Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Genderman posted:

Has anyone here heard of Marina and the Diamonds? (edit: lol guess so) Apparently shes pretty drat famous in the UK but I found her stumbling upon her live recordings on KCRW. These are drat awesome, she has an amazing voice. I like her first album but these rule:

If this was what her recorded stuff sounded more like she would be Kate Bush resurrected, except with an even more insanely sick voice

I love Marina! The more playful and upbeat side of her first album is great (as in "Oh No": http://vimeo.com/35350145), and it while it took me a while to get into the quite a bit darker, electronic Electra Heart it's just as good. Can't wait to see where she goes from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNliJ66WbbU

Outta loving nowhere a new Pet Shop Boys album.

gently caress YES! It's not really out of nowhere, they've been hinting at an electronic album being around the corner ever since the quiet Elysium was released. But I wasn't sure if they'd actually pull it off!

EDIT: Holy poo poo, they left Parlophone as well. After 28 years!

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 14, 2013

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

nomapple posted:

Has anyone else listened to the new Hurts album, Exile? I absolutely loved their debut album, Happiness, but Exile is doing nothing for me. Happiness was chock full of cheesy pop ballads with massive vocal hooks and great synth lines. Exile seems to be taking a more modern approach (I could swear I hear a wub or two at some points during the album, and the lyrics seem to be more dark and edgy (read: embarrassing) rather than the cheesy goodness we got from Happiness. So far all I have come across is praise for Exile (from fans of the group at least), but I was just wondering whether anyone felt the same way I do. Exile does have a few redeeming moments, but it is nowhere near as great as the debut, and there's definitely nothing as good as Better than Love.

You're not the only one who thinks this way. The reviews I've read were mediocre at best. Even Peter Robinson over at Popjustice couldn't get excited about Exile. I guess Miracle is quite nice. Or it might seem that way from all the radio plays it gets around here.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

STAND UP AND TURN YOUR SPEAKERS TO MAX BECAUSE PET SHOP BOYS HAVE A NEW SONG OUT AND IT'S NOT "REFLECTIVE" NOR "MOODY" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDCU17wXktY

The albums out on July 15th. God Bless.

Oh and Annie also released a new song but it's kinda poo poo sadly but whatever, the rest will be great.

Axis is awesome! I was definately not expecting an instrumental as a first single, but with them being on their own label now I guess they've decided to do whatever the gently caress they want. Good for them!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Christmas Jones posted:

I'm so disappointed they're not coming anywhere near me on the North American tour. They're my favorite group I've never had a chance to see live.

Considering Neil is really not a good live singer, they put a lot of effort into their shows, and it pays off. I've seen them twice, once on the Cubism tour and once on the Pandemonium tour, and I had a lot of fun. The crowd skews a bit older though, obviously a lot of people go to see them for their 80s and 90s hits.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Guys, the new Pet Shop Boys album is so good. So, so good. Now I really liked Elysium, but it did have a couple of clunkers on it (not sure I'm ever going to listen to Winner or Give It A Go again). But Electric is good from start to end. Hell, a lot better than good in some places. Love Is A Bourgeois Construct is as fantastic as its name suggests, Example's part on Thursday (which I was a bit apprehensive about) is great, and even those that might have been lesser songs (like Inside A Dream) have something about them that pushes them AT LEAST above average (that great bassline in case of Inside A Dream). I really hope Electric goes over better with the public and fan base than Elysium did, because it really deserves it.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
In her defence, the people who made headlines lately wearing grills (Madonna, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus) are wealthy white girls, so to me that kinda softens the vaguely racist undertones you might detect.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lord Krangdar posted:

I actually like Work Bitch, although I'm not sure why. Maybe just because it's a pretty ballsy risk for Britney, not relying on her usual tricks or collaborators.

I don't think so. This is another will.i.am production coming right after the HUGE success of Scream and Shout. At this very moment, going into this direction is not risky, it's a no-brainer.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Lord Krangdar posted:

Oh, I wasn't aware of that song. I was thinking her usual trick is her trademark croak, and I thought she had been working mainly with Dr. Luke for some time now.

It's true that her last album was mainly done by Dr. Luke/Max Martin/Shellback, but even that already had a will.i.am contribution (Big Fat Bass). And her last song with Dr. Luke (Ooh La La from the Smurfs 2 OST) was a massive piece of poo poo.
Scream and Shout was a single from will.i.am's studio album, and after that went to number one basically everywhere around the world he was named executive producer for Britney's new album.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

nyquil hangover posted:

This is WAY better than Roar. Why wasn't it the first single?

Because it doesn't really have a proper chorus? I'm exaggerating, obviously, but while I like this for being not as middle of the road as Roar, I can't see anything great in it either. It never really takes off. I'm still looking forward to Prism, but neither Dark Horse nor Roar have really been as good as I expected from her after Teenage Dream.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

We will be hearing hopefully a lot of new Katy Perry today when she performs at iTunes festival

In the mean time a new single is out

Walking On Air

Walking On Air starts out so awesome, and the production is a perfect 90's pastiche. But the chorus is a big fat nothing. With a little luck it'll grow on me, but I'm a little bit disappointed.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

nyquil hangover posted:

I'm gonna miss Janelle Monae on SNL tonight :(

I hope it goes well. She's so theatrical and over the top that I'm worried everyone will make fun of her and it'll be Lana del Rey all over again.

Every live performance of Janelle's I've seen has been pitch perfect. There's no chance in hell that she'll gently caress up as bad as Lana.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

AA is for Quitters posted:

gently caress Ke$ha.

Seriously, whoever writes her stuff needs to be shot for creating the most earwormy poo poo on the planet. I cannot count the number of times this week I have gotten "timber" out of my head just to get it promptly stuck back in it again.

Speaking of Ke$ha, I just read that Lipsha, her collaboration with the Flaming Lips, won't be released after all, which makes me sad. 2012 (You Must Be Upgraded) was great.

By the way, most of her stuff was co-written with Dr. Luke, and apparently they've had a huge falling out over the way her second album, Warrior, came together.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 15, 2013

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I thought he falling out came about because Ke$ha actually DID want to go into a different direction, at least in parts, and both the label and Dr. Luke pressured here to stick with the established sound?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

The public has given Gags a pass in the past because they thought she was making some grand meta-commentary on fame, but now they're not so sure.

Most of the public don't even know what meta-commentary is. Apart from that I'm with HorseRenoir: This is not any more noisy or "headache-inducing" (oh please) than any of the other EDM in the charts, but it's certainly a lot more interesting. You ARE right that one probably shouldn't look to deep into the art aspect of her work, but I'd say it's definately there. At least to a much larger degree than with any other pop act on the charts right now.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 26, 2013

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Lana Del Rey (with an EDM track!) and her protegée Lorde (who doesn't even brickwall her poo poo) both had big hits on the charts this year, and both have a much more legitimate claim to the title of "art pop," I think.

Yeah, and the Lana del Ray remix was brickwalled as well, while Lorde wasn't EDM. So...you didn't really refute my point?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Janet Jackson really doesn't get the credit she deserves, does she?

The thing is, Janet Jackson is really, REALLY resting on her laurels these days. Her last few albums were very lazy, not to mention the last one was released ages ago. It's been a while since she released anything noteworthy, and she really needs a big crossover hit from her next album to get back into the public consciousness.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
This is slightly ranty, please don't take it personally ;).

Yes. Because there is literally nothing worse in the world than this. I hate a capella versions, I hate lovely "two guys play one guitar" versions, I hate videos of street musicians playing around with loops, I really hate EVERYTHING that makes people go "oh but isn't it IMPRESSIVE?". No, it's not. Why the gently caress would I want to listen to vocal versions of Daft Punk songs? One thing that really elevates their songs is the awesome electronic production. The last thing I ever want to hear or see is a bunch of people in what looks like anime gear singing a Bobby McFerrin version of Technologic.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 18, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I am really not looking for an argument about pop music but I do think a complex vocal arrangement isn't a novelty cover, especially when the "original" material is already really derivative. Is Soft Cell's cover of "Tainted Love" also a novelty cover? It has far less musical merit compared to its source material than PTX's Daft Punk medley, but it's also one of the most iconic pop hits of the 80s.

I am genuinely asking here because I've only really started listening to pop music again recently, and in the other genres I'm familiar with (classical, folk, and various alt-things) nobody seems to question the artistic merit of covers and other derivative works.

I'm sorry, I don't really want to start an argument either, that was just something I had to get off my chest. I guess this thread IS actually the right place to discuss that stuff as well. It's just that the Pentatonix medley in particular has been thrown at me again and again, and I personally didn't like it the first time I heard it.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 18, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

No problem, and I can respect that. I actually don't really like Daft Punk, but I do like the Pentatonix medley, so it probably makes sense that the things that I really like about it might make you actively dislike it.

And I will definitely agree that deliberately gimmicky covers wear thin pretty quickly, though I don't know if I'll ever get tired of the sad clown singing "Royals".

So moving on, I want to express my gratitude to whoever it was who posted about Marina and the Diamonds because I hadn't heard her before and she's now my new favorite.

I am slowly learning current pop but the local pop radio station is pretty annoying so I'm mostly sticking to spotify and this thread.

Well, Marina and the Diamonds, we can definately agree on her!

When talking about pop singers with a bit of character, I can also recommend Janelle Monae, although her style is a bit more R'n'B than the currently popular EDM influenced pop. I just love this performance of Dance Apocalyptic on Letterman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_0gMYq6Odw

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

-Pet Shop Boys (duh)

Pet Shop Boys are by FAR my most played artist, according to last.fm. The number of incredible melodies they've written over the years is astonishing, and that their albums are still worth the while after nearly thirty years is remarkable as well.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

-Robbie Williams (British pop star, he was in Take That, great voice but his material is very hit or miss)

His material might be hit and miss, but when it hits...No Regrets, Angels, Bodies, The Road To Mandalay, Tripping...I could go on.

The Sound of Arrows is another group I love. Their album was incredibly consistent. I have no idea if they still exist and will ever release a second album though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujO_N6DmFM8

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

The production might seem dated, but it's obviously been very influential. And the song itself is still good anyway. Fun fact: This is actually one of the first writing credits for Brian Higgins, who would go on to form Xenomania and dominate the British pop scene (mostly with Girls Aloud) for a good part of the 2000s.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

If any of you UK people didn't use your chance to get some loving KATE BUSH tickets I will look at you with contempt.

Not from the UK, but I guess I'll make a short vacation there come September, 'cause I somehow managed to get a ticket! All 22 shows have sold out in less than half an hour. And she has pretty much confirmed that The Ninth Wave will be part of the show. I can die happy (after September, please).

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Have we talked about the new Kylie Minogue CD? Because I think it's great. The Enrique Iglesias song kind of sucks, but Kiss Me Once & I Was Gonna Cancel more than make up for it.

I don't think we have. And I probably wouldn't have brought it up, 'cause I'm actually a bit disappointed. The only songs I really like are Into The Blue and Kiss Me Once. A couple of others like Les Sex are nice as well, and the video campaign using Sexercize is fun. But even if I compare it to Aphrodite, there's nothing as majestic as All The Lovers or Aphrodite on here, or as elegant as Cupid Boy. You mention I Was Gonna Cancel, and a lot of reviewers have noted it as an album highlight as well, but I actually can't stand it one bit. It has the sound of a current Pharrell production "going" for it (I'm probably the one person on the planet to whom Get Lucky was just merely okay). But it's completely tuneless, and I get the impression that with his own album and his other production duties, Pharrell was spread a little thin when it was time to come up with a memorable song for Kylie. The Enrique Iglesias song is horrible, as you mentioned.

Anyway, the album as a whole is NOT horrible. It's got a nice, summery feel to it. But to me it's really one of the least memorable albums non-SAW Kylie has released.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Since I had not yet heard Avril's current album, not only could I enjoy the awfulness of the video, but also experience the awfulness of the song for the first time. What a great way to start my day. This truely is one of the worst pop releases of the year so far. It will probably get an insane amount of plays from me.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

weekly font posted:

Holy poo poo she managed to make her lovely husband's lovely band's lovely song even shittier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCS6p3JJyaQ

I don't know, I still think this is the one good melody Chad Kroeger managed to write in his life. And I say that as someone who completely despises Nickleback.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 28, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Has anyone heard Lily Allen's new album yet? Is it any good?

I've only listened to it once so far, so I can't make a final judgement yet, but it's at least worth a listen. It's mostly electronic pop (not too dancey though), with a few detours here and there. Hard Out There was a good choice for a first single, and a couple of other tracks (L8 CMMR, URL Badman) stand out on the first listen. I still don't like Air Balloon. A couple of tracks blend together, but that might change after I've spent some time with the album. It's not as unique in its sound as her debut was, and I doubt anyone will ever rate it as highly, but it's definitely not bad.

EDIT: Actually, saying it's "mostly electronic pop" doesn't really fit that well. There's a strong R'n'B influence here, which these days is mostly electronic at it's core, but it's not electronic pop in the way of an ARTPOP.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 4, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

"New things."

ITS GONNA HAPPEN

While I'm REALLY looking forward to some new La Roux, I really have no idea how this will turn out. I hope the album won't be an overthought mess, as long as they've been working on it. Not to speak of the public reaction, who knows if people even still remember them?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
The new La Roux single Let Me Down Gently premiered today (http://minuetaxtinalol.tumblr.com/post/85412622568).
I've only listened to it once so far, and while it's nice enough, I'm not sure if it's a good comeback single. I think they need something more immediate than a nearly six minute mid-tempo track. I hope they don't make the same mistake as Little Boots and follow up their debut of great three minute pop songs with an album of lengthy mood pieces. Not that the music can't be fantastic, but it's career suicide.

EDIT: There's also a four minute radio edit: http://www.josepvinaixa.com/blog/la-roux-let-me-down-gently-single-premiere/
It seems that it cuts of a lot of the beginning, and I think it's better for it.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 11, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I thought Let Me Down Gently is a 'buzz single', no?

Is it? I've only seen it referred to as the lead single, with no hint of another single in the pipeline. The albums out in seven weeks, so if there is supposed to be a big push single they don't have THAT much time left to build up hype. That cover is fantastic, by the way!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I remember seeing that it is but now I can't find anything. You're probably right and I'm dumb. And yeah, that cover rocks. Straight out of some 60s brochure.

Nope, turns out you were right! "Uptight Downtown" debuted tonight, Popjustice has a stream here: http://www.popjustice.com/songs/la-roux-uptight-downtown/
I like it, but she really has moved away from the sound of her debut. The voice and the songwriting still give away that it's La Roux though.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Also has anyone listened to the Royksopp/Robyn collaboration yet? Is it as amazing as I hope it is?

The thing is, it's actually not very pop, but I love it anyway. Monument is just fantastic for all of its ten minutes. I've read reviews that think it drags, the saxophon section in particular, but to me that's nearly the best bit!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Stalins Moustache posted:

At first I thought that it didn't sound so bad. Just being that generic pop song number 1 million. But then the worst effort trumpets kicked in and I couldn't stop laughing. Who produced this?

Quite honestly, I think the trumpets are pretty awesome. They give the whole thing a weird, off-beat quality that actually saves the song from being too generic.

EDIT: And I looked it up. The producer is Wayne Wilkins, who produced her previous hit "Fight For This Love" and has some other high profile work under his belt (Beyoncé, Natasha Bedingfield, Jordin Sparks).

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 7, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Went on a Janet Jackson binge this morning, I'm not sure why she's not up there with Madonna, Whitney, Mariah, etc. She is massively underrated.

Unfortunately, we all know why she's not up there, don't we? That Superbowl show killed her career, and her last couple of albums were simply too bad to resurrect ist.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

This is without a doubt my favorite Pet Shop Boys song but it has the most 90s video ever made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTZ-w1LHrk0

Without doubt one of the best pop songs every written. There's some really unusual chords progressions in there, and yet they manage to make them work with such a good, catchy melody. Not to mention that the lyrics are Neil Tennant at his best. The video, well, most definitely has not stood the test of time. Those hats are iconic though.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Pet Shop Boys power ranking:

1. Can You Forgive Her
2. It's A Sin
3. Being Boring
4. Left To My Own Devices
5. Thursday

Good list. I really agree on the first three, with four and five changing from day to day. I literally could not do a top ten. Too many songs to choose from. I even like Home & Dry, which came out exactly at the right time to hit me and my high school "only rock music is proper music" stance right in the face.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Yup.

I like Home & Dry too, I didn't realize it was unpopular!

If it's not a 4/4 Hi-NRG disco stomper, you can bet that a lot of PSB fans are gonna hate it, with most of Behavior being the exception to the rule. If you go on petshopboys-forum.com, for an example, you'll find that Release as an album has a very bad rep. And while it's not really one of their strongest albums, I always thought that was ridiculous. Love Is A Catastrophe is the best Morrissey song ever written by someone else than Morrissey.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

(Best song is of course Love is a Bourgeois Construct)

Personally, I prefer Axis, which is quite a feat considering it's practically an instrumental.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Also happy 60th (!) birthday to Mr. Neil 'Smash Hits' Tennant.

Time to post my second favourite Neil Tennant picture!

The most favourite obviously being my Hippie-Tennant avater.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Absolutely perfect new video for Robyn and Röyksopp's Monument right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c-RbGZBnBI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Never heard of her before. Slapper isn't really my thing, but Colours I kinda like. Its verses are clearly nicked from Heart of Glass though.