Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

Do you think Psy will have another hit in America? I guess if he's able to come up with another ultra-memetic video it might take him all the way to number one under the new rules, but that obviously remains to be seen.

I don't doubt he'll try but the thing about memes is that they're impossible to force. The second you become the least bit conscious about what you're making, everyone watching can tell that you're standing outside with a mayo jar trying to catch lightning. Only the first time was a mayo jar, the second time it's some gigantic mayo jar-shaped contraption with lightning rods and conductors and flashing lights that everyone can see for miles and miles, and then not only will you fail to attract anything, you'll look stupid for bothering. People can smell desperate pandering and we don't like it a bit.

I know tons of artists with huge songs that would seem hard to follow up on manage to do so, but the internet meme aspect changes everything. I can't quite explain the difference between someone like Psy and then someone else like Gotye or Carly Rae Jepsen trying to get a second hit (though I don't think Gotye's shooting for it, and Jepsen managed to if you count her feature on Good Time, which I do because it turned that song from an elementary-school-dance jam into a junior-high-dance jam) but I know it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's interesting that of the three artists who dominated the Hot 100 for close to half of 2012 (and with their debut entries on the chart, no less) only fun. were able to score a reasonably big follow-up hit.

Gotye was and in some respects still is an anomaly, but it's weird that Carly Rae Jepsen couldn't chart a "Some Nights"-level solo follow-up after her breakthrough single. I remember last November when the Official Charts website published their usual article listing potential contenders for the Christmas number one, they suggested that "This Kiss" could be in with a chance, so I take it there were serious expectations.

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

please allow me to introduce myself i'm a man of wealth and taste
I'm pretty shocked that Carly Rae Jepsen didn't get another hit. Kiss was a surprisingly solid cd all-around.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

pug wearing a hat posted:

I'm pretty shocked that Carly Rae Jepsen didn't get another hit. Kiss was a surprisingly solid cd all-around.
Yeah, it certainly isn't for a lack of quality. Kiss as a pop album is already a modern classic with many potential singles, and the ones they have selected as singles so far have been good choices. This Kiss for all intents and purposes should have been an even bigger hit than Call Me Maybe, even if the clumsy product placement in the video was rather ill-advised. Fortunately she's back on track with the video for Tonight I'm Getting Over You, taking a page out of the Teenage Dream/We Found Love/The One That Got Away hand-held, washed-out realism playbook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBOE1aUNZVo

Joramun fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 30, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Joramun posted:

Yeah, it certainly isn't for a lack of quality. Kiss as a pop album is already a modern classic with many potential singles, and the ones they have selected as singles so far have been good choices. This Kiss for all intents and purposes should have been an even bigger hit than Call Me Maybe, even if the clumsy product placement in the video was rather ill-advised.

Well, I can't attest as to the quality of the songs because I haven't listened to the album, but the issue that interests me is why they haven't been hits. You'd think somebody who recorded Billboard's song of the summer, one of the biggest hits of 2012, would have had less trouble getting played on the radio.

As it transpired, "This Kiss" fell far short of the Top 40 in America and it didn't even crack the Top 100 here in the UK. It's just, what happened?

Maybe we're looking at it the wrong way; maybe instead of pondering why "This Kiss" wasn't a hit, we should ask why "Call Me Maybe" was.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Metal Loaf posted:

Maybe we're looking at it the wrong way; maybe instead of pondering why "This Kiss" wasn't a hit, we should ask why "Call Me Maybe" was.

Doesn't this get back to the meme issue? Wasn't "Call Me Maybe" kind of a meme?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think its video was distinctive in the same way as "Gangnam Style" but there were definitely quite a few parodies (the Cookiee Monster version, "Share It Maybe", for example) that probably helped it along.

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

New Florrie song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fIllISLx3M

It is perfect.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Florrie is super cool, but the first EP is the best thing she has done. It's hard to top that.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Yeah, her first EP was killer. This new song is really awesome though :D

I didn't see this till just today.

New Charli XCX - What I Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsqNvy9v93s

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Florrie is super cool, but the first EP is the best thing she has done. It's hard to top that.

I prefer her second EP, the three middle songs are all amazing. Her best tune is probably Left Too Late though. Anyway, I'm really hyped about her proper album because I love her :allears:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Miley Cyrus's wondrous new single with Snoop Dogg Lion was just released, and it's amazing. Very No Doubt-ish. Now this is how you do a career reinvention.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Joramun posted:

Miley Cyrus's wondrous new single with Snoop Dogg Lion was just released, and it's amazing. Very No Doubt-ish. Now this is how you do a career reinvention.
It's really good yeah, although I like the Miley bits a lot more than the Snoop bits (is it him? doesn't sound like how I remember)

Her sister is still better though :colbert:

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

I must be a bit behind on my British because Florrie hadn't crossed my radar yet. Thank you so much for this, I absolutely love it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
She has three EPs that are all well worth listening to, and hopefully an album coming out soonish

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

I prefer her second EP, the three middle songs are all amazing. Her best tune is probably Left Too Late though. Anyway, I'm really hyped about her proper album because I love her :allears:

'Left Too Late' is her best song and the album is going to be great.

I've been blasting the Tegan and Sara album again. 'Shock to Your System' continues to be the best song - the synth flourish thing in the chorus makes me shake uncontrollably.

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

Florrie's two best songs are Experimenting With Rugs & To The End

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Oh my God. I'm surprised to see even Florrie mentioned here. I thought almost no one knew about her :D
I've been fan for the longest time, and I was supposed to see her back in 2012 but I couldn't make it. Her newest song is really awesome, but my favorite is still I Took A Little Something. There's just something about that piano in the background.
Anyways. Are there any Gaga fans here? I've seen her twice. First time with the Monster Ball, and the second with the Born This Way Ball. Both were incredibly awesome, and I really can't wait for ARTPOP to be released so I can see her again.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

I still love BTW as an album even now. It's so awesome/fun. I've seen her 3 times now, and unfortunately her BTWBall date was cancelled THE DAY BEFORE :gonk: I was so upset, but sad for her at the same time (plus I was getting in for free >_>), so I wasn't terribly caught up on it.

Seeing her at Lollapalooza a couple years ago was a really awesome experience. The Gaga crowd is definitely pretty unique.

Edit: By any chance is anyone here going to Coachella? There are gonna be some killer pop folks there: Grimes, La Roux, Janelle Monae, Jessie Ware, Tegan and Sara, Two Door Cinema Club, Passion Pit, and Bat for Lashes are just the ones that I'm interested in seeing, there's definitely a bunch more.

Sai-kun fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 5, 2013

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

I love Lady Gaga. Still haven't seen her live.

I'm still bummed the Gaga/Kanye tour from 2009 never happened :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember there was this unbelievably stupid shitstorm over the release of Born This Way. What happened was, Amazon priced it at 99 cents for a few days in its first week of release, which helped to push it over the one million mark in its first week on the album chart, and her detractors still won't let her live down. It's kind of like the pop music equivalent of stereotypical classic rock teenager YouTube commenters.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist
Artpop... sigh, ARTPOP... kind of disappeared. If it was still going to be out by spring, it probably should have been announced by now. Anyone have an idea what's going on with that?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Christmas Jones posted:

Artpop... sigh, ARTPOP... kind of disappeared. If it was still going to be out by spring, it probably should have been announced by now. Anyone have an idea what's going on with that?

Gaga was hospitalized for a while after she had hip surgery, and there haven't been any updates for a while. I'd guess mid-late summer at this rate.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

pug wearing a hat posted:

I love Lady Gaga. Still haven't seen her live.

I'm still bummed the Gaga/Kanye tour from 2009 never happened :(

Does anyone know if the reason they canceled the tour was really because 50 Cent was like "Gaga and Kanye? Das Gay." ? Or was it a little more involved than that?

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

SgtScruffy posted:

Does anyone know if the reason they canceled the tour was really because 50 Cent was like "Gaga and Kanye? Das Gay." ? Or was it a little more involved than that?

I think it was because of the backlash after Kanye interrupted Taylor Swift's acceptance speech at the VMAs. not 100% sure though.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

I'm excited/nervous that Zedd has a hand in producing ARTPOP. On one hand, I loving love both Gaga and Zedd, but on the other, I don't think Gaga's voice is suited for the kind of production Zedd normally does.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Sai-kun posted:

I'm excited/nervous that Zedd has a hand in producing ARTPOP. On one hand, I loving love both Gaga and Zedd, but on the other, I don't think Gaga's voice is suited for the kind of production Zedd normally does.
This post made me very confused until I looked up Zedd.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zedd posted:

This post made me very confused until I looked up Zedd.
I thought you were thinking of Lord Zedd until I noticed your username.

"After 10,000 years I'm free...time to conquer pop!"

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Blodskur posted:

I thought you were thinking of Lord Zedd until I noticed your username.

"After 10,000 years I'm free...time to conquer pop!"
Rita Repulsa is the proto-Nicki Minaj.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Haha loving uncanny.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On a recent visit to PopJustice, I was accosted by an article about a new boy band called Union J, who were apparently the One Direction of last year's series of The X Factor, except there are only four of them and I think one of them is gay.

I wonder what their prospects are. I'm pretty sure their single will be a hit here in the UK, but will the residual hype surrounding One Direction carry them to similar success across the water, or will they end up like the Wanted and fail to live up to their early Transatlantic promise?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Metal Loaf posted:

I wonder what their prospects are. I'm pretty sure their single will be a hit here in the UK, but will the residual hype surrounding One Direction carry them to similar success across the water, or will they end up like the Wanted and fail to live up to their early Transatlantic promise?

They are, most likely, going to release a hit single or two and release a couple of videos but never take off like One Direction did. I am not sure how 1D managed to become so popular. Was it simply a right video at the right time? I remember the whole boyband thing brewing in the background as Justin Bieber steamrolled the charts and his popularity soared. I think that 1D is just gonna remain popular for a little while, but be forgotten in a year or two unless they keep pumping out more catchy singles. I was humming the "That's what makes you Beautiful" song after I saw it on TV once, but none of the later released singles got stuck in my head like that one.

A friend of mine recently linked a very, VERY weird music video to me. At first I didn't like it at all because, well, it was way too "cutesy" but now I have to admit I'm a fan of her. I guess you've heard of her because her song PONPONPON became a meme of some sort back when it was released.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzC4hFK5P3g

So, I guess I've turned into a fan of some batshit insane j-pop artist. Although, I'm pretty sure she's pretty normal in comparison to other japanese artists considering Japanese media is known to be quite hosed up, but this is the first j-pop artist I like. Not sure if this is the correct thread to talk about her, but I really like her music video songs. The other stuff I've listened to haven't been as catchy or as fun to listen to, but they definately know which songs to make a video of :3:

EDIT: The most popular Norwegian newsite is preparing for a massive Belieber invasion because he is holding some shows at the biggest venue in Oslo. They also keep writing about how fanatical they are and they really don't understand how or what causes it. Isn't the Belieber hysteria quite comparable to Elvis, The Beatles, 90's boybands and so on? I don't think it is something new.

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 15, 2013

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
PSY is trying really hard to recreate Gangnam Style with his new video 'Gentleman' (complete with a new dance)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASO_zypdnsQ

Considering he got nearly 70 million views in less than 48 hours, I suppose it's partly working. I would say 'Can't see that ever becoming as big as Gangnam Style', but then again I could never see Gangnam Style becoming a thing, so....

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

You can't really say that it's working from the first 48 hours - yes, it has 60 million views but his second release was going to be a 'I'm clicking to see what wacky things that chubby asian man has done now' thing no matter what. I don't think it will be a 'Gangnam Style' success (to be fair if it does half as well it'll still be huge but because it wasn't as astronomical it will be considered a failure somehow).

Metal Loaf posted:

On a recent visit to PopJustice, I was accosted by an article about a new boy band called Union J, who were apparently the One Direction of last year's series of The X Factor, except there are only four of them and I think one of them is gay.

Well first of all they have an even number of members which is an automatic fail condition (yes, you have JLS but they went and unleashed 'The Club is Alive', which was originally a Flo Rida song but he turned it down (what?)). I think the first single will do alright in the UK but not much after that.

The X-Factor finalist success is pretty hard to predict. I mean you get the usual winners songs (who can disappear after that one song) and some lower placed people like JLS and 1D and Cher Lloyd and Diana Vickers who do pretty well but get dropped and the second album is a joke time-wise (WHERE IS IT VICKO), and then there are the curveballs, like I don't think anyone expected Amelia Lily to break top 20, never mind top 2 (and now she's gone too).

In short - OK-ish in the UK, poo poo in the world.

Oh and the Charli XCX album is great, you should listen to it.

Sprat Sandwich fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 15, 2013

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Nike just dropped a free Ellie Goulding Halcyon Remix album mix here for those who like to run...or enjoy remixes. Only You remix is incredible.

01 (Intro) My Blood (Kastle Remix)
02 Anything Could Happen (Birdy Nam Nam Remix)
03 My Blood (Kastle Remix)
04 Dead in the Water (Drop Lamond Remix)
05 Hanging On (Ahadadream Remix)
06 Without Your Love (Amtrac Remix)
07 Figure 8 (Toyboy & Robin Remix)
08 Don’t Say a Word (Star Slinger Remix)
09 Only You (Special Features Remix)
10 Explosions (Stay Positive Remix)
11 Atlantis (Everything Everything Remix)
12 Halcyon (FTSE Remix)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Having just heard the new Psy song, I don't think lightning is going to strike twice here.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Twee as gently caress posted:

PSY is trying really hard to recreate Gangnam Style with his new video 'Gentleman' (complete with a new dance)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASO_zypdnsQ

Considering he got nearly 70 million views in less than 48 hours, I suppose it's partly working. I would say 'Can't see that ever becoming as big as Gangnam Style', but then again I could never see Gangnam Style becoming a thing, so....

I think the new dance moves are great, but the song itself isn't nearly as catchy as Gangnam Style. It was all about the easily-shouted chorus and the "op op op".

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Sprat Sandwich posted:

The X-Factor finalist success is pretty hard to predict. I mean you get the usual winners songs (who can disappear after that one song) and some lower placed people like JLS and 1D and Cher Lloyd and Diana Vickers who do pretty well but get dropped and the second album is a joke time-wise (WHERE IS IT VICKO), and then there are the curveballs, like I don't think anyone expected Amelia Lily to break top 20, never mind top 2 (and now she's gone too).

Oh and the Charli XCX album is great, you should listen to it.
The Diana Vickers album should be out later this year! It has a tracklist with track times and everything! And Amelia Lily has a new album out in May! Granted, there's absolutely no guarantee anyone will care about either

and yeah, the Charli XCX album is really nie

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sprat Sandwich posted:

What do think the prospects are for James Arthur? He seems kind of awkward to me; not exactly somebody who exudes charisma. I imagine he'll end up in the same boat as Matt Cardle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

What do think the prospects are for James Arthur? He seems kind of awkward to me; not exactly somebody who exudes charisma. I imagine he'll end up in the same boat as Matt Cardle.

I think he is the worst an artist can be - dull. The only thing I can remember is his gratuitous use of mascara? So yeah, Cardle seems to be the one to compare him to (except the mascara, of course).

Paperhouse posted:

The Diana Vickers album should be out later this year! It has a tracklist with track times and everything! And Amelia Lily has a new album out in May! Granted, there's absolutely no guarantee anyone will care about either.

I'll believe that Vickers has a new album out when I am personally listening to it. Same goes for Amelia Lily now that it has already been delayed once, meaning someone isn't happy.