Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Speaking of Janelle: New video, "I Like That"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uovntV3ZMDc

Album goes loving everywhere, I guess. Wasn't wild about Pynk but it grew on me, and this is just butter.

Edit: I just listened to Pynk again and I don't know what the hell I was thinking originally, this album's going to break the world

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Track reveal for Dirty Computer: http://jmonae.com/iamadirtycomputer/

Some rather wonderful descriptions of what inspired each track, too.

Inspiration for "I Like That":

Inspired by wack rear end fuckboys everywhere (from the traphouse to the White House) who make the lives of little brown girls so drat hard. Like they told ya'll back in those Black Women's studies classes...BUT SOME OF US ARE BRAVE...

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
A Star is Born soundtrack's showing up all over the place now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anp6lGHKZw0

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I don't mind an album of songs that kinda blend with one another, especially for someone with a very specific vibe like LDR's.

I do, however, think it's overgeneralizing to say Ultraviolence and Born to Die sound the same song-to-song. There's a lot of variety and really stunning poo poo in there. It's cohesive, but not same-y.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Not at all denying the wonderfulness of Halsey, but Lorde's second album was loving incredible from front to back and I'm stoked to see where she goes from there.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I think Solar Power is fuckin rad, just in a different way. Has me excited for the rest of the album. Melodrama was stunning.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
LGBTQ TikTok (specifically bi TikTok) is very, very much all about Dove Cameron and has been since she released a snippet of "Boyfriend" a few months ago

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
The videos from it are wild. Huge credit to the dancers who make it through that kind of thing without their legs bending in all sorts of new directions.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
yeah i feel like i fell into a fever dream for a bit there

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, Folklore is exceptional and a great starting point. Midnights is really great, too. Those two albums were how I got into her music.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
That first Third Eye Blind album is extremely good. Banger after banger. I will happily listen to that album every now and then until I'm in the ground.

The second album, Blue, has its moments and is better than people gave it credit for, but doesn't come anywhere near the first.

Everything after that has been deeply, deeply regrettable.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Listened yesterday, didn't love it. Listened today, liked it way, way more. I think somewhere in this Pretty Good double album there's a Very Good single album, but I'm glad this one seems like it's gonna grow on me the same way Midnights did.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
the "scout's honor" line was pretty great imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
the drum march is loving sick, imo