Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

New Taylor Swift lyric spoilers because LOL

https://x.com/thequeerjoy/status/1780705012689375393?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

https://x.com/g0dneys/status/1780696949165015174?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

I’m torn between “it would be kinda funny if Matty killed himself” and “I’m ready for Taylor to never make a song about herself ever again”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I guess when you're touring as much as her it's hard to find time to give some of your lyrics a second pass.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's a high school club concept album.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I believe those lyrics are fake :lol:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

People believe a lot of things that aren't true.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All Aboard the Toxic Gossip Train [15min][[Taylor's Version]]

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

New Taylor already? Christ I know shes a license to print money but it feels like Midnights just happened. I’m a little burned out on the Swiftening

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m less concerned about the theme of the lyrics than the lyrics themselves, they feel like a first draft, almost like writing multiple albums while on a globe-spanning tour does not lead to a strong iterative writing process

weekly font posted:

New Taylor already? Christ I know shes a license to print money but it feels like Midnights just happened. I’m a little burned out on the Swiftening

It’s insane to think but Midnights was literally a year and a half ago, it’s just that she’s been even more in the public eye than usual and her tour became a massive cultural event so instead of going away to let people miss her she’s become inescapable.

But also Evermore came out literally 6 months after Folklore and that’s her best album so it’s all a matter of perspective (and having a world-stopping pandemic that forces her into a situation where literally all she can do is write with no distractions and the ability to craft strong, writerly lyrics rather than recording the first thing that comes to mind)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 18, 2024

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

weekly font posted:

It's been 18 months, less of a gap than between Lover and Evermore (somehow!), but we did also get an ~album's worth of new content with the bonus tracks to Speak Now and 1989 TV.

After a few listens, I'm really fond of The Black Dog, and the title track with the cringey lyrics is one of the more memorable tracks, really disappointed in the Florence track.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

weekly font posted:

Did she beat Creedence Clearwater Revival Yet? They were popular for like 30 months and iirc released 6 albums in that time.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

weekly font posted:

it was 2 years ago. But you might have felt it more because of the Eras tour, the movie, and the whole Travis Kelce super bowl thing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I don't care about Tay Tay's lyrics. I just want some banging' melodies, a healthy serving of hooks and a dash of clever bridges.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I definitely like this core album more than Midnights

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

So much of this album runs together with her other recent output. Most of the antonoff songs sound like Midnights or 1989TE’s vault tracks, the Dessner tracks mostly sound like echoes of Folklore/Evermore which means on average I like them more, but it rarely feels exciting. I’m also getting a lot of post-NDR Lana vibes. Best songs after 1 listen are So Long London, Fresh Out The Slammer and I Can Do It With A Broken Heart (which feels destined to be a single at some point). I’m curious to see if Fortnight is as successful as her other recent singles, it doesn’t scream “I’m gonna be played over and over” like Anti-Hero did.

I will say that I think the title track is her attempt at making a 1975 song and so the cringe lyrics and specific cultural references feel like her mocking Matty Healy, which makes them kind of funny but doesn’t make the song any better. Unfortunately so many of her recent antonoff-produced songs sound kinda like that album he just did with The 1975 that if the production is also trying to be a reference to them it doesn’t really show. Should have made Jack make something that sounds more like their best album instead of the one he made.

Edit: After listen 2, my hot take that would probably get me yelled at if anyone cared what I think: this album is a huge bummer mood-wise from start to finish, there’s absolutely no fun anywhere. I’m not saying that fun Taylor is better than not-fun Taylor, or that she’s not allowed to be sad on a breakup album, but every other Taylor does a better job of having moments of levity even when Taylor is being bitter or mean or angry. There’s no Anti-Hero or Bejeweled or Karma on here to break up the midtempo bitterness. Even her hipster albums with a lot of longer more ponderous songs had a Betty or a No Body No Crime to lightening things up. This means that a Taylor album that’s pretty average length for her ends up feeling exhaustingly long

The one exception is ICDIWABH which is honestly not even as good as the singles from Midnights but after 14 tracks of heavy, it’s a relief.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 18, 2024

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

DC Murderverse posted:

this album is a huge bummer mood-wise from start to finish

I mean to be fair the title of the album is the Tortured Poets Department not the Fun Poets Department. I'm honestly excited by the idea of a bummer album.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Unfortunately it ends up coming off as the Tortured Listener Department

its not bad I just had to use that line since I assume that every music critic is gonna be too scared to pan it like that

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm only on track 3 of TTPD but these songs haven't grabbed me so far. Then again, I wasn't into Midnights the first time I heard it, but I've listened to that album several times since and like it a lot more now.

e: I think Guilty as Sin might be the first song on here that I've liked

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 19, 2024

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Florida slaps. Great song.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Jesus Christ this really just 16 songs about a short lived relationship with the guy from The 1975 and The Haters In The Media. I'm almost done listening to it and oh my god how did she not have anything else to write about

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

Jesus Christ this really just 16 songs about a short lived relationship with the guy from The 1975 and The Haters In The Media. I'm almost done listening to it and oh my god how did she not have anything else to write about

And she’s still better than everyone else at this? Florida on has been one banger of quality after another.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I cannot imagine listening to this again over, like, Chappell Roan's album. I don't even like that album that much it just has infinitely more things going on

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived is pretty good she could have put that out as a single and moved on

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This really feels like the first half of something. Would not be surprised if another album drops before end of summer.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
This is not an album. It's a demo tape. Dunno how she felt ready to put this out. There are maybe like, 1 or 2 good songs on here.

She needs a new producer.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Something’s happening at 2am because every lyric at that pop up thing is not on this album

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Just blasted through this and it's beautiful and vibey and there aren't any really standout hits that need a video, but it's consistently awesome, and i really enjoyed just running through it with the volume up and a bowl. Good vibes.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

15 new tracks just dropped

31 in total

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Oh yeah. That counts as something happening.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/taylorswift13/status/1781201469753950677

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just opened the album on Spotify and it's 31 SONGS AAAAAAAAAA :supaburn:

Context
Sep 11, 2006
What a neat thing to experience

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hopefully the second half is more interesting than the first

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
fwiw I was thinking The Black Dog was a standout track when I heard it as a “deluxe” track so there’s that at least

I cannot really give my opinion on this second half right now but I think it’s more sonically varied?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
A few tracks in and it's like 1989 and Lover had a baby that got really sad. I'm feeling it. Definitely better than Midnights imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
loving hell that’s a lot of music

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

abraham linksys posted:

Her next album will be 16 tracks about her discovering the joys of the NFL.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why is Taylor popular again

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Her next album will be 16 tracks about her discovering the joys of the NFL.

I am all for a 7 minute song about the coaching tactics of Andy Reid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok, almost finished my first listen and Tortured Poets is going to go down as one of my favourite Taylor albums. It's so soft and melancholic, it feels like she made the album I needed