Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’ve gotta stop ordering the vinyl on launch, it’s super lame that I’m basically only getting half the album here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
After Evermore, Midnights 3AM and now this you're a fool if you don't expect an extra 10 tracks to drop

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rarity posted:

After Evermore, Midnights 3AM and now this you're a fool if you don't expect an extra 10 tracks to drop

Evermore doesn’t count it came out 6 months later and is an entire separate album. the trend of deluxe albums popping after a few weeks sucks for physical media buyers and this is absolutely the worst example of it because they spent the last month selling (four different versions!!!! With different bonus tracks!!!!) what is functionally half an album. I hope they sell the second half on its own, I’m not gonna buy it if I have to buy the poo poo I already have again. The more I think about this the more gross it is from a consumer standpoint but I guess you don’t get to be a billionaire if you don’t squeeze people for all they’re worth

Also the merch is super lame too

Edit: ok they never actually released a 3am edition vinyl so she didn’t make people double dip and probably won’t here (for a while, anyways) which strangely makes me feel better. it’ll still be annoying if I end up liking the anthology tracks better because imagine having only the worse half of an album physically

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 19, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DC Murderverse posted:

Evermore doesn’t count it came out 6 months later and is an entire separate album. the trend of deluxe albums popping after a few weeks sucks for physical media buyers and this is absolutely the worst example of it because they spent the last month selling (four different versions!!!! With different bonus tracks!!!!) what is functionally half an album. I hope they sell the second half on its own, I’m not gonna buy it if I have to buy the poo poo I already have again. The more I think about this the more gross it is from a consumer standpoint but I guess you don’t get to be a billionaire if you don’t squeeze people for all they’re worth

Also the merch is super lame too

Edit: ok they never actually released a 3am edition vinyl so she didn’t make people double dip and probably won’t here (for a while, anyways) which strangely makes me feel better. it’ll still be annoying if I end up liking the anthology tracks better because imagine having only the worse half of an album physically

Yeah. I respect the fact that everyone's trying really hard to figure out how the hell to make this work in the streaming era and it's not easy. But we really need to nail down an actual solution that rewards people who actually like buying music. Some standardized, predictable way of proving "hey, I bought this album already, give me a discount on the better version"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Rarity posted:

Ok, almost finished my first listen and Tortured Poets is going to go down as one of my favourite Taylor albums. It's so soft and melancholic, it feels like she made the album I needed

Same

It’s by far her most personal

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

Aaron Dessner's work really saved this one. First few tracks had me worried but the second half especially was fantastic

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

gently caress this I already sat through half of this I'm going back to sleep

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So far I’m finding the lyrics pretty good (maybe could have done with another pass on a few of them) but it’s sonically so uninteresting. Like a worse Midnights. Can’t wait to get to more Dessner tracks. Florida!! the obvious highlight so far

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ok loml and smallest man who ever lived are pretty great, thank you aaron

will listen to side b another time

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I tapped out at track 10, what a chore to listen to.

I hope her next album is just jock jams about football.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

31 songs is too much for any album, especially when the first half had barely any standout songs. I'm sure the hardcore Swifties eat these up, though.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Optimus Subprime posted:

I hope her next album is just jock jams about football.

It will have a track called “Trips Right Bunch F Shuttle Tom and Jerry Right” that’s 8 minutes of her doing spoken word breaking down the OT TD from the Super Bowl.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

decided to listen and I have to be honest fortnight is so aggressively nothing that it fills me with nothing but foreboding for the next two hours

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Taylor's a goon

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I started skipping tracks and I’m not gonna finish it. This album is a slog.

Remember when Taylor Swift was fun?

So far Florida!!! is the best track to me even though it’s not the pop banger the title would lead you to believe

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Absolutely loved the original set of tracks. The bonus album just sounds like more Folklore/Evermore and that was already like 40 songs.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stelio Kontos posted:

The bonus album just sounds like more Folklore/Evermore
I think that's why I'm liking it considerably more than the first half of the album, though I still don't like these songs as much as the Folklore/Evermore ones.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Rageaholic posted:

I think that's why I'm liking it considerably more than the first half of the album, though I still don't like these songs as much as the Folklore/Evermore ones.

The best songs off the second half made it onto the vinyl variants so I’m okay with being one of those fools who bought all four.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

https://x.com/tribranchvo/status/1781096483921523035

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'd trust Chappell Roan to make a great track about getting her rear end ate at the Cheesecake Factory.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
this mf just say Charlie Puth should be a bigger artist

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lmao

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sir Lemming posted:

this mf just say Charlie Puth should be a bigger artist

Gagged that lyric wasn't a fake tbh

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Chloe or Sam is a really nice song.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/swifferstruggle/status/1781238949450531017

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Got very bored, looked at the track list and realised there was 17 songs left and tapped out. Slog doesn’t even cover it, just turgid.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
not gonna lie this poo poo is boring. Even the second disc. Folklore and Evermore did it better

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There are two songs I like a lot (manuscript and Chloe or Sam), but it all feels like a B-sides collection, right down to the half baked production. I’d be pretty shocked if most of these songs weren’t 10 or 15 years old and she’s just flushing the toilet with all her unreleased songs to get them published.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

BigFactory posted:

There are two songs I like a lot (manuscript and Chloe or Sam), but it all feels like a B-sides collection, right down to the half baked production. I’d be pretty shocked if most of these songs weren’t 10 or 15 years old and she’s just flushing the toilet with all her unreleased songs to get them published.

No silly that’s what the Vault songs were. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the Dessner tracks have been sitting around since Evermore though.

I think she processes things through writing and so she wrote a bunch of songs while processing two breakups at once, one that lasted years and one with The Most Writeaboutable Man In The World. Maybe if she had more of an editor in her own mind or in someone else, and maybe if she had more time to polish these and make them stand out and maybe if she didn’t drop 30 brand new songs on the same day, this could have come out better.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Guy who thinks the From the Vault tracks are new tracks being fraudulently passed off as old, but TTPD tracks are old songs being fraudulently passed off as new.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I don't think the song about dating a football player or the song about her British ex not having taken her off Find My Friends are 15 years old.

The song about Jake Gyllenhaal being a creep for dating a 21 year old, sure maybe.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Post Malone had a better feature on the beyonce album

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm locking in and giving this album another real listen and I'm almost done with the first disc. Its not as bad as it was on first listen, but lyrically this is just a huge mess. Its just telegraphed way too hard. Kinda makes it seem she dated Matty Healy to have material for an album low key lol

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Honestly, this album feels so safe, like she just ran out of juice creatively and poured out a bunch of stuff. It's not terrible stuff, but there's not really any attempt to show progression or ambition in the music.

My hot take is that I think the fame has got to her and she's decided that her life should be fundamentally interesting to the listener just because it's Taylor Swift's life. Too much of this album feels fully sincere, likely she genuinely believes that her relationship stories are the deepest, most dramatic poo poo. That was kind of charming when she was 18, and it worked on, like, 1989 and the bits of Lover when she was writing genuinely compelling lyrics and melodies (and sucked on Lover when she was writing The Archer), but you've got to work really hard to make me interested in the same from a 35 year old. She desperately needs to put tongue back in cheek and start having fun again.

And maybe she shouldn't have tried to write a 31 song album in the time it usually takes her to do one half that length, while also re-recording several other albums and putting on an enormous, very extended tour.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Deformed Church posted:

My hot take is that I think the fame has got to her and she's decided that her life should be fundamentally interesting to the listener just because it's Taylor Swift's life. Too much of this album feels fully sincere, likely she genuinely believes that her relationship stories are the deepest, most dramatic poo poo. That was kind of charming when she was 18, and it worked on, like, 1989 and the bits of Lover when she was writing genuinely compelling lyrics and melodies (and sucked on Lover when she was writing The Archer), but you've got to work really hard to make me interested in the same from a 35 year old. She desperately needs to put tongue back in cheek and start having fun again.

god, one of the most damning things you can say about this album is that taylor swift is the same age beyonce was when she released lemonade. the vast gulf in ability to turn relationship drama into compelling music

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
there's two hours of this album and she didn't manage a single line about cum town.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There's definitely some good stuff in this album but it's really hard to imagine listening to the whole thing more than once. Which is a shame because that's usually how songs grow on you, if they're less immediate. There's such an overwhelming amount of stuff here that I have no idea which ones are growers and which ones are just mid, and I'll probably never care to find out.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i actually do not think this album is particularly self-serious ("daddy i love him and i'm having his baby", the double suicide threat line, etc.) but she can't ever, EVER for one second pretend its not in total seriousness because she sees it as essential to her commercial success that people really believe in the life narratives she sells. so instead she released a weird sprawling double album that's half "here's me explaining the PR version of my last three relationships (because i know that's what we're all here for) over incredibly boring jack antonoff soundscapes" and half, like, actual songs a person could listen to, and it all has to be played absolutely to the hilt because god forbid for one second the narrative not look right.

e: also i'm very over the surprise rollout. thoughts and prayers for the music critics who hauled rear end to review 16 songs asap only to learn there were another 16 coming down the pike lmao. whatever happened to a single.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 19, 2024

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The album actually has decent pacing to it and its actually not that bad since its so long. My issue is that a lot these lyrics are trash. The Jack Antonoff of it all, I thought it would be more boring but it is what it is. There are some sonic highlights here for me, but the rest feels like its for the fans. The whole second disc worth of songs, I'm barely getting through right now and its fine. I think people will absolutely be relistening to this and it has a ton of replay value for fans. I'm just curious to see how it will perform compared to her previous stuff.

https://twitter.com/ghostijn/status/1781241979080184086

like what is this poo poo man lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The album actually has decent pacing to it and its actually not that bad since its so long. My issue is that a lot these lyrics are trash. The Jack Antonoff of it all, I thought it would be more boring but it is what it is. There are some sonic highlights here for me, but the rest feels like its for the fans. The whole second disc worth of songs, I'm barely getting through right now and its fine. I think people will absolutely be relistening to this and it has a ton of replay value for fans. I'm just curious to see how it will perform compared to her previous stuff.

https://twitter.com/ghostijn/status/1781241979080184086

like what is this poo poo man lol
Is that a real line? Ahahaha, what in the gently caress