Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Listened to the entirety of TTPD:TA while working today. To me, the stand out track by far is I Can Do It With A Broken Heart. It's catchy, relatable, and is just generally fun despite the subject matter. I think it especially stands out in comparison to the rest of the album, which is generally pretty mopey. (There's nothing wrong with mope; I just think that 2 hours of it is a bit rough on first listen.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/pastemagazine/status/1781432759631700336?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

VikingofRock posted:

Listened to the entirety of TTPD:TA while working today. To me, the stand out track by far is I Can Do It With A Broken Heart. It's catchy, relatable, and is just generally fun despite the subject matter. I think it especially stands out in comparison to the rest of the album, which is generally pretty mopey. (There's nothing wrong with mope; I just think that 2 hours of it is a bit rough on first listen.)

That was hands down my least favorite song. It’s the exact kind of song that doesn’t work when a billionaire’s singing it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/q3zqJs7JUCQ?si=7m_UZxg34lPbJObZ

Song is growing on me but the highlight of this video is Posty being kinda handsome without the face tats and Taylor being kinda handsome with the face tats

edit: So High School’s production is amazing and she should make a whole album that sounds like that

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 20, 2024

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

To lighten the mood, here’s Chappell Roan dressed as a butterfly telling someone (presumably an ex or a man) “gently caress You!”

https://twitter.com/reneesohot/status/1781486472841101636?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

edit:

https://twitter.com/idreamaboutit/status/1781490208564756666?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 20, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Taylor needs to call up Max Martin and make some goddamned bops again PLEASE

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The album actually has decent pacing to it and its actually not that bad since its so long. My issue is that a lot these lyrics are trash. The Jack Antonoff of it all, I thought it would be more boring but it is what it is. There are some sonic highlights here for me, but the rest feels like its for the fans. The whole second disc worth of songs, I'm barely getting through right now and its fine. I think people will absolutely be relistening to this and it has a ton of replay value for fans. I'm just curious to see how it will perform compared to her previous stuff.

https://twitter.com/ghostijn/status/1781241979080184086

like what is this poo poo man lol

Oh no, she is a goon.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Alright I’ve made my normal length (13 of course) track list out of the clay we’ve been given:

Fortnight
The Bolter
So High School
Chloe or Sam or Sophia or Marcus
So Long, London
I Look in People’s Windows
Florida!!
Guilty as Sin
loml
I Can Do It With A Broken Heart
Peter
I Hate It Here
Clara Bow

Bonus Track:
thanK you aIMee (only because my sister‘s name is Amy so Taylor singing “gently caress you Aimee” is funny to me specifically)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Valentin posted:

i actually do not think this album is particularly self-serious ("daddy i love him and i'm having his baby", the double suicide threat line, etc.) but she can't ever, EVER for one second pretend its not in total seriousness because she sees it as essential to her commercial success that people really believe in the life narratives she sells. so instead she released a weird sprawling double album that's half "here's me explaining the PR version of my last three relationships (because i know that's what we're all here for) over incredibly boring jack antonoff soundscapes" and half, like, actual songs a person could listen to, and it all has to be played absolutely to the hilt because god forbid for one second the narrative not look right.

I disagree. Swifties taken the readings too far and try to analyze every song as if it’s all autobiographical, and it feels like that has become the normalized discourse around her music. This is the same woman who sang “karma is a cat purring in my lap because it loves me.” She’s goofy, awkward, nerdy, and self aware of her absurdity.

I feel like more of the ridiculous lines in the songs work better in context, like the Charlie Puth line in the title track.

There’s also been little pieces of the songs that have grabbed me, like the opening to Farewell London.

That said, I do think dropping 31 songs at once hurts people’s perceptions. Even if it was all good, it’s still a lot to take in. It’s like Cowboy Carter. Something more focused would be a better listen, but with streaming, artists don’t need to edit.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
it has taken me nearly 24 hours to get through taylor’s new album. oof. some of it seems okay? it’s weird and i can’t quite put my finger on what it is exactly that isn’t clicking. is all of it this forgettable that i’m not sure if i even liked one song??? :sigh:

maybe it will grow on me in the next listen? some of the lyrics are good, emotional, but it all just kinda flows together into one 2 hour song? drat.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Have now listened to it a few times. The songs that jump out most to me are Guilty as Sin?, The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived, The Tortured Poets Department, Cassandra, Chloe/Sam/Sophia/Marcus and But Daddy I Love Him (that last one proves everyone who says this album has no bops is wrong)

Revised Album Rankings:

1. 1989
2. Folklore
3. Speak Now
4. The Tortured Poets Department
5. Red
6. Lover
7. Reputation
8. Midnights
9. Fearless
10. Evermore
11. Taylor Swift

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://x.com/JessicaSimpson/status/1781337122517004796

Threats are being made

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pragmatica posted:

it has taken me nearly 24 hours to get through taylor’s new album. oof. some of it seems okay? it’s weird and i can’t quite put my finger on what it is exactly that isn’t clicking. is all of it this forgettable that i’m not sure if i even liked one song??? :sigh:

maybe it will grow on me in the next listen? some of the lyrics are good, emotional, but it all just kinda flows together into one 2 hour song? drat.

A lot of it feels like Midnights leftovers but also folklore and evermore leftovers as well. Just double dipping into these last few projects she's had. Makes it all same-y

Cemetry Gator posted:

I disagree. Swifties taken the readings too far and try to analyze every song as if it’s all autobiographical, and it feels like that has become the normalized discourse around her music. This is the same woman who sang “karma is a cat purring in my lap because it loves me.” She’s goofy, awkward, nerdy, and self aware of her absurdity.

I feel like more of the ridiculous lines in the songs work better in context, like the Charlie Puth line in the title track.

There’s also been little pieces of the songs that have grabbed me, like the opening to Farewell London.

That said, I do think dropping 31 songs at once hurts people’s perceptions. Even if it was all good, it’s still a lot to take in. It’s like Cowboy Carter. Something more focused would be a better listen, but with streaming, artists don’t need to edit.

Sure, but no matter how nerdy and awkward she is, THIS LINE STILL SUCKS

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The album actually has decent pacing to it and its actually not that bad since its so long. My issue is that a lot these lyrics are trash. The Jack Antonoff of it all, I thought it would be more boring but it is what it is. There are some sonic highlights here for me, but the rest feels like its for the fans. The whole second disc worth of songs, I'm barely getting through right now and its fine. I think people will absolutely be relistening to this and it has a ton of replay value for fans. I'm just curious to see how it will perform compared to her previous stuff.

https://twitter.com/ghostijn/status/1781241979080184086

like what is this poo poo man lol

I think it’s funny that for such an easy album to find legitimate criticisms for, people are trying play gotcha with out of context lyrics like this

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Listened yesterday, didn't love it. Listened today, liked it way, way more. I think somewhere in this Pretty Good double album there's a Very Good single album, but I'm glad this one seems like it's gonna grow on me the same way Midnights did.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

I think it’s funny that for such an easy album to find legitimate criticisms for, people are trying play gotcha with out of context lyrics like this

Even in context this lyric is still bad! And its not the only lyric on the album that is a gotcha. Off the top of my head you got the charlie puth line, you got the touch me while you play grand theft auto line and so many more. That one lyrics I shared is indicative of the writing on the whole thing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Even in context this lyric is still bad! And its not the only lyric on the album that is a gotcha. Off the top of my head you got the charlie puth line, you got the touch me while you play grand theft auto line and so many more. That one lyrics I shared is indicative of the writing on the whole thing.

Literally no one except you apparently is talking about the actual lyrical element to this line in the larger verse they’re saying “lol why would anyone want to live in the 1830s” as if that was the point

Also the grand theft auto line is good just like “Karma is a cat purring on my lap cause it loves me” is a good line

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The bit where she compares herself to Jesus is something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can’t believe Tay wrote a song about how cool the 1830s and slavery were and that she declared herself a deity.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
the "scout's honor" line was pretty great imo

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Literally no one except you apparently is talking about the actual lyrical element to this line in the larger verse they’re saying “lol why would anyone want to live in the 1830s” as if that was the point

Also the grand theft auto line is good just like “Karma is a cat purring on my lap cause it loves me” is a good line

if you think that line is good just because of the context surrounding it be my guest man.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I think it's a bad line and it sound even worse in the actual song.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m not even saying the line was good I’m just saying eveyone out there is clipping that one line and being like “ah how dumb she wants to live in the 1830s” like those people who heard the line “refuting my Jewishness” in a speech about someone decrying Israel and immediately went red with anger and stopped thinking and started yelling

I don’t care if people criticize but there’s so much bad faith talking about this album that I end up having to defend poo poo I don’t even like because everyone else is engaging with it in the stupidest possible way on purpose. Thats not happening in here obviously, but there’s a lot of people who aren’t even listening who see that line out of context and just assume it confirms their priors.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not sure clowning on Taylor is the same as calling Jonathan Glazer an anti-Semite, honestly

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

No poo poo but it’s the most immediate example of people willfully misreading a thing for their own ends, I’d be happy to accept other examples

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to the album again, and like...it's fine, but why would I want to listen to 2 hours of this when I could listen to better albums she's put out like 1989 instead?

e: Oh my god, it just goes on and on and on

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 21, 2024

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m not even saying the line was good I’m just saying eveyone out there is clipping that one line and being like “ah how dumb she wants to live in the 1830s” like those people who heard the line “refuting my Jewishness” in a speech about someone decrying Israel and immediately went red with anger and stopped thinking and started yelling

I don’t care if people criticize but there’s so much bad faith talking about this album that I end up having to defend poo poo I don’t even like because everyone else is engaging with it in the stupidest possible way on purpose. Thats not happening in here obviously, but there’s a lot of people who aren’t even listening who see that line out of context and just assume it confirms their priors.

you dont have to defend terrible writing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The lyrics feel like someone told an AI to write a Taylor Swift album.

Ultimately, I think there’s an editing step in the usual process that got missed here due to the tour and other time constraints.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As bad as some of these lyrics are I think they're right at home in pop music just not "the greatest lyricist of our generation, apparently."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
they can’t all be last american dynasty

in fact, they almost always aren’t

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i love folklore but it’s so funny to me how the cover is like “wow, look how big these trees are”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

It’s nice that in addition to not being on that label any more, Kesha seems to be more places this year than in the past

https://twitter.com/kesharose/status/1782152595563303200?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I like Pitchfork's description of the Taylor album: "She throws stuff at the wall even after something has stuck, picks up the things that didn’t stick and uses them anyway."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'd consider my self a Swift fan. Not a huge swiftie but I enjoy her bops. The new album is... whatever. Not terrible not great. But *my god* the Swiftie reels that are on my insta are insanely cringe. Like... these people are very very unhealthily obsessed with 100% buying into the entire narrative and feeling like they need to protect her.

but they're also fun to watch so they keep popping up

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Taylor is my friend and I would die for her :hai:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Rarity posted:

Taylor is my friend and I would die for her :pray:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010