help too!

The year on those rub off incredibly easy because the year is like the highest part on the design. It happened even with normal circulation, so most buffalo nickels turn up that way. Of course, this means any without year aren't worth very much (almost nothing). If you had any with a visible year (even if only partially visible) you might do well to post the year/mintmark for those because there are certain year/variation combinations that can be valuable. I think 1937-D is a key date/mint combination, because the buffalo in that one only has 3 legs :v:. There are a few others, like 1918-D, but it's best to just post about what you can.

edit: any with even a partial year will fetch a couple of bucks at least.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 2, 2013

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

I'll jump into this.

Received a few dollars of quarters as a tip recently. Five of them range from 1954-1964.

They're not in great shape, so I figure they're worth more as scrap. What's a real world value for them, and the best way to sell them?

You might have the best luck selling them as a lot on Ebay. Just scope out what other successful sellers are dumping them for. I'm a rookie at this stuff but even for a rough silver quarter you could probably snag $4-5 - melt value right now is around $3.50, which is what you'd get if you went to a coin shop I suppose.

The silver quarters are popular because they're both a considerable amount of silver and also a well portioned amount. Perfect for people who imagine themselves as silver kings during the next great depression.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 25, 2014

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I think the value of these is pretty well set, but I'm pretty happy to have gotten this for $5 today at a garage sale.

For content: what should I be looking to spend for a common date 2 cent piece with good details? Ebay is all over the place.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

One like yours, with the laurels, ridges, and date intact, can go for about $15-20. 1866 is a common date, the second year that one was minted. Wasn't very popular, surprise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Well, mostly! The 3 cent nickel you have came about because the Civil War triggered mass amounts of precious metal hording. The 3 cent silver that preceded it, which was mostly created for buying postage, fell victim to the hording. So the Mint came up with the copper/nickel 3 cent nickel to use instead, and since it wasn't made of anything worth a drat, it never really caught on. This was made worse by the fact that a dime is basically the same size as it.

• Locked thread