Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's a very strong similarity, not just the chords but most of the melody. Anyone who can't hear it needs their ears checked. Still, I think a lawsuit is completely unnecessary. Or at the very least, completely uncool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hatter106 posted:

Can anyone enlighten me as to why "Uptown Funk" is credited to Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars, when Ronson mostly just wrote it?
I could understand Mars being listed as featured artist if it was a long dance song with some intermittent vocals, but the song basically doesn't work without vocals.
Is this setting a precedent for songwriters to take credit over lead vocalists?

It's from a Mark Ronson album. Each song is Mark Ronson featuring someone. Pretty much like a Daft Punk thing. (Interesting how the two biggest hits of the past 2 years have taken this format...)

And yes, it's an amazing album if you like late '70s / early '80s soul-influenced funk/rock/dance... well this genre description is getting long winded, but just give it a shot.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
A "whoa-oh-oh" chorus with the singalong voices already baked into the mix. For sure. (Unless that was last year's thing and I'm already behind.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

abraham linksys posted:

holding up a sad bored rich white girl as the end-all be-all of pop music at the moment. what on earth.

To be fair, that describes like half of pop music, throughout history.

Anyway, the very first track of Ultraviolence, "Cruel World", is by far the best thing I've heard by her. The rest of the album has its ups and downs. So if that track doesn't impress you, don't get your hopes up for the rest of it.

But I do think that song is brilliant.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's hard enough to get people to buy studio albums. Live albums are probably seen as an even bigger risk, despite the lower production cost. I could see them making a comeback as a digital-only product, but live CDs are probably dead for the most part.
Videos are much more likely. And you do still see those sometimes.

(I know a few years ago there was a growing trend of providing a live recording of a concert as a bonus for people who attended the concert, but I don't know if that ever took off.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was thinking earlier that I'm disappointed saxophone solos didn't make the comeback projected by "The Edge of Glory" and "Last Friday Night".

Bird and the Bee had a pretty slick one this year on the song "Doctor":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zo2UWEq2KY

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

bowser posted:

This also makes me curious...We've been seeing 80s style music make a resurgence recently but has there been any good 90s pop throwback?

HAIM. Especially the song "If I Could Change Your Mind". The keyboard riff in the chorus is the most '90s thing I've heard in quite some time, in the best possible way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljg6g7BAdQo

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
New hotness from Mutemath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMDcRUSmRvk

(This video has been posted by The Tonight Show website, but apparently they're not booked for the show yet and they're testing the waters or something.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 25, 2016

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Picnic Princess posted:

I've been listening to this song for about a year, are you talking about the video?

Yeah basically. It's a "single" now, so I'm posting it in hopes that it will go viral or whatever the kids are saying nowadays.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I guess this would be the thread to post a new Depeche Mode song, right? Because here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpuaPfOuxB0

It's nothing drastically unexpected, but it's got a solid hook and timely lyrics. I feel like it's the first time they've done "social commentary" type lyrics since... maybe as far back as "People Are People", 30+ years ago? (Well, I guess "John The Revelator" too.) But it's refreshing. They're good at it, in small doses.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 3, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Linkin Park is at their best when they stop pretending to be metal and embrace their pop talents, but... yeah, don't know what happened there. Surprisingly generic for a band that's usually reliable for great hooks.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and be that guy and recommend that everyone listen to A Thousand Suns. It's the album Linkin Park was meant to make, for better and worse. It's a blatant anti-nuke message with enough sincerity to have an audio clip of an MLK speech as well as that Robert Oppenheimer quote everyone knows, but it's also got Waiting for the End which has always sounded to me like the thoughts of a person who just swallowed a bunch of pills in an attempt to kill themselves. Like a less screamy version of a song that would have been on Meteora.

I personally believe music history will be kind to that album; to me, it's a (mostly) unqualified masterpiece and the high point of their career. In addition to simply being filled with great, musically diverse songs, the track flow/sequencing is right up there with other classics like NIN's The Fragile.

(I only say "mostly" because the final track, though brief, is painful to listen to and nothing is lost from pretending it doesn't exist.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Escobarbarian posted:

The one LP song I can still play unironically is New Divide. That's from around the Thousand Suns era, right? May have to check the album out.

Some time in between A Thousand Suns and the previous album, actually. But yes, listen to A Thousand Suns. I'd recommend that to just about anyone.

Since we're talking about it so much, might as well post one of the singles from it (which is also one of its best songs and actually, essentially, the climax of the album):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51iquRYKPbs

EDIT: Also, the album they made after that wasn't nearly as good, but it did have a few gems like "Roads Untraveled", which has this great Irish folk song-type vibe to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLgQKiUk7ms

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 23, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Coldplay has written some phenomenal pop songs. I wouldn't say 6 (7?) whole albums' worth, but I can certainly understand their appeal.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean, they've always been pop, but this is upsettingly generic pop. Certainly an odd trajectory their career has taken.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So yeah, new Depeche Mode album. Either I like their recent albums more than most, or critics just have a tendency to overstate their surprise every single time they put out a good album. Inevitably every album they come out with is either "the best since Violator" or "the best since Songs of Faith and Devotion". But anyway. This is definitely, at the very least, another good one. I've only had a chance to second-listen a handful of tracks, but I could see it becoming a favorite. (I think I'm abnormally positive towarrds Sounds of the Universe though.)

"Cover Me" is a definite highlight; I think in terms of pure musical composition, it's one of the prettiest things they've ever done. I'm quite fond of "Poorman" too; reminds me a lot of something from Construction Time Again, but with a more thoughtful and dynamic arrangement. "Scum" is kind of hilariously angry; it's basically like, "Hey greedy rich person, I genuinely want you to kill yourself."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I define pop, broadly, as music that's more concerned with melody and songcraft than performance. The exact musical style changes all the time. As far as Linkin Park is concerned, I've always preferred when they embrace that they're a pop act and not a metal band. But these 2 songs just sound really generic to me.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Having only a passing knowledge of Paramore, I dig the new song.

Also, HAIM finally has a new song out. It's... surprisingly mellow, but I guess I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1LLWHroWgA

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Since there's no Beatles thread (which is fine, I don't suppose we really need one) I just want to mention that the Sgt. Pepper 50th anniversary remix/deluxe edition is available on streaming services now. (It's analogous to the 2-CD package, not the mega-deluxe version with an additional CD of outtakes and other stuff.) Listened to the album proper on the way to work and it sounded great. I grew up with the stereo CD version and it always sounded a little flimsy because of the wide stereo separation. This version fixes that, and also just sounds incredibly clean since they went back to the original tapes. Also, "She's Leaving Home" is sped up, as it was originally intended. (I'm probably always going to be partial to the normal-speed version, as I don't really enjoy the sound of pitch-altered vocals, but objectively it's important that all the songs on the album be at the key and tempo that the band wanted...)

In short I would say the album sounds bigger and smaller at the same time. Tighter and leaner, but more complete. Probably not as new for people who grew up on the mono version, but it'll sound cleaner at least.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 26, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Listening now and I'm pretty much having exactly the same reaction I had to hearing 1 Remastered like a month or so ago: oh my god, this sounds amazing. How are these songs I've been hearing for my entire life sounding better than they ever have before?! :stare::fh:

It's always been obvious that George Martin​ (and to some extent The Beatles themselves) was a master of recording technique, but only recently has it been made clear how muffled the previous releases were. I think we all just assumed they "sounded old" because that's just how the original recordings were.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

the truth posted:

Lana Del Rey's new album is pretty good. Listened to half of it on Spotify before buying it. Some of the features feel out of place (not Sean Lennon), but overall it's not as dull and monotonous as some of her other stuff.

Edit: Finished it. She (and her producers) knocked it out of the park.

Finally got around to it myself. "13 Beaches" is the song I've always wanted her to make. Maybe I'm just a sucker for late '90s trip-hop styled fat drum machines and synth washes, but it's great. And I mean, really, any song where Lana remembers that drums exist is typically a highlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ6jjkoE-zw

The album as a whole is definitely strong, aside from clearly being wayyyy too long. It's admirable that she apparently doesn't care how long people think an album should be, but drat. I wouldn't exactly say it gets boring, which is a victory in itself -- pretty much all of her albums drag in the middle even at 10-20 minutes shorter than this one -- but it's still exhausting. Generally I like long albums, but it's really tough to pull off a long pop album, since the songs are usually all pretty similar structurally and you don't have stuff like instrumentals or shorter interlude-type tracks to break things up. (Although "White Mustang" comes close.) I also wouldn't say any of the songs stick out as being disposable. But this is one album that legitimately would've benefited from the "deluxe edition" treatment, tossing some songs onto a second disc.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 27, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The first half is about peaches, far as I can tell

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

For some reason, I always find it sexy when girl singers do that talk-sing-rap thing, so I wondered who it was when the short commercials started with the "Now look what you made me do,

Have you heard of this one girl Taylor Swift

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Would that really make it "more interesting" in 2017? I feel like it's more unusual to find an artist that doesn't sing about LGBTQ stuff.

In (possibly?) unrelated news, I can confirm that Charlotte Gainsbourg's new album is dope. I wasn't sure what to expect since the writing/production credits have nothing at all to do with her last album IRM, which is the only one I know about. But it's probably even better.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sweetwater Kill posted:

Also I see that McCartney and Guy Manuel de Homem-Christo are involved and I am definitely intrigued.

Their contributions definitely aren't what you'd expect. Not that that's a problem. They do add some variety to the album.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It basically sounds like Prince to me, which is fine

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
He just figured he should finally make music about Timber and Lakes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I assume Chris Stapleton will make an appearance at the Superbowl, because that seems like a solidly guaranteed lighters-in-the-air moment. Or at least like, doing the wave while fireworks go off.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's pretty stupid because he could've just performed the song as a tribute, purple symbol and all, and it wouldn't have been an issue.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Janelle Monáe is doing something that is almost definitely a new album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9k89DYdHKQ

quote:

EMOTION PICTURE (definition): a narrative film and accompanying musical album

I guess it wouldn't be a Janelle Monáe album without some layer of slight pretentiousness to it. But anyway, :hellyeah:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

aBagorn posted:

She has a connection to the spirit world and is literally channeling Prince.

They must've pulled that Spock/McCoy move when they were recording his feature on her last album.

This is great, and the album's only like 2 months away? :woop:

Django is less my thing on first listen, but I'd be disappointed if she didn't do anything that flipped my expectations. So I'll give it time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not to heap too much praise on her, but I really feel like Janelle Monáe could be this generation's David Bowie. She could easily dominate the pop world if she wanted to, but instead she's carving out her own niche and doing all this lofty stuff that would seem pretentious if it weren't so drat good.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

the truth posted:

They did a great cover of Stand By Me a couple years ago for Final Fantasy XV.

Oh, so that wasn't just a weird dream I had.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DC Murderverse posted:

i hope you are all spending the next few days listening to things you love (great albums, the voices of loved ones, the ambient sounds of the places you hold dear, etc) because we are less than 5 days away from never spending a moment not having Janelle Monae's new album beamed directly into our ears and brains.

Pynk and Make Me Feel are miraculous and if the entire album is that good it's gonna be the biggest deal in a long time.

I keep going through a thing where I listen to each new single and think it's not quite grabbing me as much as her other stuff. Then parts of the song end up taking residence in my head and playing over and over and I'm hooked.

It's a good sign, indicating that she's doing something that's different but still just as good.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've been wondering what the little vocal sample at the beginning of "Django Jane" was, since it sounded like Janelle but I didn't quite recognize it. When I heard it show up during "Screwed" I got hyped. And then that run-through of the 3 singles right after that was just perfect.

I was apprehensive about her dropping the Archandroid thing because I absolutely love the track sequencing on those albums. But man, she still really excels at that even when there's no explicit concept to the album.

(Speaking of "explicit", one of Prince's attributes that Janelle Monáe appears to have inherited is having every song tagged as "Explicit" even when they're not. Although most of them are.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think I would be really into 21 Pilots if I were about 10 years younger. That's not exactly a criticism, I just think it works better at that stage of life.

I really like the studio session they did with Mutemath, though. Not surprising since I'm a huge MM fan, but I thought that energy was something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfEFq_NRZu4

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I can't tell if this is double-triple-ironic or just straight-faced Rock Music Critic wankery, but either way it's hilarious and only makes me like Weezer's cover of Africa more.

http://www.realclearlife.com/music/weezers-africa-worst-pop-recording-time/

Rock is dead, and that's fine. It's been around for like 70 years, how much more rock music do you need?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This is where people talked about the Sgt. Pepper reissue last year, right? Because it's that time of year again, but this time it's The White Album!

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/the-beatles-announce-white-album-deluxe-50th-anniversary-edition-1202954236/

Because this is a general discussion thread I'm not going to fill it up with the entire tracklist, but there's an entire 4 discs of rough cuts. Unsurprising when you consider there are bootlegs that have even more (I count at least 6 discs!) -- I wonder how much of it is really going to be previously unreleased, and how much will just be the first official release. The Rolling Stone article below makes it sound like there's some truly new stuff, but you can't really be sure they have no skin in the game.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/beatles-unheard-white-album-exclusive-first-listen-727928/

The 2 main discs are a new stereo mix intended to be faithful to the original stereo mix; in other words, probably nothing quite as exciting as the Pepper remix, which was the first properly done stereo mix that album ever had. I expect this to be more of a slight improvement in quality. There will also be a new transfer of the mono mix, but it will apparently be sequestered to the Blu-ray, since I guess there are enough discs in this thing already. And finally, just because: a 5.1 mix. I can't really imagine most of these songs benefiting from it, since they mostly have a pretty stripped down vibe, but sure. Why not? Hopefully Revolution 9 in 5.1 is every bit as insane as it should be.

(I also wonder if the session tracks will include the incredibly profane early demo of "Sexy Sadie", which would be enough to warrant a Parental Advisory sticker, not that the record label necessarily has to do anything if they don't feel like it.)

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 24, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So they've released two "singles" from the White Album remix so far, Back In The USSR and While My Guitar Gently Weeps, each with an outtake and an Esher Demo. I was skeptical, but it seems like they're really bringing the goods. The new mixes really bring something new to the table; even though there was always a good stereo mix, these feel more modern. And the outtakes so far are ones I've actually never heard before. (Although I think USSR is the take they used for the finished track? I had no idea they originally played it slow, if indeed that's the case.) And the Esher Demos are a massive increase in quality from what I've heard before. They're crystal-frickin-clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
We're one week out from The Beatles' white album remix, and a "Glass Onion" single is now on streaming services. This is the first remix that's truly blown me away. It goes hard. The drums and bass pound in a way they never have before. The strings are mixed pretty aggressively, which some might not like, but I do. This really gets me excited for the full release next week.

The Esher demo is mostly identical to what was on Anthology, but I guess they can't exactly materialize a new Esher demo out of thin air.