Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Paperhouse posted:

Just listened to this Tove Lo song like 10 times in a row

it's so good :swoon:

That was unsettling. If you're gonna sing about wanting to die, you need to have electric guitars. It's the law.

Reminded me of this summer hit from across the sea, thematically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC-ugh6n6Bg

(although it's in Finnish, so tough luck...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Ben Folds takes the piss out of these really well by covering songs that sound 10 times more absurd played by a piano man. (Sleazy and Bitches Ain't poo poo)

Uhh

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

DStecks posted:

If I had to offer a thought (which nobody asked for :v:) I think that the die-off of mainstream rock was triggered by grunge, but the country boom was what sealed the deal. Just based on personal experiences, the people who were listening to hair metal in the 80's have a huge overlap with people who listen to country music now.

Basically, the people who were really into rock specifically, they all got into grunge and today make up the alternative rock scene. The people into pop rock, hair metal, the top 40 stuff, they became primarily country music listeners. You also had the golden age of hip hop going on at the same time, and the rise of britpop in the UK, so in the 90's you've got a bunch of big genres dominating the charts that have little-to-no demographic overlap between them. Which is probably the reason for the massive pop explosion of the late 90's: in such a fragmented era, only the most wide-appeal stuff appealed to everyone. Which then came to a screeching halt around 9/11.

Hair metal is pretty loving dead in countries where literally no one listens to country too.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Little Boots was also around at that time. I remember seeing her on an episode of Jools Holland and thinking she was quite good, then after that... nada. Never heard from her again.

She's released two quite decent disco-y albums since

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Pitchfork is probably the #1 respectable pop music media in the world now that most of the print mags have basically died and what's left is three quarters ads. I don't read it, but its authority and esteem seem pretty obvious at this point