Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

How would you rank them? As far as the big ones go, I think Lady Gaga and Adele are probably the most consistently good. Rihanna often seems to be somewhere in the middle but maybe I've not heard enough of her live performances to reach a fair conclusion. I've heard that Britney Spears is quite good when she's actually singing, and obviously Christina Aguilera used to be ranked at the very top, though she's not really as highly regarded of late (ignoring lazy fat jokes, can she even be called a "big" pop girl any more?).

Not sure about Taylor Swift. She seems pretty divisive in this regard; I've seen some incredibly poor live vocal performances from her but at the same time I've seen others that were very good. She seems much better when she's performing songs she's written herself (not an indictment on the quality of songs she's recorded that she didn't write, keep in mind).

Hmm, I'd pretty much rate them the same. Adele is probably something of a 'voice of a decade' or whatever, we'll see how that goes. Gaga (sadly the only one I've personally seen live) is really good, oddly I know a lot of people who don't think she is (something to do with how on the radio you can't really tell?). Rihanna can be pretty good IF she feels like it, lately she doesn't seem to care, though. I think Britney is very much the same although with that Las Vegas thing she kinda needs to put out solid vocals. Christina (not fat at all) has apparently hurt her voice a bit, but like Mariah is still very good but both of them are more of the 'old guard' types (Britney has managed to escape that, I guess) - like "Hey remember when Christina went Yeeahayayahahahoohayahahayahahooooaahhhh and everyone was like …gently caress". I think Taylor is pretty good, she isn't a powerhouse obviously but everything I've seen/heard has been nice. It helps that, like you said, her songs are right for her, unlike Katy who has a surprisingly large amount of songs she really has trouble with because they didn't account for her abilities, which makes her seem worse than she probably is.

Obviously everyone can have lovely days and I can't claim to have seen every performance, best or worst or whatever (and I am also not totally unbiased regarding Taylor, which I think is also a considerable factor).

Oh and Beyonce is somewhere in there too, but I kinda forgot.

RIP Whitney, best of the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

There's two big omissions I can't believe I forgot. As you mentioned, Beyoncé is one of them, and the other is Kelly Clarkson, both of whom regularly sing well in a live setting. I might mention Carrie Underwood as well.

As an aside, I think the worst vocalist I've ever actually seen live was probably Meat Loaf in 2010. It's kind of hard to explain what it sounded like; sort of like he was trying to mumble and bellow at the same time. Huge let down, because I was a big fan of Meat Loaf at the time (and I still am a fan of most of his music, as my username might attest) and his band were absolutely phenomenal (especially Patti Russo, his current duets partner).

I actually dread (and kinda avoid) live performances for this exact (admittedly silly) reason - what if it sucks? There isn't much worse that can happen, is there? Especially if it's someone you really like. 'Thankfully' we don't get a lot of action around here (Robbie Williams did pop up in August, that was pretty cool) but something on the TV or on Youtube will do it and then you just sit there, cringing.

OK maybe they have a sore throat or are drunk as hell or their technique just isn't that good, but is it selfish to watch/go to a concert to see/hear my favourite songs/singer and expect them to pull it off?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

That's a good question and I'm not really sure what the answer would be. I suppose if someone holds themself out as a professional singer you should be able to reasonably expect a certain degree of ability, but at the same time I wouldn't expect a singer to sound exactly like they do on record; I think there's certain allowances you can make for live performance.

Oh by all means I'm not expecting opera, just… I don't know… mostly on-key and not totally out of breath during long notes.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I enjoyed the Britney video.

Bangerz is a loving mess. I like it.

E - Although it's weird how she was like "Every song is going to be a banger that's why it's Bangerz" and it really isn't.

Sprat Sandwich fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 2, 2013

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I went to a 90's party a while back and it was quite surprising to hear/remember exactly how similar some of those songs really are - "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" & "Larger Than Life" and "Oops!… I Did It Again" & "Hit Me Baby One More Time" sound EXTREMELY similar to each other (can you plagiarize your own stuff?). We have people who use very similar (still people asking for 'the next …') production (Calvin Harris, Will.I.am, Guetta etc.) but those are almost like they changed the key, wrote new lyrics and released (probably what happened). Martin's current productions are quite varied in comparison to his earlier stuff. Thanks Pro Tools.

Oh and speaking of Kelly Clarkson… Her Christmas thing? Incredible.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3jzMyYgPQs
Gaga and R Kelly

This is the dopest poo poo ever

Gaga's vocals :eyepop:

B-Side posted:

Over the past year, Chloe Howl has been releasing singles (with an album supposedly coming next year). No Strings is pretty fantastic, but I'm also _really_ digging her new one, Paper Heart:

http://vevo.ly/49e07J

Yeah, Chlöe owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKLhnEFwH2c

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Hey the new Cut Copy album Free Your Mind is streaming on http://www.cutcopy.net and it is GREAT.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Hell has frozen over because Sky Ferreira has finally released Night Time, My Time, her oft delayed debut album.

Is it worth the wait? Well yeah I mean it's not going to bring about world peace or anything but if you have enjoyed her previous output it's uhh more Sky Ferreira.

"24 Hours", "Nobody Asked Me (If I Was Okay)" and "Heavy Metal Heart" are my favourites at this moment.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Praise the lord.

E - Lol

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Lana is Hipster Jesus. She was crucified by her own people for violating their arcane authenticity laws, only to be resurrected more powerful than before in the hearts and minds of gentile teenage girls, easily converted from the false idols of Bieber and Ke$ha.

Oh and this owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge0suUwoz-M

Sprat Sandwich fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 7, 2013

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

nyquil hangover posted:

Lily Allen is back!

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this song/video. But I'm glad she's making music again :)

I watched that real drowsy last night and decided I hallucinated most of that.

Um… right. Regardless, I'm happy she's back.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg4-WxXvde4

Tropico. December 5.

Stalins Moustache posted:

I think that, similar to Applause, that it won't have huge n.1 sales but it'll have steady sales all through the end of this year and the start of the next. It's not a top hit album with huge club songs, and it wasn't marketed to hell and back as BTW was.

Second week is 50k though.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Say Lou Lou, MNEK or Chlöe Howl, please.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I never would've thought that Miley Cyrus and Ariana Grande would put out 2 of the best pop albums of the year, but look at that, they did. 2013 was a weird year for music.

Hell yeah they did.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

She's black.

edit: The Grammys are an extension of music industry advertising so all the various catagories are more about markets than anything musical.

Ahem, Rihanna is the Black Madonna.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Britney Jean was so disappointing :( I thought it was going to grow on me, but it didn't. It's very forgettable.

Alien is cool though

Britney Jean was pretty middling.

Oh and Charli XCX is releasing a new album in June. In hindsight the debut wasn't as great as it could've been but eh, can't win them all.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I thought that was Janet Jackson?

Not according to Rihanna.

Okay so she said that a couple of years ago (she also wasn't being totally serious, I guess).

Although is there really a black Madonna? It might be Janet. It might not. Do we need titles for everyone?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

It's my favourite album of the year, hit after hit after hit

I dunno, I think the singles are all truly great but somehow the other songs don't do it for me? Weird.

Also after whateverthefuck Beyonce has, out of the blue, only put a new album on iTunes without any promo or plane trip or other dumb stuff like that.

Umm…

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Kylie Minogue is working with will.i.am on her new album :(

I feel like their sound isn't compatible at all. I'm worried she's going to try too hard to break into the US and the album will be generic garbage. Don't do it Kylie!!!

Eh, it's only a couple of songs and we can't be sure they'll be on the record and with the first single coming out real soon just stay positive.

I BELIEVE IN YOU KYLIE DONT gently caress IT UP

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

That news was sad, I love Ke$ha and people said terrible things about her body. I hope she gets better soon :(

drat, that's the first I've heard of this. Why are people such jerks.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Omi-Polari posted:

Yeah.

I'm super pumped for this below. Song landed late last month but the album is due in February.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOboa27SHDE

This is great. Album is going to be great.

There's also a new Kylie song out it's called 'Into The Blue'. It's OK if kinda generic. Then again not every song can be 'I Just Can't Get You Out of My Head'.

Sprat Sandwich fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 24, 2014

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

the truth posted:

Is there no way to buy the song in America? I want to pay money for this.

Well since the UK doesn't believe in on-air-on-sale it actually releases on January 26th. I don't know if it is worldwide, though.

It's up on Spotify.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I remember really getting in to the 'Get Lucky' snippets and the song is pretty good but except for that RAM is the most boring album I listened to last year.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Funniest moment of the night was a fleeting glimpse of Taylor Swift getting her "surprised face" ready just before RAM was announced as AOTY.

… is RAM!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Well, hey, at least we know what she looks like when she's actually surprised now!

To be fair for a split second I also thought Red had won. I propose from this moment onwards all nominations ever must start with a different letter.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Great more bad music on the top of the charts.

WELCOME TO THE NEW AGE

TO THE NEW AGE

Eh, I've heard worse songs.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

'Ultraviolence' will come out and Lana Del Rey will be crowned Empress of the Galaxy.

'Nocturnes' from Little Boots is still my favourite album of 2013.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Vanbot is pretty cool. Really you can't go wrong with some Swedish sadbangers.

Also there is a new Florrie EP coming this ~spring~ it's called Sirens it's gonna be great.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

I'm excited about this because I think she's great but for gently caress's sake, when is she going to do a real album :mad: I read her recent update where she said she'd been working day in day out on her album for a year, so why can't I hear it :( I just feel like I've been listening to her EPs forever with the promise of something bigger always around the everlasting corner

I know, right? I'm also pretty bummed that every EP has less songs than the previous one yet the gaps between them grows ever longer. I guess she's been writing for other people, too, but still. GET ON WITH IT FLORRIE! Christ.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Ahh, playing Settlers 3 with 'Believe' blasting on the radio.

Good times :unsmith:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

If any of you UK people didn't use your chance to get some loving KATE BUSH tickets I will look at you with contempt.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

Not from the UK, but I guess I'll make a short vacation there come September, 'cause I somehow managed to get a ticket! All 22 shows have sold out in less than half an hour. And she has pretty much confirmed that The Ninth Wave will be part of the show. I can die happy (after September, please).

Hate you so much right now :mad:

Congrats man. I would've been all over this but I just can't afford to travel that much, even if it is for loving KATE BUSH.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

HEEEYYY!

YOU KNOCK ME OFFOFMY FEET NOOW BAYBEE HOOOOOOOOO!

There's a new Michael Jackson album coming May 13th it's called XSCAPE.

'Michael' was kinda bad but this might turn out to be good.

AHEEE HEEEAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yURRmWtbTbo

gently caress

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Here's 'West Coast' a new Lana Del Rey song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3SqUUoJjW8
I'm not entirely convinced.

Here's 'Monument' a snippet of a new Robyn/Röyksopp song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nek-IvGpe0w
There's a 5 track 'mini album' (…so an EP?) coming May 26th.

Reminder this is what Robyn/Röyksopp created last time they did something together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EJUCkSMN4k

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Spiteski posted:

What the loving gently caress.

Did some rich random just pay her retarded amounts of money for that? Because holy crap that's bad. I can't even like it in a funny hate-like way.
And it's so out of nowhere. She surely hasn't stooped this low? I mean, her last two albums were pretty good for the most part.

She has a sizeable audience in Japan. She is also quite into Hello Kitty.

It's a complete mess though.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Speaking of popstars of the olden days - Mariah Carey is rumored to be the one 'doing a Beyoncé'.

It probably won't go well.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I'd like to thank Shakira and her rendition of 'Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)' for helping my squad through some mind-numbing times.

LOVE YOUUUU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

the truth posted:

Wasn't "The Art Of Letting Go" supposed to be the name of the album for a hot minute? The single had the same swimsuit and sunset on the cover as the final album, but now it's reduced to being a bonus track on the deluxe version of the album.

Presumably because it didn't exactly set the charts on fire they decided to change/bonus track it.

Also 'elusive' is probably the last thing to use to describe Mariah unless you're talking of her recent chart successes. It's a pretty ridiculously great album name though.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Has anyone heard Lily Allen's new album yet? Is it any good?

I too gave it a whirl and I also think it's worth a listen. I like Air Balloon, L8 CMMR, Take My Place and Our Time although I'll be the first to admit those are the more 'poppy' songs on the album.

The album's definitely quite RnB influenced.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

"New things."

ITS GONNA HAPPEN

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

The new La Roux single Let Me Down Gently premiered today (http://minuetaxtinalol.tumblr.com/post/85412622568).
I've only listened to it once so far, and while it's nice enough, I'm not sure if it's a good comeback single. I think they need something more immediate than a nearly six minute mid-tempo track. I hope they don't make the same mistake as Little Boots and follow up their debut of great three minute pop songs with an album of lengthy mood pieces. Not that the music can't be fantastic, but it's career suicide.

I thought Let Me Down Gently is a 'buzz single', no? Regardless I think it's really good. Slight Sinead O'Connor feelings. Also that sax is killer.

LA ROUX TROUBLE IN PARADISE 7 7 2014 MARK IT DOWN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

Is it? I've only seen it referred to as the lead single, with no hint of another single in the pipeline. The albums out in seven weeks, so if there is supposed to be a big push single they don't have THAT much time left to build up hype. That cover is fantastic, by the way!

I remember seeing that it is but now I can't find anything. You're probably right and I'm dumb. And yeah, that cover rocks. Straight out of some 60s brochure.