Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Katy perry trying to hop on the reggaetón trend. Not surprised but her time has been over for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

i think separated from all previous context and culture i'd probably like the Katy Perry song better than Madonna's new single that is hopping on the same spanish/english trend but since i will never be able to listen to that song without thinking "oh this is that loving Informer song" it is worse

both are bad my friend

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/lizzo/status/1119774810463068160

FYI Lizzo is getting streamed again - hopefully the sound works!

It’s a rebroadcast from last week

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Paperback Writer posted:

Her specifically? Because this weekend hasn’t just been a re-broadcast. They’ve just been showing a couple songs per artist on one channel though.

Almost everything from the curated broadcast is a rebroadcast from last week. You have to see if its listed under curated on the schedule or not.

Only things not being rebroadcasted are Sunday Service (and encore), Ariana Grande and Perfume

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

less laughter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvuN_WvF1to

This stars a lot of pop stars:

• Justin Bieber
  • Ariana Grande
  • Halsey
  • Zac Brown
  • Brendon Urie
  • Hailee Steinfeld
  • Wiz Khalifa
  • Snoop Dogg
  • Adam Levine
  • Shawn Mendes
  • Charlie Puth
  • Sia
  • Miley Cyrus
  • Lil Jon
  • Rita Ora
  • Miguel
  • Katy Perry
  • Lil Yachty
  • Ed Sheeran
  • Meghan Trainor
  • Tory Lanez
  • John Legend
  • the Backstreet Boys
  • Bad Bunny
  • Psy
  • Kris Wu

why would you post this

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lizzo boring as hell and her stance against being criticized is hilarious

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

It was a bit yikes but tbf I’d also be mad if someone compared me to Meghan Trainor

They weren’t wrong though

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Anonymous John posted:

Maybe they should not have done a lovely sell-out song with Marshmello in the first place.

For real

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Despera posted:

Can Billie Eilish gently caress off? Like congrats on having well connected parents and discovering mumblecore but every time "The party is over" comes on the radio I think my radios broken because its so goddamn quiet.

Ok dad

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Billie Eilish is dumb and bad but who even needs her when there's that loving fire new Lizzo album out that I can't stop listening to???

nothing on that new lizzo album is even as remotely interesting as the billie album lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

LionArcher posted:

Billie has two good songs on that album. She’s the 2019 version of evanescence.

Some of us are over here waiting for the real queen to return (Carly.)

I completely disagree lol. I believe this thread is facing a real generational shift

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I'm in my 20s and I don't like Billie lol

But yes, Party for One is a loving jam and I can't wait for CRJ to come back, sword in hand.

Yeah you’re loving old dude.

E: to a kid you’re a dinosaur. It’s just facts, I’m sorry. I’m 27 and I was hanging out with my cousin and it’s insane how big the 10 year gap between me and her is RE: pop culture

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 3, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that Billie appeals to people 10 years younger than me. But I feel like a good pop artist doesn't just appeal to teenagers and no one else, so

Ok grandpa

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Paperback Writer posted:

and imo the coolest pop star right now is actually Rosalía, from Spain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZTaZRLv3GE

Actual loving facts right here

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly none of this is better than the Kacey Musgraves album

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

T-Swizz put up a playlist on Apple Music and she has very good taste. You've obviously got her new single up there (which, meh), and trendy pop like Lizzo, Khalid, CRJ, Panic!, LDR and Julia Michaels, but she's got King Princess on there, she's got Doja Cat (Juicy might be one of the songs of the summer for me), Alex Lahey, Jessie Reyez, Beach House, Twin Shadow, it fits my tastes perfectly and my guess is that y'all might appreciate it too

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/playlist-by-me/pl.ae7cd2db31fc4d519725b6747b9074a5

Are you a 15 year old

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Does Pop Punk go here or not? Pop Punk would be stuff like Avril Lavigne and Offspring, right?

I just wonder what "regular" Punk thinks of it. I don't think I've ever really listened to the OG punk bands but my vague impression is they were a bunch of angry Leftists screaming about authority and capitalism. Not really compatible with the kind of stuff Avril did.

Don't really care though. Love Complicated.

There’s been a pop punk resurgence recently. People nostalgic for it these days

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That songs like she’s trying make her own version of Royals by Lorde. This poo poo sucks lmao. Also :wtc:

Yeaaaahh this album is going to be bad dude. I’m sorry

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Motivational Subwoofer posted:

Gosh it’s almost like she’s trying to tell us something what could it beeee :iiam:

She wants gay people to buy her merch and stream her music.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

1989 is the only project of hers I've been able to tolerate all the way through, and not only did I tolerate it, I enjoyed it so much that I'm still listening to it on a weekly basis 5 years later :colbert:

This explains so much about your posts

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

mike12345 posted:

I thought this song sucked the first time I heard it, but after the fifth time I think it's total genius and I love it, best pop song since forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBnGBb1wg98

at first I thought it's just a bunch of leftover songs glued together, but it all starts to flow once you know what to expect. there should be a 20 min mix to fully appreciate it though.

I just don't know man. I think this is probably Red Velvet's worse release, but their last few singles have been bad too (power up and really bad boy).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

mike12345 posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan of power up or rbb, but some of the b-sides on rbb are really nice (sassy me). Red Velvet currently feels pretty experimental, sappy wasn't really straightforward as well (but still not as radical this). Maybe it's just a new kpop trend, Black Pink's recent stuff also has this weird hybrid/patchwork feel.

This to me feels like SM going back to the I got a Boy well from 2013. IGAB was super famous and popular because of its hybrid/multiple song feel but in that case I thought it had much stronger song writing and everything kinda did flow. This RV song just doesn’t work for me personally.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
taylor swift got owned

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just realized I completely forgot how dark horse even sounded like

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I got tickets to see Charli xcx at a small venue in September and I’m pretty stoked for it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

^burtle posted:

I have Born to Die live sets, consider Ultraviolence an all time top album and smoked pot during a meteor shower with Honeymoon but for the life of me I cannot understand where this level of praise for NFR is coming from. People calling it the best album of the year? A masterpiece? It sounds good and fine, a more polished version of the back end of Lust for Life sound, but really just more of the same.

Maybe the problem is that I keep wanting bangers and songs that stick with me rather than just an enjoyable overall project. Just trying to find the password to let me hear what everyone else is hearing I suppose.

This is me but with every Lana project ever. I never understood the hype

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m kinda not that into the new grimes, I thought her last single was actually better imo (and even then i wasn’t that into it either, weird! But I guess I like it more on hindsight).

The nu metal inspired sound was pretty fresh I thought

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
She’s played unlock it at the last two shows

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Solomon Gumball posted:

Due to fan outrage because she didn't play it the first night of the tour, that's what I was getting at -- people wanted the fan hits and deeper cuts and were very vocal about it after the first show.

She played it tonight as well. Chill

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ZakAce posted:

Pitchfork trying to tell me that Rae Sremmurd and 'Lifestyle' are better than 'Edge of Glory' and 'Marry The Night', GTFO.

Sorry but it’s actually you who is wrong

e: just to further clarify: those songs don’t even reach the heights that Lifestyle lives in. They’re not that good. Also sremmlife 1-3 are really loving good.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 8, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lizzo was never good lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

look, I'm aware that "I feel bad for Taylor Swift" is just an incredibly silly statement generally, but as far as celebrities go, she's having a pretty bad year between finding out her mom has a brain tumor while getting treatment for her breast cancer and then having to cancel her entire tour because of this epidemic.

which is why out of all of the performances on the Heroes And Brands Televised Spectacular, the one that really got to me was Taylor singing Soon You'll Get Better, which was a song written about her mom getting cancer treatment and not being able to handle it at all, which is an incredibly relatable thing and Soon You'll Get Better is easily one of her best songs.

edit:
https://twitter.com/AustinKellerman...ther-at-home%2F

I actually had to tune out while I watched it live because I knew I was just gonna start melting if I paid attention

She’s rich as hell she will be fine

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

teacup posted:

It’s good marketing

Yup

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Whistle is still the best blackpink song

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

foutre posted:

Kind of belated, but mxmtoon's new EP is very good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owvji3p7kB0

A brave stance in a world where Boombayah exists (yeah they have a lot of great songs this is def one of them). Blackpink is definitely my #1 kpop band.

e: Also, while I'm at it, Pink Pony Club is also a bop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR3Liudev18

Not a fan of the racist Native American yell thing they do in the chorus (after the Oppa! Part)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I like this Charli xcx album much more than her previous one!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

drat this is very underwhelming for me. Was expecting so much more.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

So is Katy Perry considered old person music at this point? She's the last pop star I really followed.

yes

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Song is not that good. I do not "like that"

they need new producers/songwriters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Paperback Writer posted:

ok what. Is this just weird K-pop fandom stuff showing up? I’m so confused. I’m not even a huge pop fan but am in love with their music and the technical side of it. Especially live, wow the live band was good.

DDU DDU DDU, Kill This Love, Boombiyah, Playing With Fire, Forever Young, Really, and Whistle are all loving amaaazingly written.

Ok I’ll stop looking like a goober now.

let me explain and clarify. The sounds they are doing when they started were clear that they were trying to reach a western audience. The heavy emphasis on rap and edm has always been there. And yes the live band is good (but its the in house YG band, they performed with 2ne1, g dragon/bigbang, etc)

Kill This Love last year was the first time I thought they weren't really progressing with their sound. DDU-Du is probably their peak if I'm going to be honest. If we're talking singles, Kill This Love felt like it was specifically made not just for the US, but also for Coachella. I'm really into their sound, but I just wish they can evolve it a bit more.

With this song, idk it feels like another retread. They bring back the Look at me / Look at you part from Kill This Love (and honestly its probably from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ZfA5QZDHY)

The whole badda bing part, the look at the sky its a bird/its a plane is hilariously cringe. Its not as strong as their previous releases for me. Teddy (their main producer/writer) I think is trying to recreate the success of DDu-du again here, I kinda miss when they were doing different sounds like the whole reggeaton/italo disco "as if its your last"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amq-qlqbjYA

Anyway thats what I think about it. I'll probably warm up to the single a lot more after giving it more listens but these are my initial impressions on it for today

Llamadeus posted:

Most of the other companies switch up composers/producers quite frequently, four years of (broadly similar) Teddy songs is bound to fatigue even some people who liked them originally

Yup, its time for someone else to get in the room and bring some fresh ideas