Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

Dawn FM erasure

this forum hated this album. they not real XO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

I liked a few of the Dawn FM songs that were in that Live at SoFi Stadium concert movie, but they definitely weren't my favorites of the songs he played there.

I'm still of the opinion that Starboy was his last really good album. Even After Hours only has like two great songs - Heartless and Blinding Lights. The rest are just whatever IIRC.

A niche opinion if I've ever seen one

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Starboy was too long imo. Dawn FM is probably my favorite album of his and then it’s After Hours.

The trilogy mixtapes are also sick but they’re mixtapes not albums

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Grimes sucks so bad dude. she’s been washed though for a very long time so hearing how she hosed up a dj set is the least surprising thing ever

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
everyone eventually does this sort of rebrand. Even Swift did it. Its just that this jojo siwa artist is very boring and painfully generic.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
No singles have been released. The most people think they have on it is a snippet that post malone deleted on ig.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

weekly font posted:

New Taylor already? Christ I know shes a license to print money but it feels like Midnights just happened. I’m a little burned out on the Swiftening

it was 2 years ago. But you might have felt it more because of the Eras tour, the movie, and the whole Travis Kelce super bowl thing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
not gonna lie this poo poo is boring. Even the second disc. Folklore and Evermore did it better

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Post Malone had a better feature on the beyonce album

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm locking in and giving this album another real listen and I'm almost done with the first disc. Its not as bad as it was on first listen, but lyrically this is just a huge mess. Its just telegraphed way too hard. Kinda makes it seem she dated Matty Healy to have material for an album low key lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The album actually has decent pacing to it and its actually not that bad since its so long. My issue is that a lot these lyrics are trash. The Jack Antonoff of it all, I thought it would be more boring but it is what it is. There are some sonic highlights here for me, but the rest feels like its for the fans. The whole second disc worth of songs, I'm barely getting through right now and its fine. I think people will absolutely be relistening to this and it has a ton of replay value for fans. I'm just curious to see how it will perform compared to her previous stuff.

https://twitter.com/ghostijn/status/1781241979080184086

like what is this poo poo man lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pragmatica posted:

it has taken me nearly 24 hours to get through taylor’s new album. oof. some of it seems okay? it’s weird and i can’t quite put my finger on what it is exactly that isn’t clicking. is all of it this forgettable that i’m not sure if i even liked one song??? :sigh:

maybe it will grow on me in the next listen? some of the lyrics are good, emotional, but it all just kinda flows together into one 2 hour song? drat.

A lot of it feels like Midnights leftovers but also folklore and evermore leftovers as well. Just double dipping into these last few projects she's had. Makes it all same-y

Cemetry Gator posted:

I disagree. Swifties taken the readings too far and try to analyze every song as if it’s all autobiographical, and it feels like that has become the normalized discourse around her music. This is the same woman who sang “karma is a cat purring in my lap because it loves me.” She’s goofy, awkward, nerdy, and self aware of her absurdity.

I feel like more of the ridiculous lines in the songs work better in context, like the Charlie Puth line in the title track.

There’s also been little pieces of the songs that have grabbed me, like the opening to Farewell London.

That said, I do think dropping 31 songs at once hurts people’s perceptions. Even if it was all good, it’s still a lot to take in. It’s like Cowboy Carter. Something more focused would be a better listen, but with streaming, artists don’t need to edit.

Sure, but no matter how nerdy and awkward she is, THIS LINE STILL SUCKS

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

I think it’s funny that for such an easy album to find legitimate criticisms for, people are trying play gotcha with out of context lyrics like this

Even in context this lyric is still bad! And its not the only lyric on the album that is a gotcha. Off the top of my head you got the charlie puth line, you got the touch me while you play grand theft auto line and so many more. That one lyrics I shared is indicative of the writing on the whole thing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Literally no one except you apparently is talking about the actual lyrical element to this line in the larger verse they’re saying “lol why would anyone want to live in the 1830s” as if that was the point

Also the grand theft auto line is good just like “Karma is a cat purring on my lap cause it loves me” is a good line

if you think that line is good just because of the context surrounding it be my guest man.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m not even saying the line was good I’m just saying eveyone out there is clipping that one line and being like “ah how dumb she wants to live in the 1830s” like those people who heard the line “refuting my Jewishness” in a speech about someone decrying Israel and immediately went red with anger and stopped thinking and started yelling

I don’t care if people criticize but there’s so much bad faith talking about this album that I end up having to defend poo poo I don’t even like because everyone else is engaging with it in the stupidest possible way on purpose. Thats not happening in here obviously, but there’s a lot of people who aren’t even listening who see that line out of context and just assume it confirms their priors.

you dont have to defend terrible writing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm talking about this iconic moment from her and Cabello's performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy48vHlIsY4&t=147s

Lana also had a playboi carti feature once

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The moment she did tiktok dances she fell off

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Going this hard only to inevitably drop mid is crazy

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Dang Chappell Roan was scheduled to play the Ritz in Raleigh, but demand was so high they actually moved it to the Red Hat Amphitheater. (with all purchased tickets being honored). Can't remember last time seeing an artist be actually moved to a bigger venue after the ticket sale happened (but that's awesome and I wish more did it)

This happens a lot in austin

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

smackfu posted:

Is it weird that Olivia Rodrigo has a single that’s only on the deluxe version of Guts?

Or am I just an old timer hung up on albums and singles only have a loose connection to them at this point.

What's weirder these days is when a single drops and its not on any album. Its just a random loosie. Been happening a lot too.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

I remember there were Sabrina haters in this thread :chord:

took her a while, but she finally got a good song

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
On first listen I’m not sure I’m feeling this dua lipa album. First few singles painted a different picture of what this album was going to be like.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I'm a big Dula Peep fan and I have to admit this album is really boring on a first listen. Not as boring as the Miley Cyrus LP, but shockingly close. Future Nostalgia had hooks for days, what happened here.

drat thats a good comparison. I actually feel the same way.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

looking into what the hell is going on in modern pop where everyone's forgotten how to write hooks except people writing 80 second songs for tiktok

Charli XCX will save pop in 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s crazy to me how boring most of the album sounds and it’s a Kevin Parker / Danny L Harle production. Like how does this even happen